Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Age of Discovery Review

13»

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Im subbed to EQ2 and TOR (as well as LOTRO), all are good games but different experiences.  TOR may have the epic storyline and give you a heroic perspective, but that is about it.   You cant explore.  There is no real crafting, no player housing, no space exploration and the list goes on.  I am level 24 on TOR but havent logged on since early January. To me, the 'epic' storyline is too linear.  Hell, I can even turn myself into a dark jedi. 

EQ2 while older and definitely showing its age, is a more mature full fledged RPG that contains content that cannot be beat.  Yes the quests are kill X of Y things, but TOR has it too.  Fix six pipes, plant 5 bombs, its all the same.  I dont see it as a problem, but more a staple of current MMOs.

EQ2 calls to the MMO player who longs for the journey over end-game, doesnt care about PvP, and wants to get lost in the lore.  I have yet to find an MMO to compete with what EQ2 offers.

I eagerly await the Secret World, and Guild Wars 2.

• MajesticoMajestico Member UncommonPosts: 481
    i am wondering how this freetoplay model is going to effect some of my favourite games, namely this and lotro. To be honest i cannot imagine soe giving away anything for free, so i doubt there will be much offered without having to dip into my ever shrinking pocket. I stopped playing only because my gf played and we split up in rl, so being apart in real life, i certainly did not want to bump into her in a virtual world. This idea of dungeon making sounds brilliant. Does it mean that my mates can put their toons through my creation? Does it cost in game money or real money to get the monsters and decorations? Is the xp gained real from visiting a player's dungeon? I really like this idea, and i wonder why at a time when peo?e want a sand box, and theme park style game, that this has not had more hype.
  • BWDuty605BWDuty605 Member Posts: 2

I just dropped $40 for this expansion (which I'm sure is geared toward very high end players), and I haven't played in quite some time (still in pre TSO gear).  I've since heard that, unlike the previous seven or eight expansions, the previous expansions aren't included.

I basically wasted $40 for an expansion I can't even play, and am going to have to spend more money on previous expansions.  I decided to start back up on EQ2 because I used to be very big into it (between my wife and I we have about 6 level 80 toons and about the same number of level 80 tradeskillers).  

If this rumor is true I'm going to be grossly disappointed and probably won't activate my account as well.  I hope they offer some type of refund to (previously) hard-core players who have been deceived.  They never specified that the other expansions were not included, and after playing since launch it never crossed my mind that I would be until I was surfing the web while AoD loaded in the process of getting excited.  It's not like it costs them extra money to include the extra expansions, their R&D costs have already been recovered and the cost of a couple extra DVDs is very minimal to keep happy customers, esecially when they are making a fortune off of their in-game items for sale for cash.  

• BWDuty605BWDuty605 Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by BWDuty605

I just dropped $40 for this expansion (which I'm sure is geared toward very high end players), and I haven't played in quite some time (still in pre TSO gear).  I've since heard that, unlike the previous seven or eight expansions, the previous expansions aren't included.

I basically wasted $40 for an expansion I can't even play, and am going to have to spend more money on previous expansions.  I decided to start back up on EQ2 because I used to be very big into it (between my wife and I we have about 6 level 80 toons and about the same number of level 80 tradeskillers).  

If this rumor is true I'm going to be grossly disappointed and probably won't activate my account as well.  I hope they offer some type of refund to (previously) hard-core players who have been deceived.  They never specified that the other expansions were not included, and after playing since launch it never crossed my mind that they would not be until I was surfing the web while AoD loaded in the process of getting excited.  It's not like it costs them extra money to include the extra expansions, their R&D costs have already been recovered and the cost of a couple extra DVDs is very minimal to keep happy customers, esecially when they are making a fortune off of their in-game items for sale for cash.  

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by BWDuty605

im sorry you had unpleasant surprise that expansions are no longer bundled

SOE hasnt bundled expansions in over 2 years

all adventure content up to Sundered Frontier (expansion after TSO) is accessible with no purchase

you can level to 90 with the free content of SF

only one expansion is needed for progression,  Destiny of Velious,  available for 20.00 direct from SOE

DOV is worthless until you are level 86 - no need to buy content otherwise

I basically wasted $40 for an expansion I can't even play

you can start using AOD now

AOD features are for *all levels* except for the 20AA increase which you wont care about unless you already have 300 AA

AOD is a feature expansion, giving you access to

- mercenaries

- Beastlord (a new class)

- dungeonmaker (players will be allowed to play their own characters in a few weeks)