Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Roleplay anymore?

I used to play LoTRO alot, I love the setting and I love Hobbits. Infact, I've recently reread "The Hobbit" which had given me an intch to play once more. 

But with going F2P, I can't help but wonder if 

1. It's worth returning to the game at all.

and

2. Does anyone RP any longer?

See, I enjoy roleplay, it's what I tend to mostly do in any MMO I play, LotRO was no different.

Comments

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Tons of RP on landroval.  I don't participate myself, but you always see tons of people everywhere RPing.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

I can confirm that on Landroval.  I don't roleplay much, but I see it everywhere. 

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

This has always been one of the RP'd games I have ever seen, and that has not changed a bit.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

It is def not worth coming back, it changed for the worse. Lack of content, pay2win models...have you not seen all the negative threads listed on this forum section? 

Landy is the unofficial rp server though.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Excatly what are you paying to win with?

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    Originally posted by Horusra

uber-morale potions, stat tomes (now up to what, +70 or+ 80?), and most recently, those star light crystals. $15 to boost the DPS of your LI.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Originally posted by trancejeremy
    Originally posted by Horusra

uber-morale potions, stat tomes (now up to what, +70 or+ 80?), and most recently, those star light crystals. $15 to boost the DPS of your LI.

My god, you just annihilated him with that you said +1 lol.

What you said it spot on, but i know there is more pay2win items on the store.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

Pay 2 Win is really dumb terminology for Lotro.  This is a PVE game so if your buying items your buying them for convenience.  How exactly do you Win in a PvE game??  PvE games are all about YOUR experience through the story and game world.  If you choose to buy items from the store, then you are only altering your experience.  While I don't always like the way the store and the way items can be designed with the store in mind, it doesn't really affect my LoTRO experience. 

Now if you take a game like Eve, that has a very complex economy has widescale world pvp, Pay 2 Win would apply to that.   You definitely gain an advantage with store items in a competitive pvp game.

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Odysses

Pay 2 Win is really dumb terminology for Lotro.  This is a PVE game so if your buying items your buying them for convenience.  How exactly do you Win in a PvE game??  PvE games are all about YOUR experience through the story and game world.  If you choose to buy items from the store, then you are only altering your experience.  While I don't always like the way the store and the way items can be designed with the store in mind, it doesn't really affect my LoTRO experience. 

Now if you take a game like Eve, that has a very complex economy has widescale world pvp, Pay 2 Win would apply to that.   You definitely gain an advantage with store items in a competitive pvp game.

The main thing I could see being a problem in this game is grouping. I have not played in a while however so not sure if groups are refusing to take players without such bonuses. I could easily see the raid groups refusing someone because they lack such an item since that tends to happen anyways during raids if someone is lacking specific gear. Also the game does offer PvP, though to a much lesser point.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

Originally posted by Odysses

Exactly how can you win in a PVE game? let me tell you.

Since this is supose to be a endgame raid/instance type of game, people who buy those stats/etc.. from the store are in advantage with other players who did not, or someone with those store bought items can get accepted to the group of the instance/raid than the person who did not. 

Those that bought those uber morale/power pots + perks from the store have a higher chance of downing the boss or instances, its really simple to understand. Don't forget there are other items ( a lot of items) you can buy from the store to make things easier for you, this is all pay2win model and its pathetic. Why should someone who earns his stuff for 2weeks+ have that taken away from him from a person who just buys it in 5seconds.