Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forget your log in? Forget this game then!

mmodannommodanno Member Posts: 163

Played STO day one, loved it and had a Tier .. 10, I think.. whatever the highest one is.. with borg stuff stuck all over it.

Like most, game got stale and I left.

Been a few years and I thought I would check it out.  Went to log in and couldn't.  Did the log in look up, and got back an email with a name that I know I didnt use.  I have 3 email accounts I use for everything, and I ran through this will all.

Only 2 got a hit for log in, and one of those log ins won't connect at all.

So, even though I would love to get back in the game, somehow my account info was lost and as well as ship, gear and crew with it.

I remember liking the game for a bit, but not enough to grind through and level up to the big ships again.  I can see why this game has become linked with MMO 'failure'.

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

As I recall, they made everyone do a password reset some time back. If you didn't, you can't log in. Contact CS.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I think PWE made it so that you need to link your Cryptic account with a PWE account. If you do not have a PWE account, you need to make one.

As far as requesting your former log in info, yeah, what whitelantern said.

• mmodannommodanno Member Posts: 163

Thanks for the points.

Already did the 'look up' on thier site.  It brings back bogus log in names.  Nothing to link to PW anyway.

Too bad.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by mmodanno

Played STO day one, loved it and had a Tier .. 10, I think.. whatever the highest one is.. with borg stuff stuck all over it.

Been a few years and I thought I would check it out.  Went to log in and couldn't.  Did the log in look up, and got back an email with a name that I know I didnt use.  I have 3 email accounts I use for everything, and I ran through this will all.

So, even though I would love to get back in the game, somehow my account info was lost and as well as ship, gear and crew with it.

I remember liking the game for a bit, but not enough to grind through and level up to the big ships again.  I can see why this game has become linked with MMO 'failure'.

Just request a password reset.  Of course, this could have something to do with the recent Cryptic/PWE account link that a lot of people seem to hate.  I personally have had no bad experiences with it, but it seems that I am in the minority, as a lot of people do seem to be complaining about similar things.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Thanks for the points.

Already did the 'look up' on thier site.  It brings back bogus log in names.  Nothing to link to PW anyway.

Too bad.

Ah, Im sorry about the problems. Did you go here as well? The support link on the STO website goes to the PWE page. I think all the account issues such as log in info retrieval probably goes through on PWE's end now, since the linking of accounts was required. I would just provide the e-mail(s) you remember using or thought you used and make a ticket.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

As I recall, they made everyone do a password reset some time back. If you didn't, you can't log in. Contact CS.

What's sad is he doesn't even have to contact them they have a form that's really easy to find that lets him spend five minutes switching. It's really not that difficult.

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by WhiteLantern As I recall, they made everyone do a password reset some time back. If you didn't, you can't log in. Contact CS.
    What's sad is he doesn't even have to contact them they have a form that's really easy to find that lets him spend five minutes switching. It's really not that difficult.

True, the forums would also be a good resource.

Thanks for the help.. and no thanks for the snide comments.

Trouble is my email seems to be now linked to a different acount.  I've submitted a ticket.

• ThreeSixtyThreeSixty Member UncommonPosts: 41

The forced password reset was a result of the infamous Cryptic hack, which they notified us about some 16? months or so after it actually happened.  Plenty of info on that here and elsewhere on the interwebs.

Not aware of them forcing conversion to PWE on accounts - I still have my original Cryptic login info and no access to PWE info.  Login gives a choice of either/or.  At any rate, this merger hasn't caused any issues for me personally like forcing battle.net down my throat years ago did by Blizzard.  Good luck, hopefully they can figure out where your original characters are!

Originally posted by ThreeSixty
    The forced password reset was a result of the infamous Cryptic hack, which they notified us about some 16? months or so after it actually happened.  Plenty of info on that here and elsewhere on the interwebs.Not aware of them forcing conversion to PWE on accounts - I still have my original Cryptic login info and no access to PWE info.  Login gives a choice of either/or.  At any rate, this merger hasn't caused any issues for me personally like forcing battle.net down my throat years ago did by Blizzard.  Good luck, hopefully they can figure out where your original characters are!

If you arent aware of the conversion, then you may want to look at the front page of the STO website. Ill link it for you so you can become informed.
    Conversion FAQ

You may still be able to log in with a cryptic account, but that will change once PWE makes conversion mandatory, which they plan on doing.

Trouble is my email seems to be now linked to a different acount.  I've submitted a ticket.

Bah, think nothing of the snideness. Its a natural reaction from the games loyal players against anyone that has a beef with any aspect against the game.

Three sixty is right though. Cryptic made everyone reset their passwords over a security breach that they had just discovered that happened in 2010.
    Link to an article about it

• ThreeSixtyThreeSixty Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Cacaphony

The forced password reset was a result of the infamous Cryptic hack, which they notified us about some 16? months or so after it actually happened.  Plenty of info on that here and elsewhere on the interwebs.

Not aware of them forcing conversion to PWE on accounts - I still have my original Cryptic login info and no access to PWE info.  Login gives a choice of either/or.  At any rate, this merger hasn't caused any issues for me personally like forcing battle.net down my throat years ago did by Blizzard.  Good luck, hopefully they can figure out where your original characters are!

If you arent aware of the conversion, then you may want to look at the front page of the STO website. Ill link it for you so you can become informed.
    Conversion FAQ

You may still be able to log in with a cryptic account, but that will change once PWE makes conversion mandatory, which they plan on doing.

I take the ostrich approach to STO.  The only time I check their site/forum is when someone posts a link from here (as you did).  Otherwise, yeah, I try to stay uninformed.  It lessens the pain of having bought the lifetime sub two years ago.  A little.

I'll wait until they force it on me then do it.  That approach seems to work for my kids to just about everything.  Thanks for the link.

Originally posted by Cacaphony   Originally posted by ThreeSixty The forced password reset was a result of the infamous Cryptic hack, which they notified us about some 16? months or so after it actually happened.  Plenty of info on that here and elsewhere on the interwebs.   Not aware of them forcing conversion to PWE on accounts - I still have my original Cryptic login info and no access to PWE info.  Login gives a choice of either/or.  At any rate, this merger hasn't caused any issues for me personally like forcing battle.net down my throat years ago did by Blizzard.  Good luck, hopefully they can figure out where your original characters are!
      If you arent aware of the conversion, then you may want to look at the front page of the STO website. Ill link it for you so you can become informed. Conversion FAQ You may still be able to log in with a cryptic account, but that will change once PWE makes conversion mandatory, which they plan on doing.
    I take the ostrich approach to STO.  The only time I check their site/forum is when someone posts a link from here (as you did).  Otherwise, yeah, I try to stay uninformed.  It lessens the pain of having bought the lifetime sub two years ago.  A little.

I'll wait until they force it on me then do it.  That approach seems to work for my kids to just about everything.  Thanks for the link.

Ah, that is understandable. I don't really like that I have to have a PWE account to play the game or log into the forums, but I guess its just a sign of how times are changing with the game. Oh well.

For the record, I can log in fine, (after a password reset), trouble is that my email account(s) are now linked to a different username.    i.e.  I do the "forgot username" for an email address, and it pulls up a different STO account name then the one that has all the high level gear and ships on.

I've been round and round on this so much I'm not even sure what the account name was now!  lol.  I only use a couple email accounts for everything, so for whatever reason, STO has overwritten my old account and lost it.

Snide comments?

For the record, I can log in fine, (after a password reset), trouble is that my email account(s) are now linked to a different username.    i.e.  I do the "forgot username" for an email address, and it pulls up a different STO account name then the one that has all the high level gear and ships on.

I've been round and round on this so much I'm not even sure what the account name was now!  lol.  I only use a couple email accounts for everything, so for whatever reason, STO has overwritten my old account and lost it.

Well that sucks.  I can't remember how many times I have played a game, stopped playing for a long time, and then came back only to find out I can't remember my account name or password.  Worst time though was after not playing WoW for years, I got an email saying I had been banned for gold spamming.  I was pretty scared at that point, but after resetting my password and setting up a battle.net authenticator, I was relieved to find out that the hacker only tried using me to gold spam.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I am dropping this game. I have heard Griffis has left. STO is breaking apart with these changes. Yes, obvious statement but by no means invalid.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Sorry for your troubles but don't worry about it.  Its a blessing in disguise.

Originally posted by nyxium

I am dropping this game. I have heard Griffis has left. STO is breaking apart with these changes. Yes, obvious statement but by no means invalid.

So are you dropping the game because it no longer holds your interest or because you think that STO is going to sink without Griffis?

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

I've had similar issues with my Cryptic accounts.  It's probably related to the account merger of Cryptic accounts with PWE accounts.

Since Champions online beta, I've made 2 or 3 different Cryptic accounts.  One of those accounts had all of my good stuff for STO (pre-order bonuses, etc.).  I couldn't remember which account was which, and couldn't even remember which email address was assigned to which account.

The account containing all of my STO goodies was registered to an email address which I no longer have access to (from my old ISP).  I had to contact Cryptic's live support and chat with someone, and by the end of the discussion, I had my account back and I was playing STO again.

It does seem like a headache, but if you really want your account back, then contact support and they'll help you out.  It's in their best interest to recover your account, otherwise they'll probably lose you as a customer.

Originally posted by MadDemon64

Originally posted by mmodanno Thanks for the help.. and no thanks for the snide comments. Trouble is my email seems to be now linked to a different acount.  I've submitted a ticket.
    Snide comments?

I think he was referring to what itgrowls said in response to what whitelantern said.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by nyxium

So are you dropping the game because it no longer holds your interest or because you think that STO is going to sink without Griffis?

Neither, but the lousy feeling from the transition of the STO / PWE forums and account mishaps are enough. Griffis leaving was certainly a deciding factor due to other content staff leaving.

• AgoraAgora Member Posts: 9

My account has vanished into thin air. I did log in a few months ago and might even have merged into Perfect World, or not. I'm not sure. I've tried to follow some instructions with no luck and I don't even see a 'forgot password' link anywhere.