Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat is terrible, worse beyond Kingsmouth

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by trash656

Everyone who plays this game knows the combat is horrible, or should have at least the common sense to know it's far from perfect.

But, Some of You People on this site seem to come here just to complain like bed wetting, infants. Funcom have already stated themselfs countless times on their forums that the combat system is not up to par, and they are looking to improve the character creation and combat system in the next comming months. They already know this so it isn't an issue. Whining about it won't get you anywhere, or make the game any better then it is. If you are dissapointed by the game then why did you sit and play through all the beta's? what kind of a slow-minded assinine-moron gamer  realizes the game isn't what he expected after playing the game after months of beta testing? I'm sorry but I just don't understand that logic.

This flat out not true. Maybe you got you information second hand, idk but you should probably check you sources better.  Who ever you heard this from flat out made it up. I'd call that person a liar. 

Maybe I'm mistaken. You mind showing a link, or two since countless was said?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by Piiritus

I played probably every big MMO there is. I played computer games since C64 days, I made maps on chequered paper and journal entries on paper, and I played computer games in days when they were *really* difficult.

Difference is: then was then and now is now. I changed. My patience is now that I am in my advanced age of 41, less. I still want to think, puzzle, combine and try out. But I do *not* want certain levels of frustration, and as one compatriot here pointed out: as I see it Funcom is here in real danger to lose a majority of it's players soon. I know and totally respect that some people like exactly that difficulty. That's ok. When I was 20, I liked that too. But now I have an adult life, and I game less for proving myself, I play to relax. And while I was totally ready to go back to a previous zone and repeat it COMPLETELY one time to alter my skill-set, and I was trying out 20-30 combinations, that is as far as my patience goes. A game must welcome me. It must adapt to my playstyle and my wishes, I do not want a sort of "education" game which forces me to look after optimal built guides. I want a game where I with my level of intelligence can within a reasonable time of study and experiment can come up with a built that allows me a fluid experience.

Atm TSW does NOT allow that. And imvpo I think that is a flaw. I did reasonable amounts of study, experimentation and trying out stuff into it, and at a certain point a game just has to work. A game needs a certain natural flow. And TSW just doesn't have this flow. There were just many places in Blue Mountain area where the mobs respawned faster than I could kill then. Period. And trust me, when you try 30 builts with your QL5-6 gear, that is as good as it gets.

Let's just not be in denial. This game has a big issue. Period.

So basically you are mad because TSW is not holding your hand? Sometimes I wonder if so called "experienced MMO players" even know what they actually want - they complain that games have become too easy but if some MMO tries to break out from WoW formula and brings back a bit challenge they start to complain that they expect their Farmville. 

But you here expect TSW to be different from what it is because YOU have changed and you want it. Sorry but this sounds like a spoiled kid of a MEMEME generation on ego trip. Being a complete casual myself these days I enjoy TSW and I enjoy it being a little bit harder than an average MMO.

There are many shades of grey between easy - difficult - challanging - tiresome and overly complicated.

Hey, of course it is MY wishes. I pay, I say my wish. What's wrong with that?

Man if the game is too hard either get better or quit.  You've asked for help numerous people have offered yet you are still saying it's too frustrating/complicated/ too hard for you. 

What do you want us to do? What do you want Funcom to do?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Zookz1

I've seen several people say that combat is lame, but I've not seen a post elaborate on it. What about it is so shockingly bad in comparison to the other tab target MMOs? All of these games are button mashers, so I'm not exactly sure what that's supposed to mean. I started mashing macro's in FFXI in 2004. I still mash buttons now.

What is an example of a game that does combat well?

Lotro

Champions Online

Age of Conan (melee, NOT magic!)

Rift

WOW (say what you want)

GW2 (as far as I played, it was similar action-y and still managable)

SWG post-CU and pre-NGE (skill based)

EQ2 in it's later years

Those had good combat systems, even if all had different systems, they worked. They were right with the difficulty compared to the mobs.

TSW is not.

Right, but you basically ignored the entire first part of my post. What about those combat systems are so great in comparison to TSW? You're complaint is difficulty? If that's the case, I assume you just got to Blue Mountain in which case everybody goes in there and gets stomped.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Piiritus

I played probably every big MMO there is. I played computer games since C64 days, I made maps on chequered paper and journal entries on paper, and I played computer games in days when they were *really* difficult.

Difference is: then was then and now is now. I changed. My patience is now that I am in my advanced age of 41, less. I still want to think, puzzle, combine and try out. But I do *not* want certain levels of frustration, and as one compatriot here pointed out: as I see it Funcom is here in real danger to lose a majority of it's players soon. I know and totally respect that some people like exactly that difficulty. That's ok. When I was 20, I liked that too. But now I have an adult life, and I game less for proving myself, I play to relax. And while I was totally ready to go back to a previous zone and repeat it COMPLETELY one time to alter my skill-set, and I was trying out 20-30 combinations, that is as far as my patience goes. A game must welcome me. It must adapt to my playstyle and my wishes, I do not want a sort of "education" game which forces me to look after optimal built guides. I want a game where I with my level of intelligence can within a reasonable time of study and experiment can come up with a built that allows me a fluid experience.

Atm TSW does NOT allow that. And imvpo I think that is a flaw. I did reasonable amounts of study, experimentation and trying out stuff into it, and at a certain point a game just has to work. A game needs a certain natural flow. And TSW just doesn't have this flow. There were just many places in Blue Mountain area where the mobs respawned faster than I could kill then. Period. And trust me, when you try 30 builts with your QL5-6 gear, that is as good as it gets.

Let's just not be in denial. This game has a big issue. Period.

So basically you are mad because TSW is not holding your hand? Sometimes I wonder if so called "experienced MMO players" even know what they actually want - they complain that games have become too easy but if some MMO tries to break out from WoW formula and brings back a bit challenge they start to complain that they expect their Farmville. 

But you here expect TSW to be different from what it is because YOU have changed and you want it. Sorry but this sounds like a spoiled kid of a MEMEME generation on ego trip. Being a complete casual myself these days I enjoy TSW and I enjoy it being a little bit harder than an average MMO.

There are many shades of grey between easy - difficult - challanging - tiresome and overly complicated.

Hey, of course it is MY wishes. I pay, I say my wish. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong other than I personally cannot see the reason for complaining for the sake of it. You take TSW as a complete solo game like SWTOR, Rift or any recent MMO, forgetting that even duo makes things much easier. TSW is just a little bit more group friendly than most other recent MMOs but still allowes you to complete most content solo.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

To those who say the combat gets better: I'm currently tanking nightmare dungeons, guess how many attacks I have in my hotbar.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Lotro combat is better?

No reference to secret societies?

Crafting is tedious?

Slow advancement?

What the crap are you talking about?

Saying the combat sucks so I'm going back to Lotro is pretty funny to me.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    Originally posted by dubyahite
    Lotro combat is better?

No reference to secret societies?

Crafting is tedious?

Slow advancement?

What the crap are you talking about?

Saying the combat sucks so I'm going back to Lotro is pretty funny to me.

Agreed, lotro has some of the worst melee combat in mmo history. It's so boring it's painful  to play my champion; fortunately the story is keeping me entertained. But the poor combat makes it a painful grind.

I haven't played TSW, but it certainly can't be as bad as lotro.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Krytycal

To those who say the combat gets better: I'm currently tanking nightmare dungeons, guess how many attacks I have in my hotbar.

are you having fun doing it? honestly who cares if you have 5 or 50 abilities on your hotbar if you are having a good time playing the game thats all that matters

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

are you having fun doing it? honestly who cares if you have 5 or 50 abilities on your hotbar if you are having a good time playing the game thats all that matters

Exactly. In most fps games you have 3 or 4 abillities if you would and it doesnt ruin the combat experience.

• SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98

Its funny actually... LotRO was a game I desperately wanted to love.. but couldn't.

And the combat was a big part of it.

Yes, I want to hit a button to buff my chance to hit by 1% for the next three seconds.. 

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
    Originally posted by Serignuad

Its funny actually... LotRO was a game I desperately wanted to love.. but couldn't.

And the combat was a big part of it.

Yes, I want to hit a button to buff my chance to hit by 1% for the next three seconds.. 

lol:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Originally posted by DaezAster

Exactly. In most fps games you have 3 or 4 abillities if you would and it doesnt ruin the combat experience.

Unfortunately TSW doesn't offer the tactical options as part of the base game mechanics to make the combat work this way.   The skills are pretty straightforward and very spammy.

This game is just not gonna rival something like DC Universe Online when it comes to combat. 

Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Unfortunately TSW doesn't offer the tactical options as part of the base game mechanics to make the combat work this way.   The skills are pretty straightforward and very spammy.

This game is just not gonna rival something like DC Universe Online when it comes to combat. 

it actually does but you don't see this till little later in the game when enemies start being immune to certain damage types and in harder mode dungeons where you need certain states to defeat oppenents.. I actually enjoy combat here more than I did in DCU

• Originally posted by Aerowyn

it actually does but you don't see this till little later in the game when enemies start being immune to certain damage types and in harder mode dungeons where you need certain states to defeat oppenents.. I actually enjoy combat here more than I did in DCU

That's fine that you may need an impaired or a weaken etc. at certain times.  And the game has you avoiding AoEs right from the get go.   I am not saying it offers nothing to think about.

But throwing a grenade in a shooter and hitting a number of enemies is considerably more challenging than doing skills in TSW.

I can run around with a ranged weapon and cone attacks in Dragon Nest, but I need to do quite a bit more to make them work well.  Also the abilities themselves tend to do more interesting things than simply apply a 3% debuff that can stack 10 times in a PBAOE.

In Global Agenda I run around with about 4 ancillary powers of various sorts.  But making them work is considerably more entertaining than making a Dancing blade or Balanced blade work.  One is just a chanelled attack and the other is just a PBAOE.  There is nothing special there really.  And you spam your builder and the consumers quite a lot. 

Maybe later they make you think a bit more, but the basic character of the skills are simply not interesting enough to make 4 of them sufficient for interesting combat.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Especially when it comes to spamming.

wait what?!? You are complaining about skills being spammy then compair their combat with Dcuo?

Spam L-mouse button and on occasion 1-6

Dont get me wrong I had a blast playing dcuo, the animations where mostly just.. flashy.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Combat is very basic, that's for sure.  Building a "deck" is kind of fun, in theory, but the actual act of fighting mobs is dull.  Spam the same few abilities over and over, and in the same order almost every time.

I used to think WoW and SWtOR had generic combat, but compared to this, they are actually kind of complicated.  I know in both games I had to learn different keybinds just to be able to reliably use all of the skills I regularly needed in combat.  With this game, I had to figure out which keybinds I should drop, lol.

The OP has it right, in that the game is great in a lot of ways, but combat is pretty bad.

You make me like charity

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Panthien

wait what?!? You are complaining about skills being spammy then compair their combat with Dcuo?

Dont get me wrong I had a blast playing dcuo, the animations where mostly just.. flashy.

i liked DCUO and I would kind of agree with that.

But DCUO required more than that my friend. Using weapons properly were doing combos, but they just required timing of the attacks, different holds and taps. But those were spammy once you found your 1 or 2 best combos. Also depends on the weapon you were using. Some had bad combos so spamming was ideal. Others spamming was a huge detriment and doing anything but combos/chains was gimp.

Still, its a damn chunk better than hotbar combat and TSW combat. And like you said much more 'flashy' and frankly just more pleasant to look at. Combat animation and effects in TSW are way too 'sprite' heavy, makes it look so drab.

Again, I wish these 'combat' MMO's was get a good content/story team or the content/story mmo's would revamp their combat. Maybe in a few years a new game will come out. GW2 made baby steps on all fronts, still not big enough movement for my taste.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Beiloch

i liked DCUO and I would kind of agree with that.

But DCUO required more than that my friend. Using weapons properly were doing combos, but they just required timing of the attacks, different holds and taps. But those were spammy once you found your 1 or 2 best combos. Also depends on the weapon you were using. Some had bad combos so spamming was ideal. Others spamming was a huge detriment and doing anything but combos/chains was gimp.

Still, its a damn chunk better than hotbar combat and TSW combat. And like you said much more 'flashy' and frankly just more pleasant to look at. Combat animation and effects in TSW are way too 'sprite' heavy, makes it look so drab.

Again, I wish these 'combat' MMO's was get a good content/story team or the content/story mmo's would revamp their combat. Maybe in a few years a new game will come out. GW2 made baby steps on all fronts, still not big enough movement for my taste.

I guess the only conclusion that we can draw from the "current state of things" is that in the 3-4 years it takes to build the average MMO, developers only have enough time to produce EITHER good combat OR good story/lore. I doubt any developer is conciously deciding to ignore one of the two.

Why would they ? If it was possible to do both aspects very well, the game would be an unquestionable winner. Yet we have never seen it done. My only guess is that to do both aspects well would require a development time of 6-7 years, which is simply too expensive for most developers.

Afaik, the only big team that's had that much time (and money) was SW:TOR, and they botched it. It pretty much sounds like they were still very much in development after 6 years, with development costs running into the hundreds of millions. At that point, EA stepped in and said "Stop building. Cut whatever's not ready and launch with whatever's working, and do it NOW !". The result was a disaster.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by TheOctagon
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Unfortunately, TSW is a game that is not going to appeal to casual MMO players. It demands too much player effort.

That sayings been spammed on TSW forums a hundred times by now mang. Get original, because your game, and your phrase is not.

If it only had a few droids, it could be a SWTOR combat clone. Mash 1, 2, 3, + 4..

Mash 1, 2, 3, + 4..

Mash 1, 2, 3, + 4.

Sounds familiar? Okay, so they have 8 buttons to mash. But its still mashing buttons.

The missions and puzzles are fun, but seriously, after 4 or 3 hours, your hands cramping because you have to hold the right mouse button down to look around.(OOPs, there's SWTOR again.) Why for the love of god not a toggle?

They say their working on the combat system to make it more interesting. THEY WERE TOLD IN THE BETA NOT TO RELEASE YET BECAUSE IT WAS SO BAD. Don't believe me? Scroll back through the forums and count the posts. Hell, log in right now and count the posts.

I bet you'll have 10 new outfits for your G.I.R.L(READ: Guy In Real Life.) character before combats touched.

I'll give it 6 months to a year, then it will go FTP. Its an awesome, sound business strategy.  (How long did SWTOR go?6 months and their talking about FTP already.)Suck up the cash from the fanboi diehards, then the cash from all the micro-transactions in the future once the FTP show up.

This is the future of gaming. And it only happens because players let it...

Last I checked every SINGLE MMO had mash tab so you call it, get real bud and play the god damn game instead of making bs about it.

Your point was void as well when you mentioned it's a clone of SWTOR, one game uses science  fiction and the other myths and legends from our own history even some interesting stuff from the bible. Anyhow comparing this game to SWTOR is just adsurd, then I guess Everquest is also a clone of WoW? Since thats the way this conversation is going.

One more thing, I was in the beta and ALOT of people enjoyed the combat  improvements that they did, Nice try though LOL.

• TSTCHICKENTSTCHICKEN Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by wombat5x5

I have wanted to love this game, but I can't. It's just tedious. The combat is a horrible button mash fest. Everything else is stellar. The atmosphere is perfect, the quests are fine. But the combat is atrocious. AOC was sooo much better in this area. I've gone back to lotro and won't be renewing my sub. I appreciate TSW and what it's trying to be, but I don't have the time or patience for it. Instead of getting better, things just get worse as you progress. Crafting is a pain in the ass instead of something to look forward to. It seems like tedium and repetition are the games replacement for leveling up due to lack of content. Otherwise, a small area takes forever due to really slow advancement and the intention of keeping players in one area as long as possible. On top of that, there is very little reference to secret societies and all that. TOTALLY dissappointed...

There has been enough humiliating the OP.  Combat was great in AoC.  You could have several bars for all kinds of skills.  His problem is that he is locked into the classic MMO thinking.  He wants 2 bars just for his buffs.  3 bars for attacks, one for various healing, cc, debuff, etc.  This game is more like Guild Wars.  You pick a set of skills, then off you go.  Something doesn't work, change it out...only now you can do it between mobs, instead of between zones.

The combat is not atrocious (although this is an opinion either way, not a fact).  Other than having only a set number of passives and actives at a time, combat is typical for an MMO of it's generation (newer MMO's having more active movement-based tactical combat like this does, which is nice if you have played some of the older MMO's which truly were terrible and bland, despite having dozens of bars and as many scripts to run the contraption).

Crafting sucks.  He's right there.  In principal it's sound, but it takes more direct involvement than he's used to with mindless recipe clicking.  Shift-clicking to split stacks is a pain, but if we're true to form here, you arrange things to resemble what you're trying to make..makes sense to me.  My complaint with crafting isn't even that, but that even if you break down every item you find, you'll never get ahead of the curve, and will always have found better gear than you can craft, by the time you have enough material and the right kit to craft with.  Crafting really should yield better items than you find in missions, but since there are no crafting levels, this is tricky to get around.

FACT:  There is less tedium and repetition in this game than any of the following MMO's; WOW, SWToR, AoC, DaoC, LotRO, DCUO, Rift, Tera, Eve...just insert any (almost) MMO to see that this bit is where the game really shines compared to the vast majority of titles out there.  The reality is the exact opposite of the OP's statement.  All missions in MMO's are tedium and repetitive, but this one does a much better job at masking, and even giving us some extra mission paint we don't see in other titles.

Leveling up is an archaic mechanism to present milestones for players to be rewarded with increased power.  The smarter, more sensible approach is to reward the player more often, which reflects the reality that we experience every day.  Did it take 10 beatings from your parents to learn not to do that, or just one?

There IS a lack of content, but every game had a lack of content at launch, with one noteable exception being the sandbox MMO Asheron's Call (other sandbox games have come since, but if you were to stretch this game out to a comparable landmass, you would have similar "content" density, and the detail in this world is wonderful).   The only reason that connection is made, is because you spent 95% of the time traveling to get to the content in a huge, seamless game world, so you were focused on what was coming up instead of what was all around you.  There is about as much content in TSW as there was in AoC at launch.  The game hasn't had 10 years to release expansion after expansion to enrich the game world.

As for the rest of the OP's post, well, I want some of what he's smoking.  I could have bashed someone's IQ, as many follow-up posters did in their own way, but any time I see a mindless post followed by 10 pages of more of the same, I try to keep people focused on facts or argueable topics instead of banter.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I would disagree that combat is 'terrible'.  It's very standard.  I suppose if a player wanted something different, it would be a disappointment.  The active dodge was a nice addition.  I expect many more MMO's to include this.  Motions are a bit clunky, but response seemed to be good.  I didn't notice any ability delays and the response was on par with most other MMO's.  Clunky looking animatino is not unusual for a game with a more realistic art style.  The less 'stylized' a game looks, the more 'wooden' or 'plastic' characters tend to look and move.  It's a trade off I've noticed in nearly every game.  Even the mighty Skyrim has running animations that make your character look like he's got a bad case of hemroids.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Especially when it comes to spamming.

Maybe he meant it in a sarcastic manner and it just falls flat? Not sure because I have to agree with you that is...well...a pretty amusing statement to say the least.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

since thats the normal approach nowadays. i take it too:

do something, dont think about it, flame.

dont read what your skills are able to do, dont check up on the 4 states you can bring enemies into, and dont read up on the benefits you get by other skills if those conditions are met.

flameflameflame....

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Unfortunately, TSW is a game that is not going to appeal to casual MMO players. It demands too much player effort.

If you're not prepared to put anything into the game, you'll get very little out of it. Not everyone likes spending time hand-crafting their skill decks. Not everyone likes solving puzzles. Many will get put off by the fact that it's difiicult to determine when you can do certain content, because there's no "player level" that guides you and easily tells you when you're over- or underlevelled for a zone.

Players will express their frustration in many ways, but few will admit that they actually prefer the "easymode" of standard themeparks. Some will complain that it's just "mashing 2 buttons". Others will complain when "mashing 2 buttons" is not working anymore. Others will look up all the solutions for the puzzle quests from internet walkthrough's, and wonder what all the fuss was about.

"If you're not enjoying the game, it's the game's fault for not catering to your playstyle."

For those of us that love a bit of a challenge, TSW is a game like no other image

This is exactly the problem with many of today's gamers. They say they want one thing and when they get it they still  complain. 

OP : Seriously man, LOTRO? That game had the most boring and lame combat of all time. You can have WOW with a Middle Earth Skin. The rest of us want something different. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

Are we playing the same game? Because I have finished every zone, and have also tanked and killed every boss except the Machine Tyrant in the last nightmare dungeon. I have changed my build a total of one time for PvE, and that was because I needed one more stun to kill the Gatekeeper to unlock nightmare. I did 99.99% of the PvE content with the same build and didn't change my abilities once. Breezed through it, too. Likewise, I've also tanked all the dungeons from normal to nightmare with the same build.

I did all of this with a total of 3 spammy attacks, 2 when I'm tanking. At least DCUO had combos to make things a little more engaging. Also, whoever compared the combat in TSW to GW2 is either crazy or hasn't played GW2 much. While you can only have 10 abilities in your hotbar (plus profession abilities) at any time, most classes can switch weapons or attunements in combat, meaning each profession has access to anywhere from 20-40 different abilities during combat.

If you want to limit my abilties to console standards, GW2 is an example of how to do it right.