Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Family Guy Online: Rise of the MMLOL

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The television show "Family Guy" has been wildly popular for years but it still came somewhat as a surprise when it was announced it would be made into an MMO. We checked Family Guy Online out recently and have a full report. Keep reading!

If there is one show that marks comedy for the last decade it truly is Family Guy. The show can be described simply as always having something funny in every episode. Everytime I put on Family Guy I always laugh out loud at something. That same magic is now coming to Family Guy Online. Crazy right, but the game is well made and hysterically funny. Being able to run around Quahog and mix it up with the characters from the show is awesome fun. Let’s check out what the game is all about.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Family Guy Online: Rise of the MMLOL.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

So this is what it feels like to witness the death of the mmorpg genre.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Most of us felt it 8 years ago buddy...

Originally posted by bossalinie

And having heard of the old glory days that i wish i could have taken part in i don't blame anybody for thinking that! There have been many games that i've heard people say signifies the death of the genre. This though?  This is something else entirely.

• ZeprimusZeprimus Member Posts: 40

Saying this is the 'death of a genre' (or that there ever was an end) is like saying that some kids' crappy drawing signifies the end of art. I don't understand the amount of melodrama that surrounds MMOs/videogames.

I think I'll look at this sometime, simply because I'm a fan of the show and I'd like to see myself Mcfarlane-ified. I don't think it'll really be good, but then again I'm not expecting it to be anything more than a browser-based Family Guy MMO.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by bossalinie Originally posted by dreamsofwar So this is what it feels like to witness the death of the mmorpg genre.
    And having heard of the old glory days that i wish i could have taken part in i don't blame anybody for thinking that! There have been many games that i've heard people say signifies the death of the genre. This though?  This is something else entirely.

One of the things Family Guy is known for is mocking subjects that are taken seriously. Sometimes they're mocking things that people take too seriously. I think MMORPG definitely fall into this category. I can only hope that they decided to do this partially because of how seriously some people take MMORPGs. It might be nice to see some FG humor aimed at this genre. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Just no

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Developers and investors must be eager to throw money away...

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by dreamsofwar So this is what it feels like to witness the death of the mmorpg genre.

One of the things Family Guy is known for is mocking subjects that are taken seriously. Sometimes they're mocking things that people take too seriously. I think MMORPG definitely fall into this category. I can only hope that they decided to do this partially because of how seriously some people take MMORPGs. It might be nice to see some FG humor aimed at this genre. :-)

Truthfully i was at the "WTF" stage when i saw this so i didn't take that into consideration. I think you have a point! What i don't understand though is if what you say is true, then its a bit of a lengthy process to go through for the sake of a few laughs isn't it? MMO's take a lot of time and resources to complete, its not like its another one of their typical "hey remember that time when *insert*" is it? 

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by dreamsofwar So this is what it feels like to witness the death of the mmorpg genre.

That's fine, they can make fun of us and our expectations. What they can't joke about are the financial losses from making this game. I doubt this game will be successful and will go the path of Lego Universe. Its very existence just shows the lack of common sense and insight the investors and developers have. 

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I will only play it if the quests are generated by manatees like the show flashbacks.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Destai
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by dreamsofwar Originally posted by bossalinie Originally posted by dreamsofwar So this is what it feels like to witness the death of the mmorpg genre.
    That's fine, they can make fun of us and our expectations. What they can't joke about are the financial losses from making this game. I doubt this game will be successful and will go the path of Lego Universe. Its very existence just shows the lack of common sense and insight the investors and developers have. 

One of the things FG makes fun of is itself. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't mock this game, if they can figure out how to reference it in the show itself.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

This is a great idea IMO - MMO titles are so stale at this point, and so full of stereotypes that Family Guy has plenty to work with when making fun of itself and the genre as a whole.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

What a bitchy bunch of stuck up prima donnas.  Family Guy isn't for you, it's about you.

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

OMG, I can't believe such a game is going to be made and I bet it's going to poke fun at the MMO genre like mocking kill quests and the "find 10 bear arses" type quests. Funny enough I would have thought the Simpsons would make their own MMO game where you make your own Simpsons style character and be a person living in Springfield as you meet all the residence including the Simpson family but it looks like Family Guy beat them to it.

To be honest I don't really like Family Guy, the jokes ain't even that funny, American Dad on the other hand is funny, probably because the jokes are more grown-up.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

One of the worst ,immature, annoying, TV shows ever made is being made into an MMO?

It will be filled with 12-19 year olds, thinking they're edgy, playing something that they think is apparently for adults.

This sums up my views.

• RottsteinRottstein Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

One of the worst ,immature, annoying, TV shows ever made is being made into an MMO?

It will be filled with 12-19 year olds, thinking they're edgy, playing something that they think is apparently for adults.

This sums up my views.

Nice to see your 'high brow' south park humor trumps that immature family guy trash. 

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Rottstein

This sums up my views.

Nice to see your 'high brow' south park humor trumps that immature family guy trash. 

Oh cmon, there is a clear difference between the shows.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

Lol, gotta love this I'm not getting it though because I'm playing CoD and soon to be playing GW2 when it launches and those are going to be the main games I'll be playing

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Bet it's better then SWTOR was...

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

trying it right now

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

looks like it's class based... really

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Drakxii

Bet it's better then SWTOR was...

I lol'd Trololololololo.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

Weird that they did an mmo when the show it's based on's popularity is declining.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Rottstein

This sums up my views.

Oh cmon, there is a clear difference between the shows.

Your right... Family Guy is actually funny while South Park is just juvenile trash. South Park is just pure garbage from the poor animation to the 8th grade level of the writing. Family Guy like The Simpsons and Futurama is funny not only on the surface but at least tries to have some depth to the comedy. South Park's only concern is how they can kill off Kenny for the millionth time. I tried to like South Park but watching it is just painful to say the least.

As for The Family Guy Online... Even though it's a browser MMO it looks promising. The graphics are what you'd expect given the source material and that is the major drawback with the Unity Engine usually. The Unity Engine fits perfectly with this type of MMO. I personally think this game will do well. I know I'm gonna give it a go at some point.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }