Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW most innovative mmorpg of the year.

Comments

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Is Hello Kitty Online innovative?

Have you ever played an MMORPG where your a little kitten? no ? in that case then yes in a way it is innovative LOL..

So, MOP is innovative too?

Is that the WOW panda exp? if so no as there are already MMORPGs out there where you can be a panda..

Just like there are MMORPGs where you can choose from 500 skills to put into a deck and there are story based MMOs.

What is your point? Can someone please list 1 innovative feature of this game?

Stealth missions in an MMORPG

Puzzle Missions in an MMORPG

Modern day MMORPG cant think of any other AAA MMORPG that has this setting

GW 2 has stealth missions for the Charr.

WoW had puzzles. DandD online had puzzle missions.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Have you ever played an MMORPG where your a little kitten? no ? in that case then yes in a way it is innovative LOL..

Is that the WOW panda exp? if so no as there are already MMORPGs out there where you can be a panda..

Just like there are MMORPGs where you can choose from 500 skills to put into a deck and there are story based MMOs.

None of those are new or innovative in mmo's....

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by dellirious13

GW2 is not out yet...

I stand corrected on the puzzle quests, must admit never put much time into wow or DnD but now i know thanks :)

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

Sorry, there is nothing innovative about the game.  I really like it, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table.  It just takes some features already present in other games and puts a new spin on them.  And with some of the features, they don't do a better job than other games.  Other features, however, are done very well and it is those features that set it apart.  For example, the storyline and acting/script are very well done.  However, combat and character customization looks a lot like Rift, with respect to mixing abilities and traits. 

Not much new in the game, but it's still fun.

If taking aspects of something already present somewhere else and putting a new spin on them is not innovative, then the following are NOT innovative:

Jazz

Rock and Roll

The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Picasso

Gasoline engines

Alternate Current electricity (AC vs. DC)

The U.S. Constitution

I'm not sure innnovative is the word you were looking for, because it is by its very definition what you claim it isn't. It is true that nothing they have done has been completely 'new'. But 'new' and 'innovative' aren't exactly the same.

in·no·vate/?in??v?t/

Verb:
    1. Make changes in something established, by introducing NEW methods, ideas, or products.
    2. Introduce something NEW, esp. a product.

Actually innovate does mean NEW, they are synonyms. For a feature IN a process (MMO game is the process) to be innovative, it needs to be NEW. I havent heard one thing from TSW that isnt recycled from previous games and extremely similar to those recycled things. I have play for over 40 hours, too, and still havent found something "Innovative." 

1. Make changes in something established, by introducing NEW methods, ideas, or products.

It works for me, but please continue with the bashing. We could rip every game apart and say none of them are innovative.  The amount of hate TSW is generating just tells me that they are doing it right. Well done Funcom, well done.
  • BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

GW2 hasn't released yet ;)

TSW has actual investigations, not just puzzles

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by dumbo11

Can you name me 1 innovate feature in any mmorpg released this year then? You made your point about older games and mmo.

SWTOR's storyline focus would be seen by most people as innovative.  Certainly I'd never seen anything that strong in an MMO.

GW2's DE system is highly innovative.

Tera's combat seemed innovative enough.

But that doesn't make any of those games good and it doesn't mean those innovations are particularly good ideas:

- SWTORs storyline whilst innovative had some very big downsides... the innovation sucked the life out of the game.

- GW2s DEs are fun, but people are unsure about the long-term attraction of such a system, and social dynamics.

- Tera's combat looked great, but it seems a lot of people had issues with it, and a lot of focus on combat - that maybe should have been applied elsewhere...

-> some of the best MMOs were not very innovative.  Some of the worst MMOs were very innovative.  (as someone mentioned - Tabula Rasa was very innovative...)

But none of those features are innovative either then.

- SWTOR's story is just the BW way of doing storytelling forced on an mmo setting. And other mmorpg have had story and cutscenes before.

- GW2's DE are an evolution of PQ system. They basically removed the quest giver and chanied some stuff together. Hell, Rift's did the branching open world event thing first.

- Action combat is everything but new mmos.

See, if there's no new stuff in TSW, there really isn't anything new in mmo. PS2 isn't. AA isn't. Nothing.

GW2 is not out yet...

I stand corrected on the puzzle quests, must admit never put much time into wow or DnD but now i know thanks :)

No problemo :D

I don't see anything truly innovative in GW2 either, tbh.

OH! WoW also has stealth missions (one is in one of the new dungeons of Cata where you are in the demons' area. I believe there are others that I am forgetting. I think that this boils down to South Park and this quote from one episode: "Simpsons already did it!" Its hard to think of completely new ideas that work with a genre, when you are thinking about those previous games in your subconcious.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Can anyone tell me what just happened to the replies?... lol.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

I gave it a shot in beta the only thing that was some what interesting was the story. The combat I just couldn't get into, the skill system seemed not as opened as they claimed. To me it felt like it was trying to be Matrix Online and very similar setup and inspiration came from that.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by Kumate
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by Bobbie203

Tsw is good but not worthy of a 10/10.

It is not the best mmorpg of the year, but it is the most innovative daredevil game of the 2012, which will pave way for future mmorpg. IMO. In fact archeage has similiar skill system that tsw has.

The days of spec into pure healing, tanking, or dps is gone. HYbrid i where its at. Freeedom to choose how you play is the new hotness.

Guess you never played SWG or Eve for that matter.

If you played SWG you sure don't remember much.  The skill system in SWG was more like Ultima Online then The Secret World.  In SWG you had to grind out the skills.  IF you decided down the road you no longer wanted to be a combat medic and wanted to be a fencer, you had to drop the skills and go grind out fencer.  You could not get "all" the skills and KEEP them.  TSW allows you to keep everything and change on the fly, meaning NEVER having to make alts for core game reasons.  People making alts now will only want to do it to see the storyline, not because their other character was built do do something else.

SWG people had alts because they wanted a jedi, combat medic, melee, tamer, and so on.  Because they didnt want to KEEP grinding everytime the changed something.  As the OP stated, that is an INNOVATIVE feature.

That is a constructive comment.  Continue on with your one liners...

You do know Darkfall allows you to learn all skills also, right?

BOOYAKA!

Can you name me 1 innovate feature in any mmorpg released this year then? You made your point about older games and mmo.

SWTOR's storyline focus would be seen by most people as innovative.  Certainly I'd never seen anything that strong in an MMO.

But that doesn't make any of those games good and it doesn't mean those innovations are particularly good ideas:

- SWTORs storyline whilst innovative had some very big downsides... the innovation sucked the life out of the game.

- GW2s DEs are fun, but people are unsure about the long-term attraction of such a system, and social dynamics.

- Tera's combat looked great, but it seems a lot of people had issues with it, and a lot of focus on combat - that maybe should have been applied elsewhere...

-> some of the best MMOs were not very innovative.  Some of the worst MMOs were very innovative.  (as someone mentioned - Tabula Rasa was very innovative...)

- SWTOR's story is just the BW way of doing storytelling forced on an mmo setting. And other mmorpg have had story and cutscenes before.

- GW2's DE are an evolution of PQ system. They basically removed the quest giver and chanied some stuff together. Hell, Rift's did the branching open world event thing first.

See, if there's no new stuff in TSW, there really isn't anything new in mmo. PS2 isn't. AA isn't. Nothing.

I think you are finally coming to the realization that there is nothing innovative about TSW.

It would be nice if you, instead of asking about other games, listed an innovative feature in TSW. Then maybe we could actually discuss something instead of just generalizing and saying the game is innovative for no reason. Or perhaps because it's new, people feel like it's innovative. I don't know. But I'd either like to hear an innovative feature or I'd like to move on and admit this game takes from other games and tries to make them great in their own way.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

Sorry, there is nothing innovative about the game.  I really like it, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table.  It just takes some features already present in other games and puts a new spin on them.

Not much new in the game, but it's still fun.

i havent played TSW and not sure if this feature made it into retail

but what other mmo does this?  allow the player to participate in any area of the game world, even as a newbie

http://massively.joystiq.com/2009/04/07/gdc09-the-veil-lifts-on-the-secret-world/

The world will be completely open to the player right at the opening -- certainly areas will be harder, but they will be accessible for anyone who wants to go join their friends.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

I think you are finally coming to the realization that there is nothing innovative about TSW.

It would be nice if you, instead of asking about other games, listed an innovative feature in TSW. Then maybe we could actually discuss something instead of just generalizing and saying the game is innovative for no reason. Or perhaps because it's new, people feel like it's innovative. I don't know. But I'd either like to hear an innovative feature or I'd like to move on and admit this game takes from other games and tries to make them great in their own way.

or I'd like to move on

Please do. If someone thinks what they think then accept it and move on.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    Originally posted by heartless
    blockquote>

You like that word "nonsensical," don't you? Anyway, it's a valid comparison. Actually, now that I think about it, TSW is very similar to SWTOR. So it's more of an SWTOR clone but with better stories this time.

And it seems you dislike that word. I see you're rooting for GW2. Well, you're entitled to your opinion. When I think of it, GW2 is an obvious WoW clone when you look at its fundamentals, people that've consumed MMO's within a few months only to move on, will likely do the same in GW2 when they've reached level cap and seen most of the quests and dungeons and rest of its finite content. Although I see a considerable part of the WoW crowd move to GW2, it looks like it'll be a game perfectly suited for them. Anyway, enjoy your GW2 when it comes out and your GW2 rooting.

Yeah, what you're actually doing is seeing fantasy genre and theme park, equating it with WoW because it shares those broad properties, and then assuming that the mechanics are likewise identical.  This is because you're ignorant and are pushing an agenda.  If you were capable of objective reasoning, the fact that the mechanics are vastly dissimilar would be so obvious, it may as well be written out in front of you in pulsing pink neon.

Anyway, enjoy your myopia.

• WildNature13WildNature13 Member Posts: 20

Personally, it's like this for me (the games I'm playing):

The Secret World: 8/10

League of Legends: 8/10

GW2 BWE: 4/10

EVE: 3/10

• Suspect41Suspect41 Member Posts: 7

Its true there is nothing that actually new with TSW

Somehow it all feels now though.  It looks, feels, and plays like no other game out there, and that was exactly what ive been waiting for.

During GW2 beta, it felt, looked and played like something ive been through a million times...yeah i mean it looks like a game focused around players who dont like pve and just want to pve, and its got no sub...but i couldnt help feeling that this has been the exact same thing ive been playing for years...despite claims its going to change the world.

While TSW beta made me nervous about....you know funcom and launches...even then the game didnt feel like anytthing i had ever played...which is why i picked it up despite planning on GW2.

So far from the looks of things, im losing interest with the GW2 simply because of it feeling like the same old.....also id rather do a themepark endgame with the classless system than have to reroll and regrind with a new class for a change of pace...and thus far both the pvp and pve instances play fantastic...yeah pvp isnt as flashy but its mobile and quick which i like...and you never know what your up against rather than easily picking the paper class to your sissors and avoiding the rock.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I find the investigation missions to be very innovative in the mmo genre. Thy absolutely are.

Just because another jmo had puzzles doesn't mean they were anything like the investigation missions. They simply weren't. SWTOR had a puzzle in EV, wow had puzzles all over the place, but none of those are remotely close to the investigation missions. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

Do any of those puzzles incorporate real world information into the clues and solutions? Nope.

When is the last time an mmo made you decipher morse code transmissions?

These puzzles are different from other mmo puzzles. It's like an ARG built into the game. What game is it out there that has ARGs as quests?

Those of you saying that this game has nothing new or innovative are fooling yourself, or attempting to fool us for some reason.

Beyond that, looking at the game as as a whole, it is very different than most mmos. The combination of all of the features and systems into one game is very unique. There simply isn't anything quite like it. The experience is much different from the rest of the genre.

The big picture is there, some of you refuse to see it, but it's there. Viewing all of the elements of this game combined creates a picture of something we haven't seen before in its entirety.

Face it, the same old tired arguments that get trotted out for trolling every game's forum at launch simply do not apply to this game.

You know what's not innovative? Using the same boring arguments to attempt to discredit every game that gets released. For people that are so obsessed with "innovation" you sure Are awfully repetitive. It gets old reading the same old crap from the same people over and over again.

I always picture that you guys have a spreadsheet of stuff to post on forums and just copy and paste your arguments into the post box

Here is my suggestion, if you are so obsessed with innovation, why don't you show some in your attacks agains the games you don't like.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134

Taken to it's core, almost every word in the English language can become meaningless, apart from absolutes.

-> in X years time, looking back, what feature do you forsee in the MMO genre that people would say "this started with TSW"?

Given that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - that is, imho, the best way I can see to define "positive" innovation in the MMO genre.

Anyway, this isn't a criticism of TSW, and I only spent one weekend with it anyway... I may have missed the point.

Originally posted by dubyahite
    I find the investigation missions to be very innovative in the mmo genre. Thy absolutely are.

Just because another jmo had puzzles doesn't mean they were anything like the investigation missions. They simply weren't. SWTOR had a puzzle in EV, wow had puzzles all over the place, but none of those are remotely close to the investigation missions. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

Do any of those puzzles incorporate real world information into the clues and solutions? Nope.

When is the last time an mmo made you decipher morse code transmissions?

These puzzles are different from other mmo puzzles. It's like an ARG built into the game. What game is it out there that has ARGs as quests?

Those of you saying that this game has nothing new or innovative are fooling yourself, or attempting to fool us for some reason.

Beyond that, looking at the game as as a whole, it is very different than most mmos. The combination of all of the features and systems into one game is very unique. There simply isn't anything quite like it. The experience is much different from the rest of the genre.

The big picture is there, some of you refuse to see it, but it's there. Viewing all of the elements of this game combined creates a picture of something we haven't seen before in its entirety.

Face it, the same old tired arguments that get trotted out for trolling every game's forum at launch simply do not apply to this game.

You know what's not innovative? Using the same boring arguments to attempt to discredit every game that gets released. For people that are so obsessed with "innovation" you sure Are awfully repetitive. It gets old reading the same old crap from the same people over and over again.

I always picture that you guys have a spreadsheet of stuff to post on forums and just copy and paste your arguments into the post box

Here is my suggestion, if you are so obsessed with innovation, why don't you show some in your attacks agains the games you don't like.

You've obviously never played EQ1... from 1999. There might even be some guy who comes in and quotes an earlier game that I wasn't a part of. But EQ1 definitely had what you are desribing.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

But i never said TSW was innnovative as a whole. This is my first post in the thread:

"The OP isn't talking about most innovative ever, just this year. The question, what is innnovation? TSW and GW2 are themeaparks, but not wow clones. However, Planetside 2 is even more unique then them, but it's just PS1 improved upon (never played PS1, but this is correct, rigth?). Also, Archeage, it's made off allthe features found in traditional sandboxes and themeparks put together, but again, even more different then WOW than those 2. So, how to we put it?

Honestly, who cares? All 4 of them awesome and different, and tha's what matters, because now we have more gameplay options.

But i'm going to cheat. All of the features in said games are, as i said, old concepts and mechanics re-used, so nothing new, except for the Investigation Missions in TSW. Those, while a very small part of teh game, have never been done in any mmorpg. It's something taken from single players. So, i guess TSW wins for having 1 little thing."

See, i find TSW simply different from the normal mmorpg themepark formula, but not all that unique. But that's why i like it, along with the games i meantion.

The only feature i can call "innovative" in any way is the investigation missions. Yes, puzzle quests and dungeons aren't new, but i was mostly refering to the "detective, mystery solving" element of them and the "ARG factor". Are they completly unlike anything ever done before? Hell no, but out of all feature one can think off in other mmos, this is probably the least common. But again, not fully innovative, but that's a really hard thing to do in video games today.

But i never said TSW was innnovative as a whole. This is my first post in the thread:

"The OP isn't talking about most innovative ever, just this year. The question, what is innnovation? TSW and GW2 are themeaparks, but not wow clones. However, Planetside 2 is even more unique then them, but it's just PS1 improved upon (never played PS1, but this is correct, rigth?). Also, Archeage, it's made off allthe features found in traditional sandboxes and themeparks put together, but again, even more different then WOW than those 2. So, how to we put it?

Honestly, who cares? All 4 of them awesome and different, and tha's what matters, because now we have more gameplay options.

But i'm going to cheat. All of the features in said games are, as i said, old concepts and mechanics re-used, so nothing new, except for the Investigation Missions in TSW. Those, while a very small part of teh game, have never been done in any mmorpg. It's something taken from single players. So, i guess TSW wins for having 1 little thing."

See, i find TSW simply different from the normal mmorpg themepark formula, but not all that unique. But that's why i like it, along with the games i meantion.

The only feature i can call "innovative" in any way is the investigation missions. Yes, puzzle quests and dungeons aren't new, but i was mostly refering to the "detective, mystery solving" element of them. Are they completly unlike anything ever done before? Hell no, but out of all feature one can think off in other mmos, this is probably the least common. But again, not fully innovative, but that's a really hard thing to do in video games today.

Right, it's not innovative in any way. It is pretty interesting in it's own way.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by WildNature13

Personally, it's like this for me.

The Secret World Betas: 6/10

League of legends: 2/10

GW2: BWE 9/10

Eve: 2/10

Differnet play styles and likes. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by TalulaRose

It works for me, but please continue with the bashing. We could rip every game apart and say none of them are innovative.  The amount of hate TSW is generating just tells me that they are doing it right. Well done Funcom, well done.

Bashing? Really? Look at my previous posts in this thread. I like TSW, I own it. I have play over 40 hours since it released. I think its fun. Something doesn't need to be innovative to be worth buying. Torchlight was an excellent game imo, but it had 0 innovation (unless you count the fishing part innovation, which i dont). Battlefield 3 is an excellent game, but it isnt innovative.

TSW is an excellent game, but it has flaws and it is not very innovative. This is not a bash...this is me not being a fanboy. I don't have to like every minute aspect of the game, and I have never like every minute aspect of any game. So don't get so defensive about things that dont really matter in the "is this game worth buying" scope, because there are plenty of games that are crazy innovative and crazy suck ass.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Amjoco

The Secret World Betas: 4/10

League of legends: 8/10

GW2: BWE 5/10

Eve: 6.5/10

Good taste or bad taste, to each is thier own. /double_shrug

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Suspect41Suspect41 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Yeah the TSW beta wasnt very impressive. What a world of diffrent at launch.

I thought the GW2 beta was of higher quality...the game looked and felt like it was ready to go...but also looked and felt like every other game i have played in the past.  The DE's i could tell already were just like Rifts...well Rift's rifts..if that makes sense..yeah its fun your first time through but its nothing special and nothing i havent done in WAR or Rift (actually thought Rift's rifts looked better but thats my opinion)

Also we dont know what class balancing woes will come with GW2, its always horrible for pvp based games and the community goes into riot mode over blancing changes.

Combat in GW2 seemed very bland and strangely less spammy than TSW  *ducks*

But it was a far more action-y game compared to TSW.

Definately diffrent play styles.

Wasnt planning to stay with TSW but my veiw on current released games and soon to be released games has changed drastically in the last week.  Ill probably end up buying GW2 just to have it however, i mean no sub ect...might use it as a side game...im definately not giddy or impatient for its launch right now...