Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Golden Rules of Guild Wars 2 - Kool aid for the masses

TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

After reading over the new blog post from ARENET, I feel more encouraged by the vision that Anet has set forth.  I'm definately drinking the Kool aid and I'm loving every drop.  What are your thoughts on this blog post and that it has been posted now?

IMO I find it interesting they are posting this now, I mean most of us already know what to expect but what is Anet trying to do by posting this July 3rd?

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-golden-rules-of-guild-wars-2

Comments

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by TheTrueKing

After reading over the new blog post from ARENET, I feel more encouraged by the vision that Anet has set forth.  I'm definately drinking the Kool aid and I'm loving every drop.  What are your thoughts on this blog post and that it has been posted now?

IMO I find it interesting they are posting this now, I mean most of us already know what to expect but what is Anet trying to do by posting this July 3rd?

I agree a lot know what to expect already but there's no reason not to post it. Maybe some folks on the fence will read it and decide to buy the game or will become more interested in it. It seems to only have an upside so really why not.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Link broken?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Link broken?

Here is the correct link: http://www.arena.net/blog/the-golden-rules-of-guild-wars-2

All I can say is my studio took a few minutes to gather and go over these rules, as even the creative directors in charge thought there was validity in discussing it as a studio of developers, level designers, writers and artists.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Maintain a steady stream of buzz between now and release day. Sure all of the fans on the forums have already pre-purchased, but we're only a small portion of the market, they need to keep the buzz building for the sales at release time.
  • TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

fixed the link :P sorry bout that ^_^ had to much kool aid haha

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

i think you mean most of us that have pre-purchased.  they are marketing the game to others that don't know.

Originally posted by Mexorilla

i think you mean most of us that have pre-purchased.  they are marketing the game to others that don't know.

not really looking to battle semantecs on what I posted more looking for your thoughts on why they posted this on July 3rd and your thoughts on this post.  Marketing does make sense, in hopes to reach customers whom haven't had their share of kool aid yet.

On the other hand I do know some people following the game whom have no pre purchased yet.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Nonestly, it's all nice and dandy, but it's just words. It's easy to say those words - if you'll check SWTOR pre-release, you'll see even loftier promises and noble goals and declarations of principles. And yet all it is is, well, marketing.

You can always read the same promises from another point of view. "Play the game, not the UI" = "You don't get customizable interface; what we designed is good enough for you." Wasn't it one of the points SWTOR was blamed for?

"Do it well or don't do it at all" = "We weren't able to build a good AI for monsters - so monsters don't have AI at all in the game. We did it for YOU!"

It is, of course, just a funny example, but people, really. How do you not burst from your kool-aid? I mean, what are you, 15? Haven't life taught you anything? The more you wait and expect, the more disappointed you will be, because reality can't compare with your own fantasy! It doesn't matter how good the game is, your fantasy, custom-tailored by you for you, will always be superior to reality. So kind of limit yourself in your anticipation, eh?

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Grahor

Nonestly, it's all nice and dandy, but it's just words. It's easy to say those words - if you'll check SWTOR pre-release, you'll see even loftier promises and noble goals and declarations of principles. And yet all it is is, well, marketing.

You can always read the same promises from another point of view. "Play the game, not the UI" = "You don't get customizable interface; what we designed is good enough for you." Wasn't it one of the points SWTOR was blamed for?

"Do it well or don't do it at all" = "We weren't able to build a good AI for monsters - so monsters don't have AI at all in the game. We did it for YOU!"

It is, of course, just a funny example, but people, really. How do you not burst from your kool-aid? I mean, what are you, 15? Haven't life taught you anything? The more you wait and expect, the more disappointed you will be, because reality can't compare with your own fantasy! It doesn't matter how good the game is, your fantasy, custom-tailored by you for you, will always be superior to reality. So kind of limit yourself in your anticipation, eh?

Difference being that GW2 has delivered everything promised so far in beta, while TOR still has not 6 months later.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by Alders

Difference being that GW2 has delivered everything promised so far in beta, while TOR still has not 6 months later.

If I remember correctly, weekend beta players for SWTOR were pissing themselves with glee. It's impossible to judge the game by the short beta. Every game will look good in beta, if only because of the fun of exploration of richness of new options. :)

Now, I agree that GW2 has delivered some things. An evolution (although not revolution) of questing system in the form of DE. At least some exploration, full extent will be seen only in the full game; after all, datacron hunt was looking promising in SWTOR too. What else can we say that GW2 delivered already?

The backbone of any game - interesting combat. It is yet to be determined, if GW2 delivered. No, "I've played it through all beta and I'm delighted!" does not qualify. That will be determined after a full month after relise, at least.

Same goes to "alive world", etc. Generally, GW2 promissed very little specific things, and it's impossible to say if it has delivered on generalities, yet.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

If I remember correctly, weekend beta players for SWTOR were pissing themselves with glee. It's impossible to judge the game by the short beta. Every game will look good in beta, if only because of the fun of exploration of richness of new options. :)

I went into SWTOR beta and never touched the real game, I didn't like it at all.

Now, I agree that GW2 has delivered some things. An evolution (although not revolution) of questing system in the form of DE. At least some exploration, full extent will be seen only in the full game; after all, datacron hunt was looking promising in SWTOR too. What else can we say that GW2 delivered already?

Dynamic Events is enough.... that alone is a big winner and it doesn't need the full game to see them in action, getting to level 20 (or even 10) will allow you to experience enough DEs to love the system. Exploration is already enough I think. POIs, puzzle dungeons, hidden DEs, treasure chests etc. I wouldn't expect MORE of those in the old areas. What remains to be seen in both DEs and exploration if they keep it the same (or even improve it) on the later zones. But it's already on a very high level, no need for the full game to understand that.

The backbone of any game - interesting combat. It is yet to be determined, if GW2 delivered. No, "I've played it through all beta and I'm delighted!" does not qualify. That will be determined after a full month after relise, at least.

Why a month after release? You've already played the game, you already know how good or bad the combat is, what can change anyone's opinion a month after release? Combat is already love or hate issue.

Same goes to "alive world", etc. Generally, GW2 promissed very little specific things, and it's impossible to say if it has delivered on generalities, yet.

Well, some dynamic events change the world drastically, that's a fact. Actions of a single player (talking with NPCs, interracting with objects) will affect all the players around, so that means the world is pretty much "alive" and "dynamic". It's not like other MMORPGs where every player is experiencing their own quests, disregarding what other people are doing. And this is exactly what "alive" is all about. Of course it's not alive as a sandbox game, it's not player driven, so all events are pre-written, but it sure does feel alive. There are also the little details (there is a vid about them) that make the world of GW2 look alive, including character animations, conversations among npcs etc

Again what we need is more of the same as what we've already seen (or better) if they can do this it's a win-win

They promised no monthly fees and no P2W cash shop, which means respect for their player base, they delivered. The game is buy to play without monthly fees, the cash shop is conviniency only. They promised a branching storyline with consequences and lots of choice, they delivered, granted the dialogues of that storyline are often cheesy, but you can make 15 characters and experience a different story, different backgrounds lead to new interesting developments. Unlike the class quests in SWTOR the Personal Storyline in GW2 will take players to a very high level, without having the same content for everyone.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I think they meant it when they said they wanted us to pay less attention to the UI. Just looking at that screenshot they took shows how clean the UI is without four additional action bars. They also kind of meant the cooperation thing too in that you can't really work against another player. But yeah, the other stuff was a bunch of ass-kissing. I'm not saying that they are lying, but the other stuff just feels like just about any MMORPG developer can say those things and be truthful about them as well.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I see allot of GW2 hype. I really hope all of you who play it enjoy it. us oldsters tend to sit back and wait and watch. the game will speak for itself in terms of fun to be had or not.

Be excited, but always remember to keep an open mind and don't let all that hype thwart common sense when it comes to a game's marketing of it's product.

They tend to enjoy money and they sometimes can fall short on promises,which in this case I think Anet won't follow all the other fools who wipe their ass with your money.

I hope you guys have a blast though truly it been a long time since my old GW days which fllod back when I see the topics about the new game.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by jeremyjodes

I see allot of GW2 hype. I really hope all of you who play it enjoy it. us oldsters tend to sit back and wait and watch. the game will speak for itself in terms of fun to be had or not.

Be excited, but always remember to keep an open mind and don't let all that hype thwart common sense when it comes to a game's marketing of it's product.

They tend to enjoy money and they sometimes can fall short on promises,which in this case I think Anet won't follow all the other fools who wipe their ass with your money.

I hope you guys have a blast though truly it been a long time since my old GW days which fllod back when I see the topics about the new game.

... weren't you a lot more excited BEFORE SWTOR came out?

Did it switch you over to a jaded bitter gamer? D:

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Unless anet tries to pull some kind of a complete power grab bait and switch and they are busy converting and nerfing everything in the game into a non fun standard mmo version at this very time then this game more than lives up to anets own under hyping and even goes as far as to live up to much of the speculative player made hype..

Like any other game GW2 is not going to be for everyone, those that like open world lowbie ganking or young (or young at heart) players that have not had enough of chasing the illusive mass cloned magic carrot on a stick yet may not like this game to much..

Because when its all said and done this game is much more about having fun however you see fit than keeping your eye on the prize..

This is a game that truly is more about wide open adventuring and the journey rather than power leveling to an endgame yet many will likely still do just that because you can power grind if you want..

As far as how long can this game keep people playing it?

That remains to be seen as only time and added content can determine that but anet is a company that is known to not be afraid of applying elbow grease and getting busy..

Playing GW2..

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I don't drink kool aid. I don't need devs to tell me if i like a game or not, much less will i ever trust them. Don't care what Anet writes in some stupid hype blof post. All i know is that i like GW2 from what i've seen and may eventually pick it up. That's enough for me. In fact, why would you drink the kool aid in the first place?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Here is the correct link: http://www.arena.net/blog/the-golden-rules-of-guild-wars-2

All I can say is my studio took a few minutes to gather and go over these rules, as even the creative directors in charge thought there was validity in discussing it as a studio of developers, level designers, writers and artists.

It gets even more complicated since most of those rules were set by Strain before he left ANET for Undead labs...

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

The difference here is that Arenanet has consistently followed through on promises of this nature, unlike pretty much every other major studio (like Bioware).  Players have seen these lofty ideals put into practice.  We haven't just read about them.

So kindly keep your nose out of my anticipation.  My first hand knowledge trumps your ignorant antipathy.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by DeaconX

It gets even more complicated since most of those rules were set by Strain before he left ANET for Undead labs...

You do realise that Strain left Anet to become the president of NCwest in 2008, and then left NCwest for undead labs in 2009?

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Meowhead

... weren't you a lot more excited BEFORE SWTOR came out?

Did it switch you over to a jaded bitter gamer? D:

I did.

SWTOR was my last straw - straw that broke the camel's back etc.

I have been sipping the GW2 Kool aid quite often, but I'm trying to keep myself measured and tempered.

I know I won't have as much time going forward for MMOs as I used to have, and GW2 is the perfect game for that schedule change.

I can play 2-3 hours here and there, maybe 10 hours a week total and not feel like I'm wasting 15$ a month.

a lot of people are still butt hurt on how other developers haven't lived up to their promises and refuse to see that Anet has actually done exactly what they have set out to do, so far atleast.  If all I got to experience of the game was the 95+ hours I've already played, that alone for me made my me feel my money was well spent.  But I know I only exploed 15% of Tyria and there is so much more, I figure I have 100's if not a couple thousand hours of game play ahead of me all for $60... Totally worth it IMO I love the vision they are following and the reason I'm drinking the Kool Aid is because I respect what they have done, especially compared to everyone else on the market.

• SpendrikSpendrik Member Posts: 39

Truer words have not been said. Thank you!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

A couple years ago my then 7 year old was watching a commercial for Fushigi ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myIR__htBgc). All I heard for three months was "Dad!1! will you get me Fushigi for Christmas image"  That's exactly what I did.

He learned a valuable lesson that morning after he pulled the simple plastic ball out the box. No levitating, no magic, just a plastic ball. That day we coined the term Fushigeed, as in "You got fushigeed."

Two years later he still comes to me and says "Dad that looks like fushigi."

cool story huh? ;)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

I couple years ago my then 7 year old was watching a commercial for Fushigi ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myIR__htBgc). All I heard for three months was "Dad!1! will you get me Fushigi for Christmas image"  That's exactly what I did.

He learned a valuable lesson that morning after he pulled the simple plastic ball out the box. No levitating, no magic, just a plastic ball. That day we coined the term Fushigeed, as in "You got fushigeed."

cool story huh? ;)

Wait until the kid learns that Christmas is nothing more then his "Fushigi" lol.  Thank god we've been able to test GW2 before opening it up and seeing that its nothing but a Fushigi, no on the other hand its delivered what has been promised.  We've actually been able to tell exactly what it is...  But hey Cool story I guess :P

• SpendrikSpendrik Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by bcbully

I couple years ago my then 7 year old was watching a commercial for Fushigi ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myIR__htBgc). All I heard for three months was "Dad!1! will you get me Fushigi for Christmas image"  That's exactly what I did.

cool story huh? ;)

Cool life lesson for your seven year old ... which some of us haven't learnt, obviously :D