Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: All About F2P

Comments

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    Originally posted by bigcheeseuk

SOE should have done this with SWG

i dont think they LucasArts wouldve allowed them to keep SWG open under any circumstance w/ SWtORs coming.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Why does SOE keep fucking up thier FTP's?

I'd be more than willing to spend money in a shop for cosmetic things to support a game, but i cannot stand restrictions.

I was actually looking forward to this since i enjoy Vanguard, but now i think I'll pass.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Was looking forward to this. I should have known they'd use their tried and true HORRIBLE F2P matrix that makes the game practically unplayable.

/sad

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

Actually if it is like EQ2 this should be fun.  You will have to put some money into the game, but if it's like EQ2 then at triple station cash adding a class would be a whopping $3 real money, and you aren't going to play all the classes anyway.  They will probably make it so for small amounts of money you can have epic type gear which you can wait until your full lev to pay for without subbing.  Unless you are a compulsive spender it will be a lot cheaper than subbing.  There seems to be this myth that not subbing means spending more money which at least in my case has not been true.  Not even close.  Yes, I realize that certain restrictions might really bother some, but it has not diminished the fun I have had in DCUO or EQ2.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

Ok, i was excited for this but no, not gonna play. Companies really need to learn from L2 and Aion model. I mean they could even get a hint from DCUO since it's SOE too but no, they had to come up with this horrible model. No thanks.

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

Agree, Nuttob!

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Just for people wondering.  SOE does this kind of system because they're incapable of creativity and actually releasing content patches people would pay 5-10$ for.   The best F2P model is 100% free with optional content patches every other month that cost 5-10$.  In theory 50% of the players would buy the patch on the 1st day and up to 90% would buy it within 30 days so it wouldn't even be free but would seem free and you would still be getting a monthly fee people would just think its optional.

I really don't get why they don't go this route.  Say they have 10k players and going f2p brings in 100k people (very likely could atleast a true F2P would)  Say 50% of that buys a content patch every other month for 10$ thats more revenue than they get now from the game.

ONE MORE THING people.

Subscriptions can be paid for with station cash.  This is key because SOE has DOUBLE and triple station cash weekends you can get this game for as little as 4.50a month and pay for it yearly. DO the math VG with 5-6 times as many players is worth 5$ a month.  I rarely play EQ anymore, but when SOE had triple weekend I reupped all 5 of my accounts for 4.50 a month for a year and I put enough station cash on each account to pay for 2 more years on each.

how can you say SOE is about money when they do this kind of tihng ?  and they do it 4-5 times a year basically letting people play there games for 1/3rd of the cost.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by William12

Subscriptions can be paid for with station cash.

SOE removed that option for EQ2 a few weeks ago

http://eq2wire.com/2012/06/09/john-smedley-addresses-stationcash-for-eq2-subs/

I doubt Vanguard will have it

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

How does Smedley still have a job?

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Customer service - knowledge database

Good grief!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by William12

Subscriptions can be paid for with station cash.

SOE removed that option for EQ2 a few weeks ago

http://eq2wire.com/2012/06/09/john-smedley-addresses-stationcash-for-eq2-subs/

I doubt Vanguard will have it

Its in every game they have , but EQ2.  I would assume it will be in Vanguard also.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

For some reason or another I do not see a TON of new people trying this game out now.  Besides unlimited time, the free version is more limiting than their trial they have offered forever.   Eh I guess EQ2 is doing ok with the "you can't really play this without paying a sub" model.

I also personally don't see them making a lot of extra revenue with a payment model such as that, which could have provided more resources to actually improving the game, something which they haven't done since the game was released.  It's my understanding that many people didn't want to sub to the game because they weren't doing anything to improve the game, add content, etc.  Why would they want to sub now?  "We assembled our team with only the most passionate Vanguard developers...." What all three of them?

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

chunking still an issue after all of this time?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    Originally posted by chagarin

and to think i was looking forward to this. Shame.

this. Soe.. pathetic as always.

• nukemsnukems Member Posts: 1

I was very looking forward to this . Now .... not at all . good job soe . you think they would have learned from EQ2 . anyways soe , catch up with the times or quit . 

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by remyburke

Common gear = bad idea.

So close to being acceptable otherwise. Shame.

Gamebreaker right there.  Another SOE clusterf%^&.

/shakes head at SOE and walks away sadly

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

f2p my ass.. in eq2 f2p chars are so gimp they arent even allowed by guilds to come on raids as the allowable gear sucks.  only reason to play vanguard is maybe for the housing and boats etc, which is also locked. sorry, I'll give this one a miss.

have a look at AION's f2p and learn from that to implement in everquest "next" - which i read is a low budget farmville on steroids game.. wtf soe...?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Xstatic912
    Another quality F2P game.. talk about choices

yet another bad F2P conversion from SOE..... Free players get too many obvious limitations to be forced to pay for a gold sub?.... that sux.... Same happened with EQ2.... Why not follow the DCUO example instead which was awesomely successful

• imajikaimajika Member Posts: 9

I was looking forward to the Everquest 2 FTP until I logged in and found I couldn't use bags that I'd got when I was a subscriber. Instantly uninstalled.

I was looking forward to the Vanguard FTP until I saw you can only equip commons. Won't bother playing now.

I am loking forward to Guild Wars 2 and may even spend some money in the shop as that is what a true FTP game should be.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I'm not too surprised, the EQ2 F2P was severely limiting, why wouldn't this be.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

no psi? WTH :(

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by nukems

you think they would have learned from EQ2 

They did.

The model works, regardless of how much posters on MMORPG.com complain about it.

The game right now, in the US, has 8 medium pop (400+) servers and 2 high pop (I think 1000+)

To compare, Rift in the US, shortly after its big 1.9 conquest patch, has 5 medium pop servers (also 400+) and 1 high pop server.  This is around 10 pm eastern.  Rift still has more players overall (it has 10 low pop servers and probably a few of those medium servers like Faeblight would be EQ high pop servers), but still the active player bases are comparable.

In addition, EQ2's community is still solid.  

The difference between a game like EQ2 and VG vs a game like L2 or Aion, is the game is good enough to warrant a sub.  The f2p model is designed to get people to play the game without worrying about when their trial limits will cut off their gameplay, and eventually many of these people sub.  

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

"common" gear and no fishing?

Why should that much even matter? I understand no housing and such, but christ!

Don't think I'm even gonna bother now...

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

this F2p is terrible, great job SOE. I guess they like to beat a dead horse, to shame, by implementing this crap of "f2p".