Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad news coming from Korea

Comments

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by hopenottaken

Hai

http://www.gametrics.com/news/News02_View.aspx?seqid=8036

April = 134,717
    May = 92,580
    June 1st week = 67,931
    June 2nd week = 63,099
    June 3rd week = 49,664 (-21.29%)

And Blade and Soul will officially launch at the end of the month.

R.I.P.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by otacu

Originally posted by hopenottaken Hai http://www.gametrics.com/news/News02_View.aspx?seqid=8036 April = 134,717 May = 92,580 June 1st week = 67,931 June 2nd week = 63,099 June 3rd week = 49,664 (-21.29%)
    And Blade and Soul will officially launch at the end of the month.

R.I.P.

Anyone else surprised by the fact that B&S's release date was announced just five days before launch?

• hopenottakenhopenottaken Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Alot

Anyone else surprised by the fact that B&S's release date was announced just five days before launch?

Ride the hype tide.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

why didnt they release this  as a b2p  they would have sold  double if not  triple the number of copies and then   been able to milk the cash shop

would have made more in box sales than they are going to do now

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    funny,  aion is having problems now on us and eu but in korea its still the first one

This says it all.

Unlike AION - TERA, despite its origins and looks, is not suited for the KR audience (super fast xp, no grind, no botting, relatively easy gear etc.. they don't like those things over there).

Which is why Aion did bad (and doing worse) in the West, while in the East is doing good.

Will see when QoA pt2 goes live in the west. Besides, it's def not a mainstream game: it has its userbase and will probably have  its niche until someone will pull off another title with similar combat in the West (Neverwinter maybe?)

Blade n Soul: those in the west who hate tera for its looks will never play BnS anyways :D

Originally posted by samvenice
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    funny,  aion is having problems now on us and eu but in korea its still the first one

This says it all.

Unlike AION - TERA, despite its origins and looks, is not suited for the KR audience (super fast xp, no grind, no botting, relatively easy gear etc.. they don't like those things over there).

Which is why Aion did bad (and doing worse) in the West, while in the East is doing good.

Will see when QoA pt2 goes live in the west. Besides, it's def not a mainstream game: it has its userbase and will probably have  its niche until someone will pull off another title with similar combat in the West (Neverwinter maybe?)

Blade n Soul: those in the west who hate tera for its looks will never play BnS anyways :D

It's apparently not suited for the western audience too

• Iced0verIced0ver Member Posts: 49
    Korea has a smaller population with a higher game density. This means a small amount of people playing lots of games, instead of lots people having fewer games to play. I think we need not worry.
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Hopefully they will open up this game for the rest of Asia to gather more subs

RIP Orc Choppa

• Crunchy22Crunchy22 Member Posts: 51

I would actually see this as a positive.

Korea and the west are like polar opposites with mmorpgs.  Aion was a great example...even going 100% free they only had to add one server, and mostly it was people on the other servers rerolling (had to merge two old ones).  Its a well made game, incredibly populair in korea, and nearly dead as a completely free game with a non p2w cash shop.

Im sure TERA's subs are down in the states too..however if its more popular here, expect more development focused at this market, rather than whatever pleases the koreans (which is always diffrent from what westerners want).  I would assume as a sub based game it was already more profitable in the US here than it was in korea.

They need some solid content to go with their awesome combat system and great graphics.  Focus on what the west wants because the west is interested in this combat, korea just wants something that can be botted and farmed for eternity.

The development is done in Korea don't expect them to start catering to the western's taste . I'ts just not going to happen.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by zimboy69

why didnt they release this  as a b2p  they would have sold  double if not  triple the number of copies and then   been able to milk the cash shop

would have made more in box sales than they are going to do now

Because there are very few B2P games back in 2007 when they started to develop Tera. And back than P2P was still going strong. So I guess it was bad luck but the game was started when P2P was strong but finished when P2P starting to faulter.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

A Game could do decent off combat it is the way that Enmasse has done this.

1. The False Advertisement, Aka they charge me $1 more than they were supposed to on my recipet because of tax. * So I reported to the FTC.*

2. I was lead to believe customizations were 100% free to start with, and the game was P2P then I find out to get the epic mounts and all that I gotta pay more money, lets say I didn't mind that much but after having to pay $10 per character customization change it felt like Aion I paid for 1 month sub played a few about 5 hours quit after.

3.The False advertisement because of Digital Rivers calling cash shop items and Electronic Download when they are not electronic downloads but micro transactions.

4. Misleading me as a consumer then not giving me any TOS on my manual and becasue I made my account before launch I was never required to agree to a TOS.

Anyways these are just some of the things I have had to put up with playing Tera, I dropped my subscription, I am now playing C9, and a few others which seem to have better combat than Tera anyways at least I can say C9 is 100% F2P no cash shop yet and I have already played it more hours than I have Tera anyways as paying for their game on a monthly sub.

Tera Just isn't worthit it needs better management, nad someone who knows how to run a game, see thats the problem with the gaming industry you get these uninfromed uneducated kids in the gaming industry who don't know how to give players what they want and as a result the game is like a sinking boat.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

What, a new game comes alone with a similiar genre and it takes subs? What is this madness? /facepalm.

Sure, link away before the numbers being weaker but if your associating a game release taking numbers away from a game, you really have no clue just how games typically work. EVERY game loses subs/players on the release of a relatively big new game. At the very best you might come out  near even though chances of that happening greatly lessen the more alike the genre the game has. 

In the end I have a feeling that Tera's saving grace would be in the West. It came out in korea far less feature heavy then here and so long as they continue, they can likely save themselves and really keep living on. Issue comes though that Western gamers are far more known for ADD and will likely drop a good game quickly without giving it much of a chance since we lack any attention span at all. If they can manage to overcome that, they got a good chance to pick up and continue to thrive.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    [mod edit]

You left the station a long time ago, but for some reason can't seem to let it go. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The development is done in Korea don't expect them to start catering to the western's taste . I'ts just not going to happen.  

Who's tastes are they catering to then? It doesn't seem to be Koreans because they don't seem to much like the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

I do not care about korea and the playerbase there. GW2 starts in 2month and until then TERA is my choice

Originally posted by lizardbones

Who's tastes are they catering to then? It doesn't seem to be Koreans because they don't seem to much like the game.

yes the koreans.

And they are failing at it.

You know what was incredibly stupid? the fanboys on this forum claiming that

"Since Tera did crap in Korea it will do very well here in the west since we have opposite taste"

LOL it's not like it was not to korean taste... it's just that it is (was) a weak game overall. Pretty shocking truth i guess.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Kumapon
    I like Tera but things are not looking good right now...:(

Will Tera make it into 2013 ? Will it be FTP by then ?

God I hope not cause right now TERA is the best game I have played even if combat is the only thing it got right.

http://www.gametrics.com/news/News02_View.aspx?seqid=8040

April = 134,717
    May = 92,580
    June 1st week = 67,931
    June 2nd week = 63,099
    June 4th week = 41,163 (-17.12%)

This game is just sad.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Originally posted by hopenottaken

http://www.gametrics.com/news/News02_View.aspx?seqid=8040

April = 134,717
    May = 92,580
    June 1st week = 67,931
    June 2nd week = 63,099
    June 4th week = 41,163 (-17.12%)This game is just sad.

O hai hopenottaken. Been a week since last we were illuminated by one of your obsessive posts. That now makes your account 3 weeks old and all 17 of your posts ragging on a little inofensive niche game. Maybe you should get that checked out.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by Teekay

Wow, is anyone still playing Tera anymore?

I thought it would be dead by now.

Enjoying your pointless opvp and meaningless vanarch system?

The endless equipment grind?

But wait!, maybe if i play lots I can get a cool looking mount!.....Oh, I have to pay 25 dollars to have one, and my ingame one never changes. SEEMS FAIR!.

Oh but aim based combat. So amazing! It surely makes up for the games grotesque shortcomings....

Goodbye terraaaaa!!

You are sort of a Troll. And yeah I play.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GorelikGorelik Member UncommonPosts: 13

What is the point in this post ?

Every MMO ever released have a drop in subscription along the time. So what ?

Why nor post the same details of all other mmos also, so we could compare. Then should be something.

The next MMO will be awesome. Until people reach the end game.

Originally posted by Gorelik

What is the point in this post ?

Every MMO ever released have a drop in subscription along the time. So what ?

Why nor post the same details of all other mmos also, so we could compare. Then should be something.

Hello? From 37 to 4 servers....

That's a 90% drop.

Feel free to compare to other mmorpgs

Originally posted by Reas43 O hai hopenottaken. Been a week since last we were illuminated by one of your obsessive posts. That now makes your account 3 weeks old and all 17 of your posts ragging on a little inofensive niche game. Maybe you should get that checked out.

You're welcome. I'll post a message about KTera population next week to see how it does with a new update and a F2P server.

Look forward for it.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    An interesting thing about this websites forums is the unnatural divide between those who obsess week after week and months after months on things the hate instead of obsessing on things they like. I can only imagine the internal turmoil, the barely held back internal agitation. It could be a mechanic of release from frustrations brought about by a tormented personal life by lashing out. But that's just a working theory.

Bottom line is: wouldn't it feel better to focus on things you enjoy with like minded people or obsess on things you dislike, with that welling sensation of unwellness stewing the innards?

Fascinating.