Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing game. My attention is grabbed....<./sigh> finally.

DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

Im not an mmo-holic but ive been probably searching for an mmo to grab my attention for sooo long. My 1st mmo (and im not afraid to admit) was WoW thoroughly enjoyed really good game. A problem then happened in the fact that i got slightly bored of it and i suppose a few years back went on the rampage for a new mmo (high fantasy). Never found it..played a whole bunch...

Aion,

WAR,

Mortal Online,

GW1,

AOC (pretty good)

TERA,

SWTOR (laughable only due to the fact it was the shortest played and prob the highest hopes).

There are more to add but i cannot think right now. Overall i beleive if anyone is in a similar situation, generally trying to find a bit of the WoW feeling you had from many moons ago give TSW a try. It is by no means the same but after all of this fantasy searching it turned out to be somethinga little different which has tickled my fancy.

Oh yes love the way underhyped games release. This title will be the one of 2012 if it plays its cards right im sure.

Comments

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Depends.. I played tsw during the closed beta and to me the game qas quite boring, felt like just the newest world of warcraft clone in a new skin, Combat was generally the same, same themepark-like content system, The game also says its level-less, but its really not. I can't seem to think why people think TSW is so good, my best friend plays it yet I am still unable to figure out how he finds it any fun or interesting, I've played it and watched streams and found ti quite boring.. Maybe I am missing something here?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Originally posted by Siveria

Maybe I am missing something here?

Youre not, Don't worry.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

One of the things that grabbed me the most was the ability wheel and all the possible combinations of abilities and weapons. I just love tinkering with stuff like that. I like the combat and tried out pistols yesterday and really love the stylized gunsmoke.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I keep saying this lol but TSW for me is by far the best themepark MMORPG on the market and i dont see anything better coming out this year..

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Depends.. I played tsw during the closed beta and to me the game qas quite boring, felt like just the newest world of warcraft clone in a new skin, Combat was generally the same, same themepark-like content system, The game also says its level-less, but its really not. I can't seem to think why people think TSW is so good, my best friend plays it yet I am still unable to figure out how he finds it any fun or interesting, I've played it and watched streams and found ti quite boring.. Maybe I am missing something here?

/facepalm

• JohnnymmoJohnnymmo Member Posts: 99
    Silveria you difinitly missing out :)
    And no its nothing like wow
  • dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Did we play the same game? I completely understand you not liking it, or any game for that matter. it is personal choice of what is fun. The problem I have is in saying it is a WOW clone reskinned....its not. Anyone paying half-attention knows that.
    I could go on and on in that area but there are so different it makes me wonder if you actually played. Also, while all RPGs, MMO or Otherwise have to have some kind of hotbar, gui, whatever, the combat is closer to GW/GW2 than WOW. Combat is nothing like it.

Now, It is a theme park but the content is delivered very differently. Some of the missions are well hidden standards like Fed-ex and Kill quests but the deliver is what makes it better.

Example: Running along a deserted street and come to an Icecream Truck.. he music is still going and that is a bit creepy considering the setting. There is a pack of zombies eating something. It is a severed hand. The hand gives you a side mission to return the arm to its owner in the grave yard. There is a little puzzle even (simple but still different) in finding the grave location because missions are not spoon feeding you answers.

Not bagging on WOW and again, no one is going to like every game but the comparison as a WOW clone  is simply silly to me and makes no sense.

• Crunchy22Crunchy22 Member Posts: 51

"You not in Azeroth anymore!"

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

I'm sorry you didn't find the joy in TSW that some of us did.

from my 3 months of CB and some more time on the game now, I can say that to fully enjoy the game you need to let it immerse you in. TSW is the kind of game that grows in you with time, I'm actually enjoying it a lot more now (after 3 months) than when I first steped in New York. But even in the start I was already enjoying it, so the game can also not be for you.

That's what happens when the game is a niche, some people love it as the best thing in the last 8 years (like me) and some  don't understand what people see in it.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by dougmysticey

Did we play the same game? I completely understand you not liking it, or any game for that matter. it is personal choice of what is fun. The problem I have is in saying it is a WOW clone reskinned....its not. Anyone paying half-attention knows that.
    I could go on and on in that area but there are so different it makes me wonder if you actually played. Also, while all RPGs, MMO or Otherwise have to have some kind of hotbar, gui, whatever, the combat is closer to GW/GW2 than WOW. Combat is nothing like it.

Now, It is a theme park but the content is delivered very differently. Some of the missions are well hidden standards like Fed-ex and Kill quests but the deliver is what makes it better.

Example: Running along a deserted street and come to an Icecream Truck.. he music is still going and that is a bit creepy considering the setting. There is a pack of zombies eating something. It is a severed hand. The hand gives you a side mission to return the arm to its owner in the grave yard. There is a little puzzle even (simple but still different) in finding the grave location because missions are not spoon feeding you answers.

Not bagging on WOW and again, no one is going to like every game but the comparison as a WOW clone  is simply silly to me and makes no sense.

It's a completely different game IMHO.

Yes, it does have combat, and the combat while I still find fun, could use some improvements. Yes, it does have levels (hidden as gear QL, but they're still there), and it does have some fed ex and kill X quests... but that's about it.

The athmosphere, and the quests in general, are what sold me on the game at least, and if you see previous posts I was one that wasn't planning on playing it at all past the betas. For example:

WARNING - SPOILERS - WARNING - SPOILERS

in one quest an NPC tells me that there are no transmissions coming from the radio and suddenly something is heard in his radio and he quickly turns it off and goes on about how the antenna is broken and can't be fixed, so next step is to investigate. First I need to find the antenna, there are no quests markers about where it is

When I find it, I have to look if there's a way to repair it, on the antenna there is a label with a serial number and the company that makes it, so I have to go to the company's website, the affiliate mentioned on the antenna label, input the serial number to find about the antenna and check for information about how it might be repaired. Then I have to start looking for items that might work for it (all sorts of items become interactive when doing this quest), things like a coat hanger for a conductor and stuff like that

Once the antenna is fixed, I can listen to the transmission... that it's in morse code. So I had to actually transcribe it to dots and dashes by listening to it (it was hard because it goes very fast so I cheated a little bit, used audacity to record the audio and looking at the waveform was easier to transcribe), look for morse code on the internet and translate the message, which gave me coordinates for an equipment drop.

I wasn't hand fed the steps I had to follow, most of them weren't even marked on the map, and there was really nothing to indicate I had to go to an external website to find the information I needed (lots of quests do that), and the website I had to go was created by funcom (among several others) to complement the game and give it a more real world feel to it. I really don't remember an MMO where I actually had to think about how to do something and not just follow the marker and mindlessly do what the quest text me tells me to do.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I respect your opinion. Maybe you're more of a sandbox and action combat fan. I am too, but i also enjoy other elements. I like TSW because, while i it's still an EQ type themepark, it's the most unique of the ones nowadays to me. It's not super different from all others, but what it does is special enough.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I keep saying this lol but TSW for me is by far the best themepark MMORPG on the market and i dont see anything better coming out this year..

Far as themeparks go, you are very correct.

:D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84

Depends.. I played tsw during the closed beta and to me the game qas quite boring, felt like just the newest world of warcraft clone in a new skin

I stoped there...you have not a single clue what your talking about 

• anwaranwar Member UncommonPosts: 108

Played a weekend beta, maybe it's because I didn't get very far, but it was far too dreary, art way too depressing, some quests require someone else to re-triggure, no directional for some quests, coulsn't remove a quest from your journal.  Each area had too many of exactly the same groups of baddies.

Possibly a fun game someday, some of the puzzle quests were really good, like the leveling system, never could figure out that supposed crafting system.

Ovarall?  No way is it worth the money they want at this point...not even close.  Wait and revisit after they reduce the price.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559
    Originally posted by anwar

Played a weekend beta, maybe it's because I didn't get very far, but it was far too dreary, art way too depressing, some quests require someone else to re-triggure, no directional for some quests, coulsn't remove a quest from your journal.  Each area had too many of exactly the same groups of baddies.

Possibly a fun game someday, some of the puzzle quests were really good, like the leveling system, never could figure out that supposed crafting system.

Ovarall?  No way is it worth the money they want at this point...not even close.  Wait and revisit after they reduce the price.

How reducing the price is goign make the game more easier? because crafting system will still be the same, so will be the puzzles and atmosphere of the game? you find game challenging so how does that change with reduced price? or you are saying you are fine with playing a difficult game as long as it is cheap?

*scratches head*

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by DonY81

AOC (pretty good)

very cool.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

When they say it is a level-less system you need to under stand that they are saying that you DO NOT have levels like most MMORPGs, you will never be a level 27 (put in any class) and get the skill that everyone else will get for being level 27 of that class.

You PICK and CHOOSE what skills you get, so to players can go through the same things in game and be aiming for the same end game but will be compleatly diffrent.

But I would say this is not the game for you, you seem to be trying to campair it to hard to what you know well, and not able to step outside that WoW box.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

The ADD generation of multitaskers and headline news will not have the patience for TSW. This game makes you slow down, pay attention to the quest dialogue for hints, and think about the answers to quests. You CANNOT skip quest descriptions, spam abilities, and rush to endgame if you expect to enjoy this game. You need to use synergistic skills, pay attention to your environment, and think outside the box to get the most out of this adventure game MMO.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by anwar

So what you are saying, is that its a game that requires you to THINK, instead of being spoon-fed what to do ???

I LIKE IT,  you just convinced me to try it !

Syco

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Senadina

The ADD generation of multitaskers and headline news will not have the patience for TSW. This game makes you slow down, pay attention to the quest dialogue for hints, and think about the answers to quests. You CANNOT skip quest descriptions, spam abilities, and rush to endgame if you expect to enjoy this game. You need to use synergistic skills, pay attention to your environment, and think outside the box to get the most out of this adventure game MMO.

This seals it ..... stopping by Best Buy after work!

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

I agree 100%. People whi play this like WoW/Rift/Lotro/Aion/EQ, will not get as much enjoyment out of the game. I am amazed at how different and fun this game is, but I am taking my time and trying to figure out the quests (spent 5 hours on Kingsmouth code quest and loved it).

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Originally posted by BigCountry

i'm sorry but as much as i like TSW, GW2 will crush this game

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by alkrmr
    Originally posted by BigCountry

i'm sorry but as much as i like TSW, GW2 will crush this game

This is not a competition , you know. As a matter of fact, im getting them both, and i hope a lot of people will too

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

I'm happy to play an MMO that allows me (requires, actually) use my brain to solve quest lines. I love having to look for clues, interpret riddles, figure out out-of-the-box gameplay to advance (SPOILER - there's a mission where you have to be dead in order to see clues for the quest stages), etc. Combat is just a means to an end for the side missions, really. To be honest, I think the combat is definitly the worst part of TSW, but it really is no worse than any other ability-bar-cooldown-centric combat system (I think it's actually a lot better than SWTOR's, which is a static cooldown-watching fest of irritation, imo). 

I can see how this would not be a game for the masses, as it requires people to actually think beyond combat ability cycling. TSW shines in its approach to the main quests and story lines that require investigation, thinking, and experimenting and not just chopping wood.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

LOL, yeah, the negative comments here are really making me want to try out the game even more (just waiting till payday :) ). 

Sick to death of games that hand-hold and spoon-feed.  I want to be immersed in actually figuring out the PvE world around me, instead of it being always absolutely obvious what to do next.  Horses for courses, plenty of room for all types of game.

From the sounds of it, this game is going to be a fairly successful niche game like EVE Online.  Hope so, anyway, the industry needs to get out of this rut of WoW-worship and make games that are different and fun again, that find their own audiences.