Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sylvari Clothing / armor

GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

So I enjoy that each race sort of has a style for their culture, their armor and clothing reflects it.  However, from what (Admittedly very litle) i have seen of the sylvari, that whole wrapped in lettuce look is kind of attrocious.  I hope there's more to it than just making my character look like a kelp wrapped nudist.

Comments

• orator1970orator1970 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

However, from what (Admittedly very litle) i have seen of the sylvari, that whole wrapped in lettuce look is kind of attrocious. 

That made me lol :)

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

At least it's not a 3 leaf strategic placement. I imagine there'll be all sorts of different looks for them just as there are for the other races.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/includes/images/screenshots/sylvari/sylvari-03.jpg

From Anet's Sylvari page- a shot of several synvari in costume.

I suspect the "wild/natural" look is always going to be a theme with them, but they still will have some variety.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

So I enjoy that each race sort of has a style for their culture, their armor and clothing reflects it.  However, from what (Admittedly very litle) i have seen of the sylvari, that whole wrapped in lettuce look is kind of attrocious.  I hope there's more to it than just making my character look like a kelp wrapped nudist.

They are plants....

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Zzad

They are plants....

nuff said ....

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

There were a couple of Sylvari npc's hanging around in Divinity's Reach on the stress test. Dunno if they were there on the BWE's before that. To be honest, I'm not that keen on their look either. Think I'll be boring and stick to humans :)

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Those are the Sylvari racial armors. You can wear normal armor if you like it more.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Originally posted by megera23

Those are the Sylvari racial armors. You can wear normal armor if you like it more.

I hope so

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

<provides proof>

Click for larger pic.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

After looking at some of the images and reading that little article about the Sylvari, my understanding of them has grown a bit.  Originally I think my brain fixated on a more "elven" race.  This is definitely n ot the case and the more I look at the models and read the concept the more I like the race, a truly unique race that I can't think of any comparison to.  The idea of the armor more or less growing naturally is a very interesting concept and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

I'm the opposite, I would never put textile armor on a Sylvari, I especially love their leafy clothes. :)

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally I think my brain fixated on a more "elven" race.  This is definitely not the case and the more I look at the models and read the concept the more I like the race, a truly unique race that I can't think of any comparison to.  

Along with the article posted above, have you watched this accompanying video: 

Growing the Sylvari with Ree Soesbee and Kristen Perry Interview

As you've come to acknowledge, they are trees with leaves that create the illusion of  humanoid like features.  Definitely my favorite race!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm sort of curious how the racial armor thing will work. Will new Sylvari starting armor be racial? How will upgrades be available? If Sylvari players do get racial armor early and then need to rely on Transmutation Stones to maintain the look, then we have to hope that availability of the stones outside of the gem store greatly improves. Otherwise,  it's going to be expensive, via cash or gold to gem trading, to keep a Sylvari in the racial armor look over the course of their progression, for those who desire to do so.

I personally wil be fine with my Sylvari running arouund in non-racial armor for most of the progression, if need be, but I know some people will not.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Bijou

I'm the opposite, I would never put textile armor on a Sylvari, I especially love their leafy clothes. :)

Well, since I like nature so much...I really like their leafy clothes and the whole race itself.

It will be a hard tie between choosing Charr, Human or Sylvari...all three look awesome. Then the Norns are cool (I'll have one as an alt), since I love vikings and they are a bit similar to them.

But yeah, I actually like the look of Sylvari. I think their race clothes really suit them.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by orator1970

However, from what (Admittedly very litle) i have seen of the sylvari, that whole wrapped in lettuce look is kind of attrocious. 

totally agree to whimsical for my taste, they need some edge to them. Even the Asura have that "scarey kid from horror movies"  tone going on.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Nefera

Click for larger pic.

I would photoshop the legs a little, you made dem go outside the armor, but beside that great photomanipulation! :D!

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156

After looking at some of the images and reading that little article about the Sylvari, my understanding of them has grown a bit.  Originally I think my brain fixated on a more "elven" race.  This is definitely n ot the case and the more I look at the models and read the concept the more I like the race, a truly unique race that I can't think of any comparison to.  The idea of the armor more or less growing naturally is a very interesting concept and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Clearly you've never played Dark Age of Camelot. Hibernians got a Sylvan race.

I would even go far enough to say that Mythic did them better.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by mikuniman
    Originally posted by orator1970

totally agree to whimsical for my taste, they need some edge to them. Even the Asura have that "scarey kid from horror movies"  tone going on.

I think you can make your sylvari look a bit darker or scarier. I'm pretty sure you can choose more of a bark look (winter look) than a leafy summer look. 

I think the thing we have to remember is that the sylvari as a race is only 25 years old at the time of GW2. So the problem is trying to make the race look naive, whimiscle, and youthful, while giving options for a darker, older look. 

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Originally posted by Isasis
    Originally posted by Bijou

Well, since I like nature so much...I really like their leafy clothes and the whole race itself.

It will be a hard tie between choosing Charr, Human or Sylvari...all three look awesome. Then the Norns are cool (I'll have one as an alt), since I love vikings and they are a bit similar to them.

But yeah, I actually like the look of Sylvari. I think their race clothes really suit them.

"Suit".  Lol.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by liva98989
    Originally posted by Nefera

Click for larger pic.

I would photoshop the legs a little, you made dem go outside the armor, but beside that great photomanipulation! :D!

Here's some more photomanipulation for you then. ;)

(edit: removed link and added image - click image for larger picture)

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Well that's the style that fits their (young) culture, maybe you don't fit in but the armor does?