Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Splinter Cell Conviction

ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Just this last weekend I bought SCC for the low price of 2,95 € and am truly enjoying the game. While it does have allot of action sequence animations it does have a great feel to it for me atleast and is above else pretty challenging.

I am kinda wondering if this might feel how the new Hitman installement might feel like. But seeing the new Hitman as the improved version of SCC.

I know the game is already abit old, 2010 released?, but still the game looks amazing. 

Comments

• SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

Originally posted by Reklaw
    While it does have allot of action sequence animations it does have a great feel to it for me atleast and is above else pretty challenging.
    Not to be rude, mate, but Conviction is justifiably scorned as the simplest and most linear of the Splinter Cell games (courtesy of, among other aspects, the enemy AI constantly announcing the presence of all hostiles via vocal cues); furthermore, as a fan of the prior games, Chaos Theory in particular, the storyline is ludicrous. I'm willing to acknowledge that the graphics increased in fidelity and the stealth-mechanic/animations are far more fluid, yet that scarcely balances the flaws.

...oh, the co-op portion is also quite enjoyable. Indeed, I'd say it's vastly superior to the singleplayer content.

I am kinda wondering if this might feel how the new Hitman installement might feel like. But seeing the new Hitman as the improved version of SCC.
    Heaven forbid!
    Have you played any Hitman games? As someone who considers a title from 2010 "old" I'm inclined to presume not, yet perhaps you can surprise me. Perhaps you're a franchise-fan... in which case, what is wrong with you?

Splinter Cell, notably Conviction, has more in common with the Assassin's Creed series than Hitman and for obvious reasons: each was developed by Ubisoft Montreal. Indeed, at the time of Conviction's release a rather expansive thread was created... I believe it was at the RPGCodex... detailing the numerous cross-title resources Conviction shared with AC2 (most notably animations, which are almost identical at times). Hitman, on the other hand, has more in common with franchises such as Deus Ex or Thief, focusing on legitimate stealth and typically penalizing overt aggression. Yes, run-n-gun tactics can be employed, but most often they will lead to subpar results or outright mission failure.

True, the recent spat of Absolution marketing has done little to bolster my confidence in the release of a true successor in the Hitman series (being too mainstream and implicitly violent), yet I'm hoping the developer's possess sufficient courage to deliver a product that will satisfy the Hollywood glamour-and-gore crowd while maintaining the same depth I've come to expect.

Pardon me as I ramble on, but Hitman is not, and never has been, about sex or violence; the focus is not on blasting through the opposition (as in most games); you are not playing as Ezio, leaping about buildings and killing a dozen men with flashy blades in some chic outfit before dashing away into the crowd, nor are you Sam Fisher, mopping up a building in clinical style with all manner of techno-gadgets. Hitman focuses on the exploits of Agent 47, a clinically-detached, utterly dispassionate man. The perfect assassination doesn't involve explosions (well, any more than are absolutely necessary), high-powered firearms or fancy footwork; the perfect assassination, as 47, relies on patience, planning and flawless execution: analyze the path of the patrols, the populace, the target's needs, the materials available and only then do you act. Perhaps you dress as a clown and visit the neighbor's home on some pretense of a child's birthday party? Or is it over the fence you go, having drugged the guard-dog? Or did you merely garrote a guard and assume his identity? Then it's inside, unnoticed and unremarkable, wending through the barriers until you reach your target, then... done. Quick, clean, silent. Drugs, piano wire or a simple push and it's over. And you leave.

If you've never played a Hitman game, might I recommend you give Blood Money a try? It's the latest, hence the graphics are least likely to offend those who are... fickle about such things. Personally, I believe Hitman 2: Silent Assassin to be the premier, thus far, yet, again, Blood Money is a far more accessible title.
    Trust me, if you can shelve the need to pull the trigger merely because you have a firearm in hand, you'll discover a relentlessly satisfying series, one that rewards innovation and attention to detail.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Saw nothing rude really so no worries, we both just voice our opinion.

As for hitman, yes have them all and also love that series, aswell all AC games and all SC games, but was missing SCC and as said bought it last weekend. For 2,95 its such a low price for the game it completly worth it. Perhaps if I did buy it on release I might have been somewhat dissappointed.

But to me I have stopped comparing games from the past to be honost as it only leds to disappointment and I just play if a game is enjoyable to ME. And yes since I buy or have bought many games on release to me 2 years is already abit old since tech is constantly improving mostly with singleplayer games.

Are games made the last couple of years more simplistic, yeah for sure it doesn't matter which genre we pick, might this be the RTS genre, the RPG genre, the MMORPG genre, the puzzle genre, they all got more accesable towards mainstream.

Would I have liked the game is it was more complex and was allot deeper with stealth, for sure. But even with games I truly find fantastic I can find things that I might have done differently if I would have been a developer. ;)

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

SCC is worth 2.95 easily, but I bought it not long after release and at full price it was sorely lacking.

It was just an action game, there was no need for stealth at all, the AI was as dumb as a box of rocks and the campaign was so short I played it through fully twice in 10 hours to get the different ending achievements.

I hope the new hitman doesn't play anything like this but from that trailer they released of the hitman destroying those sexy nun women it looks like they may be going in that direction.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

SCC is worth 2.95 easily, but I bought it not long after release and at full price it was sorely lacking.

It was just an action game, there was no need for stealth at all, the AI was as dumb as a box of rocks and the campaign was so short I played it through fully twice in 10 hours to get the different ending achievements.

I hope the new hitman doesn't play anything like this but from that trailer they released of the hitman destroying those sexy nun women it looks like they may be going in that direction.

You realise there waqs nothing stopping people from palying old hitman games like that right?

You could play ever hitman game (never really played 1 so i cant say about that) like an action game if you choose, so i dont see how this is any different.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by warmaster670

You realise there waqs nothing stopping people from palying old hitman games like that right?

You could play ever hitman game (never really played 1 so i cant say about that) like an action game if you choose, so i dont see how this is any different.

The old hitman games rewarded stealth, you were a silent assassin. There are plenty of games already where you get to gun down people during quick time events, we don't need any more of them.

• SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

Glad to hear it, mate. I've been told, on more than one occasion, that what I intend as mere candor often comes across as rude. For what it counts, I respect that you enjoyed the game; what's more, to reiterate: I was reasonably entertained by much of it, namely the co-op portion. It's a decent game and well-worth purchasing at such a low price... it simply pales in compare to its predecessors.

You see, as to no longer "comparing games from the past ... as it only leds to disappointment and I just play a game if is enjoyable to ME" well, that manner of philosophy is fine, but far too philistine for my taste. Accepting mediocrity is what led us into this mess of style over substance, where a high-production cutscene, quick-time event and Whedon-esque dialogue are now a seemingly acceptable substitutes for proper gameplay. If you attended the recent E3, or merely read some of the coverage concerning such, you'd realize those very traits have over-saturated the market. When even the mainstream press take note, you know there's a legitimate issue at stake. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/172088/From_the_Editor_E3_2012__The_E3_of_Disillusion.php

Although, admittedly, Slickshoes likely hit on part of the reason I so despise Conviction...

SCC is worth 2.95 easily, but I bought it not long after release and at full price...
    Originally posted by SaintGraye

Glad to hear it, mate. I've been told, on more than one occasion, that what I intend as mere candor often comes across as rude. For what it counts, I respect that you enjoyed the game; what's more, to reiterate: I was reasonably entertained by much of it, namely the co-op portion. It's a decent game and well-worth purchasing at such a low price... it simply pales in compare to its predecessors.

You see, as to no longer "comparing games from the past ... as it only leds to disappointment and I just play a game if is enjoyable to ME" well, that manner of philosophy is fine, but far too philistine for my taste. Accepting mediocrity is what led us into this mess of style over substance, where a high-production cutscene, quick-time event and Whedon-esque dialogue are now a seemingly acceptable substitutes for proper gameplay. If you attended the recent E3, or merely read some of the coverage concerning such, you'd realize those very traits have over-saturated the market. When even the mainstream press take note, you know there's a legitimate issue at stake. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/172088/From_the_Editor_E3_2012__The_E3_of_Disillusion.php

Although, admittedly, Slickshoes likely hit on part of the reason I so despise Conviction...

SCC is worth 2.95 easily, but I bought it not long after release and at full price...

For me reference of old was more meant towards the topic since most of the topics relate to newer released games.

As for accepting mediocricy, I wouldn't go that far just because I bought a bargin. As said would I have bought the game at release with fresh memories of SC2 then my opinion might have been different about the game, but in the mids of most current released games I am enjoying a game 2 years old, there's not much in the stealth department to suite my taste with most current game.

My reference to hitman was more meant in the way to be looking forward to some hopefully more in depth stealth but again I don't have very high hopes for the game as said I feel mainstreaming the gaming genre has dumped down allot of games even the ones known for their more complex nature.....

I used to know I was within majority among gamers, these day's I know for a fact I am a minority among  a specific type of game type of gamer world wide.

Sure I want more complexity in my games, and hopefully someday some developer will develop that "perfect"game" which means it could be perfect for me and allot of peope but will never be perfect to 100% of gamers.

Meanwhile still enjoying SCC never the less even if it's less then what SC ones stood for, is it me playing a mediocre game, or is it me that is enjoying a game. I know my I am very openminded and enjoy many types of games and genre's. Example I can enjoy C&C series aswell Sins of a Solar series , where I feel C&C is the arcade and quick game fix SoaS is hte more complex type of RTS. And as said currently nothing really worth playing what I didn't already play  in the stealth department other then enjoying what I currently purchased which is Splinter cell Conviction.

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

SCC is worth 2.95 but not full price. Well everyone is different and some love to spend on games and some are stingy. I'm the stingy kind. 

That was actually my first splinter cell game and I was really put off. Watching videos of the previous games I thought this would be stealthy but when i got the game I was thoroughly confused. 

Never played hitman so I don't even know if its suppose to be an action game or a stealth game. 

Originally posted by ForTheCity

SCC is worth 2.95 but not full price. Well everyone is different and some love to spend on games and some are stingy. I'm the stingy kind. 

That was actually my first splinter cell game and I was really put off. Watching videos of the previous games I thought this would be stealthy but when i got the game I was thoroughly confused. 

Never played hitman so I don't even know if its suppose to be an action game or a stealth game. 

I would advice to perhaps get Sc1 and 2 they must be incredible cheap right now.

But.....next time you might want to consider watching and reading about the game you about to play instead of doing the highlighted red part. As it seems to be very clear that SCC was going to be more action oriented and was going for a different feel due to it's story.

But if I bought it  at release as all sign's are there to read and see that SCC would be different. As like any other gamer I like to inform myself aspecially with games I am about to buy on release.

It might be the reason why I didn't pick this game up at release, but for the bargin I bought it for now it's a entertaining fun game.