Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Subscribing?

Comments

• rav500rav500 Member Posts: 46

I concider the pvp to be very good and massive. The best I've played ever

Wait for reviews before judging! I also recommend to watch streamings and videos for the pvp

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by Styles755
    I've played various MMO's since the beginning of DAOC, with PVP being my main priority. Is PVP decent at all? Is it open world PVP or tiny minimap PVP sessions? Is this game worth the subscription or does it feel like a single player game with some MMO features thrown in, e.g. SWTOR? Thanks.

For me it's the game I've been waiting for since Asheron's Call 1. Modern, skill based, no levels, with some horror added in. Hell, it even got a good solid jump scare out of me yesterday. I don't really do a lot of PvP, but the battlegrounds are fun. I don't really like world PvP while I'm trying to level.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Yeah it is worth subbing for me. Not going anywhere for atleast 6 months. 

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

There is no proper answer to that for me yes it is worth it but if you like a easy no brainer mmo like most of the new mmos then hell no. Great game that has had me allready loseing hours of sleep and i cant rember a mmo doing that to me since when EQ or SWG were new

• kurtbarlowkurtbarlow Member Posts: 39

Worth Subscribing?  For me, the answer is no.

Because it's once again (hello swtor) single player rpg with mediocre story line, awful combat and terrible/boring quests.

The MMO part doesn't show anywhere, except for fighting over quest mobs/items and general chat.

• NavyJackalNavyJackal Member Posts: 82

I've played various MMO's since the beginning of DAOC, with PVP being my main priority. Is PVP decent at all? Is it open world PVP or tiny minimap PVP sessions? Is this game worth the subscription or does it feel like a single player game with some MMO features thrown in, e.g. SWTOR? Thanks.

Honestly I think it may be too early to accurately answer your questions.  I'd wait 4-6 weeks until the 'shiny new game' feeling wears off and people start looking at the game objectively.   Right now I think too many people are seeing the game through rose tinted glasses to give an unbiased opinion.

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84

the atmosphere of the game reminds me silent hill

the questing is simply EPIC,glad to see another mmo leaving behind the kill x this kill x that and repeat.

PVE is the strong point of TSW

PVP not so much but it is fun...i love fight clubs

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by kurtbarlow

Because it's once again (hello swtor) single player rpg with mediocre story line, awful combat and terrible/boring quests.

terrible quests?

lol i guess your IQ most be poor....

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

The MMO part doesn't show anywhere, except for fighting over quest mobs/items and general chat.

If TSW has terrible quests which MMO according to you have good quests? questing in TSW is nothing like SWTOR.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

If you are unsure then wait. Either you are the type who can look past its faults and have fun or those faults will make you dislike the game.

Since you have to buy it and pay a sub, give it some time.

A. the box price will come down.

B. they might do a buddy pass or trial so you can try the game.

c. you might find you like one of the new games coming.

d. you get to see more feedback to help you decide.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

How about you play your first free month and decide then ?  That's what im doing, will i sub at the end of the month ?  I dont know yet, it's too early to tell.

• minitarominitaro Member Posts: 42

Don't forget that Amazon (US) has a $10 Credit bonus offer, so you are in fact just paying $39.99 if you order through them

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Atlan99

The story is more mature than most mmo's and written better as well. The main story alone is probably worth the box price. Hard to say if it will have staying power. Might depend on how fast Funcom can churn out content.

The combat is like the post written about it here on the forums. You are basically just spamming a couple buttons over and over. The skill wheel tends to repeat itself over and over. With a lot of useless skills. For instance you will encounter a skill on a higher ring that is same as on lower and it does less damage. So why would you even bother with it?

Fusang is joke. I wouldn't even bother with if it didn't give the best SP in the game. It's a constant zerg fest. CC and instagib. Haven't got around to Battleground PvP yet.

Overall I say the game is worth the box price if you buy it for the story and atmosphere. If you are looking for PvP look elsewhere.

If you are spamming 2 buttons you are doing something wrong. You are ignoring ynergies between weapons and state effects. Some skills in the wheel do less damage than lower ones but add effects, change states and generally work in synergy with other skills. You have to build different gear sets with different skills depending on the situation. Oh and not to mention you can equip passives from weapons you don't have equipped and use them as 'bridge passives' between weapons that have zero synergy

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by DMKano

Only way to find out is to buy it - play it for 30 days and then see if it's worth it to you or not. 

Average retention for newly launched MMORPGs is around 70-80% (at least that's the target most companies shoot for).

Or wait for a free trial.  I played during open beta 3 and 4.  I expected beta level and didn't judge it on bugs.  I judged it on game play and intent.  That was enough for me to see that while it had a lot of good things/ideas I hope to see in new games to come, there isn't enough meat to the game for me to buy it or sub.  I'm also not a fan of buy + sub + cash shop.  Especially when a selling point is to "look how you want to look" with no visible gear having stats.  Putting a lot of those options in the cash shop only seems like a poor idea to me.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    The gear is also available in game, cash shop is only if you are lazy like me ..
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by muthax

If you are spamming 2 buttons you are doing something wrong. You are ignoring ynergies between weapons and state effects. Some skills in the wheel do less damage than lower ones but add effects, change states and generally work in synergy with other skills. You have to build different gear sets with different skills depending on the situation. Oh and not to mention you can equip passives from weapons you don't have equipped and use them as 'bridge passives' between weapons that have zero synergy

Yeah Yeah I'm doing it wrong. Blah Blah.

Compared to the 30+ keybinds in Swtor. This is cakewalk.

It's just the nature of the system. Do I occasionally throw up a barrier or throw in a stun? Yes. But for the most part my damage is two buttons. 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by muthax

Yeah Yeah I'm doing it wrong. Blah Blah.

Compared to the 30+ keybinds in Swtor. This is cakewalk.

It's just the nature of the system. Do I occasionally throw up a barrier or throw in a stun? Yes. But for the most part my damage is two buttons. 

Then you are doing it wrong, or haven't made it out of Kingsmouth.  If you only use two abilities in the Savage Coast and Blue Ridge, you'll be dying a lot.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Then you are doing it wrong, or haven't made it out of Kingsmouth.  If you only use two abilities in the Savage Coast and Blue Ridge, you'll be dying a lot.

But I'm not dying alot. and I'm past Kingsmouth.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

For me I can see that I will get my moneys worth in entertaiment. I usually buy my blu rays and this is about the price of 2 blue rays, while I have allready had more time and fun than the normal 4 hours a 2 films gives me. And I am still only in Kingsmouth.

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Ginaz

But I'm not dying alot. and I'm past Kingsmouth.

Is your faction leading in PvP? The buffs really add up if your faction has 5 or more of the control points. I know on Arcadia the Templars have most or all most of the time, and it's a pretty serious advantage with +350 defense, +7% crit chance, etc.

I know I use 4-7 of my abilities for any fight (except swarm zombies) now that I'm in Savage Coast.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170

If you want pvp I wouldn't play any mmorpgs, mofps like Planetside and Tribes are better.

• RyshaRysha Member Posts: 11

I don't think anyone can deny the combat is pretty simple - 2 builders 1 finisher per weapon, the other 3 slots for random utility or whatever. 

The synergy and all that people are talking about is something you do when making the build, not during combat. Everything from that synergy usually ends up being simple passive buffs or procs.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by kaguhoO

terrible quests?

lol i guess your IQ most be poor....

You're kidding? They are easy. Maybe he means terrible/boring as in not much of a challenge?

I didn't find one that challenged me for too long in Kingsmouth. Maybe they get harder further into the game? I'm looking forward to using the browser to find information.

• Styles755Styles755 Member Posts: 14

I thank all for the responses. I have decided to try it out, even though pvp is not the main concern. Since I've been hearing it's a lot of fun I will try it out for a bit. This is only to kill time before GW2 comes out anyway. I've looked at other MMOs out right now, this one seems to be the most positive reviewed and not a clone.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

i am sory but  we talking about TSW  not GW2