Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Weekend #3: Sylvari/Asura ??

SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Okay, so they've not only announced the release date for the game, but have said that there's only one final Beta Weekend before that.  With that being said, do you think they're going to have the Sylvari and Asura in it?  Do you want them to?

As a child, if the cookie jar was just sitting on the table, did you resist taking one?  Exactly.   I'm sure that it's just too tempting to resist.  Not to mention that if they were playable in the final BWE, then the WvWvW would be swarming with them and so would Lion's Arch.   This would lead to inevitable spoilers and other tad bits that players may or may not want to hear about coming right out.

So, the question's remain:  Will  Arena.net have them in the final event?  Should they? Are you going to dip a finger in the honey pot if it's there?

Comments

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

We'll see. If they wipe, I wouldn't doubt if everything is opened up ... but how big of a download will that be for everyone? It might not be worth it for just the small window of play time.

Personally, I am banking on them not being available. I would rather be pleasantly surprised than let down ;) I am just glad we have a release date, can't wait to dive in for real!

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

I don't think they will show us anything else before release, they already have over 50 hrs of gameplay on the beta, many 60$ games offer less than that in a full game..

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I voted yes. I highly doubt they will, though. I would like to see them, not because I want to play them (I do), but because I feel like if they don't, those zones will be too crowded compared to the other races at launch, and it might skew the demongraphics a bit.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Yes, they should. Not because "I want to play one" or anything like that. But because when a company says "We dont want to spoil everything" during beta's or "sneak peaks" that generally means the content in question is buggy as hell or just not there. I want to believe Anet isnt like every other MMO company in the last decade but I just cant.

The problem is these areas, including higher level areas are untested by the masses. So even if sufficient content is there its going to have some big problems. MMO companies seem to think thier internal testing is "good enough" but we see time and time again its not. Anet was no diffrent. They didnt have a solid, consistantly running beta and they had some pretty big issues the first beta weekend. Am I suposed to believe that thoes 2 areas and the higher level areas are any diffrent? Dont think so.

I'm so tired of MMO's useing the excuse "with the amount of people we couldnt have seen this comming" be it game breaking bugs, exploits, lack of content ect. Yes, you COULD have seen it comming. You just wanted to use beta as a marketing tool instead of a debugging tool like you should have.

So yea, for this beta weekend I want to see the other 2 races and I want them to give the option to autolevel to 80 so people can go to the higher level areas. Sure the players intent is just to see the content but it has the inherent effect that they will find some major bugs/issues.

PS to anyone saying "No, thoes are my races and I dont want it spoiled". Thats a sad excuse. Why is it ok for people who wanted to play Norn, Human, or Charr to have to play them from the getgo while yours gets hidden? If you dont want to see thoes races dont play them and turn off chat/dont pay attention to it. Its not hard to avoid spoilers people are just to lazy to do so.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

If it wasn't the last beta i would have voted yes all the way since i really want to try sylvari and probably will play a salad at release, it's summer time after all! But since it's the last beta, i'm not sure anymore, i don't really care either way, if they put them i'll at least be sure the character are actually to my liking, they are a bit weird honeslty, but it will spoil a bit my discovering, so i voted "maybe".

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    They actually do have a large group of closed beta testers. They've been under very strict NDA with their emails watermarked across their entire screen at all times to prevent leaks. It hasn't been completely breachless, though. From what I've seen and heard, the asura and sylvari were complete, but their zones still needed optimization. This was a few months ago, so they should be in good shape by now.

I'm indifferent on the question. If they add them, people could burn out on all the early content and be bored (of the first zones) at launch. If they don't add them, their zones could be overpopulated at launch.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage
    They actually do have a large group of closed beta testers. They've been under very strict NDA with their emails watermarked across their entire screen at all times to prevent leaks. It hasn't been completely breachless, though. From what I've seen and heard, the asura and sylvari were complete, but their zones still needed optimization. This was a few months ago, so they should be in good shape by now.

I'm indifferent on the question. If they add them, people could burn out on all the early content and be bored (of the first zones) at launch. If they don't add them, their zones could be overpopulated at launch.

Also heard the same leaks over on the GW2 reddit, about the state of the zones. There were even around 50 leaked screenshots of the Asuran zones, so I'm not all that worried about whether they are ready or not.

And I agree that if they release them then people would become burnt out on early content but if they don't then those zones will become overpopulated. So it's really a "lose, lose" situation. Unless you're like me, who delibrately held back on any PvE content (besides the 1st dozen Norn levels) and won't even touch the Asura or Sylvari till launch.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Originally posted by xenogias

Yes, they should. Not because "I want to play one" or anything like that. But because when a company says "We dont want to spoil everything" during beta's or "sneak peaks" that generally means the content in question is buggy as hell or just not there. I want to believe Anet isnt like every other MMO company in the last decade but I just cant.

The problem is these areas, including higher level areas are untested by the masses. So even if sufficient content is there its going to have some big problems. MMO companies seem to think thier internal testing is "good enough" but we see time and time again its not. Anet was no diffrent. They didnt have a solid, consistantly running beta and they had some pretty big issues the first beta weekend. Am I suposed to believe that thoes 2 areas and the higher level areas are any diffrent? Dont think so.

I'm so tired of MMO's useing the excuse "with the amount of people we couldnt have seen this comming" be it game breaking bugs, exploits, lack of content ect. Yes, you COULD have seen it comming. You just wanted to use beta as a marketing tool instead of a debugging tool like you should have.

So yea, for this beta weekend I want to see the other 2 races and I want them to give the option to autolevel to 80 so people can go to the higher level areas. Sure the players intent is just to see the content but it has the inherent effect that they will find some major bugs/issues.

PS to anyone saying "No, thoes are my races and I dont want it spoiled". Thats a sad excuse. Why is it ok for people who wanted to play Norn, Human, or Charr to have to play them from the getgo while yours gets hidden? If you dont want to see thoes races dont play them and turn off chat/dont pay attention to it. Its not hard to avoid spoilers people are just to lazy to do so.

And what is the point on giving a full game on the beta? Will you buy a game you already played? I don't think so

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I think in last interview with Colin he mentioned that they want to try to get the asura and sylvari into the last beta but they aren't sure if they can polish those enough in time for BWE3. If it only has small bugs remaining then they might release it for us to stamp out the smaller bugs before release.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Honner

And what is the point on giving a full game on the beta? Will you buy a game you already played? I don't think so

if the beta would be just for pre-purchasers without any opportunity for refunding, it would not matter.

but i agree, there are enough closed beta testers, which are looking for the bugs in higher zones. open beta nowadays is just advertisement and a bit stress testing.

however i would like to see the early zones of the Sylvari and Asura to check em out a bit.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

my Opinion if they will decide to add them before   august  Max it must be "stress test"  with same 5 hours play time.  so ppl can actually check them out but  with no time to play  no story spoilers will be  just some really overpopulated starting zone to stress server :) and PvP full of them.  No need to add "new" chars just 1 month before release date as it will be huge fun loosing factor to do all the same  DEs and hearts  all over again in such short period of time. 

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

No idea, if they're in, I probably wouldn't play one.

As I've already gone through the human starter area like 3 times (and have seen the Charr / Norn ones), but will probably play human anyhow at release, I'll just take my release character to the Sylvari / Asura starting zones to experience some new events and do the class based quests as they come up.

Would be good to have the areas tested though, not that I think that they're full of bugs, but the balance always goes out of whack when you throw 200 people at it.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• WolfenbrWolfenbr Member Posts: 34

I don't think so, we'll probably have a new final event tho and maybe a few new areas. I do think however that there will be, at some point in august, a full game stress test just before launch to make sure everything is ok. It would be embarassing to open the 3 day early access with a broken client/server.

• HiromantHiromant Member UncommonPosts: 99

I'd rather people got to try all races in the beta than a massive influx of sylvari/asura at release.

• nadrian3knadrian3k Member UncommonPosts: 101

I will be honest...altho i would love to play the other 2 races i prefer them not to show them. Keep some surprise for the end-product..not spoil everything.

As for the bugs....most of the bugs we found were "generic" bugs that warn't directly tied to one race or another (instead they were global bugs that effected all races because it was a common mechanic bug)....so considering the almost rock solid state of 3/5 races, i think they did a good enough job to ensure the other 2 races aren't so bugged, or if there are bugs...they won't be so irritating...like minor stuff that don't come between u and the campaing and stuff.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

They better, or else...

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

After seeing the Sylvari npc's in Divinity's Reach, I've decided to stick with human characters! I don't like the Sylvari's shiny faces! They are a novel race though, was  anice idea to include something 'different'.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by xalvi

They better, or else...

Or else you won't bother to play one on the beta?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I'd like to play with Asura / Sylvari during BW3.

I've been through human zone 2-3 times wanna try something new so I don't burn out on human zone for launch.

Hoping I fall in love w/the Asura cause they are so unique looking (as ar Sylvari )
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I don't want tha Sylvari.Asura areas open in BWE3 - I would like something to look forward to when the game releases.

• They need to be there so I can fiddle with character creator and make final race choices for my characters.  I actually don't mind if they just let us create them in the human area - which is what I'm planning to do - make em and move em to human area.  I actually don't need to spend much time on them just enough to make sure I like specific profession animations.  Plus the fact no matter what you choose in character creator things always look different when you get out into the world.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I don't think they will show us anything else before release, they already have over 50 hrs of gameplay on the beta, many 60$ games offer less than that in a full game..

/

This for real..

I will be starting out with a human ranger but will be making alts of every race over time, really looking forward to the release of this game and 50+ days is soooo far away...

Playing GW2..

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Okay, so they've not only announced the release date for the game, but have said that there's only one final Beta Weekend before that.  With that being said, do you think they're going to have the Sylvari and Asura in it?  Do you want them to?

As a child, if the cookie jar was just sitting on the table, did you resist taking one?  Exactly.   I'm sure that it's just too tempting to resist.  Not to mention that if they were playable in the final BWE, then the WvWvW would be swarming with them and so would Lion's Arch.   This would lead to inevitable spoilers and other tad bits that players may or may not want to hear about coming right out.

So, the question's remain:  Will  Arena.net have them in the final event?  Should they? Are you going to dip a finger in the honey pot if it's there?

ok - so 1st of all i was lazy and i haven't read anything anyone else wrote.. (sorry)

BUT - i voted other and i will explain:

I think it will contain spoilers, BUT they have to include them so they could find PRE LAUNCH all the problems/bugs in the starter zone of each of those races.....

sure - they have their own testing - but problems will be visible, and trust me - we all prefer them fixed PRIOR to the actual launch...

feel free to argument against me if you wish...

Just my 2 cents...

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I want to play my Asura!!!!!!!!!! Even if the two classes are avaulable for play in the test I will not be playing. Im going to be in Sydney Australia for two weeks. Gonna be awesome!

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Originally posted by dageeza

/

This for real..

I will be starting out with a human ranger but will be making alts of every race over time, really looking forward to the release of this game and 50+ days is soooo far away...

Better than Dec 31 tho...