Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's the PvE in this game?

SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I received an invite to the beta but it would've taken me literally over 50 hours to download.

Anyway, as someone who has utterly no interest whatsoever in PvP (which all the emails I got from TSW seemed to hype), I would like to know how the PvE is in this game?    In particular, how solo friendly is it?  (I hate forced grouping)

Comments

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

you 100% do not have to group up (aside from dungeons).  that being said it is an mmo and grouping is encouraged.  i personaly find the combat more enjoyable while in a group.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    Originally posted by Mexorilla

you 100% do not have to group up (aside from dungeons).  that being said it is an mmo and grouping is encouraged.  i personaly find the combat more enjoyable while in a group.

Does that mean the best loot can only be acquired in a group?   Like virtually EVERY single other MMO on the planet.    If so, that's enough to keep me away.    I've done that so many times, I hate the forced reliance on others, even in an MMO.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by SwampRob

I received an invite to the beta but it would've taken me literally over 50 hours to download.

Anyway, as someone who has utterly no interest whatsoever in PvP (which all the emails I got from TSW seemed to hype), I would like to know how the PvE is in this game?    In particular, how solo friendly is it?  (I hate forced grouping)

The Secret World is a PvE focused game, with PvP as a decent side feature. Similar to WoW's take on PvE/PvP but maybe The Secret World has a stronger focus on PvE.

Questing is 100% solo from what I've experienced, it can be tough to solo some though, depends on your spec. Grouping is fun though in The Secret World, I can see a lot of people grouping a lot :D (even though it's not really needed.)

Have to group for instances/PvP though, that's about it.

Overall, it's a great game, probably the most polished newly released MMO I've ever played :)

• robotchio30robotchio30 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Does that mean the best loot can only be acquired in a group?   Like virtually EVERY single other MMO on the planet.    If so, that's enough to keep me away.    I've done that so many times, I hate the forced reliance on others, even in an MMO.

well assuming the best loot is acquired in dungeons, then yes you will need a group to get the best loot

Shadow Of Apophis

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

that means that to do dungeons you need to be in a group.   loot can be acquired outside of dungeons.  if you don't like playing with others check out Single-Player games.  MMO's are meant to be played with others.

• Crunchy22Crunchy22 Member Posts: 51

Just dont expect a quest hub race to endgame type of PVE.

Expect to pay attention to the story, look for clues within the world, and expect a few quests that really leave you hanging out to dry with little to no hits as to what to do...other than a very general statement on the objective.  Some wont even mark the area your suppose to go to...or will mark the final objective area but leave you with nothing as far as how to get that final objective to "work"

If you like quest hub pve and tierd gear grind raids this wont be your cup of tea...however most people playing are in it for the pve.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I think the OP wants to play a single player RPG.

May i suggest, Skyrim, the witcher, kingdoms of Amaular..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

The loading screens say the best gear comes from dungeons.

Haven't grouped or done a dungeon yet, so don't know...

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Well, all themeparks nowadays are giant co-op games. You only truly require others in pvp and dungeons, and probably some other locations if you're too weak, but mostly, you can solo everything.

As far as gear, you can get any gear quality by crafting. Dungeons are always faster of course, but you don't need it. What i don't know is if, when you get to QL10, you'll need to run them to get purple. But, yeah, solo crafting is viable.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

that means that to do dungeons you need to be in a group.   loot can be acquired outside of dungeons.  if you don't like playing with others check out Single-Player games.  MMO's are meant to be played with others.

Dungeons do exist, and yes you do get better loot from them. Since there is no real linear progression other than armor, if I was an elder content player and choose to do the intro instance, I will still be rewarded exp to get new AP/SP's, but gear would be low for me.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Well, I can say that TSW is currently the best PvE game and most quests are really fun. Some need even brains to solve and searching on the web for hints (not spoilers but actual hints). Taking it slowly atm and still in the first area.  

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Too bad it appears to be a solo story-based game, because I'd think a game concept like Secret World could have been about factions and GM-events.

I would definitely say it is one of the strengths of the game. I would even say it's better than SWTOR in this regard.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

There is a quest where you have to deciper a radio message in morse code... I mean how amazing is that.  First you have to identify it is morse code, then you have to work out what it says.  Fortunately you can repeat the message and pause the message but it's still tough.

The Enlightened take things Lightly