Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an MMORPG that is fun for the sake of being fun

I'm not interested in achievements... at least, not the ones put in a pretty list set by the game developer.   

Achievements to me are reaching goals that I set for myself, not goals that others set for me.   I'm not interested in testing my ability to follow directions...

I'm not interested in being "the first to reach.... "  or "the most popular" or "highest ranked" blah blah blah...    these are things that don't even really belong in this genre as far as I'm concerned.  

I'm not interested in pushing through content to reach "the end" asap so I can repeat the "end" over and over for gear or high score or anything of that nature.

What games in this genre offer a good time and enjoyable gameplay that isn't designed to only reward me for pushing to be hardcore?    Games that don't punish me for CHOOSING to just run around adventuring, or looking for other players to help/join or make friends?   Roleplay?    Exploration?   Building?   Crafting that matters?

At his point in life, I just want to go back to using videogames as a fun and/or exciting way to waste a few hours... I don't need another job, I don't need more stress, and I damn sure don't need a videogame as a basis to prove my worth to people I don't even know.   

Comments

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Let me add that I do intend to find an MMORPG that has such an atmosphere, not single player games.  

SP games are indeed fun, but I just enjoy having a community to interract with and share stories and experiences with.  

I swear SKYRIM would be the best game in the world to me if only I could share some of it with other players in the world, but sadly, I start to feel very lonely and I exit the game and launch some MMORPG just to get that connection to other players again...   and then, sadly, I'm let down because the games I have installed tend to be filled with people who are way too competitve or just plain rude.

I want to have fun again, and there are plenty of fun games out there, but most of them seem to only be fun IF I'm willing to approach it like a job or a pro sport.

I'm not the best, and I'm tired of wasting good energy and time trying to shoot for that.   The fun has gone and I'm left with this feeling of "you either suck and don't deserve to have fun, or you're pro and you're reward is being able to show other people that."

Not acceptable.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

OK OP, but, what is fun to you? Combat, questing, dungeons, story, pvp, crafting, roleplaying, something.

Nobody can recomend anything to you if we don't know what you enjoy. I guess TSW and GW2 for the bigger mmos for now. But maybe smaller titles like LOTRO and Vanguard

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Your mileage may vary, since every game isn't for every person, but...

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

I just put NEStalgia in another thread. Really it is a nice little time killer for me. I just go out, do a dungeon or kill stuff for a while and log off. Got people to chat with if I want but I could also just go into a little cocoon and be fine. Can't just go in and walk over anything, have to be prepared each time or I will die and lose 1/2 my money. So it's a good balance of time wasting fun with out being a mindless grind.

The thread is a little bit further down from this thread so give it a try and let me know what you think. Also if you come into the game say Hi if you want any help getting started or the like.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

OK OP, but, what is fun to you? Combat, questing, dungeons, story, pvp, crafting, roleplaying, something.

Nobody can recomend anything to you if we don't know what you enjoy. I guess TSW and GW2 for the bigger mmos for now. But maybe smaller titles like LOTRO and Vanguard

I understand what you mean. 

Sorry for being so vague, but, I'm old school, so I don't feel the need to single out one or two aspects of an MMORPG and say everything else isn't fun.     By default, it's all supposed to be fun.     Combat, questing, dungeons, story, pvp, crafting, rp, character progression, CUSTOMIZATION, itemization.. etc... all supposed to be fun.

When any of it is forced, it loses it's fun for me.    So, are there games in the genre left (other than EVE) that don't punish me if I choose not to partake in something?    If i don't feel like raiding, I don't want to feel like my character is no longer useful.    If i choose to PVP, I don't want to feel like there's no point in crafting.     If i choose to just run around the world and just find other players to socialize with, I don't want to feel like I'm "wasting my time because I should be leveling/raiding/grinding" or something else that I may just not feel like doing.

Originally posted by gimmesome

When any of it is forced, it loses it's fun for me.    So, are there games in the genre left (other than EVE) that don't punish me if I choose not to partake in something?    If i don't feel like raiding, I don't want to feel like my character is no longer useful.    If i choose to PVP, I don't want to feel like there's no point in crafting.     If i choose to just run around the world and just find other players to socialize with, I don't want to feel like I'm "wasting my time because I should be leveling/raiding/grinding" or something else that I may just not feel like doing.

Since you can get max level gear through crafting, dungeons, pvp, gold or karma (A currency you get for participating in events), GW2 fits that part of your bill pretty well, at least.

Well.  Crafting does have some use (You can get max level gear and items that allow you to get the kind of builds you want), but of course a game without item decay or some other method of needing constantly crafted items will never have crafting be as useful as one with it.  Not sure how useful you want crafting to be.

Pretty much anything you do in the game is pushing you upwards in levels, so it's not like there's anything in particular you could be doing (Other than, I suppose, sitting around and chatting in the city) that would be considered punishing you progression wise.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

Three words:

Guild - Wars - Two

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Ehh, tbh... I don't buy it.    GW2 is not the end-all-be-all that the hype makes it out to be...    

Not to bash it, because it seems at least somewhat fun, but it sure doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.

I mean, there's almost no RP or opportunity for RP...  the game is about PVP scenerios, right?    No open world encounters... 

no housing... just, here's a character, now go here and level up until you're ready to fight other players for high scores/achievements.     

I doubt anyone in Gw2 will be ready and willing to simply socialize.   It seems the game is designed for the opposition.  

Level up quick and pound eachother's faces in.... with no gratification because there's no real loss or gain.   You die, you respawn and come back and try again.   You kill, they respawn and come back and try again until the game timer ends or until a certain amount of points has been reached or until a flag has been captured or.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... hasn't this all been done before????????

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Sorry for being so vague, but, I'm old school, so I don't feel the need to single out one or two aspects of an MMORPG and say everything else isn't fun.     By default, it's all supposed to be fun.     Combat, questing, dungeons, story, pvp, crafting, rp, character progression, CUSTOMIZATION, itemization.. etc... all supposed to be fun.

Most new MMORPG:S force you to play like the devs want you to play. They are linear on rails games. Play sandbox games if you want to have fun. Modern themeparks are terrible games.

I guess you could try games like mortal online and darkfall. Perhaps there will be new games for serious MMO players later.

But right now if you want freedom and a open virtual world most games are bad. Personally I think it will soon get better. So many themeparks have failed. Investors will soon focus on other ideas and subgenres. I think we will soon be able to play a AAA-sandbox. I am wating for that game.

I'm like you. I love all thing, but unfortunatly, it's still vague to give you a clear answer. I see you like EVE, so you may enjoy sandboxes more, and crafting as well.

So, i'll stick with TSW and GW2. l also recomend Ryzom (since it's a sandbox) and Vanguard and Fallen Earth haveing great crafting. Hope that helps. If you can give further details, it would even be more healpfull.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´ll put it simple... GW2 is the game you are looking for.

Release is 28th of August  ;)

Ehh, tbh... I don't buy it.    GW2 is not the end-all-be-all that the hype makes it out to be...    

Not to bash it, because it seems at least somewhat fun, but it sure doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.

I mean, there's almost no RP or opportunity for RP...  the game is about PVP scenerios, right?    No open world encounters... 

no housing... just, here's a character, now go here and level up until you're ready to fight other players for high scores/achievements.     

I doubt anyone in Gw2 will be ready and willing to simply socialize.   It seems the game is designed for the opposition.  

Level up quick and pound eachother's faces in.... with no gratification because there's no real loss or gain.   You die, you respawn and come back and try again.   You kill, they respawn and come back and try again until the game timer ends or until a certain amount of points has been reached or until a flag has been captured or.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... hasn't this all been done before????????

Uhmmmmmm.... nobody said it was the end-all-be-all, but you did ask for a game that was fun for the sake of fun, and they JUST wrote a blog about that.

Also, you're confusing GW2 with GW1.  The game is in fact, open world this time around.  In fact, it's one of the more social games I've played.  There's also plenty of opportunities to RP.  I RPed for 2 hours during the first open beta weekend, standing around in the city and chatting with other people about the world and the problems with the various situations (My biggest complaint?  The constant centaur invasions interfering with the timely delivery of pastry products).

There's a lot of really beautiful areas to hang around in the game, and a lot of lore to RP with.  There's town clothes you can wear just for non-combat, and even mini-games like snowball fights and a shooting gallery.  It's not JUSt running around killing things all day long, especially if you join the unofficial RP server where of course people will be vastly more prone towards roleplaying. 

They don't have housing yet, but you do get a home instance, and they said they're planning on putting in houses along with the guild halls.

The game isn't designed around opposition... in fact there's opposition in two ways.  Structured PvP and WvW PvP.  Both are seperate from the usual PvE world.  In fact, in PvE world, there's no ninjaing people's nodes or kill stealing... experience and loot is given in full to whoever participates.  So people are often working together, and a lot of rezzing other people and helping them out.

Some people have complained that because it's SO easy to work alongside people that you're not actually having to work at it so it has no meaning, but I've found that simply saying 'thank you' and occasionally talking to other people works just fine, got in a few conversations, which is pretty miraculous considering how many people (Including myself) were mostly rushing around trying to fit as much as possible into a beta weekend.

GW2 definitely awards exploration, there's lots of hidden areas and places to find, and you can reach level 80 and get fully outfitted in gear without ever doing even a minute of PvP and fighting other players.

Not only that, at level 80, there's a lot of things you can do.  There's 8 dungeons (3 of which start at level 80), each with 4 alternate paths with different monsters/areas.  There's 2 zones specifically designed for level 80 characters.  With the automatic scaling, if you go to a lower level area you can STILL get xp and loot appropriate to your real level (Though at a slower rate the higher the level disparity is), which means what in a normal game would be pointless goofing off (Exploring parts of earlier areas you missed) actually is rewarded and serves as content.  This also means you're not punished for playing with lower level friends.

Not only that, you could even go to the PvP area WvW and do various PvE style activities like getting skill points, doing missions for NPCs, even running an open world dungeon.  Even the PvP area isn't purely about killing other players unless you want it to be.

I'm perfectly willing to grant that GW2 wont' be for everybody, but your particular complaints seem partially based in misinformation?

@Meowhead:

Thanks for clearing that up :)   I appreciate the time you spend to help me understand, considering how I swiftly shot down GW2 based on hype alone. 

I didn 't play in beta because I don't want to spend money on games anymore AT ALL until I first experience it and know it's worth it.   (thus, I don't even touch consoles or console games anymore)

Much appreciated :)

@Meowhead:

Thanks for clearing that up :)   I appreciate the time you spend to help me understand, considering how I swiftly shot down GW2 based on hype alone. 

I didn 't play in beta because I don't want to spend money on games anymore AT ALL until I first experience it and know it's worth it.   (thus, I don't even touch consoles or console games anymore)

Much appreciated :)

Not a problem.  I understand what it's like to have a misunderstanding.  See if you can try it out at a friend's house or something!  Or maybe get a beta key for the upcoming beta weekend.

The reason why I responded to your topic is that the reasons you listed in the OP are the reasons I got excited for GW2 in the first place.

I'm a pretty slow player compared to all my friends, and I like the idea of a game where I can still play with them EVEN if I'm slower.  A game where I can have fun even if I'm not racing to the 'real game' at the end.  A game that rewards me for being easily distracted and exploring random places. :)

I also hate how quests mean that everybody you run across in the open world is technically competition.... is that person going to kill the boss so you have to wait another 15 minutes?  Are they going to ninja your node if you fight the monster guarding it?  Will they be killing the rare spawns and getting the loot so you can't get your 15 boar livers, or whatever?

I like PvP, but more a proper fight where you're TRYING to fight each other, not that weird passive-aggressive thing where theoretical allies are spending half their time annoying you with their actions. :)

Hell, even just the idea of rolling for items and discovering somebody rolled and won on an item they dont' even need, just so they can auction it off.

Like you, I want to play a game for fun, and be able to do whatever and just enjoy myself.  My answer is GW2.  Yours might end up being something else, but I thought I'd at least tell you what the answer I found was. :)

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Try Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

I guess the OP likes a good community, housing and crafting. Everquest 2. Well, for themepark.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

OP:  Have you played Fallen Earth?

Personally, I find the game a bit on the slow side starting out.  If you can get past the complexity of the character build system, it seems like it could be a good all-encompassing game that doesn't try too hard to be like any other MMO.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

In my opinion wait one more day and you can get Darkfall with no client cost, just $10/month sub.

So between now and August 28th you can spend $20 and play the most immersive game on the market and one that matches your parameters. Yes the first hour will be difficult as you get you head around the controls, but they are similar to Skyrim's and you sound intelligent enough to pick them up quickly.

Also, as of tomorrow skill gains increase by 20X so the grind is gone, its now all about finding a guild and helping to keep/take territory.

This game is the closest thing you will find to multiplayer Skyrim imo.

And yes I started again last week, and was happy to fork out the $30 for the client (again).

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I think eve is the only one that really fits the bill still.

Pity I could never get into it.

Other than that you could try mucking about with some of the free ones until something comes along.

Ryzom, neocron 2, planeshift and anarchy online could all be worth a try(in the unlikely event that you haven't played them).  At a push ddo can waste a few hours.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by Karahandras

I think eve is the only one that really fits the bill still.

There are more then a hundred MMOs that fit the bill