Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com and it's coverage choices

2»

Comments

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele
    Originally posted by MikeB

The news tab shows both news items and features and is ordered chronologically from by time of posting. There is no conspiracy here.

We announced the GW2 release date (literally as it was announced to the public) and we've produced more Guild Wars 2 articles than probably any other site out there when it comes to major event coverage. Why has there been an influx of TSW articles of late? The game is launching next week and we've had a number of exclusive opportunities such as the dungeon reveals and skill deck previews in addition to the expected increase in coverage around a major MMO release.

Also, I'm decidedly in the potato camp. Potatoes are delicious!

Thank you for the response! I'm glad that my question/concern wasn't treated as a rant or accusation, and I really appreciate the thread not just being locked or me being banned for asking. Seriously, kudos there.

In any sort of journalism, it's going to raise eyebrows when the reporter is reporting on the sponsor.

As I said in my previous post, I definitely understand that more coverage for a game that is releasing soon is warranted. No doubts there! At the same time, any large amount of previous GW2 press was conducted before this arrangement with the advertising in TSW. It's definitely possible and even fairly likely that this arrangement was an old one, but it's a reason why "there has been lots of GW2 coverage in the past" isn't really an acceptable to me. My concern isn't that GW2 isn't getting enough coverage, but that TSW-related content is higher-priority. 

As pointed out in my edited OP, there's several front page news scroller articles (5 out of 8) that are TSW related. This isn't really bad except that they're all rather minor articles, and staying at the top for several days longer than any other news. As in my example, an article about some random build in TSW is still up since being published on 6/26, but a major news article that was published yesterday is already off the news ticker? 

I don't think there's some grand conspiracy, but it's not at all uncommon in major news publications for there to be bias in how sponsors are covered. I'd know, I've been an editor, and stuff like that can happen easily without anyone intending it. And really, it's harmless until it becomes a trend, so it's more a matter of curiosity for myself than anything, for now.

It's just worth pointing out and questioning, that's all. :)

Edit: Potatoes? Only if you boil 'em, mash 'em, or stick 'em in a stew.

I'm only seeing four articles on the slider that are TSW related (if it's really the slider you're referring to, NEWS doesn't go there, only features do), by the way. I'm just not sure what you want me to tell you. Three of the four slider TSW articles are there because they are exclusives (which by their very nature take higher priority than anything else as far as slider placement, obviously) and one of them is a TSW column written by our Associate Editor and TSW columnist on the week early access begins. So in three of four cases there are exclusives on the slider and in the fourth case there is a topical editorial.

Why aren't there a huge amount of Guild Wars 2 articles on the site right now? Outside of the release date, things are fairly quiet on the GW2 front. We pumped out tons of articles for each of the first couple of beta weekend events and we both stream and cover each BWE to detail any changes we can find. If we happen to have a bunch of exclusive opportunities for GW2, you can bet you'll see them rocking the slider as well!

Our site exists due to advertisement revenue, sure, but our advertisement deals are handled by our President and CEO Craig McGregor who has placed a 10ft wall between himself and anything editorial related. The rest of our team (myself included) are completely oblivious to our ad campaigns. I have no idea when a site skin for X game is going to pop-up until I see it at the same time you guys do. The same goes for any other advertisement and this extends through to the editorial team as well. This decision was made precisely to avoid these sorts of doubts. We take our role in what we do very seriously and the same goes for the trust we've earned from our readership. Of course, you don't have to believe what I'm saying, that's up to you. 

TL;DR: It's a coincidence, not 'sponsor bias' nor any sort of conspiracy.

Thank you for the considered response!

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Guild Wars 2 got PLENTY of coverage after the first BWE. It's just that since then Anet hasn't released much new or exclusive information outside of the launch date. It's hard to write articles about something everyone has already written about. When I do see the odd GW2 post I find it usually delves into the feelings or reflections on the game. 

TSW is just getting released soon! Now much SWOTOR news lately is there?

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

They've had a ton of coverage about GW2. A game that just revealed its launch date that is still a couple months out. They have a guy that has written so much about it that all he has left to say at this point is "Boy oh boy, can't wait for the next beta!" for fuck's sake.

So no...I don't agree with this topic that is being recycled again for the hundredth time.

They'll do the same shit when GW2 is about to release. Just like they have for every other game. Nothing new or different going on here.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.