Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE devs talk about TESO

Maybe already posted, but here you go:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/25/eve-online-devs-on-dayz-elder-scrolls-online-and-whatd-make-them-quit-the-games-industry/

My favourite quote of the week:

No, and if I ever said that, Jon should fire me. No, really.

Couldn't agree more.

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by busdriver

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/25/eve-online-devs-on-dayz-elder-scrolls-online-and-whatd-make-them-quit-the-games-industry/

Couldn't agree more.

whilst i dont work in the mmo industry, i can think of plenty of things i would of liked to of seen in a TES mmo that would of been either unique or pretty damn rare for the genre.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Couldn't agree more.

iam going to come off and say this. this guy has no clue  what he is talking about, and is only hyping. yeah most posters on this site cant see pass hype like this.but i can

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

TESO: "Expect Nothing"

Are we seeing the first use of reverse psychology being applied to marketing?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by deathshroud

Couldn't agree more.

whilst i dont work in the mmo industry, i can think of plenty of things i would of liked to of seen in a TES mmo that would of been either unique or pretty damn rare for the genre.

Agreed and he was even dumber and talked about the entire genre,  there are limitless possibilities there.

For one thing I would love a game with PvP that have a "Natural selection" styled commander that could command massive battles, pretty sure no MMO ever had that before. Anyone who played NS knows how awesome that would be. :)

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by deathshroud

Couldn't agree more.

Agreed and he was even dumber and talked about the entire genre,  there are limitless possibilities there.

For one thing I would love a game with PvP that have a "Natural selection" styled commander that could command massive battles, pretty sure no MMO ever had that before. Anyone who played NS knows how awesome that would be. :)

You're right.  No one has done that in an MMO before, nice one.  It was pretty fun in BF2 and 2142 I remember (I kinda miss it in BF3) but those weren't as robust as the commanders in Natural Selection or Savage and Savage 2.

I could see it contextually playing out in a fantasy game with the commander using some kind of divining stone or divining pool to be given a spirit view of the battle-field through which they can give orders and command troops, etc.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I respect the EVE devs, but I just had to make sure they didn't slip up and say something crazy about DayZ which they didn't. The even showed a small acknowledgment to Planetside.

TESO, I don't know.. I'm still not sold about anything on this game..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

iam going to come off and say this. this guy has no clue  what he is talking about, and is only hyping. yeah most posters on this site cant see pass hype like this.but i can

Who has no clue what he's talking about?

Matt Firor or the CCP devs in the article?

~If you meant the latter, I'd say *you*, as per usual, have no clue what you are talking about.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I totally agree with CCP, and you can see in EvE they mean what they say, with EvE being probably the most original MMO out there (It launched in 2003 so they pionereed some of the features that are now MMO standard)

I wished they made TESO instead of Zenimax.

I am a huge TES fan, playing the IP since Arena in 1994, but I have to say I am deeply disappointed by the lack of vision of Zenimax and Firor.

What they had to do is just adding the MMO support to Skyrim or Morrowind, that would have made an original MMO, instead they are turning TES into another dull generic MMO noone wants to play anymore.

Nowadays MMO needs a soul a personality (See SWtor and the lack of), and TESO needs the TES soul, we don't need a MMO with the WoW body and a TES dress.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

“Here’s a Rubik’s cube, go f%$^ yourself,” -Kristoffer Touborg

One of the best descriptions of sandbox gameplay I've ever read.

I also think Matt Firor should be highly embarassed for saying that.  Im still keeping tabs on TESO but wow, how do you say that as a Game Director for an MMO.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

“Here’s a Rubik’s cube, go f%$^ yourself,” -Kristoffer Touborg

One of the best descriptions of sandbox gameplay I've ever read.

I also think Matt Firor should be highly embarassed for saying that.  Im still keeping tabs on TESO but wow, how do you say that as a Game Director for an MMO.

a rubik's cube is about as close to a sandbox as my grandmother is to a stripper.

a rubik's cube is a LINERAL game with only a few extact ways to finish. it is everything a sandbox IS NOT.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• paidgtfopaidgtfo Member Posts: 16

That article made me smile, which is a rarity for a mmo article.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by ste2000
    I am a huge TES fan, playing the IP since Arena in 1994, but I have to say I am deeply disappointed by the lack of vision of Zenimax and Firor.

Really? I thought you were somewhat hyped for TESO (looks at signature).

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

My favourite quote of the week: No, and if I ever said that, Jon should fire me. No, really.Couldn't agree more.

What an irony it comes from mouth of CCP Soundwave, one of the most uncreative devs CCP has and as a lead game designer he did not push the game one bit further.

All he has is a big mouth only...

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by ste2000

Really? I thought you were somewhat hyped for TESO (looks at signature).

having a hard time resolving the two things? It makes total sense to me, I guess I am just smarter than I thought

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me