Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SMITE: Guan Yu Enters the Fray

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Hi-Rez Studios has announced that a new god has entered the fight in SMITE. Guan Yu has officially been released into the game and the team has a nice video to show off some of his special skills. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I've been playing as Guan Yu. They seem to have made him a bit overpowered and I'm sure next patch he will get a nerf, but currently he is very fun.

• KrellenKrellen Member Posts: 84

His kit makes hima very interesting addition.

• HaxdelesriotHaxdelesriot Member Posts: 12

Guan Yu is very fun to play and I'm going to keep playing him even after he gets nerfed for sure but with the way he is right now... he smites everyone else down as if they were filthy peasants then plays his bongos on their graves.

He is as over powered as Hel was when she got reworked. He has a low CD aoe heal and 3 mid-high damage abilities with low CDs and is already tanky by default. His mana costs are also very low for how powerful his abilities are. In short, he will Gaun all over your face.

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259

He carried his team 1vs5, sad but true story

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

the Hi Rez way of doing things .... sell overpowered thing, people buy overpowered thing, then nerf the overpowered thing back into balance.

• urthal22urthal22 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Yea he's a bit too strong at the moment

aw well , wait and see i guess

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Ecoces

the Hi Rez way of doing things .... sell overpowered thing, people buy overpowered thing, then nerf the overpowered thing back into balance.

That's kind of how most MOBA's do it too. How many times have people cried foul because a hero in HoN or LoL was OP when it came out. It's a business tactic, you sell something awesome for a normal price, tons of people buy it because it was awesome, then they nerf it and discount and everyone else buys it.

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

This remind me of dynasty warriors.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I just always wonder how many people know that Guan Yu was a real historical figure? 

Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Liu Bei, Cao Cao, Lu Bu, Dong Zhuo and the rest of that very long list of figures from that time period in China.  Still Guan Yu is one of my favorites and is rightly popular.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

OP to the max. Relentless is the right word I think.

I understand they do it to get more money, but this is ridiculous. Skills cost little mana, low recharges that get lowered even more with smart play, amazing kiting abilities, healing abilities, etc.

And their excuse is "We suck at playing our game :)"..... Really Hi-Rez??

Eat me!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I thought this was a battle of Deities? Not that I mind. Get some Diao Chan up in there and I will love them FOREVER. But still, I'm confused with what this means for the game's theme and where they intend to go from here. It's not like China is lacking in deities to pick from.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• raskull789raskull789 Member Posts: 22

You just repeated exactly what he just said as if it was your own thought.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I thought this was a battle of Deities? Not that I mind. Get some Diao Chan up in there and I will love them FOREVER. But still, I'm confused with what this means for the game's theme and where they intend to go from here. It's not like China is lacking in deities to pick from.

I believe Guan Yu was considered a god amongst men in terms of his strength on the battlefield. So that is probably why he is in there. 

• INFWarpathINFWarpath Member UncommonPosts: 3

I'm currently in Taiwan, and going into the many temples here, you will see a statue of Guan Yu next to the other many deities. He is specifically the God that men will pray to if they have dangerous jobs, such as policemen, soldiers, etc. 

Prayer to him is also favored by Gangsters too. They pray for his strength, power and courage. 

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

Just ridiculous! 

No Balance at all. His mobility, wide range and powerful attacks are just too much.

Poor Ao Kuang wouldnt be able to hit him once!

Come on Hi-Rez Studios, this is Closed Beta but still get some starting balancing done.

• GelthidorGelthidor Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

I believe Guan Yu was considered a god amongst men in terms of his strength on the battlefield. So that is probably why he is in there. 

He was also deified after death haha

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141

I have been playin Smite for a good bit now. The enemy team has a Guan Yu each and every match, typical noobrush for the new toon. During these matches I have seen varying degrees of  styles with Guan Yu.

A couple things I have noticed about him:

1.    I have seen him walk out of a 5v1 seemingly unharmed at all

2.    He does not appear to need to aim anything, just click and be near you he will hit you.

3.    His attacks seemed to have a very long range, it is all but impossible to escape him, I have tried ziggging, zagging, figure eights, blinking, loop d loos, upside downs, inside outs...........he will always hit you and be right there full health.

While i am thinking of it, I played as Bastet against a few Guan Yu's. I tried this very specifically for Guan Yu with Bastet, blink forward from the jungle, run like hell for 3 seconds with Guan Yu hitting me every step, blink back to the spot i blinked forward from in the jungle. Guan Yu was right there. still hitting me. Now I had covered a good distance before blinking back, how was this turd right there as i popped back to the jungle, shrouded from sight? Something is definitely not right with him. Goddamn ninja samurai.................

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

i have already said to my guild i refuse to play this game until this character is balanced and I have been loving Smite. this character is just ridiculous ...

a good heal

hella damage

short cooldowns

low mana usage

great chaser

great escapes

amazing movement and damage on his ultimate

and is very tanky.

just insane i could have told you this guy was unbalanced after the first time i played a practice match against the bot .... then i played against him in a couple real games. after playing a few games where teh Guan Yu was just destroying i threw up my hands and went back to LoL and i haven't played that in like a week since i got a beta key to smite.

• SeptdeezSeptdeez Member UncommonPosts: 21

I do believe he is currently op and expect the nerf bat, however I will say that he is not very mana efficient. Late game he has enough mana to sustain him but unless you grab the mana buff early/mid game you will go OOM really fast.

• Sys7emSys7em Member UncommonPosts: 120

the only way to counter a Guan is to 5 v 1 him & have everyone land their ultimate abilities.

• Iced0verIced0ver Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Fuggly

I have been playin Smite for a good bit now. The enemy team has a Guan Yu each and every match, typical noobrush for the new toon. During these matches I have seen varying degrees of  styles with Guan Yu.

A couple things I have noticed about him:

1.    I have seen him walk out of a 5v1 seemingly unharmed at all

2.    He does not appear to need to aim anything, just click and be near you he will hit you.

3.    His attacks seemed to have a very long range, it is all but impossible to escape him, I have tried ziggging, zagging, figure eights, blinking, loop d loos, upside downs, inside outs...........he will always hit you and be right there full health.

While i am thinking of it, I played as Bastet against a few Guan Yu's. I tried this very specifically for Guan Yu with Bastet, blink forward from the jungle, run like hell for 3 seconds with Guan Yu hitting me every step, blink back to the spot i blinked forward from in the jungle. Guan Yu was right there. still hitting me. Now I had covered a good distance before blinking back, how was this turd right there as i popped back to the jungle, shrouded from sight? Something is definitely not right with him. Goddamn ninja samurai.................

This is totally untrue.

1. Unless it was a Guan that was many levels ahead. 5v1 would beat any good, healing abilties or not.

2. You have to aim. Especially with his Ult, because he jumps around, and it is a V shaped ability. You have to move your toon in the right position each jump, and there's three. It's not totally impossible to miss some of it. Lastly, his ability to jump forward has to be aligned correctly or it will miss as will any character that has a similar ability.

3. His attacks are SHORT. The blue guide you see when  you launch abilities is the shortest of any god I have played. Both his mid abilities only extend about his height in front of him. I will say that you can get some distance with the ult, since like I said you can jump forwards with it. It's a perfect finisher.

I like him, and yes he's a little overpowered, but I think the best way to counter a Guan is to keep yourself at a distance. lol

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

GUAN YU  IS THE MOST  EPIC OP HERO/GOD/WHATEVER IN THE HISTORY OF MOBAS.

IF THIS IS HIGH RES' TACTICS THEN I AM AFRAID THIS GAME WILL FAIL.

This God is actually so OP i know people lauch their asses of their chair when they see how they die...

I also stopped playing SMITE eventhough i loved it because of this GOD....

Last drop was me playing YMIR vs a GUAN .

Threw him 3 Glacial Strikes, 1 WHOLE ULTI up his ass, 15 skill hits and a whole bunch of creeps on his ass and his health stayed at HALF . And the most funny part..he didnt even heal!!!!