Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flavor of the Month Toons?

TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205

Just wondering. since you can pvp at lvl 1 and be bumped up to lvl 80, and theres no gear or skill upgrades do you see this making the life of a FOTM roller much easyer?  Or am i missing something and theres a reason to lvl up for pvp?

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Skill Points.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

As long as a MMO gives you some freedom to make your char unique (talent trees etc) there will always be a FotM chars. You cant get away from them.  in sPvP your levels dont matter, in WvW levels matter.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

You can only use a low number of skills at the same time but to get your prefered skills you have to unlock them first by leveling.

Harbinger of Fools
  • hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Originally posted by Talketzanto
    Just wondering. since you can pvp at lvl 1 and be bumped up to lvl 80, and theres no gear or skill upgrades do you see this making the life of a FOTM roller much easyer?  Or am i missing something and theres a reason to lvl up for pvp?

Since I haven't PvPed more than a few minutes and didn't actually look at a few screens, I can't say exactly how this works, but Devs have said a bumped up level 80 won't be as powerful as a real level 80. I can only assume the points you get and spend in leveling after level 10 will be missing and those add up to quite a few enhancements and improvements. Enough so that between two equally skilled players, the real level 80 will dominate. A real level 80's gear will also likely be better if for no other reason than it should be rune socketed.

I'm sure someone who spent more time in PvP can give you a better answer than mine though.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

I can come up with 3 reasons...

1) Traits... Level 80's will have all these and can increase dps by about 40%

2) Skills... Elites to basics, level 80's have MUCH more variety.

3)Gear... It's said there is no gear grind, which in turn there isn't in the form we've come used too, but the level 80 gear should be miles better than level 1-20 gear, thus further improving survivability/dps. 

That's all for PvE/WvW, SPvP you can have a level 1 and be all fine.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Xzen

Skill Points.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

As long as a MMO gives you some freedom to make your char unique (talent trees etc) there will always be a FotM chars. You cant get away from them.  in sPvP your levels dont matter, in WvW levels matter.

Originally posted by Dakeru

You can only use a low number of skills at the same time but to get your prefered skills you have to unlock them first by leveling.

/thread

(Too bad it wont end)

EDIT: Actually I like the answers, I think they'll help in my opinion.Keep it flowing guys

I'll contribute as well.

Skill points, gear matters in wvwvw but due to combat system and hit detection it's possible with irl skills you can take out an higher lever enemie 1 on 1.

Umm there is much more I think, answers should be coming like the above.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Using "PvP" simply isn't specific enough of a description for this game and it's PvP mechanics. Depending on what you are doing, PvP is different.

Structured PvP - These are your instanced, PvP battleground/warfront/scenario maps. It is usually 5-10 vs 5-10 others. There are hundreds of rooms to join and create matches. In this area, you are leveled to 80 and all equipment, skills and trait points are given to you for free. You can then specialize your character however you like by changing out runes on gear, adjusting trait points and picking the set of skills and weapons you want to use. Everyone is on equal footing here, whether you are level 1 or level 80. You gain glory here, and no experience. Glory is used to buy new armor looks and stuff from the PvP vendors, I am not sure if it goes beyond this later or anything.

Everything is 100% even in SPvP. Some skills are removed due to their imbalanced nature in smaller group play. Racial elite skills are not available for use, becasue not every race can use them. So if you see another person of your class ... besides the looks, it is 100% based on your skill and your build vs. theirs.

World vs. World PvP - This is a massive 3 faction "instanced" zone (it is unique to your server pairing with 2 other servers ... every group of 3 servers has their own instance of the zone). This is pretty much a persistent world PvP battleground, with keep seiges, supply camps, towers, seige equipment, etc. While not for the competitive player, it most definitely is epic and very fun. Here, your character comes in with whatever gear and skills they have ... you are then boosted to level 80. So your character's gear will matter.

Some odd things I have noticed in WvW. When you go in for a long period, and you are leveling up, you are usually not getting much gear in terms of upgrades ... so your character is actually getting weaker over time. A level 80 character would have an advantage here (or any higher level character) because they would have max gear (which they can't out level) as well as all skill slots unlocked and even all the skills to choose from.

You gain experiece, money and karma points in WvWvW, and you also get buffs for your server to promote server pride and working together. The buffs come in terms of crafting critical bonuses, experience bonuses, gold bonuses from mobs, etc. So this is very much a progressive system, where you character and gear matters.

You also get badges from killing players, which you can turn in for gear at the appropriate vendors. I believe this gear is tiered, but have not purchased any myself yet.

Hopefully that explains the PvP parts of the game more for everyone. As far as FOTM, sure, SPvP it will be much easier to do that, as you just make a character and can play at 80 immediately. Luckily, ArenaNet is pretty good on balancing things (look at GW1), and if there are any large issues I expect them to be taken care of pretty quickly.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

If you're talking about SPvP, yeah, it's going to happen inevitably. I've not yet seen a game that hasn't had a class or a build that was more powerful than others - however the extent of "OP" does matter. If Anet gets their balancing right, there probably will be a few FOTM builds (there always are), but I would imagine most of them can be countered somehow. That is to say, you can't faceroll people with build only, you do need some skill to go with it.

Anet implemented Fluxes in GW1 to mix up the PvP scene, essentially to destabilize FOTM builds. Flux is an environmental effect (global effect) that affects PvP areas, and can range from something like "Heals targeted at other players are 20% less effective, self-heals 30% more effective" to "Every time a player dies, a masterless bone horror is summoned". It changes every month, and the new fluxes aren't announced in advance. On paper it sounds good, though I've not PvP'd in GW1 for a long time now, so if someone else could confirm if it's had any impact...? :)

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

There is ALWAYS going to be flavor of the month style builds.

The thing that makes sPvP so good is that anybody can take a level 1 character and be level 80 and on complete equal grounds with anybody else so far as trait selection, skill selection and even equipment selection goes.

Normally flavor of the month builds are particularly broken in MMORPGs because it takes so long to level and gear up that you can be screwed over by being an inferior class or having the wrong gear, or whatever.

In GW2 Structured PvP, everybody can be a FotM build... which means they're going to be that more obvious (Nerfed more quickly), and also it'll be a lot easier to experiment to deal with them.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

If you are referring to sPvP, I believe it will be the opposite. The most common builds will get countered easily. Regardless, teamwork will trump any build, and thats what sPvP is based on.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

They'll exist. They always exist. Hell, even in games with less focus on stats and numbers than GW2 and other mmos, there's always those who theorycraft to hell and find the best combinations off, well, anything for different maps, game modes, anything. But i don't believe it will be that big of a deal.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I never really thought about that in relation to the fact everyone has "maxed out " Toons of every class in sPvP- you are only limited by # of character slots.