Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With Bioware's repeated fails...will you buy from them at release?

Comments

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

Have you seen the "new" ME3 endings? I liked the "F* u end" but the rest was just copy/paste image of each other with a diferent dialogue and they still left the dialogue with the kid and the old man in the end...even if it didnt made any sense anymore.

BIoware lost it's track and it needs to get it soon or they will lose the support of their fans. I won't bash them because of 2 games because I loved almost every other game they realised but they need to make something good soon.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Nevarion
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire
    Originally posted by Isasis
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Mass Effect 3...Dragon Age 2...and now SWTOR.

All have been heavily critizied. However, their older games...Mass Effect 1 and 2...Dragon Age 1...even before that...have been critically acclaimed. After they got bought by EA, it seems their games are no longer the quality they once were.

And SWTOR is already talking about turning free and losing a good portion of their servers. It did much horribly than anticipated.

Will you still buy Bioware games at release? Do you still enjoy Bioware's new games? Or are you disatisfied with their latest games they have made?

You probably need to take Mass Effect 3 off that list.  With the exception of the ending, it was a pretty good game.  Many many people have very high praises for ME3.

The metacritic user score says different

Metacritic user scores have no credibilty anymore.  People often vote games down because they either don't like the developer/publisher.  See Modern Warfare/Battlefield ratings.  Not to mention every other high profile game that has been released.  User ratings are meaningless.

That's a contradiction. They might not have any meaning or impact for you but meaningless? Nope.

It was not intended as a blanket statement.  However, when people vote down a game solely because of the company that is developing or publishing it, it tells you nothing about the quality of the game.  That is when user ratings are meaningless.  Rate the game, not the company. 

To be fair, there are quite a few game ratings on Metacritic that aren't tainted by popularity contests.  But games with big hype and companies with a poor reputation in the gaming community are often dealt bad hand.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I'm not going to be buying anything from them at release, especially if they stay with EA. I think that's the main problem, EA keep pushing for faster release dates and shipping unfinished or unpolished products, which really is just stupid. Like SW:TOR should have shipped with Legacy and Group Finder already in place, but no doubt was forced into an early release so it could grab the Christmas sales. They might have made some cash from that, but the unfinished product has driven a lot of people away.

The same deal with ME3, it's so obvious when you look at the original ending and compare it to the EC ending that the original was just rushed out the door. I've no doubt the rumors about two people writing that ending are true, it's probably the only way they could get it out in time to keep EA happy, avoiding having to push it through the rest of the team and decide over story or plot holes.

What I'm hoping is that the storm over the ME3 ending makes EA think twice next time they consider an early release date. Bioware can't take another bad release, it'll harm their name and EA's - if it's possible to make EA even worse than they already are.

• NevarionNevarion Member Posts: 274

All have been heavily critizied. However, their older games...Mass Effect 1 and 2...Dragon Age 1...even before that...have been critically acclaimed. After they got bought by EA, it seems their games are no longer the quality they once were.

And SWTOR is already talking about turning free and losing a good portion of their servers. It did much horribly than anticipated.

Will you still buy Bioware games at release? Do you still enjoy Bioware's new games? Or are you disatisfied with their latest games they have made?

You probably need to take Mass Effect 3 off that list.  With the exception of the ending, it was a pretty good game.  Many many people have very high praises for ME3.

Metacritic user scores have no credibilty anymore.  People often vote games down because they either don't like the developer/publisher.  See Modern Warfare/Battlefield ratings.  Not to mention every other high profile game that has been released.  User ratings are meaningless.

That's a contradiction. They might not have any meaning or impact for you but meaningless? Nope.

It was not intended as a blanket statement.  However, when people vote down a game solely because of the company that is developing or publishing it, it tells you nothing about the quality of the game.  That is when user ratings are meaningless.  Rate the game, not the company. 

To be fair, there are quite a few game ratings on Metacritic that aren't tainted by popularity contests.  But games with big hype and companies with a poor reputation in the gaming community are often dealt bad hand.

I do agree.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

Ive bought and played....

KOTOR

KOTOR 2

DA

DA2

MA

MA2

SWTOR

SWTOR lasted me around two months. It was fun for awhile and then I just flat ran out of fun stuff to do.

DA2 was "mostly" fun, but I was annoyed with the lack of companion customization and the constant reuse of areas.

MA3 I have been scared to even buy. People hated the ending so much that they are releasing an extended ending DLC.

At this point I'm getting to where I lack interest in their games all together. They will have to prove themselves before I spend money on them again. No more preordering.

Ironically with the exception of the ending ME3 is one of their really good games.  There is also free missions you can download.  IMO I think Mass Effect 3 is a pretty solid game.  Using metacritic as a source for rating games is like using McDonalds as a source for nutritious food.

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84

mass effect 3 was perfectly fine especialy with the extended cut,just because the last 5min didnt do it doesnt mean the WHOLE game sucked.

ppl complained about the ending not about the overall quality of thegame wich was fantastic.

DA2 agree

swtor agree

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

ME3 wasnt a fail, it's an amazing game with a huge community and a successful multiplayer. ME series is all ive ever bought from BW. DA2 and TOR were epic fails on the other hand..not sure what teams were working on those.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

Oh I would buy on release if it were a game I was interested in.

And for me personally (remember this is what we like to call an opinion.) I don't think they have had repeat fails.

I liked ME3, DA2 was fun. I did not play Star Wars because I'm not a Star Wars fan.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• Atom31Atom31 Member Posts: 3

More like Not

Bought DA, ME, ME2, ME3. Luckaly didn't bought DA2. Couldn't get in 3rd ME played for an hour or two. Level dessign and combat felt so bland. I hope to somehow finish it some day, at least for the story and I hope that last DLC improves the ending, which I hear is really weak.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Depends on the franchise. I will buy another KOTOR (maybe it'll happen..), I'll buy another ME game. Screw it, give me another jade dynasty. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I have most of Bioware released games, except ME3 and SWToR.

I sort of waiting with ME3 since I still have allot of other games I want to play and-or finish.

For SWToR I might eventually get it, but I might try the game with a different mindset and might go into it not MMORPG style but just going with it as a KOTOR 3 game with online options. Somehow I feel going in with this mindset might grand me a better experiance then expecting a true MMORPG experiance. But still it´s on my list to play but not in a hurry to get it.

I must say I am pretty curieus to what Bioware will do with the Command & Conquer series, since they are going to be be developing the nex chapter. http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/10/bioware-announces-command-and-conquer-generals-2/

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I think maybe they are too big now & so their quality control has gone down hill. The handfull of people who made older Bioware games great are now too stretched I think.

After SWTOR my confidence is really shaken, I doubt I will buy any release titles from them any time soon.

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

I comepletely done with Bioware my last game was DA: Origin after a while it grow on me was not realy bad game.

But now im fed up with Bioware. But i was always greater fan of Bethesda anyway and so far they have not let me down with latests great installment the AWESOME SKYRIM kudo's to them for bring me a game in 2011 thats so immersive and beautiful even when its in DX9(im pure PC player so hoped for DX11 but i forgive them for great skyrim) and one of best exploring solo RPG of all time.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Metacritic has no meaning to a games user rating. It's very true if the game has any form of DRM you have the Anti-DRM pack go and rate it 0 to 2 out of 10 because of that alone. They wont even buy or play the game so you know right off the bat it isn't going to be a valid rating in the actual overall score. Next you have the anti publisher pack, that goes and rates based off of the fact that it's an EA published or an Activision published game, they swear they will not buy another EA or Activision or Bioware game so you will have a skewed rating based off of that group that hasn't played it either. It's a very unreliable way to look at ratings, similar to IMDB ratings (which I do read reviews on from time to time) but now a days publishers and developers are so afraid of metacritic ratings that they have to base bonuses off of that.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

BioEA lost me when afte ME2: the side quest and the DA2 demo.  The fact that SWTOR, ME3's ending, and DA2 all sucked just pushed me farther away.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I've enjoyed every bioware game I've played. Including those that other seemed not to like. They weren't perfect but there was good stuff in there.

Getting ready to play DA 2 again and will probably re-up for SWToR.

So "yes" I'll buy their games again.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Bioware is a thrall of EA now.  I won't buy anything that puts money into the pockets into the scourge of the games industry, at release or after.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Sure will. Every company fails on some level at some point.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Given the history of EA (Bullfrog, Origin, Maxis, Westwood, Distinctive Software (not exactly know, but made games like Stunts Need for Speed,  Test Drive, Castlevania and Metal Gear,), it's most likely EAs fault.

And user ratings on IMDB or metacritic obviously are not the one solution to judge a movie or game etc., but even the ones that suffer from users raging because of DRM (though from my experience, if there is a rage about stuff like DRM, it does indeed affect the whole game, justifiyng a way lower rating) still retain more credibility then the reviews from "professional" sites, MMORPG.com included, have since years.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

If MMORPG give it a good grade, that's a really good sign to stay the fuck away from that crap.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• GoresonGoreson Member Posts: 122

Oh man...

okay, first you shouldn't be listening to rumours! SWTOR is planned to be F2Plvl15, nothing more at this time. Which is not much different from what other MMORPGs have.

And most importantly, we don't even know the mechanics behind the F2Plvl15, it may just be that they are waiving the cost of the box if you want to keep on playing, just set up a sub.

But hey, speculation...

Now, you said it yourself BW has a long list of acclaimed winners under its belt, most obviously (for me) Baldur's Gate.

So yes, I would in theory give BW the benefit of the doubt when looking at buying one of their games.

But here is where I see you quite different than me:

You are a games junkie, me not. (I'm a movie junkie ;-) )

I bought ME at some point in time when it was cheap, didn't really play it, sold it, not because it was bad but because I just wasn't interested in it.

Never played any DA games.

Bought KOTOR1, ran like crap on the system I had back then plus I hated the controls, gave that one away.

Never bothered with ME2 or ME3 or KOTOR2.

Beta-tested SWTOR, basically just to see how bad it would run on my new laptop, found it surprising good, been playing it since early access.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't buy a game just because the BW logo is on it. Anybody who does that is in my mind rather stupid.

I look at whether this game could be interesting to me (usually), sometimes I will go by price, but I can still control myself and not jump on that next "superduper" game from my favorite company X.

Plus: I've come to mostly focus again on MMORPGs, so a singleplayer game would be less likely on my radar to pop up in the first place.

Now, should you ask if BW were to do another MMORPG would I buy that?

Well, the advantage with MMORPGs is that pretty much all of them offer beta test access (without having to pre-order/purchase the game) so yeah, if I got to test it and I'd like what I see there, yeah, I would buy another BW game.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I don't buy any games that EA makes or produces. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

Sadly Bioware just isn't the same company that it was during it's Black Isle days, hell even before and shortly after EA took over.

Seen it happen with many of my old time favourite developers and just taken it as a natural occurence nowadays with game development being big money for publishers - therefore I will only buy another Bioware game if I believe it would be a worthwhile investment - such as the old days of ~100+ hours, otherwise it's technically just another money grab for the publishers by using an iconic studios name.

Since Biowares main game designers have moved on to other studios there really isn't much hope of that.

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

It really depends on the game. I love a lot of Bioware's game including the Baldur's gate series and NWN. 

Mass Effect is one of the best game trilogy I have played in a very long time. I personally enjoyed them all equally. ME3's ending was good. I really liked it that they didn't go for a cheesy ending where Shepard and company destroy the reapers and they lived happily ever after and Shepard gets married and has a gazillion children and dies out of old age.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HybridvampyrHybridvampyr Member Posts: 61

I never judge a game by the Publisher or the Development studio and instead go off if the game looks like fun.

If BioWares next game looks interesting i shall pick it up. If its something that doesn't interest me then i'll give it a miss, Same goes for any other publisher or studio.