Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

These Forums Might Be Dying.

lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

I have been involved with this site for about 8 years now, though I have only been posting on it since 2009.  In this time, I have seen a lot of growth, and now it seems like the forums are different.  There are not as many posts, for one.  The same arguments are being made in the general forum over and over again, and even those seem to be getting lackluster.  Prominent members of this site like Teala don't even involve themselves as much anymore.  

So what is happening?  Are people losing interest in this site, or MMO's as a whole?

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Not that I can see. The average number of people on this site has been around 2,000 for several years. That is at any time of day, 24 hours a day. The redundant arguments have always been here.

Old members are always moving on  to somewhere else. New 'unknown' members are always showing up and thinking their point of view has never been stated before. Other new member argue with them. Some old members stoke the flames. Other old members ignore the redundant arguments.

Life goes on. This website goes on. Eventually both will end. For some sooner than later.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

The site and its viewcount might be fine, but I feel like the forums themselves are changing.  There are just less people interacting in these forums.

• Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Too much Moderation

• MedsiMedsi Member UncommonPosts: 23
    All forums have dips and lulls as well. It happens. Eventually core members run out of things to talk about and wander off to refuel and recharge. New core people step up to take their place.

*shrug* It seems pretty active to me still, and I've been lurking for years ;)
  • killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Interesting topic...

It's my belief this website has outgrown itself. Proof is in the forums. Long-standing members such as myself may feel disenfranchised due to the lack of interesting topics, and the fact those we enjoyed discussing with have left.

There are too many hands in one basket trying to grab at each other. MMORPG.com recognizes this, so they now allow you follow a particular members posts...but it's too little, too late. The fact they had to add this means they're too big for their own benefit.

New members are the life/blood of this website, which also means it will be their fall.

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by lifesbrink

I have been involved with this site for about 8 years now, though I have only been posting on it since 2009.  In this time, I have seen a lot of growth, and now it seems like the forums are different.  There are not as many posts, for one.  The same arguments are being made in the general forum over and over again, and even those seem to be getting lackluster.  Prominent members of this site like Teala don't even involve themselves as much anymore.  

So what is happening?  Are people losing interest in this site, or MMO's as a whole?

Same thing that happened to the previous generations. Hippies thought they were all that and should sit on the throne of self-satisfaction. But the next generation became punkers. They may have thought they said the final words, but the next generation became Yuppies.

In other words, MMO escapism might have been a trait of your generation, and it will die out. The next generation willl find something of their own.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by Scubie67

Too much Moderation

yeah, I know I post here less and less. 

I come to a forum to chat about stuff. and they are pretty much making it impossible.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Well this is depressing.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by killerTwinkie

Interesting topic...

It's my belief this website has outgrown itself. Proof is in the forums. Long-standing members such as myself may feel disenfranchised due to the lack of interesting topics, and the fact those we enjoyed discussing with have left.

There are too many hands in one basket trying to grab at each other. MMORPG.com recognizes this, so they now allow you follow a particular members posts...but it's too little, too late. The fact they had to add this means they're too big for their own benefit.

New members are the life/blood of this website, which also means it will be their fall.

That happened along time ago.

• eykosurfeykosurf Member Posts: 14

The genre itself is increasingly uninteresting.  When studios keep pushing out clones of fantasy themeparks year after year, at some point there's really not that much discuss.

This site still does a decent job with news events and the forums are generally interesting.