Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift or Dawn of War 2

PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

hey so both games mentioned in the title are on sale for cheap on amazon and steam respectively. i enjoyed both when i did their trials. i am looking for an mmo to play while i wait on gw2, but on the other hand i'd be able to pick up dow2 whenever i want to in the future (and it supposedly has decent multiplayer). anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

DoW 2 is good, very heavy on the multitasking and twitch skills, and dont let it make you mad if you loose

Im playing Tribes Acend, its now on Steam, a F2P FPS

Great game if you want to master a twitch type game, high learning curve

Rift is meh, kinda old to me

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Rift for me was just a WoW with public quests or "rifts".  DOW2 is an amazing game though, and the expansions were good as well. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

how the dow2 community? it seems like it could easily fall into being like sc (super hardcore) or lol (super hardcore and wretched).

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by atticusbc

how the dow2 community? it seems like it could easily fall into being like sc (super hardcore) or lol (super hardcore and wretched).

Depends who you play with I guess.  I really only play with my cousins or friends who have the game and we have a good time, but I've seen plenty of in chat rage from others and other teams if thats what you were thinking of.  Overall though the amount of people still playing is rather small, but that usually happens in between DOW releases as most begin waiting for the next title or expansion.  If you have never played a DOW title however and are interested in doing so its always a good idea to jump in now and become familiar with the game, there is much to learn. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

I bought Rift when it came out and for some odd reason I never could get into it. I tried a couple of time but never could understand how to progress with gear or point I might have won with closing of those rift.

I thought it was over complicated so has it seem to me since I didn't understand which NPC could help me progress with my gear.

Never could get into it.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

If you are going to dive into the Dawn of War games, I'd suggest the DOW1 game and it's many expansions.  Larger scope of fighting, alot of different factions, bigger variety of troops and vehicles.  I must put a big emphasis on scale of play.  DOW2 is a tiny game in its fighting compared to DOW1.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

I absolutely love the last staand mode of DoW2. I've spent many hours playing it.

Yes I played SWTOR.

• I really didn't like Rift, so I'd go with Dawn of War 2. It's a decent game, although I feel it's not as good as the original Dawn of War or StarCraft 2.

• CrisazgoCrisazgo Member Posts: 42

I play both. 

Dawn of war is a great game i love the whole francise of those games played each since the first DoW. I like how it is less about base building/rescource management and more about tactical awareness, combat and controling the map.

The latest in the series redemption is good, The campaign shares similarities to rpg. With leveling and item. I did however find it got too easy even on hardest difficultly.  The maps are also generic between the race choice. So the replayability is maybe not there for some.

Rift, is also great game if you dont mind the simularities with WoW. Rift has a better company behind it.

Aside from normal quests you can level all the way through instant adventures now which are like group/raid quests. Though they are incredibly easy. I would say its got the most interesting leveling system atm (before gw2 comes)  as you pretty much choose what you feel like doing - quest, instant adventure, 5man instance, rifts. Its also got alot of custimzation on the classes you can really pick what you want to be while leveling and be creative.

The only problem you maybe have with rift is endgame. Dont even think about it if you wont put hours in. The grind is big if you want to participate in raids. the pvp system is horrible to new players you are a freekill for many weeks of grinding theres too much of a gap.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Pretty sure the Steam summer sale will have DoW2 fairly cheap.

Think it was on the midweek sale for 75% off or something.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I found DOW2 totally lacknig compared to the first one.. sadly :(

Still worth picking up if its cheap..

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I found DOW2 totally lacknig compared to the first one.. sadly :(

Still worth picking up if its cheap..

Here's hoping Relic corrects their ship with Company of Heroes 2.  It still amazes me that Relic left to wither and die their most consistently highly regarded game, COH1.  Professional reviewers, actual gamers, usually point to COH1 in great esteem.  Personally, I loved COH1 and it really did alot of new things with RTS gaming.  They put out some expansions, but they never truly made a sequel to follow up on that momentum.

Instead, we had something like... the FPS game Space Marine.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)