Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bought the LTS for TSW and will buy GW2 because....

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by heartless

On the one hand I want to support Funcom because we need to show the rest of the industry that we want different. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with supporting a developer that launches a clearly unfinished game with a cash shop and a subscription. Especially after they went back on their promise to only include cosmetic items in their cash shop.

I have pre-ordered the game and I have until July 3rd to cancel it. I'll check it out over the weekend and figure out what I'm going to do from there.

So point me out where the game is unfinished?

I don't want to get into details because this is not what the post is about but here are a few things.

-The UI is very unintuitive. You can't assign keybinds to consumables. All consumables look the same.

-The combat still lacks impact. Melee looks like the character is just flailing his arms around. A lot of very similar abilities.

-The models, the character creator and the animations are sub par for a AAA MMO. It's clear that Funcom has decided to save money on character animations and models. The fact that they were fixing some models and animations 2 weeks prior to launch, doesn't speak highly of the completeness of the game.

-There are some serious clipping issues. Weapons clipping through each other on the back. Certain sword hilts clipping through arms when holding an assault rifle. Hair clipping through hats and hoods. Faces clipping through masks.

Those are just some of the things that need work.

But whatever, this is not really the topic for it.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

I myself am a business major with an emphasis on marketing and fnance. For the length of time I plan to play the game, it was the most logical choice. As an added bonus, I got about 40k CS cash, so i practically got the game for free ;) anyways I like both games enough to hold me with gaming for a long time... I never play "just one" title... I usually have had  2 mmos and 1 RTS/TBS game like Shogun 2... so now im just making the full switch to TSW and GW2 + STW2

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Cromica
    Originally posted by BartDaCat
    Originally posted by MattVid

Not sure why you would buy an LTS to any game, especially a Funcom game. I hope you won't rage when it goes free to play before the end of this year.

I might pick up TSW eventually, but it just doesn't do it for me right now. I also think subscription games are on the way out, these new FTP AAA titles are on the way in.

Well, people are definitely entitled to their opinions, but why would I rage?  I spend more than the cost of the lifetime sub on romantic dinners with my partner.

My wife and I love nothing more than a romatic dinner of mac and cheese in front of the fireplace :)

LOL, hey whatever brings you together! image

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

On the one hand I want to support Funcom because we need to show the rest of the industry that we want different. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with supporting a developer that launches a clearly unfinished game with a cash shop and a subscription. Especially after they went back on their promise to only include cosmetic items in their cash shop.

I have pre-ordered the game and I have until July 3rd to cancel it. I'll check it out over the weekend and figure out what I'm going to do from there.

I don't want to get into details because this is not what the post is about but here are a few things.

-The UI is very unintuitive. You can't assign keybinds to consumables. All consumables look the same.

-The combat still lacks impact. Melee looks like the character is just flailing his arms around. A lot of very similar abilities.

-The models, the character creator and the animations are sub par for a AAA MMO. It's clear that Funcom has decided to save money on character animations and models. The fact that they were fixing some models and animations 2 weeks prior to launch, doesn't speak highly of the completeness of the game.

-There are some serious clipping issues. Weapons clipping through each other on the back. Certain sword hilts clipping through arms when holding an assault rifle. Hair clipping through hats and hoods. Faces clipping through masks.

/facepalm

Thi is your definiton of un finished game? you are trying too hard now heartless.

*slams head on desk*

I can find shortcomings in GW2 too like animations, graphical issues and what not but i am pretty sure that is not what you call unfinished game...jeeez.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

I never understood the hooliganism (avoiding the word fanboi because I don't see anything bad in being a fan of something, some are fan of Rick Astley, I'm a fan of GW2 big deal...) for a specific game while trolling other games, and if I had plenty money to spend I would do the same as the OP for the same reasons.

Ever since it was announced I thought TSW was looking interesting on paper but the beta tought me it wasn't my thing and due to my limited budget for entertainment I can't afford to buy a game just to be supportive to innovation in the genre but almost never play it.

Originally posted by Sameer1979

Yeah i would also like to know how TSW is unfinished.

Heartless  from very beginning has passive aggressive attitude towards TSW. I wonder why he doesn't just cancel his pre order and move on. Because it is getting tiring to read mis information over and over again.

And OP i agree with you, this is exactly why i bought both games. We need to support new ideas so that MMOS go forward.

Sam, its clear that we are all just trying to downplay the other just so we get the last laugh or some shit like that... I know cause I was in the TSW camp and still am, but I am not going be soured on GW2 because of the constant bickering of BOTH camps... lets just all get together, throw back some booze and party cause 2012 is the year that the MMO started a COMEBACK! Yeeeah (in dean howards voice)

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Maitrader

Both companies deserve support... The MMO industry is getting worse by the year and I believe it to be important to support original ideas and big vision. Without support from me and individuals like me, TERA's , SWTOR's, Aions, ST:O, CoH's will continue to be released, and it simply isn't tolerable for me... Am I hyping up GW2? no.. do I think its the best thing ever? no.. what I do believe is that it executes a vision by its devs very well, much like TSW.... After further thought, I found myself to be foolishly supporting one game over the other as if they were enemies... in all honesty, these games are brothers, both with their strengths and weaknesses.. but with over-riding vision and love for the genre. You can tell both developers want MMO's to get better, not worse.

*Claps*

Really the whole post deserves a round of applause IMO.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by BartDaCat

Not sure why you would buy an LTS to any game, especially a Funcom game. I hope you won't rage when it goes free to play before the end of this year.

I might pick up TSW eventually, but it just doesn't do it for me right now. I also think subscription games are on the way out, these new FTP AAA titles are on the way in.

Well, people are definitely entitled to their opinions, but why would I rage?  I spend more than the cost of the lifetime sub on romantic dinners with my partner.

Maybe you have the decency not to. I have just seem so many games offer LTS, only to completely go under, or go Free 2 Play very quickly. Personally, this is why I simply won't do it.

1) Pay 200 bucks and only play the game for a couple months because there isn't enough to do. I haven't played a game for over a year in a long time. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

2) If the game doesn't succeed like they want it to and it goes under, or goes free to play, you just wasted a romantic dinners worth of money.

Do what you want, I just wouldn't do it personally :)

I personally love the direction of the game, some really nice person on this site shared a Closed Beta key with me, so I got to dig in a little deeper and I'm really enjoying what I've seen.  So, I'm pretty happy with the game and felt the LTS was a good deal for what I was getting.  It may not be for everyone, but it was definitely for me. =)

/facepalm

Thi is your definiton of un finished game? you are tryign too hard now heartless.

*slams head on desk*

This is why companies continue releasing half finished games. Because a barely functional UI is considered finished.

I think that you're too easily pleased. I can't wait until the honeymoon period ends.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

After seeing the unnecessary hate for eachother and being a part of one of the sides, I asked "why"? you know why? cause we are all competitive, and we want to see our team win.... TBH if both FC and ANet succeed, we ALL win... because it will set a new standard.

Apart from the fact it's a product not a team or cause.

Essentially a product is driven by market forces.  'Supporting' a product is idiotic at best, becasue as a consumer you really need to be wiser and use competition to your advantage.

By your logic regardless of whether TSW is a, 'great' game or not, we should buy it becasue it's different from all the things that have come out recently.  That does not lead to better games in the future.  

What leads to better products is a rejection of something that has no selling points to a consumer.  Do you think Sony scored big with the MD phase on their portable range? No, because it served no market need, people had CD quality audio and could burn music to blank CD's though MD's were, 'different', at the time. Again by your logic Sony, 'supporters', should have championed and bought it for diversity reasons.

The biggest problem with MMOs is it has a lack of futurists in charge of development, people who can anticipate what a potential userbase wants before the actual userbase realises they want said feature.  Until there are more people like that working in this industry then we'll all go around in circles.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

/facepalm

Thi is your definiton of un finished game? you are tryign too hard now heartless.

*slams head on desk*

This is why companies continue releasing half finished games. Because a barely functional UI is considered finished.

I think that you're too easily pleased. I can't wait until the honeymoon period ends.

Barely function you say? only because UI is not to your liking doesn't mean it is unfinished. I would also wait till your GW2 honeymoon period is over. It is not just TSW fans who are excited by the way and see nothing wrong in the game if that is what you are trying to imply.

Your bias is ruining a perfectly good intentioned topic.

Do yourself a favor cancel pre order and move on, no need to inflict pain on yourself on daily basis.

Originally posted by Omnifish

After seeing the unnecessary hate for eachother and being a part of one of the sides, I asked "why"? you know why? cause we are all competitive, and we want to see our team win.... TBH if both FC and ANet succeed, we ALL win... because it will set a new standard.

Apart from the fact it's a product not a team or cause.

Essentially a product is driven by market forces.  'Supporting' a product is idiotic at best, becasue as a consumer you really need to be wiser and use competition to your advantage.

By your logic regardless of whether TSW is a, 'great' game or not, we should buy it becasue it's different from all the things that have come out recently.  That does not lead to better games in the future.  

What leads to better products is a rejection of something that has no selling points to a consumer.  Do you think Sony scored big with the MD phase on their portable range? No, because it served no market need, people had CD quality audio and could burn music to blank CD's though MD's were, 'different', at the time. Again by your logic Sony, 'supporters', should have championed and bought it for diversity reasons.

The biggest problem with MMOs is it has a lack of futurists in charge of development, people who can anticipate what a potential userbase wants before the actual userbase realises they want said feature.  Until there are more people like that working in this industry then we'll all go around in circles.

Actually I never said everyone should buy TSW or GW2... The purpose of this post is to enlighten everyone to the fact that BOTH TSW AND GW2 have MAJOR PROMISE, and that the flaming and trolling on both needs to be cut down considerably. Our community as MMORPGers is truly at all time lows when we need to support one another and the companies that give us a chance at "enjoying a new an immersive" environment. Both have not only improved on areas of MMOs (some different, some same), but go as far as redefining the level of depth and immersion an MMO MUST HAVE to be acceptable. Some of us will support both financially, some will support with a lessening of trolling and hating, others will continue being immature and flame away.. I implore you who are not childish by nature, but have simply been pulled into this piss contest to join me in toning the hate way down and supporting the birth of two new and very enjoyable games!

Originally posted by RizelStar

Both companies deserve support... The MMO industry is getting worse by the year and I believe it to be important to support original ideas and big vision. Without support from me and individuals like me, TERA's , SWTOR's, Aions, ST:O, CoH's will continue to be released, and it simply isn't tolerable for me... Am I hyping up GW2? no.. do I think its the best thing ever? no.. what I do believe is that it executes a vision by its devs very well, much like TSW.... After further thought, I found myself to be foolishly supporting one game over the other as if they were enemies... in all honesty, these games are brothers, both with their strengths and weaknesses.. but with over-riding vision and love for the genre. You can tell both developers want MMO's to get better, not worse.

*Claps*

Really the whole post deserves a round of applause IMO.

+1.  The original intent of this thread was most admirable, and I agree with the sentiments given to both titles.  Not really feeling the whole "Let's Piss On Someone's Parade" vibe being shared by some embittered folks, but what are ya gonna do?  *shrug*

/facepalm

*slams head on desk*

Barely function you say? only because UI is not to your liking doesn't mean it is unfinished. I would also wait till your GW2 honeymoon period is over. It is not just TSW fans who are excited by the way and see nothing wrong in the game if that is what you are trying to imply.

Your bais is ruining a perfectly good intentioned topic.

It's not just not to my liking, it's unintuitive. But whatever, like I said, this is not really the topic for this.

As far as GW2 goes, I will be the first person to tell you that the game is not perfect and has issues. On the other hand, GW2, 2 months away from release, looks in a much better shape than TSW does 5 days before launch.

Oh and thanks for picking one sentence out of my argument in an attempt to discredit my point. Your inability to let go any and all criticism of TSW shows your bias very clearly. Nice try either way. Now if you don't mind, I would like to watch some football.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Actually I never said everyone should buy TSW or GW2... The purpose of this post is to enlighten everyone to the fact that BOTH TSW AND GW2 have MAJOR PROMISE, and that the flaming and trolling on both needs to be cut down considerably. Our community as MMORPGers is truly at all time lows when we need to support one another and the companies that give us a chance at "enjoying a new an immersive" environment. Both have not only improved on areas of MMOs (some different, some same), but go as far as redefining the level of depth and immersion an MMO MUST HAVE to be acceptable. Some of us will support both financially, some will support with a lessening of trolling and hating, others will continue being immature and flame away.. I implore you who are not childish by nature, but have simply been pulled into this piss contest to join me in toning the hate way down and supporting the birth of two new and very enjoyable games!

This. Even in a overly positive thread some certain persons start to dig trenches again to start yet another flamewar. I'm starting to think that some are taking MMOs too seriously as substitues for religion.

It's not just not to my liking, it's unintuitive. But whatever, like I said, this is not really the topic for this.

As far as GW2 goes, I will be the first person to tell you that the game is not perfect and has issues. On the other hand, GW2, 2 months away from release, looks in a much better shape than TSW does 5 days before launch.

Oh and thanks for picking one sentence out of my argument in an attempt to discredit my point. Nice try. Now if you don't mind, I would like to watch some football.

Not it not to your liking. SWTOR had unfinished UI not TSW. For 7 active and 7 passive abilities it works great. Infact you are the first person i have seen to complain about it since mostly players complain about animations and CC.

But then again all MMOS have issues close to launch, i can copy paste a long list for GW2 if you like. I don't think you even know what 'unfinished game' really means. Like i said you have always been biased and i knew the moment you post here what direction this topic will go.

But you are right this is not the topic for such discussion.

Originally posted by Piiritus

This. Even in a overly positive thread some certain persons start to dig trenches again to start yet another flamewar. I'm starting to think that some are taking MMOs too seriously as substitues for religion.

lol THISSSS!!!! ^^^^^ come on guys, margaritas and patron shots are on me! lets celebrate two bad ass titles for a dieing genre!! 

in TSW: Focusing Full tank Hammer/Claws and support DPS (Pistols/Shotty)

in GW2: Norn Warrior and Asura Engi, possible Human thief (FFIII Locke anyone?) ;)

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I agree OP.  At least these games are trying something different and they should be applauded.  Now we just need a good non themepark game to come out that's worth anything.  In no time we will have PS2 to appease the FPS complainers, GW2 for PvPers and uber casuals and TSW for non fantasy people.  Just need a good sandpark/sandbox MMO to help out that crowd.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

Biggest thing I can say is, If you want to support TSW, Do not buy the life time subscription. Look at what Turbine did with all the  LOTRO life time subs. They had a large lumpsum up front but a year down the road they had no revenue left. Everyone bought life times and that butchered the game later on because of it. Lifetime subs are great for the end user but tend to be a terrible idea buisness wise down the road. I hate to see something similiar happen to another mmo.

Im not saying dont sub to the game. Im just saying that lifetime subs actually end up hurting the game later on which may cause it to go free to play like LOTRO had to. 

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy the game

Saint

Originally posted by Twistingfate

Biggest thing I can say is, If you want to support TSW, Do not buy the life time subscription. Look at what Turbine did with all the  LOTRO life time subs. They had a large lumpsum up front but a year down the road they had no revenue left. Everyone bought life times and that butchered the game later on because of it. Lifetime subs are great for the end user but tend to be a terrible idea buisness wise down the road. I hate to see something similiar happen to another mmo.

Im not saying dont sub to the game. Im just saying that lifetime subs actually end up hurting the game later on which may cause it to go free to play like LOTRO had to. 

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy the game

Saint

well I bought the LTS for me, but paying for my ladies TSW account lol 

Thats cool Maitrader. I hope you enjoy the game. Lifetime subs are really dangerous for the longevity of a company so I really hope they dont go too far with it. Turbine was probably the biggest example of why you shouldnt do them haha..

Thats cool Maitrader. I hope you enjoy the game. Lifetime subs are really dangerous for the longevity of a company so I really hope they dont go too far with it. Turbine was probably the biggest example of why you shouldnt do them haha..

agreed, I really dont think many have gone LTS, but whatever works for you works for me ;) not sure I can get my lady into GW2 though, shes not huge into PVP lol shes a recent convert (finally got her to give in) but yea I think both games will offer many gamers alot of fun this summer. Also looking forward to both GW2 and TSW camps coming to terms and respecting one another as brethren, not competitors.

agreed, I really dont think many have gone LTS, but whatever works for you works for me ;) not sure I can get my lady into GW2 though, shes not huge into PVP lol shes a recent convert (finally got her to give in) but yea I think both games will offer many gamers alot of fun this summer. Also looking forward to both GW2 and TSW camps coming to terms and respecting one another as brethren, not competitors.

I can respect that sentiment. I really look forward to GW2 my self. Ive pre-purchased and have enjoyed the betas etc. I hope your wife enjoys Gw2 with you as I imagine it will be a blast to play with a partner :). The PVE content is really nice so even if she isnt into pvp I imagine you guys can find something fun to do.

I kind of chuckle a bit when people bicker between mmos considering one is P2P and one is B2P. Different markets that wont compete against each other. I mean if I was interested in TSW I would have bought both lol. TSW isnt my style of game but I still wish it the best.

Im just really pleased that developers are finally branching out and producing unique things now. Been too long since ive really oohed and Ahhed over a mmo if you know what I mean

Best wishes

Saint

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Both companies deserve support... The MMO industry is getting worse by the year and I believe it to be important to support original ideas and big vision.

True and both TSW and GW2 have original ideas and big vision. What I would want to see is a mix of the two, if at all possible. The only reason I turned down TSW was because it didn't have dynamic events, I so loved DEs in GW2, it's what outweighs all flaws it might have. However, after I finished TSW I could only imagine how it would have been with a DE system, or something like the Rift invasion system, there are so many places it would have been simply amazing.

I hope someone sometime mixes the two (in a new game probably) but it is a good start

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Just need a good sandpark/sandbox MMO to help out that crowd.

I find Embers of Caerus to be promising. Too early to tell anything of course but at least the idea behind it is good. Also I hope they put more effort into World of Darkness which has one of the best concepts I can imagine personally image