Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Saga of Ryzom: R² Developer Diary #2

We continue the series of Ryzom Ring diaries here on MMORPG.com with issue #2 from Nevrax. As noted, these have previously been posted on the official website, but will become limited time exclusives after Diary #3.

image Before I begin, I'm going to talk vocabulary for a moment. It's really, really hard to find good names to use in design work. When you find a word that you like for something and you start to use it, you invariably find that some large part of your audience use the same word for something else. As a result, I'm going to start by laying down a couple of terms that I'll use throughout this article and continue to use in the future.

The first term is COMPONENT. We're using this term to describe a large, grouped piece of a scenario a player might build, such as a group of NPCs with a boss/leader or a bandit camp. We previously used the term 'feature', which still figures on the screenshots that I've included here. Unfortunately, 'feature' just leads to far too much confusion :(

Take a moment to read the whole article here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

First, let me say, R² is even more amazing than I ever thought it would be. I mean, sure, I knew there would be editable content and such, but I guess I never really thought about the possibility of a scripting engine, allowing us to create anything we dream. I guess I can finally script those quests I have been wanting in SoR for so long now (yay)

As was stated, this answers many of my questions, but I still have so many I want to know. I am especially curious as to whether or not we are going to be able to import our own textures/models. While highly doubtful, I think it would be a great possibility.

By the looks of it R² is coming along nicely, and hopefully will be released soon after outposts image

Keep up the good work nevrax, and who knows, maybe ill re-subscribe sooner than later image

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

This looks very intersting and can open many new opportunities for Saga of Ryzom.  I remember Neverwinter Nights and the strong tools available to create modules with scripting and details.

I am just a bit worried that this sort of thing can change the atmosphere of Atys.  As long as there is care put into the mods, with Atys lore and other things kept in mind, this expansion can be a big hit. 

How will something like this work into the ongoing storyline of Saga of Ryzom?  Will the players and users of these tools be mindful of the current state of the game and enhance it, or will these tool be used to alter that game into something it wasn't meant to be? 

I just finished my 2 week trial of the game and I was impressed with how it has improved since beta and early release.  I may even come back to play on a regular basis . . .