Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard to sell gold on the RMAH... the end is nigh!

SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Comments

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

Imo it's looking more and more like Blizz is just using D3 as an experiment to see how real money auctions would go over when they release Titan.Set the groundwork and see how people accept it,then take it further in the next mmo.

It's the future unfortunately imo,but I guess greed has no bound's.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

good lord .. i know this isnt an mmo .. but I can already see the genre hooking onto this like a cat on catnip .. goodbye mmos. maybe I should take up golf.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Berikai

Imo it's looking more and more like Blizz is just using D3 as an experiment to see how real money auctions would go over when they release Titan.Set the groundwork and see how people accept it,then take it further in the next mmo.It's the future unfortunately imo,but I guess greed has no bound's.

In my assessment, you are on the right track, but the situation is more grim than you think. In part, the game is a litmus test, but it's mostly a boiling frog experiment to indoctrinate the masses to new marketing schemes without them noticing. They are trying to kill off the buy-and-play model of payment, in favor of an always-on pyramid marketing scam that makes money 24/7.

Instead of handing out these glowing 9/10 and 10/10 reviews, the gaming media should be up in arms over this. Instead, they are showering the game with praise. It's as if Lex Luthor started calling himself Superman, and nobody in power cares.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Support blizzard or support gold farmers? Better yet STOP buying gold and it'll all go away. You guys are putting the blame on the wrong people. It exists because people buy gold.

Blizzard is just trying to make more money off a game THEY created. Or would you rather have all the money go to some botters farming for gold? The ones that are doing it illegally. In the end everyone loses. I don't blame a company trying to find ways to profit more, when someone else is doing it already and didn't spend years developing the game.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I can understand buying games and subscription for new content in an ever evolving gaming world. I just can't understand how people can spend real money for imaginary items.
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by Berikai

Imo it's looking more and more like Blizz is just using D3 as an experiment to see how real money auctions would go over when they release Titan.Set the groundwork and see how people accept it,then take it further in the next mmo.

In my assessment, you are on the right track, but the situation is more grim than you think. In part, the game is a litmus test, but it's mostly a boiling frog experiment to indoctrinate the masses to new marketing schemes without them noticing. They are trying to kill off the buy-and-play model of payment, in favor of an always-on pyramid marketing scam that makes money 24/7. Instead of handing out these glowing 9/10 and 10/10 reviews, the gaming media should be up in arms over this. Instead, they are showering the game with praise. It's as if Lex Luthor started calling himself Superman, and nobody in power cares.

And what's interesting for me is that I've learned a lot about how the media works in general vis a vis corporate sponsors and cozy relationships with governmental and non-governmental entities. In order to maintain access to these sources, "journalists" do not wish to offend them, hence, the disservice we see gaming dedicated sites doing to consumers is mirrored in that being done by our so-called "free press" to citizens in democratic societies. 

When logical arguments are brought up in criticism of this status quo, you get the insulting defenders who use argumentum ad hominem, name calling, and basic e-thuggery , trying to beat down criticism by labeling it as "whining" (similar to the mindsets of brownshirts in a historical context, perhaps) to support their masters. Of course, this is not to say that every complaining post is valid, but I have seen very eloquent, intelligent, and relevent posts dismissed out of hand by apparent morons, who barely know how to type.

Not only applied to D3, but to games in general, is the vast scale of dumbing down and limits on options (just taking character creation and specialization as one example). One could argue that is merely a reflection of how society is changing, in forcing standardization, conformity, and homogonization on us -- all to milk us of our hard earned cash,aka our life's energy rendered in fungible form.

So the mmorpg sphere is an interesting little microcosm.

EDIT: Obviously, if a media source is  "free" for consumers, that source is working to advertise and promote for its biggest sponsors. So any articles written in such sources have to be read in that light, whether it's this site or CNN.  Good intelligence (information) costs money and/or time spent researching. Otherwise, you are getting someone else's agenda all for "free."

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by azmundai

good lord .. i know this isnt an mmo .. but I can already see the genre hooking onto this like a cat on catnip .. goodbye mmos. maybe I should take up golf.

it wont take off in mmos - at least it didint for SOE

SOE ran a similar service for 7 years, allowing players to sell their characters, gear, gold  in EQ2

the service was discontinued in december 2011

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/38939

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I feared for MMOs when TSW announced it's BS cash shop+subscription moddel (and, not or)..

The futuer's so dark I gotta wear night vision.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

double post, sorry

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

It's the peoples fault.  If they would just stop playing/paying P2W games, they would cease to exist.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Golf is PVP :-)  Well, sort of.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by mastersomrat

It's the peoples fault.  If they would just stop playing/paying P2W games, they would cease to exist.

Yup.

In the end we have only ourselves to blame. I keep hearing people complain about D3, yet how many millions bought D3? Blizzard announced long before the release of D3 what they intended to do with the game, so nothing new to see here.

Thank goodness I'll have GW2 to play. Already bought the game and don't have to spend another dime on it. If I like what Anet will be doing with the game (so far I do) then I'll be glad to buy the expansions. As to GW2's AH, I can get everything there with in-game gold, so I don't even have to spend real money in the AH.

I find it amusing, yet somewhat sad, to see people so shocked regarding the direction Blizzard is taking; Me and plenty of others saw this coming. Blizzard is becoming (if not already) another EA monster.

Returning to my original point, in the end its the consumer who decides the direction of the genre. By the looks of it, it appears that the masses are eating up what Blizzard is giving them; very unfortunate. I'm not pretending to be some high and mighty consumer sacrificing myself for the good of my gaming conscience... I didn't like the direction EA was going and stopped buying their games. I have not liked the direction Blizzard is going and will no longer buy any of their games. However, I do like the direction Anet is going and will cotinue to support them.

If you wanna know who's fault it is for the current state of mmorpgs, pick up a mirror and take good look!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

If $250 for a single items becomes the norm, I better go full time into my other hobby, racing...it would be cheaper lol.  I need a turbo for my focus :)

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Not worried about it, not even a little. As long as they keep printing / releasing books I'll be ok.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Trionicus

Not worried about it, not even a little. As long as they keep printing / releasing books I'll be ok.

That will all be DLC soon enough. 

Some publishers might have F2Read. You get the first chapter free and then you have to buy additional pages or chapters in the CS. And then they will only sell the dumbed down version of books (abridged, with simplified vocabulary) to sell more copies to the masses. Sometimes they will just replace words with little cartoons or moving pictures, to make it even easier.

And they will only sell short books because people won't pay to DL all of War and Peace or LoTR, for example. They will just sell best-sellers and it will be hard to find more obscure texts.  

;)

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

Most of the people bought D3 because there is at this momment little to see in the games landscape.

i'm pretty sure that if there was better games out there d3 wouldn't have sold that much. But since some good stuff is coming to change that landscape once it's leveled to real choice I guess the better game will take over and set the trend.

Hopefully GW2 will come out around augustus....

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by joocheese
    Originally posted by mastersomrat

Yup.

In the end we have only ourselves to blame. I keep hearing people complain about D3, yet how many millions bought D3? Blizzard announced long before the release of D3 what they intended to do with the game, so nothing new to see here.

Thank goodness I'll have GW2 to play. Already bought the game and don't have to spend another dime on it. If I like what Anet will be doing with the game (so far I do) then I'll be glad to buy the expansions. As to GW2's AH, I can get everything there with in-game gold, so I don't even have to spend real money in the AH.

I find it amusing, yet somewhat sad, to see people so shocked regarding the direction Blizzard is taking; Me and plenty of others saw this coming. Blizzard is becoming (if not already) another EA monster.

Returning to my original point, in the end its the consumer who decides the direction of the genre. By the looks of it, it appears that the masses are eating up what Blizzard is giving them; very unfortunate. I'm not pretending to be some high and mighty consumer sacrificing myself for the good of my gaming conscience... I didn't like the direction EA was going and stopped buying their games. I have not liked the direction Blizzard is going and will no longer buy any of their games. However, I do like the direction Anet is going and will cotinue to support them.

If you wanna know who's fault it is for the current state of mmorpgs, pick up a mirror and take good look!

Blizzard cold have sold anything and called it Diablo3. Millions would have bought a copy of the game anyway. Must people buying it had no idea about the details. And its impossible to know how fun a game will be. Unless you can play the whole game first. They wanted Diablo3 because it is Diablo3. And because it is a Blizzard game. And because they played D2 and liked it.

Now a lot of people are disappointed. TL2 and PoE forums are full of post from former D3 players trying to find a better ARPG. Blizzard is actually helping TL2/PoE. Every bad or unpopular decision Blizzard makes means more will try them and play them. And a lot of future PoE/TL2 players would not know those games existed if they had not played D3 first.

Even if Blizzard sold a lot of copies its not good for them if the game fails long term.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Deathofsage

I feared for MMOs when TSW announced it's BS cash shop+subscription moddel (and, not or)..

The good news is that they sell night vision goggles in the ingame store for only $49.99 :)

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Bushi131

Most of the people bought D3 because there is at this momment little to see in the games landscape.

i'm pretty sure that if there was better games out there d3 wouldn't have sold that much. But since some good stuff is coming to change that landscape once it's leveled to real choice I guess the better game will take over and set the trend.

I bought D3 and it was a good game, I played it for 80 hours, I got my main barbarian to act3 in inferno and the game is now happily uninstalled from my computer, £35 for 80 hours of entertainment is a worthwhile purchase. What Diablo3 does from this point on is of no concern to me now, if they start selling everything and there mothers in the cash shop it would make no difference to my life.

• galliard1981galliard1981 Member Posts: 256
    Originally posted by Trionicus

i havent seen more awesome response in years

Playing: Rohan
    Played (from best to worst): Shadowbane, Guild Wars, Shayia, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Runes of Magic, Rappelz, Archlord, Knight online, King of Kings, Kal online, Last chaos

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I bought D3 and it was a good game, I played it for 80 hours, I got my main barbarian to act3 in inferno and the game is now happily uninstalled from my computer, £35 for 80 hours of entertainment is a worthwhile purchase. What Diablo3 does from this point on is of no concern to me now, if they start selling everything and there mothers in the cash shop it would make no difference to my life.

But people that played Diablo2 for 25000 hours the last 12 years could be a bit disappointed if  they feel D3 is no longer fun after 80 hours.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

If you think it will make no difference to you, you're wrong.  What you and most other fail to realize, especially when it comes to an industry shaper like Blizzard, is that the decisions they make do tend spread out and get adopted by other developers and publishers.  That means if Blizzard can make their shitty RMAH model work, other games will attempt it.  And if they start selling their own mother in the shop, others will eventually follow suit.  Then YOU will be facing that cesspool that you left behind because YOU already told the industry that YOU were OK with it, by initially supporting it.

Gamers seem to have an incredibly self-serving sense of reality.  So long as they can get their pleasure centers massaged today, nothing that happens tomorrow even matters.  Like junkie crackheads, the idea of consequences is non-existent.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Deathofsage

WoW has been doing this for quite some time. Whats funny is for a lot of gamers, it's ok if Blizz does it but how dare Funcom do it.

I myself see it as another depressing evolution in gaming.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Gravarg

If $250 for a single items becomes the norm, I better go full time into my other hobby, racing...it would be cheaper lol.  I need a turbo for my focus :)

It's amazing and hilarious how a pixel sword can sell for the same price as a high end golf club isnt it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Originally posted by Berikai

I would have loved a RMAH in WoW. I hit gold cap a few times in that game, and there is just honestly nothing to do with the gold as you can't spend it as quickly as you make it. I am a fan of a regulated RMAH, but as I have told my friends from the beggining it should have only been gold sold on the RMAH and not items.