Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone still tempted to buy the lifetime sub?

Comments

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

In my opinion there is no such thing as free to play.

I am not a kid that enjoys playing lvl 1- 10 of a game or to be restricted in some way from the full game. I want quality and I want depth, all games or bits of games that are F2P are of zero interest to me(perhaps only as a trial to see what the game is like).

I work and earn a wage and my hobby is MMOs and games in general, so I don't mine spending £10 a month on a game, which in the great scheme of things is about 30 pence a day which is diddley squat.

F2P is a fad or marketing ploy. If you are serious enough about games to post or read threads on MMORPG then I imagine that you too will not be satisfied with F2P games.

So all this hoo haa about TSW going F2P is miss-guided tbh. I have tried  life time subs but it is not for me, simply because I play one game at a time, intensively, and when i get tired of one game, perhaps after 2 or 3 months, I move on to another or re-visit an old one.

But if you feel that TSW is for you then go for life time. And for all others thinking it will go f2p go and check out AoC f2p offering and if you can live with the restrictions then a life time was never meant for you in the first place.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Arkain
    Originally posted by ChicagoCub

I've never been able to pull the trigger on a lifetime sub.  Just too superstitious.  One day you buy the lifetime sub, the next...BAM! Hit by a bus.  No thank you.

LOL

Where I live, it would go:

One day you don't buy the lifetime sub, the next...BAM! Hit by a bus. An hour after that, someone else is using your credt card to buy a life sub and you did not get to play at all. 

haha! I'm like that, too, I guess.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

I am not a kid that enjoys playing lvl 1- 10 of a game or to be restricted in some way from the full game. I want quality and I want depth, all games or bits of games that are F2P are of zero interest to me(perhaps only as a trial to see what the game is like).

I work and earn a wage and my hobby is MMOs and games in general, so I don't mine spending £10 a month on a game, which in the great scheme of things is about 30 pence a day which is diddley squat.

F2P is a fad or marketing ploy. If you are serious enough about games to post or read threads on MMORPG then I imagine that you too will not be satisfied with F2P games.

So all this hoo haa about TSW going F2P is miss-guided tbh. I have tried  life time subs but it is not for me, simply because I play one game at a time, intensively, and when i get tired of one game, perhaps after 2 or 3 months, I move on to another or re-visit an old one.

But if you feel that TSW is for you then go for life time. And for all others thinking it will go f2p go and check out AoC f2p offering and if you can live with the restrictions then a life time was never meant for you in the first place.

Free to play (or more accurately B2P) is not a fad. It's how most video games work and how they have always worked. Subscription-based MMOs have been the exception, not the norm.

Call of Duty, Skyrim etc = you buy a box and pay for that. Some go even further like League of Legends where you don't even pay a box price.

Bear in mind the two examples above are 2 of the most played games in history, both huge financial successes.

The notion of the subscriber based MMO game is actually the aberration. No one would even consider asking for a subscription fee to play a FPS, or play Starcraft multiplayer. The revenue comes from expansions and the delivery of cash shop content, whether it be cosmetic or otherwise.

The era of sub-based MMO gaming is really over, and MMOs have entered the mainstream of gaming.

And even the mainstream of B2P is tending more towards F2P with B2P options.

Originally posted by Greyhooff

Free to play (or more accurately B2P) is not a fad. It's how most video games work and how they have always worked. Subscription-based MMOs have been the exception, not the norm.

Call of Duty, Skyrim etc = you buy a box and pay for that. Some go even further like League of Legends where you don't even pay a box price.

Bear in mind the two examples above are 2 of the most played games in history, both huge financial successes.

The notion of the subscriber based MMO game is actually the aberration. No one would even consider asking for a subscription fee to play a FPS, or play Starcraft multiplayer. The revenue comes from expansions and the delivery of cash shop content, whether it be cosmetic or otherwise.

The era of sub-based MMO gaming is really over, and MMOs have entered the mainstream of gaming.

Think you got the wrong forum dude, this is MMORPG.com :p

The era of sub based games is not over, they have tricked you into thinking it has, that is my point. Do you think WoW will go f2p? or Eve online, why should they. As i said before, games that are shallow and dont hold interest can and do go totally F2p, but I will not be playing them.

• OnnsOnns Member Posts: 7

After six months in closed beta I bought the lifetime sub Grand Master Pack + Initiate Pack! Money well spent, Funcom has really done it this time :)

Originally posted by Onns

After six months in closed beta I bought the lifetime sub Grand Master Pack + Initiate Pack! Money well spent, Funcom has really done it this time :)

ok I'm outta here, clearly work hours have started and Funcom are reactivating old forum accounts, 3 posts in the last 3 minutes yet joined years ago, great. I remember this happening at AOC launch, the dummy forum accounts marketing the game etc, seems like we're back to old tricks.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

You cant go comparing small sp games MMORPGs its totally different.

They dont have the server running costs or the on-going dev costs that a MMORPG does..

f2p and b2p is just to bring more people into the game, you do realise that you will be buying stuff in the cash shop and probally spending more than you would if the game just had a sub.

I dont think the era of Sub based games is over, i think that sub based games are generally a lot better then f2p or b2p games and i think it will stay that way..

ok I'm outta here, clearly work hours have started and Funcom are reactivating old forum accounts, 3 posts in the last 3 minutes yet joined years ago, great. I remember this happening at AOC launch, the dummy forum accounts marketing the game etc, seems like we're back to old tricks.

In case you don't know this, I'll explain something for you...

Sometimes mmorpg.com has different types of giveaways like beta codes and in-game items, and to get a key you need to have an account, so I made one. Apparently I can't make an account without posting in the forums? wtf? Are you serious? x)

Originally posted by Caldrin

They dont have the server running costs or the on-going dev costs that a MMORPG does..

f2p and b2p is just to bring more people into the game, you do realise that you will be buying stuff in the cash shop and probally spending more than you would if the game just had a sub.

I dont think the era of Sub based games is over, i think that sub based games are generally a lot better then f2p or b2p games and i think it will stay that way..

I hardly think COD / BF3 / Diablo3 / League of Legends are "small sp games".

The truth is the only people charging subs are those who can (WoW) and those who are too lazy to switch or are milking people for every last cent (Warhammer, SWTOR).

MMOs are going F2P, and are joining all the other game genres. It's a good thing, it means MMOs might even make their way onto consoles next. And it doesn't mean they will be any less deep, I mean compare Tera to GW2, which is deeper the one with a sub or the one without?

There's also another reason MMOs are going F2P or B2P.

It avoids that horrible headline: "massive subscriber loss" - the headline that has hit every MMO since WoW, and WoW since Cataclysm.

Think about that for a moment.

Sometimes mmorpg.com has different types of giveaways like beta codes and in-game items, and to get a key you need to have an account, so I made one. Apparently I can't make an account without posting in the forums? wtf? Are you serious? x)

oh I wasn't merely referring to you.

oh I wasn't merely referring to you.

Then you shouldn't click "quote" before typing your answer... o_O

The truth is the only people charging subs are those who can (WoW) and those who are too lazy to switch or are milking people for every last cent (Warhammer, SWTOR).

MMOs are going F2P, and are joining all the other game genres. It's a good thing, it means MMOs might even make their way onto consoles next. And it doesn't mean they will be any less deep, I mean compare Tera to GW2, which is deeper the one with a sub or the one without?

It avoids that horrible headline: "massive subscriber loss" - the headline that has hit every MMO since WoW, and WoW since Cataclysm.

They will only run into that issue if they are trying to compete with wow...

The reason so many so called AAA mmos are doing so bad is because they try and compete with wow to get some of the wow pie... sadly wow is the best at making wow pie so all the wow lovers are gonna stay there no matter what.. sure they leave now and then to check other games out but soon reaslise they only like wow and go back..

Take a look at eve, its not trying to compete with wow it has a sub and its sub numbers have grown over time..

Others did it in the past EQ, AC, UO all started low and then grow to decent sub levels for quite a long time until the games started getting outdated graphics wise..

f2p/b2p is a way for companeis to try and get more of that wow pie but they wont do any better..

Now games that dont directly try and compete with WoW usually do pretty well eve is the biggest of the lot..

Darkfall started doing pretty good at one point until the devs totally lost it...

Mortal Online has been getting better slowly over time and subs hve been slowly gonig up as well..

Of course those games have all had quality issues because of the lack of funding and the majority of people are used to WoW and themepark games all run away from all those type of games..

Anyway what im getting at is.. WOW is the perfect themepark MMORPG and no company making another AAA mmo should try to compete as they will loose out in the end..

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

This IS a game about conspiracies, after all, people like you are supposed to LIKE it, damn you :p

Originally posted by Caldrin

No, they may not be small SP games they are big MP games but not MMOs! Surely you understand the difference.

Yes the people who can charge a sub will and there is no reason to change. GW 1 was f2P but was it a technically an mmo? Or more of a MP game ala diablo with a lobby etc. GW2 is, as I understand it, different, even then I dont see all the current p2p games suddenly going f2p because of it.

Apart from GW2 what other quality MMO is f2p, and by that I mean unrestricted F2P?

Ok I thought about the "massive sub loss" and I can not see why a producer would say, "ah... we better make our game f2p because our game is so bad that when we start to loss subs we will be hit with the headline "Massive sub loss" and our game will then die". If it is crap it will die anyway and that would be the reason they make it f2p and not some Internet headline, and since it hits every game (your words) it becomes a non-issue anyway.

I for one do not care if there is a massive sub loss, so long as the game is good and there are enough players playing it to make it viable, Eve on-line never had a massive sub base in the first place and that is a very good game.

On top of that 90% of game players don't even read about games on the internet let alone be influenced by such a headline!!

Seriously would such a headline make you stop playing a game?

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

If they offer a lifetime sub you can be certain the game is planned to go f2p very soon after release.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Hurvart

If they offer a lifetime sub you can be certain the game is planned to go f2p very soon after release.

And was Designed as such it looks to me, time will tell.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • GuardianwulfGuardianwulf Member Posts: 4

"ok I'm outta here, clearly work hours have started and Funcom are reactivating old forum accounts, 3 posts in the last 3 minutes yet joined years ago, great. I remember this happening at AOC launch, the dummy forum accounts marketing the game etc, seems like we're back to old tricks."

Ok had to laugh at this. TSW is all about the tin-hat wearing conspiracy theorist being correct with all his crazy ideas...you would fit right in ;)

I am pretty sure you are simply being confronted by a mob of folks who have been playing the betas and realise how well Funcom did it this time around. Given the fact there has been very little traditional marketing for the game, I don't think they would direct staffers to come respond to your posts :)

As to your theory on the pay model I have to point this out to you: your 'free' games where you just pay the addons cost? That will get more expensive over time than paying box price and a one shot life sub. Every game has a marketing angle and theirs is just a bit more subtle. That works great if you are a short attention span theater sort of guy, but folks like me who stick with a game end up buying add-on after add-on just to see the new content. (Speaking of which- I just bought Gods and Kings, yay! Ok..that was my ADD kicking in...ahem!)

Anyway my bottom line is that if I am enjoying a product- I will happily support it by paying for it. As a grown up I have learned 'you get what you pay for' and to that end I am not only investing in the current game but whatever Funcom develops next. Yeah I know they have had some rough spots- I lived through AOC :) But they keep innovating and trying new things. Most importantly they keep developing/supporting thier older games- I know a crazy amount of folks still playing AO (I never did but ah well).

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181

So many suckers in this thread buying lifetime subs for a soon to be free game.

• DreddeDredde Member Posts: 28

Bought it simply because this is the best mmo ive played in over 15 years. If they go free to play I will get rewarded anyways so dont see a problem there :)

Originally posted by LachyFTW

Heh, AOC went F2P YEARS after release- and even then it was a very restrictive model barring a ton of content and goodies. Love how you have your crystal ball, though! Maybe do something useful with it like pick winning lottery tickets?

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

Your opinion, is wrong. if there is no sub, its FREE...chosing to buy from a shop is a CHOICE.

Congrats, F2P games are not level limited...PAY TRAPS are, and they are NOT really F2P. There is P2P, B2P, Paytrap and then F2P. Runes of Magic is F2P, EQ2 is Paytrap.

Meaningless drivel that does not apply in any way to F2P gaming...

Its true, a game model that was started in 1996 and led to the creation of the single largest Asian gaming company...is a fad...

Thats right, Nexus was released in 1996 and led to Nexon buying out 11 gaming companies and now makes over 1 BILLION US dollars a year most of which is off of F2P games...and Nexon wasnt the only free game of that year, Tibia was the other...and NWNO went free near the end of that year.

And as is rather OBVIOUS by the amount of F2P coverage on MMORPG.COM...this site is completely deviod of F2P readers...lol.

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by Guardianwulf

Heh, AOC went F2P YEARS after release- and even then it was a very restrictive model barring a ton of content and goodies. Love how you have your crystal ball, though! Maybe do something useful with it like pick winning lottery tickets?

You are talking like if AOC was any good, it took me all of 30 minutes in CB to decide that I was not buying it and god was I right on that one.

Originally posted by Hurvart

I dont really know of any games that went f2p soon after they where released because they ahd a lifetime sub..

STO lasted 2 years before going f2p

LOTRO also lasted quite some time..

Unless im forgetting  game that had a lifetime sub and went f2p quicker..

Oh don't get me wrong- AOC was buggy as hell at release. But I stuck with it because of guild involvement/friends and ultimately enjoyed it. If you never bought it or played it how can you make a comment about it? Just curious. Just not getting the hate-on happening from folks that never played a product. I mean..I HATE liver...but I had to try it first to come to that conclusion :)

However aside from that I'm not trying to convert you, quite honestly...just interested in the F2P conversation and the utter surety a couple folks are espousing the game will go F2P shortly after launch. The business model has proven anything but that tendancy so it seems a pretty wild thing to toss into the conversation as unsupported by facts as it is. 

I'm not one of those folks that get offended when somone doesn't like a game I enjoy- I'm not paying for you to play ;). I just get irked by baseless arguments or conjecture :D

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by Guardianwulf

You are talking like if AOC was any good, it took me all of 30 minutes in CB to decide that I was not buying it and god was I right on that one.

So many MMO prophets around here.  A stopped clock is right twice a day.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.