Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon's Dogma and combat....

spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Hey Mates,

Just wanted to share my experience with the game 'Dragon's Dogma' on PS3 (annoyed, no PC version means no eyefinity for me). Specifically, the Combat?

I have to say that I really, really like it thus far...it's so fun and potentially a great combat method for an MMORPG. It reminds me of a combination of combat from Deamon's Souls and Shadow of Colossus.

For example, I am currently playing a warrior class with heavy armor. Well, my warrior proceeds a bit slower, and makes sure that massive shield is out there in front, ready to protect me or be used as a bludgeoning weapon. The shield feels like a central component of my arsenal....think of how the Spartans fought in 300. If you are going to carry a massive wall into combat, it would probably be right out in front, right?

In addition to combat having an appropriate weight and feel, but some of the monsters are just frickin huge! This is we're the shadow of colossus elements come into lay. Humanoid enemies can be stunned and they you can grab them from behind while your teammates slaughter them, or vice ceramic....you hold EM, I'll hit EM. When the monsters are a lot bigger than you, your strategy will frequently force to to climb the enemy to gain access to vulnerable spots. In some cases, Mage team members can literally laugh you into the air to attack flying monsters!

For a single-player game, it's hella fun but I actually enjoy the hell out of the combat. Overall, it's just a damn fun game. If you have not done so, give it a try...I think it has a free demo available on both consoles. Sems like this game is sliding under the radar so I thought I would give it a shout out...I do not do this often, so take it for what it is and maybe have SME fun!

Sorry, I cannot seem topmost the link as a clicky link, but it's the E3 trailer from YouTube.

Share your thoughts if you've played it!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
www.spankybus.com
-3d Artist & Compositor
-Writer
-Professional Amature

Comments

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Yes, i'd recommend everyone to at least try it. Best RPG in a long time in my opinion. Love the exploration and combat against the big enemies is epic.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I love this game.

Though I got to a point where I was pretty sure I was about to finish, and the game basically went 'fuck you.  Now it gets HARD'.

Which is pretty cool, actually. :)

I have loved all the classes I've tried so far...

I've maxed out strider, assassin and magic archer on my main character. :)

I just really love the bows, and daggers make scaling enemies super fun.  Tons of play value out of this, really, and you can do some really interesting interactions with your team members.

It'd make a pretty great MMO design, I think.  Or at least, a co-op 4 player experience.  Not sure how well this style of combat would scale with a larger party, 4 people is already enough where sometimes there's 3 of us climbing on one poor enemy at once. :)

The combat has layers of difficulty, you can play smart and get really good at it and hardly take hits at all, ever.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Watching a playthrough and I can say it's one of the few games that makes me with I had a console. Still hoping that it might come on PC, altho it probably won't, even if it's like 1 year later or so. Love what I saw of the combat system.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I ~was~ enjoying it but some of those darker environments are just too dark for me. I can't see shit while fighting, and that irks the hell out of me. It's not just DD, I see a lot of games doing that recently, some trend to increase the ambiance or anxiety or some such BS. Devs evidently aren't aware that it plays like crap for the colorblind. 

But other than that (and the fact that companions talk to damned much) I really don't have anything to complain about. It's a phenomenal game otherwise.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I ~was~ enjoying it but some of those darker environments are just too dark for me. I can't see shit while fighting, and that irks the hell out of me. It's not just DD, I see a lot of games doing that recently, some trend to increase the ambiance or anxiety or some such BS. Devs evidently aren't aware that it plays like crap for the colorblind. 

But other than that (and the fact that companions talk to damned much) I really don't have anything to complain about. It's a phenomenal game otherwise.

Can't you adjust the overall darkness?  Not sure how well that helps for colorbind though.

If it makes you feel any better, half the time I can't see much either.  Even WITH the lantern.  Sometimes I'm swinging blindly and just praying I'm estimating right. :)

... and I've managed to justify the way the companions talk by telling myself it's because they're soulless people with no real personalities (Which is canonically true).  Since they're horribly socially crippled, I figure they just repeat themselves on basic things because they're unsure how to do small talk.

They WANT to do things like say 'So, how's the weather?' or 'How's the kids, huh?', but all they can come up with is comments like 'Watch out for fire!  You dont' want to be on fire!' or 'A hobgoblin!  They're much more dangerous than a normal goblin!'.  Poor socially deficient people.  :(

(A mean person would make some sort of comment about how their habit of constantly repeating themselves and stating what is sometimes blatantly obvious would make them perfect forum posters, but...)

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I really hope they make a PC version for this game. I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I don't plan on buying an entire console for 1 game.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Wolfenpride</i>
    <br><b><p>I really hope they make a PC version for this game. I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I don't plan on buying an entire console for 1 game.</p></b></blockquote>
    <p> </p>

I would just love to see this combat system in an MMO. Instead of raids for 40 people hacking at some big mob's ankles, we have people scaling The mob, getting flung off and slamming into walls, cutting off key parts of the creature....

if you can make it to the head, stab its eyes., etc....a wall of tanks locking their sheilds together in a phalanx to protect the healers and nukers while rogues and gladiator warriors scurry aput the beast like ants.....

SOOo much more epic!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

I apologize in advance for however messy this is. I'm literally so excited about this game that I cannot slow my thoughts and enthusiasm down when thinking about it.

I just picked this game up a week ago, and I cannot put it down. I have honestly never found a more engaging game than this. I thought I have in the past, but I was wrong. The story is interesting, and actually portrays an interesting theme well (a lot of japanese titles don't). The dialogue is interestingly done, and remains consistently decent, which really helps create a believable world.

And I really love the realism in the game. The game is meant to be dark without a lantern, the fact that you have to have supplies to keep going is fantastic, and planning ahead makes things infinately easier. But, with the encumbrance system you can only carry so much, before you start hurting your effectiveness...I could go on but all I can really say is WOW, I really wish I could find these systems in an MMORPG.

And thats not even mentioning the combat.

My only complaint comes from the camera when climbing. Oftentimes up doesn't make me go where I believe up is, granted it really is hard to to figure out which way is up when you're upside down in an ogre's armpit.

The real facinating thing is, the game doesn't even need the skills to make combat engaging. Even if you just use light attack, power attack, block, jump and grab there are so many different ways to approach an enemy. Thats proper design, imo. Less is indeed more.

To end this little Fanboi-gasim of mine, I'm going to tell you about my favorite fight.

I was playing around just outside Gran Soren on the walls. I see a griffin about to dive in for an ox that right at the base of the busted wall I was on. I cast backfire ( a magick archer move that sets you on fire, damaging yourself and setting enemies you touch on fire). I got a nice sprinting jump off the wall, and managed to grab hold of the griffin right as he was taking off again.

End Result: Seeing myself hurdling through the air on the back of a flaming griffin just made my week.