Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game plus subscription plus cash shop?

rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

Let me wrap my feeble mind around this, they are selling a digital copy for $49.99, to play it there will be a $15 monthly fee, then they will also be running a cash shop ingame?

I'm all for subs if the content is Strong! but if this model is true I may pass on the feeding frenzy Funcom is creating for themselfs.

What's next ingame adds, I mean pick one or two Funcom.......not all of them.

Comments

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by rdrpappy

Let me wrap my feeble mind around this, they are selling a digital copy for $49.99, to play it there will be a $15 monthly fee, then they will also be running a cash shop ingame?

I'm all for subs if the content is Strong! but if this model is true I may pass on the feeding frenzy Funcom is creating for themselfs.

Where have you been? Most all AAA title MMOs have that. WoW has been like that for years

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

This about sums up my feelings upon seeing this thread:

.. But in a good way.

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

How does Wow having that equal most mmos? SWG didnt have that nor did AO,AC, UO, EQ, Shadowbane, SWTOR, AoC, LOTRO, DOAC and so on.

First of all $49.99 is pretty ambitious for a digital copy, the $15 a month sub fee should be a hands off to any cash shop or ingame adds.

I was gona get this title, I am not going to get this title any longer, I pay a sub fee to have a very active dev team crank out content and keep the salesmen from hasseling me ingame, I wont do a sub fee and a cash shop and certainly not with ingame adds to boot.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

How does Wow having that equal most mmos? SWG didnt have that nor did AO,AC, UO, EQ, Shadowbane, SWTOR, AoC, LOTRO, DOAC and so on.

First of all $49.99 is pretty ambitious for a digital copy, the $15 a month sub fee should be a hands off to any cash shop or ingame adds.

I was gona get this title, I am not going to get this title any longer, I pay a sub fee to have a very active dev team crank out content and keep the salesmen from hasseling me ingame, I wont do a sub fee and a cash shop and certainly not with ingame adds to boot.

No it's not. If anything, it's cheaper than usual.

And if you do your research, you can get a copy for quite a bit less than that.

Also, cash shop is purely cosmetic items only (at least so far).

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Sounds great.

/thread?

.. But in a good way.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

Where have you been? Most all AAA title MMOs have that. WoW has been like that for years

@rdrpuppy:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/355513/Wait-now-ingame-advertising.html

Speculative, and might be just a one time thing, but they've already got a template for ingame-advertising.

When I was really a fan and excited about this game, this was the first major turnoff. Way too greedy and I'd hate for this game to be a smashing success just because I'd hate for more games to follow this model.

Combat, btw, was the deciding factor against the game. It's too bad too, because the quests were every bit as good as I hoped they'd be.

@wrightstuf

I hate this argument. It's not entirely wrong, but WoW's cash shop is very unobtrusive. It's corporate greed just the same as Funcom and anyone slse, but it sells so little that I don't feel like my character is deficient because of it. I haven't played wow in 2 years, but several friends do and their gear doesn't seem somehow lacking.. Heck, even the rocket mount is a gift for referring a friend (or was) and makes it easier to move a newbie friend around the game. An incentive for referring a friend, but hardly has a price tag of its own.

edit: sorry, by gear, I mean appearance too. TSW separates the two, which is cool.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

60 bucks  is the new ambitious price for digital sales, you should know you played SWTOR.

@Deathsofage

I know right

Originally posted by Deathofsage

@wrightstuf

I hate this argument. It's not entirely wrong, but WoW's cash shop is very unobtrusive. It's corporate greed just the same as Funcom and anyone slse, but it sells so little that I don't feel like my character is deficient because of it. I haven't played wow in 2 years, but several friends do and their gear doesn't seem somehow lacking.. Heck, even the rocket mount is a gift for referring a friend (or was) and makes it easier to move a newbie friend around the game. An incentive for referring a friend, but hardly has a price tag of its own.

edit: sorry, by gear, I mean appearance too. TSW separates the two, which is cool.

We don't know yet how obtrusive TSW's cash shop will be. I would assume at least as long as the game is sub-based the cash shop will be in the background. I might be wrong, of course.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Sameer1979

60 bucks  is the new ambitious price for digital sales, you should know you played SWTOR.

Only for console games, and cross-platform ones have to follow suit or face lawyers.

Also, EA game is EA game.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

I still do play SWTOR and I paid alot more than that, 150 bucks for my big bad CE, but your noob insult aside, fifty bucks is in my obviously superior opinion alot for some data.

Call me old fashioned but I think for that price you should get a disk, some stuff in a fancy box and what not, not just the satisfaction of allowing the pillaging to begin.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Actually Lord of the Rings and Age of Conan both have cash shops and make a ton of money outside of sub fees off them now. Dont know how long its been since youve played either of these two games but id say a lot of the money lord of the rings makes now comes from its cosmetic stuff. Hell even Everquest 2 has a crap load of cosmetic armors to buy now. This doesnt include stuff like non-combat pets and mounts these games usually sale also in their shop. 

Like someone else said.... Its probably all cosmetic clothing and what not. Lots of people tend to care more about how their character looks and dont want to have to substitute stats for appearance(mostly for rp effects im guessing). As long as it stays optional with cosmetic upgrades and other account upgrades like many games have(bank/character slots) i see no issue with it.

Originally posted by GTwander

Only for console games, and cross-platform ones have to follow suit or face lawyers.

Diablo 3?

And cross-platform games don't have to be the same price. Only Activision thinks that (CoD)

Guild Wars 2 is 55 bucks.

I do agree 50+ USD/EUR is a lot for a digital download game, but luckily in many cases there are alternative ways of getting your keys. I got my TSW key for 30 EUR (around 38 USD).

I still do play SWTOR and I paid alot more than that, 150 bucks for my big bad CE, but your noob insult aside, fifty bucks is in my obviously superior opinion alot for some data.

Call me old fashioned but I think for that price you should get a disk, some stuff in a fancy box and what not, not just the satisfaction of allowing the pillaging to begin.

I was just trying to correct you because you are wrong regarding your '50 bucks is ambitious for digital sales'. So calling me a noob is kind of ironic considering you paid a lot more for SWTOR.

Once you deal with EA everything else you say about other companies being ambitious with 50 bucks is just ..well..hilarious!

Originally posted by tom_gore

Diablo 3?

Let me rephrase that then.
    Activision game is Activision game.

~and GW2 is 60$.

NCsoft game is NCsoft game.

The rule is that if you add any publisher that is full of shit into the picture, they will charge the maximum amount possible.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by itbewilly

Actually Lord of the Rings and Age of Conan both have cash shops and make a ton of money outside of sub fees off them now. Dont know how long its been since youve played either of these two games but id say a lot of the money lord of the rings makes now comes from its cosmetic stuff. Hell even Everquest 2 has a crap load of cosmetic armors to buy now. This doesnt include stuff like non-combat pets and mounts these games usually sale also in their shop. 

Like someone else said.... Its probably all cosmetic clothing and what not. Lots of people tend to care more about how their character looks and dont want to have to substitute stats for appearance(mostly for rp effects im guessing). As long as it stays optional with cosmetic upgrades and other account upgrades like many games have(bank/character slots) i see no issue with it.

Both those games are free to play buddy.

Originally posted by aesperus

They are the new "free to play" yes but anyone who thinks the new free to play model is anything other then free to try is silly :) Take Age of Conan for example. Character slot restrictions.Class Restrictions. Dungeons that are locked if you arent a sub player. Hence the Free to Try model :) Lord of the Rings is the same. Classes restricted to free players. Class slots (i think both games have 4 per free account). Im pretty sure both games also have currency restrictions(to combat gold farmers) . They are simply free to try with a bunch of stuff you end up paying for one way or another(classes,character slots etc)

F2P is just a gimmick. In AOC i still play monthly sub because it is cheaper that way and i get bonus coins every month to spend on CS. If i just stick to playing it for free, it will end up costing me a lot more.

Who said anything about being free or not, the comment was if they sold digital copies for 50 bucks, then charged a subscription fee and had an ingame shop running.

they didn't all do that at once, I repeat they didn't all do that at once. Some of them flopped and dropped the sub in lew of a cash shop, some used different income models, but the bulk of mmos aren't doing both a subscription and a cash shop upon release.

Come on try and keep up.

Diablo 3?

~and GW2 is 60$.

The rule is that if you add any publisher that is full of shit into the picture, they will charge the maximum amount possible.

Everyone else charges "only" 50 bucks for their AAA titles digital downloads, so they are ok?

Rrrright...

Diablo 3?

~and GW2 is 60$.

Everyone else charges "only" 50 bucks for their AAA titles digital downloads, so they are ok?

Rrrright...

Oh, did I have a disclaimer that said digital downloads should be equal price to box copies?

My bad, I thought this was bizzaro world!

Who said anything about being free or not, the comment was if they sold digital copies for 50 bucks, then charged a subscription fee and had an ingame shop running.

they didn't all do that at once, I repeat they didn't all do that at once. Some of them flopped and dropped the sub in lew of a cash shop, some used different income models, but the bulk of mmos aren't doing both a subscription and a cash shop upon release.

Come on try and keep up.

You are comparing game releases now days to games that released 5-10+ years ago. That is the problem. 5 Years ago cosmetic upgrades and other optional stuff like Non-combat pets/mounts weren't really cared that much for from a company stand point.  Since games like Lord of the Rings and EQ2 and AoC started making profits on cosmetic gear and  WoW  started making millions off stuff like mounts and pets it became another option for a lot of games to release with. That is why you see optional cash shops launching with new games. The only problem is are those cash shops pay to win or strictly optional cosmetic stuff that has little effect on the others in the game that choose not to buy stuff.

I was just trying to correct you because you are wrong regarding your '50 bucks is ambitious for digital sales'. So calling me a noob is kind of ironic considering you paid a lot more for SWTOR.

Once you deal with EA everything else you say about other companies being ambitious with 50 bucks is just ..well..hilarious!

Dont start personal little punk insults with me, I will wash the SWTOR hang ups and EA hate outa your mouth with soap. Stay on topic or go haunt some place else.

I guess this guy doesn't know what 'irony' means. hahaha.

Got to love how you go on defensive mode as soon as i brought 60 bucks price for SWTOR. And yet you point fingers at other companies for being ambitious with 50 bucks for digital sales..yeah right. ;)

I am very much on topic but you are going offtrack with your insults. 

Yeah right i am the one who insuled you....

*rolls eyes*

Diablo 3?

~and GW2 is 60$.

Rrrright...

Oh, did I have a disclaimer that said digital downloads should be equal price to box copies?

My bad, I thought this was bizzaro world!

What is your point then? Everyone agreed that digital downloads should be cheaper. But they are not. The argument was if 50 bucks is "ambitious" for digital copy or not, considering the current pricing of digital copies.

The answer is no, it's not ambitious, it's more like standard or even cheap. Only indie games are cheaper than that.

Box copies in many cases are actually cheaper to get (even if the RRP is the same) than digital copies. Yes, it's absurd but what can you do, other than stop playing games (because pirating MMOs is not really an option - at least not at launch).

What is your point then? Everyone agreed that digital downloads should be cheaper. But they are not. The argument was if 50 bucks is "ambitious" for digital copy or not, considering the current pricing of digital copies.

The answer is no, it's not ambitious, it's more like standard or even cheap. Only indie games are cheaper than that.

Box copies in many cases are actually cheaper to get (even if the RRP is the same) than digital copies. Yes, it's absurd but what can you do, other than stop playing games (because pirating MMOs is not really an option - at least not at launch).

I said nothing about whether DigiDL should be cheaper or not, common sense should state it is.

My point was that major publishers will always charge top-dollar, that's all.

It's only recently that they even considered lowering the price of the digital versions by a paltry sum, whil most simply won't because they feel it would hurt box sales and their relationship with retailers.. Perhaps *you* are reading so far between the lines that you're seeing things that aren't there.