Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good single player game recommendation?

koolguytrikoolguytri Member Posts: 6

I'm kind of burnt out on MMO's. I need a good break from the grind and the raids. I think what I need now is a good single player game to keep me busy for awhile. Can anyone recommend me some good ones? I'm not picky, I play all games. Games I've played are:

The Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim

Dragons Dogma

Half Life 1&2, Portal 1&2

Shogun Total War

Neverwinter Nights

Dragon Age 1 and 2

Dark Souls

Call of Juarez : Bound in Blood

Assassins Creed (all of them)

Deus Ex (played original and Human Revlution.)

Psychonaughts

L4D

Fallout 3 and New Vegas

Diablo 3

I've tried to get into older games like Planescape Torment and Baldurs Gate, but I just can't do it. They are just too old for me. So any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Not played Skyrim? image

• koolguytrikoolguytri Member Posts: 6

Oh yeah of course I've played the Elder Scrolls. Forgot to put that in.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

BioShock is one I turned up lately that seems interesting and unique.  It got good reviews too.

Best described as a bizzaro first person shooter RPG.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I agree..... Bioshock would be a great one.

I envy you getting to play it for the first time.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• chinpukamonchinpukamon Member Posts: 5

yeah Planescape and Blauders get are old but take a second look at em...so much depth storywise cmpared to RPG's nowadays. Planscape is still one of my top 5 games I have played...so much fun being good on 1st playthrough making friends XD and getting most of the story.  Then being evil 2nd time around and killing everyone I pretty much met MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

If you like a good story, I'd recommend Mafia 2. It's set in an open world, and although it's pretty linear with not much to do aside from the main story missions, the gameplay and story are top notch and should take you about 8 - 10 hours to complete. I was sad when the game ended, I wanted more.

Also, you might wanna try Darksiders. Extremely underrated game IMO. If you get it on PC, it's clearly a console port, but a pretty good one I think.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Get on your playstation 3 and DL Chrono Trigger :)

I find the old school console RPG games to be much funner and the storyline is more engaging.

Sword of Vermillion

Shining in the Darkness

Shining Force 2 & 3

Phantasy Star 1 through 4

Golden Axe Warrior

Zelda series

Ultima series

Final Fantasy Series

The Wizardry series (Crusaders of the Dark Savant was my favorite)

Heroes Of Might and Magic series

etc etc!

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by koolguytri

Oh yeah of course I've played the Elder Scrolls. Forgot to put that in.

Phewwwww! I was going to say! :D

Ok my recomendations are as follows.

Mass Effect 1-3 as a trilogy.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Grand Theft Auto IV

Any Stalker game.

Bioshock

Amnesia The dark descent.

That should keep you ocupied. :)

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Any older Tom Clancy Ghost Recon series

Farcry

Farcry 2

Civilization series

Max Payne series

Company of Heroes

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Mount and Blade: Warband, or the similar blast-from-the-past, Sid Meier's Pirates!: Live the Life.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Thank you everyone for the replies. I think I'll give Bioshock a try. It looks fun. I'll also give Planescape Torment another try. I keep hearing good things about it. 

I also played Amnesia not too long ago.. I got like half way and I just had to stop. It was just too scary!!

Originally posted by Quailman

If you like a good story, I'd recommend Mafia 2. It's set in an open world, and although it's pretty linear with not much to do aside from the main story missions, the gameplay and story are top notch and should take you about 8 - 10 hours to complete. I was sad when the game ended, I wanted more.

Also, you might wanna try Darksiders. Extremely underrated game IMO. If you get it on PC, it's clearly a console port, but a pretty good one I think.

I have played both of those and loved them. Darksiders is definitely an underrated game. 

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Chrono trigger! That game was epic! Chrono cross was good too! Umm...Legend of Mana....

Krater comes to mind as well....

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Divinity 2:DKS

Risen 1 and 2

Two Worlds 2

Stalker series

Arx Fatalis

Lost Odyssey

Last Remnant

Drakensang series

Nothing else that hasn't already been mentioned comes to mind for now, all of these except perhaps Arx Fatalis are fairly modern though. In fairness to Arx though, it has extremely fun RPG mechanics and a great atmosphere, even compared to modern games. I consider the magic system one of the best i've played.

edti: I believe both Risen games have demos you can try before buying.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

golden sun 1 and 2, for gameboy advanced. If you dont have one then get it with a gba emulator(visual boy advanced) for pc. Very good games and fun games. Also any rpg from the "Tales" series is awesome

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Arx Fatalis

Oooo, I remember that one. Was basically like a post-Morrowind upgrade to the TES formula.

There was also a rumor that if you exit the one locked door to the surface, and can survive the extreme cold damage through potions, spells and other buffs, you can get a different ending.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Did I miss it somewhere or did no one list The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings?  What?!  What?!  WHAT?!?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

You could try morrowind. In my opinion it's better than oblvion and skyrim but it might be a bit old school for you. No pointers telling you where to go, that type of thing. However, there is a graphics update (you'll have to do a search and follow the instructions) that helps. It's very large in scope with lots to discover. And you can actually join a vampire faction and do vampire quests.

Otherwise Amnesia for a very scary game

Witcher 1 and 2

Dark Messiah is pretty cool. Sort of a first person fantasy game, very beautiful and very viscious combat. Linear though.

Mass effect games.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Castillle

Chrono trigger! That game was epic! Chrono cross was good too! Umm...Legend of Mana....

I haven't checked if there's an emulator to play this or not, but Secret of Mana was one of my all-time favorites!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_Mana

Current fans of The Secret World will see some similarities in the "Ring Menu" system.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Hmm SP games (randomly looking through my Steam game list)....if you like RTSish type games you could check out Crusader Kings II.  Really fun and deep strategy game.  You might like Mount and Blade: Warband single player (MP is better for me though).  Civilizaion V just came out with an expansion, although I am not a big fan of the game. 

If you buy Torchlight 2, you get copy of Torchlight 1 to play in the meantime, which is a fun game imo.  TL2 comes out the summer.  L. A. Noire is on sale right now on Steam for $5.  Really good game if you like Rockstar games or detective type stories.  Whatever you do though, before you buy a game at full price, keep in mind Steam will be having a huge sale soon (their summer seal), if you aren't averse to using it.  Not sure when though.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Dark Souls - Best Single Player game since Ocarina of Time. Check it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by BartDaCat
    Originally posted by Castillle

I haven't checked if there's an emulator to play this or not, but Secret of Mana was one of my all-time favorites!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_Mana

Current fans of The Secret World will see some similarities in the "Ring Menu" system.

there are snes emulators to play all snes roms(games). i had a gazillion snes roms with 2 emulators (chrono trigger and secret of mana included).

coolrom dot com for all that good old stuff

edit: and psone emulators as well like emuraiden and epsx or something like that

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Mass Effect Trilogy 

Batman Arkham Asylum & Arkham City (Highly recommend if you liked Assassin's Creed, hes practially a modern day assassin :P)

Dark Souls (PS3, PC uses GFWL, which is terribad)

Witcher 2, best RPG with great graphics and art style

Borderlands (open world fps rpg with a heavy loot focus like Diablo)

Bioshock series (I didn't fall in love with it, but it has a very unique style to the game, a bit of fallout gameplay, but not sandbox, and underwater city)

Indie:

Bastion (free on google chrome web store I think)

Limbo

Journey (PS3 exclusive)

If you want online gameplay but not MMO,

League of Legends

Battlefield 3 (the only online shooter I would borderline recommend, shooters have too much of dlc, premium bullshit status)

Starcraft II

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Atom31Atom31 Member Posts: 3

If you're up for an RPG, try Witcher 2 - great graphics, story and very imersive atmosphere, also challanging combat system on higher levels (not your tipical button basher, like AC). Highly recommended!

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Krater. It's an RPG/RTS and you can pretty much craft anything you want. Oh and also Random Dungeons!! Because we all love that!