Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are people going back to Rift?

2»

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by pongdun

Hi guys.. again thanks for answering and sharing your points of view! :)

I was wondering.. why are people going back to Rift? I do like Rift a lot in fact... and when Tera came out I played it and realized that it sucks... but I didn't think at the time that players would go back to Rift... what you think?????

1.  Because they like it or have guild members there.

2.  Most MMO gamers are caught in the "buy the new game mode" where they spend money on a game wishing that X Y or Z that they "hate" or "want better" in the game they left is better in the new game.  Only to find that the game they left is what they should have been been playing all along.

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81

Guys really thank you for all the answers... a lot of them... very nice!

Based on what you said and what I think:

Why Rift is the best MMO at the moment:

- Trion just listen to it's playerbase and make game for them.

- Rift has awesome gameplay

- Leveling is just perfect! You can level much faster than any other but not sooo fast that it will be stupid, its perfect!

About the PVP I realised that PVP is much better in low levels, I'm leveling a Rogue and until 20 the PVP as awesome, it feels more balanced.

I know other games like GW2 will affect Rift, but I really hope it survives and go on.. cause Trion, in my opinion, is the best company when it comes to customer service (even for foreigners), new content development, interface and customization. I really hope to see all that in future games if they want to win!

Thank you all!
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I know other games like GW2 will affect Rift, but I really hope it survives and go on.. cause Trion, in my opinion, is the best company when it comes to customer service (even for foreigners), new content development, interface and customization. I really hope to see all that in future games if they want to win!

Thank you all!

If Trion makes an MMORPG thats is about the journey and not the destination (and especially gear grind) I would be first in line to preorder.  To me Rift is everything that is wrong with current MMORPGs (linear, soul-less world, ridiculous currency gear grinds, strictly tiered raiding with fast gear replacement, very little concern with immersion, click and combine for an autmoatic skill up craft system, recycled content), but Trion will hopefully learn and their next MMORPG (not RTS or FPS) will be amazing.

Originally posted by Zippy
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Istavaan

It is still in its essence a dungeon grinder/raiding mmo like 90% of the mmo's out there, and the quest chain system is enough to drive a man insane.

THe quest system was my biggest beef with the game also....It just feels so generic.

90% of MMOs?  There are only 4  MMOS with supported progression raiding Rift, EQ2, andWoW.  

Rift is essentially the sequel to EQ2/Vanguard.

You forgot EQ1.  EQ1 stll probably gets the most raid content out of any of the games.

And no, Rift is absolutely NOTHING like Vanguard.  They couldn't be more different.  EQ2, in some ways but its really more like a sequel to WOTLK, it has the most in common with that era of WoW.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by teakbois

Thank you all!

If Trion makes an MMORPG thats is about the journey and not the destination (and especially gear grind) I would be first in line to preorder.  To me Rift is everything that is wrong with current MMORPGs (linear, soul-less world, ridiculous currency gear grinds, strictly tiered raiding with fast gear replacement, very little concern with immersion, click and combine for an autmoatic skill up craft system, recycled content), but Trion will hopefully learn and their next MMORPG (not RTS or FPS) will be amazing.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/602/feature/6460

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412
    Originally posted by teakbois

It is still in its essence a dungeon grinder/raiding mmo like 90% of the mmo's out there, and the quest chain system is enough to drive a man insane.

THe quest system was my biggest beef with the game also....It just feels so generic.

90% of MMOs?  There are only 4  MMOS with supported progression raiding Rift, EQ2, andWoW.  

Rift is essentially the sequel to EQ2/Vanguard.

You forgot EQ1.  EQ1 stll probably gets the most raid content out of any of the games.

And no, Rift is absolutely NOTHING like Vanguard.  They couldn't be more different.  EQ2, in some ways but its really more like a sequel to WOTLK, it has the most in common with that era of WoW.

In many ways I agree with you that Rift is not like Vanguard .  Horizontally it is not like vanguard with Vgs 4 zones for each level area broad content with crafting, diplomcy and adventuring.  But its raiding is a sequel to Vanguard with the VG dev that designed and ran the testing for APW and its raiding is what VG should have been if the game had actually been supported.  HK shares a lot of similarities with APW.  VG IMO could have been the ultimate game if only Sigil was allowed to finish the game.  Such a shame.  But Vgs failure and its development problems had an influence on Hartsman and Rifts development.  Also keep in mind almost all the guilds chosen for Rift's Alpha (Silky Venom, Trinity, Enigma, Brotherhood of the Spider, BoW and more) were from VanguardI.  It was these guilds that first tested all the dungeons and GSB and had a large influence on Rifts development. 

I agree Rifts influence influence and design is more EQ2 with Hartsman.  EQ2 even though it did very poorly at release recovered thanks to hartsman pumping tons of content into the game and its focus on raiding.  While Rift had a very good release hartsman has kept the same philosphy of pumping tons of content into the game and growing it leaps and bounds with a primary focus on raiding.   In regards to EQ1 its raiding now they get an expansion get one raid then wait a year get another expansion I would not call that supported raiding and given its age I would not think its viable alternative for most raiders so they are essentially only 3 supported raid games left Rift, EQ2, and WoW.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Because Trion is busting their @$$es to make this game good.
    AFAIK, this is the only sub fee based AAA title that has no sponsored RMT.
    For me, that's HUGE! I played Anarchy Online after they implemented a full Item Shop and players just used it to resell and make credits as well as obtaining OFAB (PVP) armor. I ended up quitting the game since it really has gone full Pay to Win. Hearsay, on my part I never bothered to waste my time confirming, but I understand WoW has items you can resell ingame too. I hate that garbage. It also happens to be my biggest "wait and see" bone of contention about Gw2.

In my MMO, I really want equal opportunity. I am OK with someone else overpowering me with gear if he busted his @$$ to get it. Everyone in Rift is where they are because they worked hard for it....or not.
  • ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

Hi guys.. again thanks for answering and sharing your points of view! :)

I was wondering.. why are people going back to Rift? I do like Rift a lot in fact... and when Tera came out I played it and realized that it sucks... but I didn't think at the time that players would go back to Rift... what you think?????

ummm, becasue they want to i suppose, geesh.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Because Trion is busting their @$$es to make this game good. AFAIK, this is the only sub fee based AAA title that has no sponsored RMT. For me, that's HUGE! I played Anarchy Online after they implemented a full Item Shop and players just used it to resell and make credits as well as obtaining OFAB (PVP) armor. I ended up quitting the game since it really has gone full Pay to Win. Hearsay, on my part I never bothered to waste my time confirming, but I understand WoW has items you can resell ingame too. I hate that garbage. It also happens to be my biggest "wait and see" bone of contention about Gw2. In my MMO, I really want equal opportunity. I am OK with someone else overpowering me with gear if he busted his @$$ to get it. Everyone in Rift is where they are because they worked hard for it....or not.

the red portion i have thought myself.  rift is a great game that is only getting better over time, what Trion does may not be up everyone's alley but i see a developer that is absolutely trying to give its playerbase the content they actually want and i respect that.

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161

Today they're putting Instant Adventures in lower level zones with the 1.9 patch, so while the original questing is there, alternatives are available as well for those leveling. It may not solve all quest woes, but it's a tangible step in the right direction.

Which, in a nutshell, is why I think people keep coming back to Rift. Trion listens, learns, and steadily implements thoughtful changes that better the game without rocking the boat too fast, too hard. 

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Couple things really. Trion is a great company that listens to their customer base and consitantly produce content. Look up 1.8 and the upcoming 1.9 for some of the great ideas they have implemented in the game.

Also, this new expansion they announced sounds amazing. Thats the primary reason I'm back. To get my rogue up to snuff and ready for the expac. Private Slivers (aka instanced housing pretty much), tripling the landmass, and a whole lot more.

This will def be my sub game while I will be playing GW2 with some friends.

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Having played every big name MMO released since Rift, I'm tempted.  It was the best out of all of them, no question.  One disappointment after another, while I really enjoyed Rift - for about a month.

..but then I hated the endgame, and hated that there were only four classes, and customization was minimal.  My character was too cookie-cutter for me to feel much of an attachment to, since everyone was a jack-of-all-trades, and just seemed like there was nothing to do but grind for equipment, which just doesn't appeal to me.  So not going back, even though I'd say it blows these other recent MMOs like TOR, TERA, and TSW out of the water.

Keeping an eye on it though.  Maybe I'll give it a second chance eventually.  Especially if they ever get around to addressing my main issues with it.

TOR and TERA maybe but no way TSW. I played Rift too, same as the rest. TSW is certainly pushing for different ideas it seems.

In many ways I agree with you that Rift is not like Vanguard .  Horizontally it is not like vanguard with Vgs 4 zones for each level area broad content with crafting, diplomcy and adventuring.  But its raiding is a sequel to Vanguard with the VG dev that designed and ran the testing for APW and its raiding is what VG should have been if the game had actually been supported.  HK shares a lot of similarities with APW.  VG IMO could have been the ultimate game if only Sigil was allowed to finish the game.  Such a shame.  

You forgot the VGs combat was more interesting as well.  

Sigil would NEVER have been able to release a different game.  The Vanguard code was a complete disaster, Sigil just couldnt translate into code what they wanted to achieve.  

Raiding is such a small portion of the game.  I see as much WoW design in Rift's aiding as I do any other game.  

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Was the first fantasy mmo to make me enjoy pvp. I will go back in a month or 2.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by monarc333

Couple things really. Trion is a great company that listens to their customer base and consitantly produce content. Look up 1.8 and the upcoming 1.9 for some of the great ideas they have implemented in the game.

Also, this new expansion they announced sounds amazing. Thats the primary reason I'm back. To get my rogue up to snuff and ready for the expac. Private Slivers (aka instanced housing pretty much), tripling the landmass, and a whole lot more.

This will def be my sub game while I will be playing GW2 with some friends.

Thx for the post. Wasn't aware of this.

I will check that for sure.

I ever BioWare would have half the brain of Trion *sad_panda_face*

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81

Like I said I'm back to Rift and its good... would be even better with more players, that game is solid... for real!

The new patch will be awesome... want them to release it fast :P

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

if youre going back to rift for conquest good luck with that its the same ol crap with new factions and nothing at all fun about it. They still didnt fix the fundamental flaws with their terrible pvp system.  Rift pve on the other hand is okay , and being this patch has zero pve content really you will see the same exact thing like with all Rifts lifespan. People rushing back for a patch only to leave once again a week later.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by cronius77

if youre going back to rift for conquest good luck with that its the same ol crap with new factions and nothing at all fun about it. They still didnt fix the fundamental flaws with their terrible pvp system.  Rift pve on the other hand is okay , and being this patch has zero pve content really you will see the same exact thing like with all Rifts lifespan. People rushing back for a patch only to leave once again a week later.

I just had a conversation on another forum with someone who "claims" to have tested the content in the upcoming release.  He told me almost exactly what you stated in your post above.

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by cronius77

Actually this patch has a new 10man Raid, which is harder that RoTP. Plus there's a new event as well.