Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone still tempted to buy the lifetime sub?

Comments

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

People who buy lifetime subs in 2012 really don't know much about the MMO industry or gaming trends in general.

The notion that you will only play 1 MMO and no other games for many years is completely nonsensical these days.

A proper gamer will consume a MMO's content in a month or two, unsub and take a month or two off to play other games and return once there is more content. Playing just 1 game all the time makes no sense when there are so many quality games of multiple genres out at the same time.

The only people who stick around in 1 MMO after clearing all content with nothing to do are the no-lifers who don't do anything else (they're the ones hanging around stormwind/orgrimmar 2-3 weeks before a new tier, just idling at the bank/AH) and also don't play other games when they've exhausted their "current MMO" - and that's really not a healthy way to game.

I highlighted the parts that make you sound very condescending.

Please don't imply that your way to game is the only way to game, it typically rubs people the wrong way.

Also your whole post falls flat on its face when you consider the fact that subscribing to an MMORPG doesn't mean you can't play other games. I've only met one person that actually ONLY played the MMORPG they subscribed to. And I divorced her.

.. But in a good way.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Blacknd

People who buy lifetime subs in 2012 really don't know much about the MMO industry or gaming trends in general.

The notion that you will only play 1 MMO and no other games for many years is completely nonsensical these days.

A proper gamer will consume a MMO's content in a month or two, unsub and take a month or two off to play other games and return once there is more content. Playing just 1 game all the time makes no sense when there are so many quality games of multiple genres out at the same time.

The only people who stick around in 1 MMO after clearing all content with nothing to do are the no-lifers who don't do anything else (they're the ones hanging around stormwind/orgrimmar 2-3 weeks before a new tier, just idling at the bank/AH) and also don't play other games when they've exhausted their "current MMO" - and that's really not a healthy way to game.

Please don't imply that your way to game is the only way to game, it typically rubs people the wrong way.

Also your whole post falls flat on its face when you consider the fact that subscribing to an MMORPG doesn't mean you can't play other games. I've only met one person that actually ONLY played the MMORPG they subscribed to. And I divorced her.

I just tire of seeing the people standing around these days in Orgrimmar doing nothing, wasting their time in a game where nothing is happening (WoW is in "waiting for expansion" phase right now) rather than going out and either doing something else or having fun playing other games.

The whole notion of "I am subbed to WoW so I only play WoW" is really detrimental to the actual fun people have, and it's a psychology that also breeds that fanboy resistance to any other games that WoW players are well known for.

I think if people  would vary their gaming habits and experience multiple games and genres, we would end up with a gaming audience that is more discerning and more fluid, and companies could no longer get away with shoddy incomplete products released early for box sales - and that is a relevant factor here, as it was for SWTOR and other MMOs.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Blacknd

I just tire of seeing the people standing around these days in Orgrimmar doing nothing, wasting their time in a game where nothing is happening (WoW is in "waiting for expansion" phase right now) rather than going out and either doing something else or having fun playing other games.

The whole notion of "I am subbed to WoW so I only play WoW" is really detrimental to the actual fun people have, and it's a psychology that also breeds that fanboy resistance to any other games that WoW players are well known for.

I think if people  would vary their gaming habits and experience multiple games and genres, we would end up with a gaming audience that is more discerning and more fluid, and companies could no longer get away with shoddy incomplete products released early for box sales - and that is a relevant factor here, as it was for SWTOR and other MMOs.

I agree with everything you posted. My solution thusfar has been to introduce my fellow gamers to Steam. With the summer sales, it works very nicely. The exposure to indie projects is also nice.

Really though, my ex-wife fit the "I am subbed to WoW so I only play WoW" bill perfectly.

.. But in a good way.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Lots of the people that are buying lifetime subs are people that will only really play one game a year or less and play it casually. I have a guy in my guild that is a lifetime sub of LOTRO and for years that was all he played regularly, a few hours a day at the very most so he's never going to burn through the game like a hardcore gamer and he will always have access to it.

A lot of people seem to think that the people buying lifetimes are 16 year olds with the time to play 12 hours a day, when in reality its more than likely people over 25 with a full time job and a family and they want to invest in one game to stick with for the long haul.

I do agree with people saying that more gamers should vary there game playing habits though, steam sales are great as are the humble bundles. Playing more than one game will also save you from getting burnt out on whatever your current MMO is too, I am more likely to stay subbed to a game for longer if I am also playing other games in between rather than just playing one game hardcore for a month and then ditching it.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Lots of the people that are buying lifetime subs are people that will only really play one game a year or less and play it casually. I have a guy in my guild that is a lifetime sub of LOTRO and for years that was all he played regularly, a few hours a day at the very most so he's never going to burn through the game like a hardcore gamer and he will always have access to it.

A lot of people seem to think that the people buying lifetimes are 16 year olds with the time to play 12 hours a day, when in reality its more than likely people over 25 with a full time job and a family and they want to invest in one game to stick with for the long haul.

I do agree with people saying that more gamers should vary there game playing habits though, steam sales are great as are the humble bundles. Playing more than one game will also save you from getting burnt out on whatever your current MMO is too, I am more likely to stay subbed to a game for longer if I am also playing other games in between rather than just playing one game hardcore for a month and then ditching it.

You have a good point I also have several Life-Time subs and although I quit playing LOTR, I think TSW was designed to go F2p and Funcom is just sucking up as much money befor hand. We will find out in a few days how good the launch will be.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119

I was tempted for a moment to buy life time sub. But at the end I pre-ordered regular version for 50$. Simply because I'm not sure if I will be playing TSW more than for few months or even weeks.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Ah, so YOU play MMO's like single player games, and anyone else that doesn't is doing it "wrong" ?

I don't play MMO's to "beat the game", i.e. consume all content and reach level-cap. I play them because I enjoy the levelling and gameplay. My "slow" style of playing usually means that I can play one MMO (that I really enjoy) for a long time, because by the time I'm approaching level-cap, the next expansion is released.

I play games where I can immerse myself, use my imagination and RP a bit on the side. I play for the journey, not the destination.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Blacknd My solution thusfar has been to introduce my fellow gamers to Steam. With the summer sales, it works very nicely. The exposure to indie projects is also nice.

Even though I don't plan to play it right now, I just picked up the Deus Ex package off Steam. That was on my wishlist already. Happy to stockpile that for future gaming pleasure :)

EDIT: In answer to the OP;) I finally decided to get the regular pre-order, since I didn't play the beta at all. However, I have to say I was totally against Funcom (-- for reasons I won't bore you with here, and villians EA as distributor), but I changed my mind based on how fun the PvP vids looked to me. Anyway, I figure I will get some fun learning about a new game world. If I love the game and they leave the lifetime sub option up for a couple of months, I will re-consider.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

after aoc i cant see how anyone would buy a lifetime sub from this company

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

You have a good point I also have several Life-Time subs and although I quit playing LOTR, I think TSW was designed to go F2p and Funcom is just sucking up as much money befor hand. We will find out in a few days how good the launch will be.

My personal opinion on lifetime subs is that they are designed to grab as much money as possible up front, you can never predict what will happen in the future so if these companies can sell someone "lifetime" subscription for $200 or whatever then they will do that.

I would never buy a lifetime sub for any game that costs more than 1 years sub and currently they all cost more than that, even if i was to play one game for more than a year I think id have at least 3 months off from playing here and there so the lifetime sub is going to take me at least 2 years for it to pay for itself. 

2 years in an industry like this is a very long time, things are changing rapidly still I think investing $200 or more in one single game nowadays is a bad move.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by azmundai

after aoc i cant see how anyone would buy a lifetime sub from this company

I have played the closed beta for quite close to three months, that's the reason for me. ;)

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    Originally posted by namelessbob

So far every game to offer a lifetime subscription has gone free to play within 18months of release. If you plan on playing those full 18 months then it may be worth it. If you don't plan on playing that time period then no it isn't worth it.

So if this is true, then having the life time is the right choice, becouse it saves you $59.69.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

I've never been able to pull the trigger on a lifetime sub.  Just too superstitious.  One day you buy the lifetime sub, the next...BAM! Hit by a bus.  No thank you.

Isn't their choice of what they do or play?

You proble would not enjoy it if someone told you that you do not know what you are doing, playing your MMORPG or game of choice, its not your money they spend.

I tend to play MMORPG's for 2 or more years on average (some I have played for 5-6 years), but I have a family, job, work, sometimes go see movies image etc. and I mostly play only one MMORPG at a time.

So by you that is no life?

What do you think "a life" is?

Relax, and have a cooled one, things will be as they are, and people will do as they want, don't let it get to you.

Originally posted by ChicagoCub

I've never been able to pull the trigger on a lifetime sub.  Just too superstitious.  One day you buy the lifetime sub, the next...BAM! Hit by a bus.  No thank you.

LOL

Where I live, it would go:

One day you don't buy the lifetime sub, the next...BAM! Hit by a bus. An hour after that, someone else is using your credt card to buy a life sub and you did not get to play at all. 

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

You're way off here and to say things like (A proper gamer is just ignorant)!

I bought the Lotro lifetime for $199 and have played on and off for 5 yrs.It allows me the freedom to play the game at will without having to re-up my sub to do it.The game has been out over 60 month's now and I've been receiving 500 pts a month for the Lotro shop ever since it went ftp.In fact I got over 2000 when the ftp wen't live.At this point it's around 12k point's just from that,that's about $80-$100 worth of point's plus I've played when I want for 5+ yrs.

There's people playing pure ftp games that spend well over $200 in a years time just buying what they want from the cash shop of those games.I've run into people saying they spent over $1000 on a ftp game,So how in the world is $200 life a bad deal?

It's ok to have a different opinion but to act like someone buying a life acct in 2012 is nonsense and then acting like what you think is the proper way is way off base.

• GuardianwulfGuardianwulf Member Posts: 4

After Beta testing for a couple months with a  couple hundred hours playing, I just bought the lifetime sub. Money well spent both because I am enjoying the game tremendously, and because I want to see Funcom produce more products that go out on a limb and try to create visually stunning games targetting adult gamers. 

I don't get the rage over paying subs, quite frankly. This is a business and an industry where good developers and innovation cost money. If you stop paying for it, then you have no right to complain over boring cookie cutter productions and games that have no support after initial marketing.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

in my 8 year old MMO gamer life, I played 2 different MMOs (4 years each), so I'm looking for the next 4 years in TSW. thank god they are offering a life time sub, more MMOs should do that, not everyone is a game jumper.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by rpgalon

in my 8 year old MMO gamer life, I played 2 different MMOs (4 years each), so I'm looking for the next 4 years in TSW. thank god they are offering a life time sub, more MMOs should do that, not everyone is a game jumper.

Not to mention it's a pretty good deal, considering for almost the same amount, I can subscribe for just ONE year of RIFT (which I did).

I honestly see myself playing this for a prolonged period of time.  Beta Weekend #3 really hooked me, and after seeing so many fixes in the TestLive build, I'm convinced that this game is going to be in great shape come Early Access on Friday.

I honestly didn't think I'd care for it.  I'm usually more of a "fantasy" genre MMORPG player, but this brought a great deal of "dark fantasy" into a modern, mature setting that I'm really enjoying.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

After winning $650 today during my yearly trip to the casino (and having a few drinks to celebrate) I bought the lifetime.  I really enjoyed what I saw in the beta.

Back to celebrating.image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

That's the way I feel about them. To me Lifetime Subs scream ponzi scheme. Im curious how everyone in STO feels about their lifetime subs now that the game is pay to win.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

I bought a lifer sub today and don't regret it one bit!  I kicked myself for not buying the Lotro lifer as I was into my 3rd year of paying a sub for that game.  As someone else said, I think TSW will do fine because it caters to a select few who will make TSW their permanent home. 

I get bored way too fast of playing the same class day in and day out, and I hate repeating everything I've already accomplished so I can run that particular end game dungeon with another class.  As long as I'm happy with my faction, there's absolutely no reason to roll an alt and I couldn't be any happier.

Word on the streets say I'm not the only one with the above pet peev, and those like minded will flock to TSW.  I have full confidence that TSW will go at least 2 years before F2P meaning I will have paid just over $8/month over the 1st two years for a kick arse game!

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Vutar

Who on earth would buy a lifetime sub for a game that shouldn't even have a sub?

The people who thinks its a good deal. And plz tell me why it should't have a sub...oh, wait, nm. you will say you think the game sucks and therefore should not have a sub

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by ktanner3

That's the way I feel about them. To me Lifetime Subs scream ponzi scheme. Im curious how everyone in STO feels about their lifetime subs now that the game is pay to win.

If you get hit by a bus the day after buying a lifetime sub...

1.  You died, therefore not missing that $199.  They don't burn your money with your bones!

2. You lived, therefore you'll be home for quite some time recovering after your release from the hospital.  Thank goodness you have a kick arse game to play.  Also, it may take some time to collect from the insurance company and funds may be tight until you do so thank goodness you already paid for the game and don't have to spend another cent on it!

Just looking at the glass half full!

• LateBrake1LateBrake1 Member Posts: 54

I went ahead and bought the lifetime($200 after cost of the original game) sub for a few reasons:

1.  I just like knowing I'll never ever get billed for this game. Yes it could go FTP or I may stop playing in in 6 months which would mean I'm out about $125(5 months (you get 1st month free) * $15 would cost $75).

2. Not much else on the horizon I'm interested in. GW2 which I've been playing in beta is good but kinda burned out on the fantasy them MMO and enjoy the breaking of the mold that TSW has. TESO I'm also looking forward to but it's a ways off.

3. I enjoy PvP and unlike SWTOR I know this game can handle large scale 100v100v100 PvP since I've played it in beta so that alone would guarntee at least 6 months. So far my beta experience has been good in PvP, 3 faction PvP makes a huge difference.

4. With the skill system and my personal playtime I know it will be months and months before I unlock all the skills to try out of which there are 535(or so). Since 2nd tier elite skills cost 50AP(points you generate from xp/quests) it will take me maybe 3 or 4 days of causual play just to get 1 elite skill of which there are 63 I believe in the game. Not that I necessarily would need to unlock everything but I enjoy trying different weapons so it's something to constantly work on.

5. On the upside I could not play for 6 months, come back 6 months later and just download and play, no credit card activation or anything like that.  This game, IMO, is so superior technologically, visually and performance wise to SWTOR(the other biggie out there) it's not even funny.

On that subject they just put out a blog on their server technology basically stating that you can group up and play with anyone from any server in any fascet of the game except their persistent 24/7 PvP zone(since that gives buffs tied to your server). Even things like the auction house are server independent meaning if you put an item on the AH, everyone from all servers see it.

link: http://thesecretworld.com/news/blog_single_server_technology_in_the_secret_world

6. Most important I'm NOT unemployed NOR living in mom's basement -)

Am I a fanboy? Maybe, but I know this will still be about the cost of a couple nights out on the town.