Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conan - Most mature MMO ever?

pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

Is it the first MMO to ever get a M raiting?

Wont it hurt sales? now with M games being banned from stores like wallMart and so on?

I think its pretty sweet that this game won't be cookie cutter fantasy but actually dark and gory.... should help awake more emotions into the player. the more brutal, the more care and seriousness in the storyline.

Comments

• ThedoThedo Member Posts: 2

As I understand it an M rating in USA is 17+. Walmart ban games with an Adult rating (18+).

I'm all for the M rating however. A more dark, sinister, real setting is most welcome in my book. Not to mention you will hopefully get a more mature community.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

The M rating is key for me. If I want to play a lightweight PG rated fantasy I can play WoW. Also, the the more mature realistic graphics will be a nice switch from World of Warcraft too.

If they get the basics down, like the interface and the combat, this game could be a real joy to play. The Conan universe accurately represented as an MMO would grab my attention.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• futbolfeverfutbolfever Member Posts: 3
    I agree fully. I'm tired of babysitting in parties when someone's mommy needs them. Also games that cut content out to appease the rating boards are lame. If you're going to make a gory and most beautiful game in a dark world. Keep it dark! Eff ratings, give us what we want! If this game continues on track, I'll be buying it on it's release date.
  • RagalornRagalorn Member Posts: 75

This is the best news yet for this game.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Think about it, whats the average age of most MMO players.
    Well since most need credit cards to play.
    I'd put the average age at between 19-25 as the largest group.

Its about time someone started catering to older players and giving it a M rating instead of a 'teen'.
    Yes there are younger players (under 17) but most of them play consoles.
    Its dad or the older brother who play on the computer.

It was the fact that it said M rating is why I started following this games development.
    I want a more gritty, dark, dirty, scary, realistic world.

Looked at WoW once and it was so cartoon like I shruged my shoulders and never looked back.
    Give me a game that adults play for adults.
    If I wanted a teen game I'd play Halo. (and I dont have an X-Box)

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• trajan22trajan22 Member Posts: 91

i'm glad it is mature and hopefully won't attract the type of immature players that other mmos have.

judging from the age of teh poisters on the official forum, i'd say the age of teh average poster is close to 30. of course age is not always a sign of maturity, but it is a good indicator of how the playerbase is tracking.

• Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292

I like the idea of playing a game that is more true to a barbaric and dark age that Age of Conan is going for. "Dark Age of Camelot"'s name makes me wonder, what is truly "dark age" about this game? Players have their own secure houses, transportation is mostly instant (something even modern soceity hasn't developed yet), and most everyone is wealthy at the end game.

I hope Age of Conan makes me feel I'm in a dark age of humanity and let me see it in game.

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

i agree with almost everyone on this topic...... however, if my memory servers me right..... i think i read that this game will be free to play.

all i have to say about that is.... watch out for the kiddies because they will be all over the place. unless they come up with some way to keep them out like having people register with a cc or some other form of id to prove they are 17+....image

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• icecrossicecross Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by angerr
    i agree with almost everyone on this topic...... however, if my memory servers me right..... i think i read that this game will be free to play.image

For the first 20 levels the game will not be played on line / in multiplayer and can thus be called free.. but once the multiplayer part kicks in it will e a normal fee I guess...

• KorunKorun Member Posts: 2

A morpg rating M is great. But since the content is exactly what blood & gore lusting hooligans want I´m afraid they find a way to play it anyway. A better protection against oure local underage animal people would be an infantile content like in some asian morpgs I guess.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

Originally posted by Lunar_Knight
    I like the idea of playing a game that is more true to a barbaric and dark age that Age of Conan is going for. "Dark Age of Camelot"'s name makes me wonder, what is truly "dark age" about this game? Players have their own secure houses, transportation is mostly instant (something even modern soceity hasn't developed yet), and most everyone is wealthy at the end game.
    I hope Age of Conan makes me feel I'm in a dark age of humanity and let me see it in game.

That is a good point about playing in a " dark age". I hope Conan does carry over a dark feel about it. You don't want it so dark that it is depressing to play but security, comfort, and wealth should be the exception rather than the norm.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

Originally posted by LuckyDucky

...exception rather than the norm.

Thats a very good way to put it. Of course there would be the occasional "fat cat" in each city, but the average barbarian wouldn't have a lot of earthly possesions and wealth.

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

Originally posted by Korun
    A morpg rating M is great. But since the content is exactly what blood & gore lusting hooligans want I´m afraid they find a way to play it anyway. A better protection against oure local underage animal people would be an infantile content like in some asian morpgs I guess.

C'mon we all know GTA, Diablo, and Quake 3 are all played by mature adults.::::36::

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

Originally posted by Ragalorn

This is the best news yet for this game.

This was one mmorpg I wasn't paying much attention too, until I read  this news!  I will keep an eye on it now for sure.
  • werdowerdo Member Posts: 8

My freinds little brother is 8 and was playing gta with the sex mod.  His parents went and bought it for him. his mom sits there and watches too.

Im not joking, neither am I saying that this is normal.  Just pointing out that underage people will play the game someway or another.  Probably not as many as other mmos but im guessing that this game will have its share of younger players.

Also, I have seen age 30 players that behave just as immature, and in some cases more so than a 15 year old player. Ive played several mmos and the maturity level varied from person to person regardless of age. I dunno mayb its just me, maybe didnt meet a wide enough range of playersimage. Just saying, we cant realy tell till the game is released.

It's all too true too. I used to work at a store that sold video games and I was completely repulsed by what some parents bought for their VERY young children (I'm talking like 4-6 years old).  I tried all the time to tell parents that were buying Mature rated games such as GTA: SA what content the game had in it, hoping they were buying the game for their kid out of ignorance rather then apathy. Sometimes parents just didn't know what the game was, other times I think they just got embarrassed when I said what the game had in it out loud so other customers could hear, but SO MANY times parents just didn't care.

So I do believe we will have a problem with some kids younger then they shoud be in the game, the M rating will help but it probably isn't going to keep out the majority of the kids that would play this game anyway.

• DigableDDigableD Member Posts: 71

I'm extremely happy Conan will be rated M. Why? a much more mature fan base, finally us old people may be able to go kill mobs without reading "PLZZZ CAN I SOME1 GIVEE ME GOLDS PLZ!"

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

Originally posted by icecross

Originally posted by angerr
    i agree with almost everyone on this topic...... however, if my memory servers me right..... i think i read that this game will be free to play.image

For the first 20 levels the game will not be played on line / in multiplayer and can thus be called free.. but once the multiplayer part kicks in it will e a normal fee I guess...

ahh... okay , so many games comming out i get confused sometimes hehe

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• SlagggSlaggg Member Posts: 221

This is going to be fascinating.  A bloody, dark and moody MMO gets released with an M rating.  The California Governor just signed a bill allowing fines of up to $1000 to any retailer selling an M rated game to a Minor.  Will I even find this game in my own state?!?!  And when I do, will I finally have some space to play the game without being inundated by immature fanboi's running amok and whining about every little thing that didn't go their way?

Going to be very interesting indeed.

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

• thursdaythursday Member Posts: 24

I would have thought I would be easy to avoid this by selling through download only and paid for by a card in the players name.

However, the comments about and age and maturity ring very true.  A very good corp mate with whom I did many WoW instances was only 15 (more than double my age) whereas some of the egotistical idiots who regularly ruined a couple of hours of play would be older enough to play AoC.  It got to the state that some of us oldies would only start playing after midnight (when kids are in bed and students drunk).

• OrcBreathOrcBreath Member Posts: 17

The game wouldn't do justice to the saga of Conan if it wasn't horribly gruesome and bloody.  Anything below a Mature stamp would be an offense to Conan's savage fanbase.

• dominitdominit Member Posts: 64

I hope they stay true to the graphic novels/comics and this will be a very mature game, one of the best idea's for mmo in a long time::::20::

• flea1flea1 Member Posts: 250

I kinda wait for an x rateing and a game behind a beaded curtain. This will steer most parents away from ever buying it for a kid.

I enjoyed the books and the movies. Always wished more movies were made from the books. Also pretty cool on how the author thought conan was there watching him write the books and if he failed would kill him.

Orky Name Generator, only at www.bigchoppaz.com

• OrcBreathOrcBreath Member Posts: 17

You may get your wish.... no, no, not about the X rating (but that would be great, wouldn't it?), but I've heard several rumors that they are remaking the original Conan movie, though I haven't heard who the star is. 

Apparently with Lord of the Rings' success, a whole bunch of spin off medieval-like movies and fantasy movies are being made and Conan is in line. 

• darbidarbi Member Posts: 5

From the new video today--looks mature and ..stunning! 

Awaiting beta.