Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Craft heavy MMO

Vorpal.RendVorpal.Rend Member UncommonPosts: 80

I love me a hack 'n' slash as much as the next bloodthirsty psychopath but im after something new

I would normaly push the point of F2P but i have money nowdays and am bored!

SO something with a lot of crafting and farming would be great, Thanks all!

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Ryzom is a great crafting game, and free up to a certain point.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Xsyon http://www.xsyon.com/ has a ton of crafting and thats the main thing about the game..

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

If you are a true crafting lover then you would enjoy wurm online. It might not be the prettiest but the amount of things you can do in the game is amazing.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Fallen earth is good for crafting. you can craft everything from ammo to vehicles and its f2p now too

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

The best game I have ever played for crafting (and I love crafting) is Vanguard and I think its going free to play.

The second best crafting system for its vastness is Fallen Earth.

Both games crafting are integral but Vanguard is actually quite satisfying as you physically play a game. There are crafting missions to find better equipment and its extensive.  I played for 6 months purely due to crafting.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by chryses

Both games crafting are integral but Vanguard is actually quite satisfying as you physically play a game.

In that sense, Free Realms has mini-game based crafting and resource collection as well.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• GlaiveGlaive Member Posts: 10

Wakfu has a nice crafting system, and it's a pretty new mmo with nice anime graphics. There are over 14+ professions, and they are split into gathering and crafting profs.  You can craft almost every piece of equipment and food that is available in the game.

The game has 12 playable character classes, but they still need a lot of balancing, to be honest. :)

The game is f2p to some degree, you can take part in the newbie zone. But everything else is locked, so you have to subscribe to join a nation and have an impact on the nations' eco-system, politics and pvp. :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Everyone wil lhave their ideas but unless they played FFXI they wil lnot realize how large the crafting system is.

EQ2 has a nice system as well,a little more interactive and tons of housing items,albeit most good stuff is just bought in cash shop.

FFXI rose above because it's crafting was meaningful and had more ideas like gardening and hidden secrets that at one time were so closely kept becuase you would get rich off of them.The problem si the game has changed like flipping a light switch.

So as of now it is probably EQ2 for crafting.The dungeon loot still rules the roost but crafting can have some usesespecially since the yreleased the over powered AOD crafts just to sell the xpac.

Aside from FFXI however ,few games combine crafting with farming and definitely none as intensive as FFXI.EQ2 does not combine the two,you harvest rares is al lit adds to it,then craft the top tier items.EQ2 actuall yhas a nice system to be miles better than anyone else but SOE seems to have gone in the direction of cash shop and very little care to content in the game.

I heard the one GW2 system designer say he was farming while doing an interview [lol] so i imagine GW2 offers some farming/crafting correlation.Since the actual designer,who could have been doing anything chose to farm,it must have some use.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

Vanguard soh! such complexity and really enjoyable!

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by chryses

Both games crafting are integral but Vanguard is actually quite satisfying as you physically play a game.

In that sense, Free Realms has mini-game based crafting and resource collection as well.

I so agree! I love much about vanguard, though still cant understand why most MMORPG's are progressing towards faster more twitch based combat but are still stuck on boring crafting system akin to watching bars fill up and pressing buttons occasionaly.  I think future crafting systems should either be
    :

1.  As they are in Free Realms, e.g. interactive mini gmaes akin to tetris and gems

or

2. Make them based on a strategy system. I think the first PS version of the Legend of Mana seris had something like this if I can remember back. Or maybe something like chess or othello.. meh it's late

Even in games like VG or heck Minecraft (which is really like eq1 crafting), the crafting just isnt interactive enough for my tastes.

• Vorpal.RendVorpal.Rend Member UncommonPosts: 80

Thanks guys! if any more suggestions roll through ill take a look.

Gonna try the trial of Vanguard and just finished dling Wurm! Ty all!

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by sharadenteh

Thanks guys! if any more suggestions roll through ill take a look.

Gonna try the trial of Vanguard and just finished dling Wurm! Ty all!

Vanguard will be your final stop for awhile. Enjoy

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Lots of good games have in depth crafting.

Ryzom and Xyson are almost on last legs, and wouldn't reccomend them sadly.

The same kinda goes for Vanguard, but it has a F2P transition coming up soon so who knows.

Some games that have a decent population that has in depth crafting are Wurm, EVE, and UO for sandboxes.

For themeparks, EQ2 and FFXIV both have crafting that actually matters, more so FFXIV. Crafters are the only people to repair gear to 100% durability (NPC's can't), and they can make and meld Materia to gear to give it bonuses (which NPC's can't).