Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online: Gravitar Wants to Party with You and 9 Others

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Champions Online site has been updated with a new Rampage Alert featuring that ultra bad girl, Gravitar. The alert is specially designed to cater to the ten able bodied heroes in the 35-40 range.

Gravitar has arrived for a night on the town in Millennium City! That dreadful diva’s idea of a good time is wreaking total havoc to grab a few headlines! We have managed to contain her to a city block, but we need 10 worthy heroes to go in and subdue her before she breaks free or causes more damage! Are you up to the challenge?

Read more about the new alert on the Champions Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

The game has come A LONG WAY since PWI took over it. More power sets available, better game all around. Pleaseantly surprised.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630

Yeah they have a lot of publicity and they are always tempting me to come back.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I just wish the power disparity between Freeform characters and Archtype characters would be addressed. It's just too easy to build a FF character that has higher damage, more survivability AND more utility than an Archtype character, all at the same time.

It sorta makes the game pay-to-win, which is kinda obnoxious. 

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by umcorian

I just wish the power disparity between Freeform characters and Archtype characters would be addressed. It's just too easy to build a FF character that has higher damage, more survivability AND more utility than an Archtype character, all at the same time.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. If you must, then sub but let's behonest here, you can enjoy the game without subbing at all and it's not really P2W because the PvP isn't a main point of the game and you still can PvP if you want without getting rolled if played right.  Runes of Magic, Allods Online...now that's P2W.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Can't have your cake and eat it too. If you must, then sub but let's behonest here, you can enjoy the game without subbing at all.

Since last week, subscribing is not the only way to get freeform. CO is selling freeform slots.

About the Gravitar, it is an interesting encounter. It got some people mad cause they found it a bit too hard for all knockbacks, damage spikes and lockouts but it is different approach from just zerging bosses.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Awesome game.  CO was sitting on my PC for about 7 months.  2 weeks ago I logged in, subbed and have been playing ever since.

My top "hidden gem" game.

• AnthonyMSAnthonyMS Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by gandales
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Can't have your cake and eat it too. If you must, then sub but let's behonest here, you can enjoy the game without subbing at all.

Since last week, subscribing is not the only way to get freeform. CO is selling freeform slots.

About the Gravitar, it is an interesting encounter. It got some people mad cause they found it a bit too hard for all knockbacks, damage spikes and lockouts but it is different approach from just zerging bosses.

Yeah, you can buy a watered down version for 4000CP. Unfortunately for PWE/Cryptic, I'd need to buy the $50 US bundle of Zen (A recent trip to STO website forced me to connect my Cryptic account so now I can only buy Zen and convert it to CP) and I invested that into TSW's preorder and am looking forward to spending my money in their cash shop.  If AO and AoC are any indication (I REALLY hope so) I'll be able to convert my money into just FPs (Funcom Points) and not convert them between games like I'd have to do with Zen and CP.

• fahadjafarfahadjafar Member Posts: 44

ever since pwe took over the game, this game became more friendly to those who wud constantly spend cash in cash shop, players who bought lifetime sub or those who are subbed aren't getting any type of extra advantage over those who spend money on cash shop(if u r just free player then that is another story). if we compare soe or turbine model to pwe, soe or turbine givs more advantage to subscribed users than those who spend cash in cash shop, which a sub based f2p game shud be. the 400CP monthly stipend is bonkers, right now the game is too much based on mods and higher rank mods and pvp mods can only be achieved thorugh mod fusion, and the success rate of fusion is very low unless a player buy cash shop rank catalyst, the higher rank of this item comes at a price of 4K+CP, so those who are gold user or lifetime are screwed here. 

• SupercollideSupercollide Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by fahadjafar

ever since pwe took over the game, this game became more friendly to those who wud constantly spend cash in cash shop, players who bought lifetime sub or those who are subbed aren't getting any type of extra advantage over those who spend money on cash shop(if u r just free player then that is another story). if we compare soe or turbine model to pwe, soe or turbine givs more advantage to subscribed users than those who spend cash in cash shop, which a sub based f2p game shud be. the 400CP monthly stipend is bonkers, right now the game is too much based on mods and higher rank mods and pvp mods can only be achieved thorugh mod fusion, and the success rate of fusion is very low unless a player buy cash shop rank catalyst, the higher rank of this item comes at a price of 4K+CP, so those who are gold user or lifetime are screwed here. 

Actually I find it's become more friendly for grinding, (for XP, Mods, G Questionite/CP, recognition) rather than the cash shop.  I've got well over 1000CP sat doing nothing since what I want right now is bought by Questionite and I can't be bothered selling the CP for Questionite when I can fairly quickly grind for it.

The dimishing returns on stats mean that you don't need anything over an R5 mod and R4 ones drop as regularly as the UK news reports on the Leveson inquiry (A.l.l .t.h.e. .t.i.m.e).  The difference between a defense boosting mod at R9 compared to R5 is only 3 defense.  Dodge chance mods are pretty much the only ones that see a marked increase in figures between R5 and R9 but there's so many other ways to stack dodge and quickly gets into dimishing returns anyway.

@ Supercollide : i don't like grinding at all, when u said that it became grinding friendly u admit unwillingly that they made it easier for cash shoppers, i am pvp player and pvp is basically crap in that game, any freeform character can kill any archetype in 2 hit in pvp. and the questionites, i made 300 CP frm my 80CP(u get them when u create accnt) in 2 days without farming questionite, it is very much common in pwe games, i did the same in fw, but in case of fw i did it in a very worse way, we all did, it is too easy to scam ppl with the shitty economy management in pwe games(actually all the pay2win games are the same) and also when GM themsleves help make the imbalanced economy(i knw u don't believe me but that is the sad truth, well it wasn't sad for me at all, havin a GM as friend is cool :D) it is actually fun house for some ppl, i got quickly tired of scamming ppl in fw and same here with CO. and u missed my complete point abt the mods, it is not what mechanincs they follow, it is abt what kind of availability they hav kept for the mods, and right now the availibility is toward the cash shopper. many things in CO right now is biased toward cash shoppers(or economy dupers like me) and i really don't see the point of keeping it a sub based game anymore. 

• SupercollideSupercollide Member Posts: 34

@ Supercollide : i don't like grinding at all, when u said that it became grinding friendly u admit unwillingly that they made it easier for cash shoppers, i am pvp player and pvp is basically crap in that game, any freeform character can kill any archetype in 2 hit in pvp. and the questionites, i made 300 CP frm my 80CP(u get them when u create accnt) in 2 days without farming questionite, it is very much common in pwe games, i did the same in fw, but in case of fw i did it in a very worse way, we all did, it is too easy to scam ppl with the shitty economy management in pwe games(actually all the pay2win games are the same) and also when GM themsleves help make the imbalanced economy(i knw u don't believe me but that is the sad truth, well it wasn't sad for me at all, havin a GM as friend is cool :D) it is actually fun house for some ppl, i got quickly tired of scamming ppl in fw and same here with CO. and u missed my complete point abt the mods, it is not what mechanincs they follow, it is abt what kind of availability they hav kept for the mods, and right now the availibility is toward the cash shopper. many things in CO right now is biased toward cash shoppers(or economy dupers like me) and i really don't see the point of keeping it a sub based game anymore. 

Fair point about PvP but it's always been overlooked in CO, as it is Mods didn't kill that, Spec trees did. There's also a reason why the AT and FF queues were seperated.  FF slots are available to buy now anyway. so the sub. don't sub thing is much less of an issue.

Been playing this game some 18 months now as on a free account and a sub account (yes both at the same time) and both are totally vaild (providing you keeping to seperate PvP queue's and yes PvP is equally broken on either side). 

I think you got me wrong with the mods, anything above R5 just desn't matter and the mod upgrade catallysts are frankly a tax on people who are bad at cryptic math (dimishing returns on teeny tiny margin, i.e.  when you round 250.3 or 250.4 you still get 250 in both cases).  I mean they sell one to convert R1 to R2 which is a 100% sucess chance without the mod anyway.  R9 mods are still achieveable in game anyway but no one bothers with them.

I'm not disputing that PWE want you to buy and spend CP yes there's a lot of things available there but it's all fluff bar the FF slot.  That's the only thing CP will get you to genuinely help you 'win' , an expensive permanent freeform slot. On that I'll agree with you but the cost of that  its more than I'm paying to sub for a year and I get a lot more mileage out of my sub. 

As it was I was trying to bring home that you could pay nothing at all and (unless you intend to PvP against Freeforms or buy somethign in the AH more than the silver account limit of 250G) you won't be penalised, that you can still access all the best gear without spending if you are prepared to spend a little time instead doing a little grinding.   Yeah grind isn't for everyone, neither is spending cash. 

I did the vet awards sums recently converting the vet awards into CP value, a lifetime sub pays for itself in 100 days in retcons alone.  Depending on what folks want a sub is still worth it if you want to run a few Freeform toons but liek they say 'your mileage will vary' and others would be just as happy playing two free ATs and never paying a dime, others would get all the mielage they need from buying one premanent freeform slot..  TBH subbers hven;t really been given anything just for them bar one free hideout and the vet awards (I'm not counting beta test invites for NVM as that misses the point)

Gotta ask tho- CO has a GM? really? since when? or did you mean FW?

Originally posted by Supercollide

Fair point about PvP but it's always been overlooked in CO, as it is Mods didn't kill that, Spec trees did. There's also a reason why the AT and FF queues were seperated.  FF slots are available to buy now anyway. so the sub. don't sub thing is much less of an issue.

Been playing this game some 18 months now as on a free account and a sub account (yes both at the same time) and both are totally vaild (providing you keeping to seperate PvP queue's and yes PvP is equally broken on either side). 

I think you got me wrong with the mods, anything above R5 just desn't matter and the mod upgrade catallysts are frankly a tax on people who are bad at cryptic math (dimishing returns on teeny tiny margin, i.e.  when you round 250.3 or 250.4 you still get 250 in both cases).  I mean they sell one to convert R1 to R2 which is a 100% sucess chance without the mod anyway.  R9 mods are still achieveable in game anyway but no one bothers with them.

I'm not disputing that PWE want you to buy and spend CP yes there's a lot of things available there but it's all fluff bar the FF slot.  That's the only thing CP will get you to genuinely help you 'win' , an expensive permanent freeform slot. On that I'll agree with you but the cost of that  its more than I'm paying to sub for a year and I get a lot more mileage out of my sub. 

As it was I was trying to bring home that you could pay nothing at all and (unless you intend to PvP against Freeforms or buy somethign in the AH more than the silver account limit of 250G) you won't be penalised, that you can still access all the best gear without spending if you are prepared to spend a little time instead doing a little grinding.   Yeah grind isn't for everyone, neither is spending cash. 

I did the vet awards sums recently converting the vet awards into CP value, a lifetime sub pays for itself in 100 days in retcons alone.  Depending on what folks want a sub is still worth it if you want to run a few Freeform toons but liek they say 'your mileage will vary' and others would be just as happy playing two free ATs and never paying a dime, others would get all the mielage they need from buying one premanent freeform slot..  TBH subbers hven;t really been given anything just for them bar one free hideout and the vet awards (I'm not counting beta test invites for NVM as that misses the point)

Gotta ask tho- CO has a GM? really? since when? or did you mean FW?

exactly what is the success chance of makin a r9 without cash shop items or finding one? the whole point of my post was to show that cash shopping is dominant in the long run. and u agree that gold customers or lifetime subs are not getting anything worth of their money, comparing to turbine or soe where all of the advantages are given to lifetime and subbed players, all i am saying that we can't trust pwe with lifetime or continuous sub, at least i am not.

and i meant GM in FW. havn't seen any GM in CO and i am away frm pwe games for a very long time after FW fiasco. just after alert update i joined CO and was very disappointed with the game, nothin really special frm other pwe games.