Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heretic leaves Cryptic

CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Cryptic Heretic, the dev responsible for the Doff system, is leaving cryptic.
Link to his thread
Thoughts?

By the way, if the forums look different, they just recently got an overhaul.

June 25th addition:
Just found out that CrypticGozer is also leaving!
Gozers Post

So, two prominent devs leaving the company. He was the only dev, or one of the only devs working on PVP changes as far as I know as well.

Whats going on? Why does two well known devs depart the company in short succession of one another? Interesting indeed. Sure, they will say it has nothing to do with Cryptic or PWE, and that they are moving on to other opportunities, but is this just PR lip service?

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I would imagine that most of the devs are not happy with the money-grubbing systems that Perfect World has put in, such as the lockboxes.  It would not surprise me to see more people leaving over the next 6 months. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

It was overdue.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Damn shame, he's by far the best designer they had... plus their best community ambassador.    He really willed the DOFF system into existance.

And I have very little doubt PW's lockbox bullshit rubbed him the wrong way.  I can't imagine any game designer wanting to work for a company that is literally running an online gambling scam.  And that's precisely what the lockbox system is, a scam designed to bleed money from their best customers..

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Draemos

Damn shame, he's by far the best designer they had... plus their best community ambassador.    He really willed the DOFF system into existance.

And I have very little doubt PW's lockbox bullshit rubbed him the wrong way.  I can't imagine any game designer wanting to work for a company that is literally running an online gambling scam.  And that's precisely what the lockbox system is, a scam designed to bleed money from their best customers..

That is why when I buy stuff in the cash shop, I  buy stuff that isn't a gambling scam, like the Caitian species in STO or the Super Magnifier in CO.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Meta system engineers are hard to come by.
    Pwe sucks
  • WildNatureWildNature Member Posts: 51

Likely there were far too many freeloaders not putting a penny into the game so they've had to curb that behavior....

* Good, honorable, gamers will continue to pay the bills so freeloaders can enjoy the game.
    * Sandboxers and Carebears are 2 sides to the same coin.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by staran
    Pwe sucks

Please tell me you actually have a valid reason for this statement.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

C'mon guys, every STO thread turns into Cryptic sucks, PWE sucks and what have you. Please keep the responses tied as much as you can to Heretic, and not if we like his former company or not.

And keep the responses about "Free loaders" playing a F2p game minimal. That type of nonsense makes you look pathetic.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by WildNature

Likely there were far too many freeloaders not putting a penny into the game so they've had to curb that behavior....

Do you even know the core concept behind "F2P"? The very idea is to encourage "FreeLoaders" while at the same time giving small incentives that eat over time into the pockets for things they don't consider expensive.

It's like saying subscribers are bad for a PayToPlay MMO.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Cryptic Gozer is also leaving. See my OP for the link to his post.

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

I wish I could say I find this surprising, but unfortunately I do not.  The "smaller than a Starbucks" team just got a lot smaller, so those holding out for great improvements to STO should not be holding their breath IMO.

I wish them both the best of luck on their future endeavours.

• ThreeSixtyThreeSixty Member UncommonPosts: 41

I would tend to think they should just start considering eliminating PvP altogether and devote whatever remaining resources they're going to allocate to STO to the occasional new episode release.  Personally I'd given up on PvP a long time ago so Gozer's departure isn't of major concern to me, but Heretic leaving seems a real blow.  I have to admit that I really enjoy the whole DOff system, which surprised even me.  I can't even pinpoint why exactly.  I'd abandoned STO for almost a year before it was implemented, and now it's the only thing keeping me checking back in frequently.  Between assignment chains and some interesting rewards, it's a pretty well-designed diversion.

Hopefully they are indeed leaving to pursue opportunities, and not just using corporate-speak to communicate the fact Cryptic/PWE had no role for them on future projects.  With corporate decisions, you never know.  Nonetheless I hope they both find a new home that suits their talents in short order.