Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Free, if there was a sub.....

rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

If there was a monthly sub for Guild Wars 2, would the game barely make a ripple?. Honestly, the hype is so over the top it's cliche.

If the game changed nothing so far but the addition of a $15 a month fee, would most of you shuffle off or go back to what ever else was F2P?.

Maybe a fair and more realistic hype would be (it's the best looking F2P game coming out) certainly more realistic than the claims right here on these forums that GW2 is a hybid themepark/sandbox.

I have seen no nation, city or home building, only typical and limited crafting and no unstructured open world pvp, things that would point to sandbox are missing by most accounts, but turn on the over hype machine and they magicaly appear.

No endgame? no levels? no character building constraints, just pick a name and heap on the abbilities? the maps have no edges?

I dont have enough time to get into the pvp claims but add a sub fee and this title would crash back to earth faster than Skylab. Does anyone have a calm, logical, honest review of the game? strengths and weaknesses, please feel free to add it here.

I will try and read it before it's crushed under a mountain of hype.

Comments

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

I would pay monthly, best game I have played in 7 years. As it standes now I may just spend $15 a month in the CS should they add some cool things.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

It looks to be "worth the value" so far, yes.

Most of us simply wouldn't pay monthly for other games that do the same thing it does.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/354932/Would-you-pay-a-sub-for-GW2.html

There is already another thread about this... explains a lot. Use the search function before posting one of those "I've seen it a thousand times thread" it gets tiring posting the same all the time

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Not sure where people have gotten this notion that GW2 is F2P...

Its B2P, just like a regular game you would buy for your PS3 or XBOX.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

The secret world is better then this game in its current state.

Too bad most people wont give the secret world any time of day.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

We all know what TSW's combat looks like, and we all know what GW2's looks like.

People are just going with the obvious choice... but the fact that TSW has a required sub is also helping to push the incentive to the other side.

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by rdrpappy

If there was a monthly sub for Guild Wars 2, would the game barely make a ripple?. Honestly, the hype is so over the top it's cliche.

If the game changed nothing so far but the addition of a $15 a month fee, would most of you shuffle off or go back to what ever else was F2P?.

Maybe a fair and more realistic hype would be (it's the best looking F2P game coming out) certainly more realistic than the claims right here on these forums that GW2 is a hybid themepark/sandbox.

I have seen no nation, city or home building, only typical and limited crafting and no unstructured open world pvp, things that would point to sandbox are missing by most accounts, but turn on the over hype machine and they magicaly appear.

No endgame? no levels? no character building constraints, just pick a name and heap on the abbilities? the maps have no edges?

I dont have enough time to get into the pvp claims but add a sub fee and this title would crash back to earth faster than Skylab. Does anyone have a calm, logical, honest review of the game? strengths and weaknesses, please feel free to add it here.

1. GW2 is Not F2P, you have to buy the game so please don't tell us no sub is F2P.

2. the crafting is good am very happy with it, it's working and it's not too complicated.

3. WVW is much better than any kind of pvp I’ve seen till now, and first of all GW2 is a social game = no Ganking/camping ppl.

4.No lvls ???? did even read about the game?

5. please stop the empty talk about End game, why should we pay for a game that has 80 levels, and we can only have fun at 80 ??? No thank you , until now all I’ve seen in BWE is that i started the fun from level 1 pvp and pve wise.

6. funny we all complain about how we get class limited to race, and when it's not we don't like it lol, at lease you won't see a Cow Paladin :).

7.the maps has no edges????

8. if they add a sub fee ( which will never happen ) i would gladly pay, not to play the game but to support a Anet for working so hard on this title and having the dignity not to rush this game to release.

You don't like it don't play it.  

• NavekNavek Member UncommonPosts: 71

I have and it is no way better than GW2, I had high hopes for TSW but at best its just "Mehhhhhh"

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

If I can get gems like GW2, Torchlight 2 and Minecraft for this kind of money and no sub fee, why on earth would I want to start paying subs again? Ive put more hours in Minecraft multiplayer then in most MMO's I played last years. GW2 is the first MMO in a long time where I also get the impression that this will be a stayer for me.

So if they want to sell me a subbased game, they will have to come up with something incredible to warrant one in my eyes. But I think that the standard that the games I mentioned set is simply too high.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Navek

I have and it is no way better than GW2, I had high hopes for TSW but at best its just "Mehhhhhh"

Played both games , love em both, but I like TSW more, the combat in GW2 is alittle weak , animations not that great but the core mechanics of the game are fantastic, the events ect

TSW, the missions, the ability wheels, you can use all weapons/magic in the game and customize your character better in TSW then you can with GW2.

GW2 80 levels Nice

TSW no levels , no class Even better!

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399
    Does anyone have a calm, logical, honest review of the game? strengths and weaknesses, please feel free to add it here.

Most every MMO I have played in the past 10 years has turned into buying the game for 50-60 bucks, playing it for a month or 2 and then quitting. Only to never return due to the cost of having to resub.

I don't see how you can bash this game, when you obviously don't know much about it reading your post. It will last as long if not longer for me as a player for the money I am paying for it. If it only holds my attention for a couple months, oh well. I will be 15 dollars ahead than my STWOR/any other MMO 1-2 month ride.

This is not a F2P game. You have to buy it, and there is trading in the game to generate money for ArenaNet. So, basically, you are saying games like LOTRO, EVE, even TERA now are all "F2P" trash simply because you can play it without paying any real money?

This "free to play" model is here to stay, subscription games are going to be getting hit VERY hard in the coming years, I gurantee that. Planetside 2, Firefall, etc. Are all going to be the same model. P2P games are all migrating towards some kind of cash shop. It just makes sense, and allows people to come back when they want, and pay if they like it. Making people pay 15 bucks up front just to try it again is going to turn away 90% of all players. That is the problem.

Go back to paying 15 dollars a month for Darkfall and gank noobs all day. The game isn't for everyone, but it is most definitely carrying the most value and polish that I have seen in a game probably ever. The next closest would be RIFT. Even WoW was a steaming pile of shit on release compared to this game even now as far as polish goes.

If you don't like it, just leave and stop posting about it. Why do people make it their crusade to trash talk some game they know nothing about? It just makes you look ignorant and naive.

EDIT: And TSW combat is stale and predictable, IMO. You are really comparing the animations to GW2? The GCD doesn't even match up with the damn animations for christ sake! TSW looks way worse in just about every way. I love the puzzle like nature of the game, the quests and the story in TSW. But the combat feels horrible to me. It is button mashing and spamming at its best. I might pick it up at some point, but cash shop + sub fee is pretty much a "no thanks" at this point. Especially since it is a Funcom title.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Did you REALLY have to be a troll in these peoples forums? nothing positive to say? stay away.

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173

lol even Barbies online is better than TSW. 

TSW= pricey subscription fee.   cash shop,  horrible combat,  horrible animations,  horrible character models.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

If there was a monthly sub for Guild Wars 2, would the game barely make a ripple?. I think people to day have to realize that you actual build games different with a subscription fee and without. So wheter or not GW2 would make a ripple doesn't matter, because it would be designed different if it was made for subscription.

Honestly, the hype is so over the top it's cliche. Hype is Hype , if it aint over the top it ain't hype.

If the game changed nothing so far but the addition of a $15 a month fee, would most of you shuffle off or go back to what ever else was F2P?. As other have stated its B2P and yes alot of people here don't like to pay subscribtion, but thats not the same as people play F2P. It looks like you think bad of GW2 because it doesn't have a subscribtion fee? Alot of gamers don't think a subscribtion is a quality mark in itself. And with GW1 already showing what kind of experience you are up for, why not acknowledge that no subscribtion is a quality in this case?

Maybe a fair and more realistic hype would be (it's the best looking F2P game coming out) certainly more realistic than the claims right here on these forums that GW2 is a hybid themepark/sandbox. Its a fair point and worth educating people that GW2 is NOT and have nothing to do with a sandbox. And its not a hybrid. It is a themepark, its a ZOO.

I have seen no nation, city or home building, only typical and limited crafting and no unstructured open world pvp, things that would point to sandbox are missing by most accounts, but turn on the over hype machine and they magicaly appear. I think you should have made a thread on its own , or found an old one , discussing this.

No endgame? no levels? no character building constraints, just pick a name and heap on the abbilities? the maps have no edges? bitching or ??

I dont have enough time to get into the pvp claims but add a sub fee and this title would crash back to earth faster than Skylab. Does anyone have a calm, logical, honest review of the game? strengths and weaknesses, please feel free to add it here. Sry but there is so many of these around, i personal like this one

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/336987/The-Tao-of-Arenanet.html

I think you are mixing up alot off different things here. But read this it might help for a starter

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/336987/The-Tao-of-Arenanet.html

Without realising that a B2P game is designed and have to be designed very different, I think its easy to sit stucked in a subscription mindset and just don't get why and how GW2 could be working and doing things different.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

The combat animations are meh in TSW, in GW2 the animations are a lot more fluid. TSW has a global skill cooldown and it is annoying, attack-wait-attack-wait, GW2 is a lot more responsive and skill chains happen nicely and feel perfect. Melee animations in TSW are very weak (it's not the best way to fight in that game anyway) there is also no "feel" when you are hit, in GW2 you get both visual and sound clues when you are hit or when a buff is used, you don't have to watch your "buffs/debuffs" to find out what is going on. Also in GW2 there are absolutely no chances, no chance to hit, no chance to evade/block, in TSW you can stay near an opponent and exchange blows (and dodge when you see the white circle on the ground) in GW2 you dodge/move all the time, otherwise you die. Ever fought one of those Incubus with the giant swords and watching their gigantic blade slice you in two but deal no damage?

Also, TSW doesn't have my "defining features" of GW2, that is the Dynamic Events. I'm just sick of Mob-tagging, kill-stealing, and quests that feel like everyone is playing single player in an online setting. Actions of one player don't affect the others. A zombie horde attacks the junkyard and the players avoid them because they don't have a quest to help, someone else is dealing with them. And there is no point to help, because without the quest in your log you don't get anything by helping, and you will have to do it again anyway. In GW2 you always have an incentive to help others, you always feel like you are in another world, the immersion is amazing. With all the lore and story behind TSW it would've worked perfectly, and it would've been the best game ever released. Unfortunately, TSW has the exact same quest system as most other MMOs and this is why I don't want to play it. If I didn't try GW2 I would've been playing TSW for sure, because it's an awesome game, BUT it doesn't feel like GW2 at all.

Killing that big zombie boss by the beach and getting nothing for it, apparently it was part of a quest. I don't want the typical "You didn't have the right quest" moments, I hate them. Also, lame quest chains, having to kill 6 impalers, then 4 maulers, then 4 incubators, then 3 bloodwitches then the big lord, all the monster types spawn close to each other, why not kill them all at the same time and have them on different tiers? I killed lots of bloodwitches while searching for incubators and then the game asked me to kill them again (but I already did!) "You weren't in the proper tier"

Even the very very first quest in TSW is flawed. You have to kill 6 zombies. I used a gazoline usable item to kill them but got no kills registered. So I killed them with my own weapons. Then I got the quest to kill 6 zombies using the freaking gazoline, that I just used a few moments ago. No thanks this type of questing is exactly what I hate in MMOs and this type of questing is exactly what GW2 is changing. So no thanks TSW

Edit:

Does anyone have a calm, logical, honest review of the game? strengths and weaknesses, please feel free to add it here.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/353977/My-Guild-Wars-2-Preview.html

You can read my preview if you want.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Like I also posted in that other topic on this subject, I would definitely pay a sub for this game.

It also isn't your average media hype that's based on cgi trailers. For me my personal hype started with actual experience with the game on Gamescom 2010 and added to that actual gameplay videos, details released about features of the game etc. Anet has been very open about the state of the game and it's features throughout the development process. Unlike those other companies that just hype up with some slick cgi trailers and very vague statements about what features will be available but no actual details or gameplay.

Sure the hype is over the top now but that's because more people actually got to play the game and liked what they experienced which then spreads on to their friends etc.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

You seem to have played the game or have observed enough to know that you won't enjoy it and that it would "crash back to earth" on a sub fee. Why do you need an "honest" review?

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Originally posted by Navek

Played both games , love em both, but I like TSW more, the combat in GW2 is alittle weak , animations not that great but the core mechanics of the game are fantastic, the events ect

TSW, the missions, the ability wheels, you can use all weapons/magic in the game and customize your character better in TSW then you can with GW2.

GW2 80 levels Nice

TSW no levels , no class Even better!

In GW2 the Combat is more interactive and the animations are WAY better (not even up for debate). With an assault rifle, TSW felt no different from you're average modern MMO. Moving helps a little on hard enemies, but not necessarily required. In fact the only time I did move was when there was and aoe attack marked on the floor or if I pulled too many zombies. Other than that, I didn't really move. The animations are actually pretty simple with no style in TSW. You have your gases, explosions, bullet sparks and glowy sword trails. 

GW2 on the other hand requires movement. I think this is where people tend to mess up and mistake the game to be too hard, as it was commonly complained about. And animations are bar none. Flying phoenix's that do actual collision detecion, walls of effects to morphing AoEs, shape shifting, clone creation/shatters, raising dead creatures, etc. (I could go on for a very long time). The animations is just more varied and feels like an actual 3D animations (TSW's seemed more like a sprite animation on a 3D surface). 

And in terms of gameplay, GW2 is heads and shoulders above every MMO I've played. I'm not a huge fan of Anet. And as of late, I have seriously been disappointed with MMOs I have hyped. To give you some idea, I pre-ordered AoC, STO (w/ lifetime), Champions Online, Aion, SWTOR, and Rift. Those are only the games I pre-ordered because I was super hyped about them. Not a single one kept me intrigued past the 1st week of gameplay. I played them for the month I had, because I already paid for it, but I didn't enjoy any of those past the 1st week. However, GW2 is different. I have played 2 BWEs and 1 stress test, which makes it approximately a week, yet I feel like I haven't played the game at all. And you'll see it across forums. GW2 does really ruin gameplay of other games. I would honestly pay a $15 sub for the game and be completely happy. Something that I had always questioned after getting the first sample of my past MMO experience. There is no way to explain GW2 because it really is different. The concept of making level 1 players actually enjoy the game, instead of making the goal to simply level, is one that's foreign to MMOs. It's not something I can tell you and make you understand, it's something you'd have to experience for yourself. Same goes with the combat, structure, and pretty much the entire workings of the game. It's just so different, you wouldn't be able to understand by just hearing it, you would have to experience it yourself. Kind of like the movie Avatar: If someone just told you the story of Avatar, you would probably think..."Meh so cliche", but it was never really about the story, it's always been about the experience. 

TL;DNR: In GW2 the Combat is more interactive and the animations are WAY better. GW is more robust in everyway. GW2 is a very fun game starting from lvl 1. That's something you can only understand by experiencing it.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by GTwander

We all know what TSW's combat looks like, and we all know what GW2's looks like.

People are just going with the obvious choice... but the fact that TSW has a required sub is also helping to push the incentive to the other side.

I guess combat is all that matters.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Just to start, the game is not free to play. It doesnt have a sub but you still need to buy the box. Also if it had a sub I will probably try it sooner or later, like any other mmo coming out.

Why is people so hyped with GW2, becouse Guild Wars 1 delivered what it promised, at least more than most of the mmos lately. The developer has a reputation and it helps a lot on selling the boxes.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Don't get how thsi truned into a TSW vs GW2 thread.

Anyway, to the OP, would a sub cause a huge blackslash? Yes. To the masse market, the cheaper the better. To many people, the less money you have to pay, the better the game is. You placed a sub and box on PS2, the blackslash would probably be huge too, despite the love it's been getting.

Myself, i don't mind. Paying subs for non sandboxes is somewhat annoying, because mostly they're not worth it, but it's not that much money to me, so i'm all good. I'd pay a sub for GW2.

But like i said, if Anet announced a removal of the cs and added a sub, they'd probably lose half og their costumers. is the B2P model better than p2p? Don't know, don't have hard facts for anything, but sub at this point would be suicide.

No, but I am definitely not one to overlook below average combat in exchange for a more interesting core theme. Plus, the *good* quests in both games will wear thin eventually - then what is left?

If all things turn repetitive in the end, you better hope your combat mechanics will last longer than the rest of it.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

With the way MMO's are made today, it pretty much is tbh. Everything else wears thin after a while and no non-combat game systems are every really prioritised. If the combat sucks then the vast majority of the game will usually suck too because of it.

Originally posted by seridan

The combat animations are meh in TSW, in GW2 the animations are a lot more fluid. TSW has a global skill cooldown and it is annoying, attack-wait-attack-wait, GW2 is a lot more responsive and skill chains happen nicely and feel perfect. Melee animations in TSW are very weak (it's not the best way to fight in that game anyway) there is also no "feel" when you are hit, in GW2 you get both visual and sound clues when you are hit or when a buff is used, you don't have to watch your "buffs/debuffs" to find out what is going on. Also in GW2 there are absolutely no chances, no chance to hit, no chance to evade/block, in TSW you can stay near an opponent and exchange blows (and dodge when you see the white circle on the ground) in GW2 you dodge/move all the time, otherwise you die. Ever fought one of those Incubus with the giant swords and watching their gigantic blade slice you in two but deal no damage?

Also, TSW doesn't have my "defining features" of GW2, that is the Dynamic Events. I'm just sick of Mob-tagging, kill-stealing, and quests that feel like everyone is playing single player in an online setting. Actions of one player don't affect the others. A zombie horde attacks the junkyard and the players avoid them because they don't have a quest to help, someone else is dealing with them. And there is no point to help, because without the quest in your log you don't get anything by helping, and you will have to do it again anyway. In GW2 you always have an incentive to help others, you always feel like you are in another world, the immersion is amazing. With all the lore and story behind TSW it would've worked perfectly, and it would've been the best game ever released. Unfortunately, TSW has the exact same quest system as most other MMOs and this is why I don't want to play it. If I didn't try GW2 I would've been playing TSW for sure, because it's an awesome game, BUT it doesn't feel like GW2 at all.

Killing that big zombie boss by the beach and getting nothing for it, apparently it was part of a quest. I don't want the typical "You didn't have the right quest" moments, I hate them. Also, lame quest chains, having to kill 6 impalers, then 4 maulers, then 4 incubators, then 3 bloodwitches then the big lord, all the monster types spawn close to each other, why not kill them all at the same time and have them on different tiers? I killed lots of bloodwitches while searching for incubators and then the game asked me to kill them again (but I already did!) "You weren't in the proper tier"

Even the very very first quest in TSW is flawed. You have to kill 6 zombies. I used a gazoline usable item to kill them but got no kills registered. So I killed them with my own weapons. Then I got the quest to kill 6 zombies using the freaking gazoline, that I just used a few moments ago. No thanks this type of questing is exactly what I hate in MMOs and this type of questing is exactly what GW2 is changing. So no thanks TSW

Edit:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/353977/My-Guild-Wars-2-Preview.html

You can read my preview if you want.

LOL Really???

Bud did you play GW2?? The animations are soso, I mean shit I had a 20 ranger in the betas ( it is a fun game ) and the animations are the same! even the sword attacks are blah at best, the pathing is broken have the time and you say that the skill chains are perfect? What are you smoking I want some :P

Press button 1 , auto attack hmmm feels like wow again, button 2-4 , yup this is wow just B2P , then you comment on the combat of TSW and say it's a piece of crap, well GW2 is far from perfect, fading textures on a high end gaming rig, choppy combat animations, dodge is pretty much useless in GW2, the character models are soso at best, however I still like the game ALOT and will play it because it's unique, and this is coming from a CBT, can't say much more then that, because those issues I posted were from the beta weekend ect, so no need for a NDA mention there.

Yes TSW needs some work and yes GW2 needs some work too, but lets just try to have a conversation on the game at hand here, this is not a GW2 post this is a TSW post, keep to the subject at hand.

Originally posted by MoonBeans

lol even Barbies online is better than TSW. 

TSW= pricey subscription fee.   cash shop,  horrible combat,  horrible animations,  horrible character models.

This proves that TSW is more then what some people can handle,......thinking wise anyways, you didn't play the game did you? Or maybe you did and got stuck on Dr Bannermans mission LOL

don't worry beans, there's a MMO coming up that requires zero thinking and only button mashing, need me to state which one? Or do you want to take a guess?

This discussion has been closed.