Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone still tempted to buy the lifetime sub?

Comments

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Theocritus
         Except for SWTOR, this would be the last game I would buy a lifetime for......Once the main quest lkine is done, which probably wont be all that long, I think players will find maxing skills and PVP to be very boring and move on to another game..... I jsut cant see players enjoying this for several years like we did with EQ, UO, DAoC and some of the older MMOs.

That really depends on how quickly they do updates and how fast progression is- I personally found the game to go at a good pace (if not a little too fast) and I definitely saw the benefits of grouping while still being able to solo. If Funcom can squash bugs and deliver content at even 2/3 Trion's pace I can see it doing fairly well.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

meh, I never really play games long enough to warrent getting a Lifetime.

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Baddogbill

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ....this is headed f2p

I think mmorpg should implement a system where if you post X amount of time in a game fourm an icon of that games logo should pop up next to your name.

That is one of the best ideas I've heard in a while. Take away the 'X amount of times' though. Just make members' avatars the logo for the game forum they've posted the most in over the last 30 days. Then if people want their avatars to represent a game they think is cool, I guess most of their posts will be positive.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

Like I said in a previous post, you cant get a lifetime sub to TSW. Funcom stopped offering them.

Funcom is still offering their lifetime subscription to TSW, because I just did it.

Now to the player base that don't believe in buying a lifetime subscription....

As I pointed out, dropping $200 bucks on any mmo is a gamble these days, but if I get 1 year of total play with TSW, well it paid for itself.

However, most of the new gamers today dont stay very long like they used to since the market is saturated with mmo's of all sorts, so I can see why they wouldn't pay $200 for a mmorpg. Me, I am not your typical mmo gamer, I usually stick with a mmorpg for years. Anarchy Online was my 1st mmo and I still go to it (wish they had a lifetime sub)  as well as STO and LoTRO, so I got my moneys worth from both of them as well.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

Like I said in a previous post, you cant get a lifetime sub to TSW. Funcom stopped offering them.

Funcom is still offering their lifetime subscription to TSW, because I just did it.

As I pointed out, dropping $200 bucks on any mmo is a gamble these days, but if I get 1 year of total play with TSW, well it paid for itself.

However, most of the new gamers today dont stay very long like they used to since the market is saturated with mmo's of all sorts, so I can see why they wouldn't pay $200 for a mmorpg. Me, I am not your typical mmo gamer, I usually stick with a mmorpg for years. Anarchy Online was my 1st mmo and I still go to it (wish they had a lifetime sub)  as well as STO and LoTRO, so I got my moneys worth from both of them as well.

I honestly don't think any MMO every gave me a year total play... i played games like gemstone and dragonrealms for several years but those were MUDs...  to many come out nowadays to be locked down to just one. Also most themeparks are not built with longevity in mind it seems.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AnthonyMSAnthonyMS Member Posts: 33

For me, I'm thinking of just buying a subscriptions worth of FP (Funcom Points) every month to build up to the eventual total F2P conversion people speculate will happen. I'm in love with it enough to try and support it; but, my computer isn't really able to play it atm (at least the 2 betas I played showed me that) so I don't want to subscribe if I can't really play it. Also my one hatred of Gold subscription in CO is that if I ever have to stop subscribing I've been basically exchanging my $15 for $5 worth of CP because everything "Free for Gold" is revoked. So I'd like to get my complete moneys worth of FP.

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86

I managed to get 5 wonderful years out of City of Heroes / Villains. That's $900 in subscription fees. It seems that TSW offers interesting gameplay and even more interesting content. For me, it's a no-brainer so I'm a Lifer. YMMV of course.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

The way games go F2P, I would never buy a lifetime subscription.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I honestly don't think any MMO every gave me a year total play... i played games like gemstone and dragonrealms for several years but those were MUDs...  to many come out nowadays to be locked down to just one. Also most themeparks are not built with longevity in mind it seems.

I miss my GSIII days so fun and no graphics but the player made content etc was amazing. With the recent track record of MMOs though no matter how much I like this game alifetime sub is a stretch for me atm.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Saxonblade
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I miss my GSIII days so fun and no graphics but the player made content etc was amazing. With the recent track record of MMOs though no matter how much I like this game alifetime sub is a stretch for me atm.

yea played GSIII for a couple years and then went to DR then to GSIV for another couple years.. before that played random MUDs on zmud for years... but those had so much variety which is lacking in games these days.. guess it's easier to do in text based in a way though

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

^ This for me as well. 14 month and it has payed for it's self Lift Time is $199 and 14 mo = $209.

Very few MMORPGs don't make the 1-2 year mark, before F2P when it was P2P,

and not one AAA in 7mo or less has gone from P2P ot F2P that I know of (even DCUO made it about a 9mo. - 1 year).

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Got mine.

I played through the beta weekends & was hooked, I go with my gut on these things as I've not been let down by my instincts so far. If I really like a game once I've played it I stick with it 'cause very few really click for me.

• oscultonosculton Member Posts: 4

I remember the same  discussion with megaupload.

Seriusly...

Lifetime sub?

Are you crazy?

Games going F2P because every game will be multiplayer in the near future

Subscription fees only for basic subscription is Madness¡¡¡

If you wanna pay, feel free to pay, I can give you my paypal account for donations.

I think this game is not worth a single $ or Euro.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

For me it's a no. I did however get into the game and am planning on getting it but just to hold me over till gw2 comes out. I really liked the missions in this game but cant see myself playing past a once through. 

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Derros

meh, I never really play games long enough to warrent getting a Lifetime.

The only one I would want one for, dont sell it for exactly that reason. People play it way to long for it to be a good deal for the publisher. The game? EVE. Of course...

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

No way in hell.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• So far every game to offer a lifetime subscription has gone free to play within 18months of release. If you plan on playing those full 18 months then it may be worth it. If you don't plan on playing that time period then no it isn't worth it.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by namelessbob

So far every game to offer a lifetime subscription has gone free to play within 18months of release.

Except LOTRO...

Not disagreeing with you, but facts are facts ;)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I can count on one hand (with fingers left over) the number of MMORPG's that I've played longer than 6 months, so no, a lifetime sub would not be a good value for me in most situations.

In fact, that last two titles I've bought subs to (6 and 3 months) respectively I've ended up growing bored in the 2nd month so I think I'll stick with the monthly charge from now on.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Here's my opinion:

Lifetime subscriptions are GENERALLY a good deal.  Regardless whether the game goes F2P or not.  You figure, most games that go F2P end up giving Lifetime subbers free everything plus some cash shop cash.

That being said, it has been a LONG time since I played any MMO for greater than 6 months.  I tried TSW and didn't care for the combat at all.  So in this case it's a no for me.

Am I a lifetime subber to ANY game?  No.  I find them hard to justify.  In the time I'd earn my money back, I'd've already moved on 5-6 games.  I'm not a Raider.  I play for a story and the point at which I have to "work" and "do math" in order to enjoy my game, ruins the enjoyment.  End-games are not for me.  I get it.  Because I know that, I know what to stay away from.

• RonmelRonmel Member Posts: 7

I think Funcom is a company that will and want to think outside the box and try new thing with the genre, and I want to support this by buying the lifetime sub. Another pluss for me, is that this is a Norwegian company and I want to suport the little of  norwegian game industry we got. I also think they have made some good games earlier that have made me have some good  fun for years. I think The Secret World will be a good game and entertain me for a long time. I have been a closed beta tester for a year.

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

With so many decent games going F2P, I cant see many up and comers making it for too long with the subscription model.

This is obviously just my opinion, I find it difficult to justify spending the money on a subscription when theres games like GW2 coming out. I know that GW2 isnt everyone's kind of play style but it will have a fair size player base.

• oblitrifyoblitrify Member Posts: 14

Nope. The iffy state that MMOs are released in these days doesn't inspire confidence. I won't be buying any lifetime subs to any games until they prove themselves first. AoC had such a lovely release (sarcasm) that I'm hoping TSW far surpasses the glowing standard Funcom set with it. I don't think they will, though. I'm really hoping they prove me wrong, that they not only have a successful release but one that blows everyone's mind to the point that we're all questioning why we doubted them in the first place. 

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195
    Originally posted by LachyFTW

Why would you buy a lifetime sub to a game that it's clearly going F2P, anyone with any kind of MMO experience can see this coming a mile away.

And I see a ton of lawsuits coming if it does.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

People who buy lifetime subs in 2012 really don't know much about the MMO industry or gaming trends in general.

The notion that you will only play 1 MMO and no other games for many years is completely nonsensical these days.

A proper gamer will consume a MMO's content in a month or two, unsub and take a month or two off to play other games and return once there is more content. Playing just 1 game all the time makes no sense when there are so many quality games of multiple genres out at the same time.

The only people who stick around in 1 MMO after clearing all content with nothing to do are the no-lifers who don't do anything else (they're the ones hanging around stormwind/orgrimmar 2-3 weeks before a new tier, just idling at the bank/AH) and also don't play other games when they've exhausted their "current MMO" - and that's really not a healthy way to game.