Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone still tempted to buy the lifetime sub?

Comments

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

I bought the lifetime and glad they offered it.Even if it ends up ftp I figure it would be a hybrid ftp like Lotro and if that happens you would probably end up with 500 cash/points a month to spend in the shop.Been a lifer in Lotro since launch and it was well worth it.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Magnum2103
    .  Knowing Funcom's previous track record you might be waiting as long as a year before you get a decent amount of content to renew a subscription at that point for another month.  It will likely take 4-5 years before you see any benefit to having a lifetime sub, and at that point there is a large likelihood you quit playing the game altogether not to mention it's very likely to F2P at that point.

I think a lot of that depends on how well the game does. Seems to me part of what took so long with adding anything in AoC was the amount of items that needed fixed/revamped and how poor the game did at retention. While this games has its bugs it is nowhere near as bad as AoC was. So least they won't have that hang up.

The problem is going to be since this game is story oriented I would imagine it will be a bit more involved in adding additional content than you see in some mmos. Of course, who knows how much they may have in the pipeline. Hopefully tons...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Panthien
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Didn't people say Rift would go F2P in 6-12 months?

People say that about every game nowadays, mostly people who never seen been in the game. To make it funny.. Ive even found some saying GW2 will go f2p in 6 months, I couldnt get myself to tell them..

Rofl! GW2 ftp in 6 month's,that's precious :)

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

If you play <inert game name> too much you will run out of content and the game will go F2P or some variation there of eventually.

Those who jump on the band wagon also jump off.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Yes, people will say that about any new release.

Rift has a few things going for it that keep it from going F2P that TSW may not have (or may):

• Regular (as in monthly) major content updates.
    • Well polished content, very little bugs. (This allows the developers to focus on content)
    • Lots of finacial backing.

Though I have no clue on actual numbers I hear Rift is hemorrhaging at the moment due to TSW and GW2 on the horizon so there is a good chance they'll switch to F2P soon.  Even now I think they'd benefit from going F2P, but I have no actual data to back that up.

I don't expect TSW to go F2P in less than a year, but I do think that even if you play TSW semi-hardcore (10 hours a week) you'll only get two or three months of play out of the game before you run out of content and have to end up waiting for me, where you really should cancel your subscription.  Knowing Funcom's previous track record you might be waiting as long as a year before you get a decent amount of content to renew a subscription at that point for another month.  It will likely take 4-5 years before you see any benefit to having a lifetime sub, and at that point there is a large likelihood you quit playing the game altogether not to mention it's very likely to F2P at that point.

Rift is definately doing alot of things right, but the game was released with its own more then fair share of bugs, I wont bother to go into ballance issues.. T2 dungeons especially where.. painfull, even the T1's. I had fun playing it, their release was decent but I wouldnt go as far as saying they had very little amounth of bugs.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Originally posted by Baddogbill

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ....this is headed f2p

Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by Baddogbill

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ....this is headed f2p

I think mmorpg should implement a system where if you post X amount of time in a game fourm an icon of that games logo should pop up next to your name.

LMAO!!!! THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That would be amazing tbh

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I'm not even tempted to buy the game, its just yet another generic boring themepark with just a diffrent setting. I played the closed beta and wasn't really impressed, the game got boring for me fairly fast because really it has nothing special to it. Just had that been there done that feeling like most of these themeparks do. I really can't understand why people give so much praise to these mmo's where all you do really is follow a fairly linear series of quests till you hit cap, then raid for gear that has no more real purpose anymore, since they usualy seperate pvp and pve gear which is a stupid move. imo Raid gear should be the best pvp gear, it gives a reason to raid thats valid.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Yes, people will say that about any new release.

Rift has a few things going for it that keep it from going F2P that TSW may not have (or may):

• Regular (as in monthly) major content updates.
    • Well polished content, very little bugs. (This allows the developers to focus on content)
    • Lots of finacial backing.

Though I have no clue on actual numbers I hear Rift is hemorrhaging at the moment due to TSW and GW2 on the horizon so there is a good chance they'll switch to F2P soon.  Even now I think they'd benefit from going F2P, but I have no actual data to back that up.

I don't expect TSW to go F2P in less than a year, but I do think that even if you play TSW semi-hardcore (10 hours a week) you'll only get two or three months of play out of the game before you run out of content and have to end up waiting for me, where you really should cancel your subscription.  Knowing Funcom's previous track record you might be waiting as long as a year before you get a decent amount of content to renew a subscription at that point for another month.  It will likely take 4-5 years before you see any benefit to having a lifetime sub, and at that point there is a large likelihood you quit playing the game altogether not to mention it's very likely to F2P at that point.

Thats considering funcoming puts absolutely NOTHING into game after launch. Call me an optimist (rare), but I think FC will be pushing out new zones, new dungeons, new pvp battlegrounds and warzones... sooooo, yea.. they will keep this p2p model for atleast a year.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Cant afford it right now..or in the forseeable future..but I would if I could..If I had $200 and no other expenses...Lifetime would so be mine.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

I thought about buying lifetime sub when they first announced it as I loved the concept, but after playing beta the game simply didn't grab me the way I thought it would.  I liked the stories, but didn't care for the fact that I couldn't interact with NPCs.  Thing that really did it for me was the combat animations.  I am holding off on buying the game for now and probably wouldn't invest in LTS ever.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Rift is definately doing alot of things right, but the game was released with its own more then fair share of bugs, I wont bother to go into ballance issues.. T2 dungeons especially where.. painfull, even the T1's. I had fun playing it, their release was decent but I wouldnt go as far as saying they had very little amounth of bugs.

Balance issues were a major problem yes, but TSW has a similar system and will have just as many problems.  Heck, if we want to talk balance issues Age of Conan had the most severe balance issues I've ever seen in a MMO (not just with the classes where it was definitely the worst balancing I've seen, but content tuning in general).  TSW does at least feel like it has the right balance in terms of content at least, so it has that much going for it.

As for bugs I didn't really experience very many in Rift.  In T2 the last boss of Charmer's Caldera was bugged for a long time.  Some achievements were bugged, but they weren't necessary to game completion.  Raid instances had a few bugs (Greenscale in particular) and Hammerknell was very buggy on release, but I'd have to say Rift had the least amount of bugs of any major MMO release I've seen.

Compare that to my experience in TSW Beta (I love parts of the game and will be playing it at release so don't get me wrong here) where I've already experienced numerous bugs in only a few days playing.  It feels to me right now to be about as buggy as Age of Conan was at release which isn't good at all.  Definitely going to be a lot of work to be done before the devs can get start focusing on content updates.

I still think anyone who even suggests a lifetime sub is out of their mind, but hey it's your money to throw away, do what you want with it.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Agricola1
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

It will be F2P within 6 months, so no way.

Can you tell me 1 mmo that went f2p in 6 months?

Persoanlly, i'd only buy 1 LTS for a sondbox anyway. While i like the game alot, i don't feel themeparks are worth it all.

Gods and Heroes, offered a lifetime subscription for $150 and went F2P in 2 months.

Do I get a prize?

(BTW if the prize is a lifetime sub to TSW I'll take the money instead!)

You win. And you get an internet cookie, but only if you share image

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Balance issues were a major problem yes, but TSW has a similar system and will have just as many problems.  Heck, if we want to talk balance issues Age of Conan had the most severe balance issues I've ever seen in a MMO (not just with the classes where it was definitely the worst balancing I've seen, but content tuning in general).  TSW does at least feel like it has the right balance in terms of content at least, so it has that much going for it.

As for bugs I didn't really experience very many in Rift.  In T2 the last boss of Charmer's Caldera was bugged for a long time.  Some achievements were bugged, but they weren't necessary to game completion.  Raid instances had a few bugs (Greenscale in particular) and Hammerknell was very buggy on release, but I'd have to say Rift had the least amount of bugs of any major MMO release I've seen.

Compare that to my experience in TSW Beta (I love parts of the game and will be playing it at release so don't get me wrong here) where I've already experienced numerous bugs in only a few days playing.  It feels to me right now to be about as buggy as Age of Conan was at release which isn't good at all.  Definitely going to be a lot of work to be done before the devs can get start focusing on content updates.

I still think anyone who even suggests a lifetime sub is out of their mind, but hey it's your money to throw away, do what you want with it.

Ballance always is an issue, and yes aoc definately had them on the otherhand, I have yet to play a game with a bigger FOTM class issue. I was one of the 1st few to reach the max lvl, I ran into ALOT of issues leveling up, granted they did have a decent fix rate, dungeons where buggy as sin, (un)fortunately they also came with alot of exploits and sweetspots making them doable, it took some time before the sweetspots where fixed but they where one of the biggest reason why alot of rather large bugs seemed less apperant.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by maitrader
    Originally posted by Baddogbill Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ....this is headed f2p Originally posted by bcbully Originally posted by Baddogbill Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ....this is headed f2p
    I think mmorpg should implement a system where if you post X amount of time in a game forum an icon of that games logo should pop up next to your name.
    LMAO!!!! THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That would be amazing tbh

Better yet if the community could vote whether the posts in whatever forum were positive or negative, although it would be open to abuse. That aside, it would be nice to skip some of the more long-winded replies when they just overwhelmingly dislike a game and feel the need to change others' minds.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

It isn't even anywhere near as buggy as AOC was. Not even close. I mean the list of issues with AOC was so vast you could write a fucking thesus on it and how to not launch an mmo.

This isn't to say TSW is bug free. Certainly has its issues. I think the oddest one(s) are how quests seem to work fine in some shards while they're totally borked in others. Not sure how that works. Unfortunately, I get the feeling those ones will not be fixed by launch.

I don't think this game is worth a lifetime sub. Least not for me. I do think it is worth purchasing though

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Mute point now, as Funcom pulled the plug on lifetime subs last nite.

As for the game, its unbelievable. the depth in which you gain abilities and create different builds is great. Dungeons with cool design and challenging bosses. You can do it all.

The questing is over the top fun. so much diversity, atmosphere, and story telling. One quest you've crash landed an RC airplane you were flying and now must go disable the EMP towers that made it happen. Another, you're hiding behind some boxes listening to a group of radicals plotting an attack. This game will suck you in most definately!

Last nite late, just before i was going to log, I dinged a faction rank. I was automatically given a new quest to go to New York. Upon arrival, I was instructed to follow an npc to a meeting, remaining out of sight. She led me to a multi-level underground parking garage where the meeting was supposedly taking place. I had to sneakely descend thru the levels to find it, all the while avoiding the badass criminals lurking about. Problem was it got too dark to see. You found a box of flares you could toss out for an eerie red light and a miners cap with a flashlight that barely lit your way. It was scary! I about jumped out of my chair 10 times, lol. Talk about mood and atmosphere!...I wont spoil the rest.

What fun! I'm hooked. I'll stick to monthly. 15 a month is not much. Funcom is trying hard to make it a successful launch. They are fixing and adding patchess almost nitely.

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

I played beta, i believe it will works (believe me ^_^) so i think lifetime sub is interesting is you are engaging yourself in that game

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I may wait a while before I get this one. I played the beta, and it was fun and all shooting zombies, seeing nude demons, and such. But for some reason I feel like something is not quite right about it. I bought Tera, so Ill probably buy this eventually.

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Zaltark

I may wait a while before I get this one. I played the beta, and it was fun and all shooting zombies, seeing nude demons, and such. But for some reason I feel like something is not quite right about it. I bought Tera, so Ill probably buy this eventually.

I had the same impression, the combat is fun and all but it seems like it's missing something to me. Also the no pvp server thing stopped me from really considering the game, it honestly makes no sense why they didn't add a few servers like that they are losing subs. Down the road when a free trial hits I will give it a shot again to see whats changed, and may get it.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227

Under the financial point of view, for most companies, getting 200 € / $ now rather than 300 in 2 years can be a very viable solution. This not necessarily due to FC's problems, it may also mean that they prefer to get more cash today to fund other projects/TWS developement. I am confident that the mere presence of a lifetime sub does not mean the company is already planning to run with the money, so to speak.

The question for me is:

Is the freedom a lifetime sub gives you,( logging in whenever you like without beeing arsed about cancelling sub or renewing) worth the risk of gettin bored before you break even?

I'm not going to get it, also because to play AoC at launch I ended up buying the game twice (the retail box arrived 2 months later and I tough it was lost for good - no refund btw) and playing it only for its free month. 

If you decide to get it, watch out  where you wear the pitonskin jacket they give you. The activists from Morninglight may not like your style and decide to beat you bloody.

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

Im lucky i dint payd life time sub,i was about to do it since TSW seemd the best mmo to paly untill archeage is released,,,but after try tera i find the game with the best combat system ever,still it is a waste of a good combat style in a silly quest-instancing themepark simple game

I so wish archeage adopt teras combat style

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Like I said in a previous post, you cant get a lifetime sub to TSW. Funcom stopped offering them.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

Like I said in a previous post, you cant get a lifetime sub to TSW. Funcom stopped offering them.

Not true at all. I can still purchase one through my account management. Not that I would ever buy one but Funcom is still offering them if anyone is interested.

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

This game is fun, I like story and settings and preordered it becouse of that reason, but I will never buy lifetime sub.

If you ask why reason is simple its themepark and themeparks have limited lifespan, similar to the old republic. It's fun for a while but after that while it gets borring and repetitive. TOR lifespan for me at least was 3 months, here i think it may be much longer if developers pump out enough content fast enough.

In sandbox mmos players create they own content so the lifespan can be far far longer, always something diffrent to do and lots of interaction with other players.

Here we are practically at the mercy of the developers and after a while new games came out, maybe better maybe worse, but lifetime sub is commitement for at least a year and half to get full ROI of lifetime and to be perfectly honest I doubt any themepark can catch my attention for that long.

Live long and prosper.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Except for SWTOR, this would be the last game I would buy a lifetime for......Once the main quest lkine is done, which probably wont be all that long, I think players will find maxing skills and PVP to be very boring and move on to another game..... I jsut cant see players enjoying this for several years like we did with EQ, UO, DAoC and some of the older MMOs.