Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone still tempted to buy the lifetime sub?

Comments

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Sameer1979
    Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by channel84

Bought the life time sub package

-Funcom have manage to launch quality content steadily in the pass (AO, AOC)

-Game is fun (Obviously)

-The nature of the game makes me want to not worry about sub and explore every nook and cranny in a epic slow way

-Ragnar

-Support a company that doesn't make a WoW clone....yes ToR and Rift i'm looking at you

lol wut

Linear heavily instanced themepark with a linear story shoved down your ear drums. The TSW class system is allmost exactly the same as rift's just with a wheel instead of a tree.

Please stop buying into the marketing hype, I beg of you.

Brrrrrrr...three strikes..you are out.

How ever the comparison with Rift really made me laugh out loud...i think i scard my cat.

Rift: You can mix and match skills/spells/buffs into a build, restricted buy a tree system.

TSW: You can mix and match skills/spells/buffs into a build, restricted buy a wheel system.

ROFL........ you are right it is exactly the same. lol

No they are not exactly alike but they do share a lot of simularities.  

Rift makes you pick amoung four classes at level one where TSW doesn't.

Both let you mix and match abilties among a list.  Rift limits what you can pick by points required to buy up a tree where TSW limits by having 7 active and 7 passive slots and limits you to one elite ablity per.

Both let you switch between builds at anytime out of combat.

TSW has a lot of built in limitations because of how the builders / spenders work and how ablities require other effects on the mob to take advantage of.  Only a handful of weapons accually mesh well together.

Both sytems have their pluses and minuses but in the end neither one feels like a true classless system to me like Morrowind.

Thanks for explaining it, I really couldnt be bothered typing it out since certian types of 'posters' here will reply with hurrr irregardless if you write a 500 page essay or a one liner.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by JuJutsu
    Originally posted by LachyFTW

Why would you buy a lifetime sub to a game that it's clearly going F2P, anyone with any kind of MMO experience can see this coming a mile away.

I don't see it coming and I'll match my mmo experience with yours any day.

How can you not?  The game is launching rough especially the combat and animations.  It's not going to get great reviews in the press and will be lucky to sell three quarters of a million copies.  Funcom is going to be buried the first 6 months just bug hunting and trying to catch up fixing the issues with the systems and by the time they get around to new content they will be lucky to have 10% of that number left.  One only needs to look at SW:TOR to see how that's going to go.

It will be F2P in less than a year.

Just like how SWTOR was going to be F2P in 6 months? i really can't take people like you seriously anymore. It is same song and dance at every new MMO release.

TSW is a niche game and they are starting small. They are not going for mass consumption and overconfident about their product like SWTOR.

I will eat my hat if TSW goes F2P in less than a year, but then again you won't be here or even bother to admit that you were wrong just like other 100's of fortune tellers on mmorpg.com One goes another 100 take its place.

Thanks for explaining it, I really couldnt be bothered typing it out since certian types of 'posters' here will reply with hurrr irregardless if you write a 500 page essay or a one liner.

You are thanking him as if he over reached any less than you, only difference he did it in a paragraph. lol
  • dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by dadante666

Funcom know soon that game will be f2p is obvius thats why they make lifetime sub so theyc an make lot of proofit before game drop  from sub and become f2p sadly the game deserve to be f2p and stop the embarass of being sub and soon be f2p cause either way its going to happen like it or not .sub game are not worth now days ,ty god gw2 already is making that change in the genre and future style play

While it is true that unless this game has an unexpected huge longterm following it will eventually go freemium but not for at least a year and a half to 2 years and those that have a lifetime sub wont have to be concerned about missing out on anything from the premium end of freemium or easily adding content to play without a monthly fee to access it..

I agree that FTP and B2P are going to dominate and bring an end to monthly subs at some point in the not so distant future but for now those that really like TSW and can see themselves playing it a good while and or wanting to quit and return later without a monthly sub cant go wrong with a lifetime sub..

Freemium will only be activated to try and repopulate the game and also to try and hook the free players into a sub and or buying from the CS and lifetime subbers wont have any of that in their face ever..

I prefer B2P if the game is from a reputable company but lifetime subs are my favorite form of mmo sub when they are offered and quite acceptable to me if i really like the game..

I should mention that while i liked the beta weekends of TSW i didnt like it quite enough to warrant buying the game..

But i can see where this game will be an awesome game to many and is likely funcoms best offering yet..

Playing GW2..

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Thanks for explaining it, it really couldnt be bothered typing it out since certian types of 'posters' here will reply with hurrr irregardless if you write a 500 page essay or a one liner.

Seems you guys are arguing different points. Which is odd because every game limits in the sense that you and the person you quoted are referencing so kind of moot to even bring that up.

Far as what they were arguing they aren't the same. Pretty cut and dry.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

It will be F2P within 6 months, so no way.

Can you tell me 1 mmo that went f2p in 6 months?

Persoanlly, i'd only buy 1 LTS for a sondbox anyway. While i like the game alot, i don't feel themeparks are worth it all.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

-Game is fun (Obviously)

-The nature of the game makes me want to not worry about sub and explore every nook and cranny in a epic slow way

-Ragnar

-Support a company that doesn't make a WoW clone....yes ToR and Rift i'm looking at you

lol wut

Linear heavily instanced themepark with a linear story shoved down your ear drums. The TSW class system is allmost exactly the same as rift's just with a wheel instead of a tree.

How ever the comparison with Rift really made me laugh out loud...i think i scard my cat.

Rift: You can mix and match skills/spells/buffs into a build, restricted buy a tree system.

TSW: You can mix and match skills/spells/buffs into a build, restricted buy a wheel system.

I played Rift for over a year, played in Beta for the 4 TSW BWE and you are wrong.

Rift you can mix and match LIMITED skills within your CLASS tree. If I wanted my warrior to learn Chloromancer spells....tough luck, wrong class, wrong tree.

In RIFT you have access to an entire tree but are restricted to the other 3 trees.

In TSW you have access to the entire forrest. In fact you have access to the whole bloody forrest...on every continent...even the continents you didn't know where there!

TSW has NO and I mean NO restrictions to what skills you can learn and what skills you can use eventually. NONE. You can build a Full on Tank or Healer, add some DPS, make your healer into a healer/tank, or give your dps character a few self heals, add some CC to your tank...or your healer...or ypur dps build.

Sorry, but your statement here is totally wrong.

The game may have some issues in other area's but do not spout bullshit about the skillwheel system when you are either ignorant or lying.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Why would you buy a lifetime sub to a game that it's clearly going F2P, anyone with any kind of MMO experience can see this coming a mile away.

How can you not?  The game is launching rough especially the combat and animations.  It's not going to get great reviews in the press and will be lucky to sell three quarters of a million copies.  Funcom is going to be buried the first 6 months just bug hunting and trying to catch up fixing the issues with the systems and by the time they get around to new content they will be lucky to have 10% of that number left.  One only needs to look at SW:TOR to see how that's going to go.

Just like how SWTOR was going to be F2P in 6 months? i really can't take people like you seriously anymore. It is same song and dance at every new MMO release.

TSW is a niche game and they are starting small. They are not going for mass consumption and overconfident about their product like SWTOR.

I will eat my hat if TSW goes F2P in less than a year, but then again you won't be here or even bother to admit that you were wrong just like other 100's of fortune tellers on mmorpg.com One goes another 100 take its place.

You are thanking him as if he over reached any less than you, only difference he did it in a paragraph. lol

Look at my account age.  I'm not going anywhere and if you want to post a I told you so post in a year and quote my orginal prediction I'll fully admit I was wrong.

And btw I said a year not 6 months.  I still think SW:TOR will be F2P by year end or at least very close to it.

Look at my account age.  I'm not going anywhere and if you want to post a I told you so post in a year and quote my orginal prediction I'll fully admit I was wrong.

And btw I said a year not 6 months.  I still think SW:TOR will be F2P by year end or at least very close to it.

Sure buddy, tag this topic, like i said i will eat my hat if TSW goes F2P in less than a year. A niche game has more chances of survival than a MMO which opens with 100 servers and falls flat on its face because of over confidence and BW's ego issues.

You are confusing TSW with a MMO like GW2 or SWTOR where companies target is to beat WOW in sales.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

-Game is fun (Obviously)

-Ragnar

lol wut

I played Rift for over a year, played in Beta for the 4 TSW BWE and you are wrong.

Rift you can mix and match LIMITED skills within your CLASS tree. If I wanted my warrior to learn Chloromancer spells....tough luck, wrong class, wrong tree.

In RIFT you have access to an entire tree but are restricted to the other 3 trees.

In TSW you have access to the entire forrest. In fact you have access to the whole bloody forrest...on every continent...even the continents you didn't know where there!

TSW has NO and I mean NO restrictions to what skills you can learn and what skills you can use eventually. NONE. You can build a Full on Tank or Healer, add some DPS, make your healer into a healer/tank, or give your dps character a few self heals, add some CC to your tank...or your healer...or ypur dps build.

Sorry, but your statement here is totally wrong.

The game may have some issues in other area's but do not spout bullshit about the skillwheel system when you are either ignorant or lying.

TSW's restrictions are more hidden were Rifts are obvious.  The devs call it Synergy but it's really a way for them to force people into predetermined builds without appearing to limit choice.  

Sure you can slap any 7 active and 7 passive skills on your bar you want but chances are they won't be very effective with each other.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I believe TSW might go freemium - but not before they have released their first expansion. For AO and Aoc it both took them 3 years to go Freemium. If you want to play a F2P Funcom game, you would have to play http://www.petsvsmonsters.com/ or http://www.fashionweeklive.com/

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

ToR is going FTP. The 6 month guess was pretty acurate actually. 

Rift, you can combine any 4 classes into a build with generally give or take 20-30 spells/skills/abilities which you can totaly start from scratch or swap out any at any time for a fee, effectivley allowing a single char to have every skill availble depending on this choices in a tree.

TSW, you can combine any roles into a build with 7 actives and 7 passives for a total of 14 skills/spells which you can totaly start from scratch or swap out at any time effectivley allowing a single char to have every skill availble depending on this choices in a wheel.

While the TSW system is better/free than the rift system in a few respects, its also alot more confining since you can only have a total of 14, irregardless of what you choose. Also the fact that many skills/spells in TSW need to synergise with another to get the full benefit your choice of one skill/spell is directly affected by the choice of another.

Dont get me wrong, I'm no Rift fanboi, I hate it as much as every other vapid clone.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

You know.. Funcom isnt blizzard, they actually do have content planned out, good portion is practicly ready to be implimented.

Sure the game has bugs, sure they'll have to work hard on it to fix them, then again I cant think of any mmo that doesnt have bugs and doesnt have their hands full trying to fix them, heck some of them often ends up performing 10-30 emergency patches in the 1st 2 weeks after its implimented.

I ran into my share of bugs on TSW but, the majority arent even worth mentioning, so far Ive found 1 mission I cant complete because of it, in Egypt, I havent found anything worth mention or uncompleteble beyone it. Ill take your word for it if there are other missions now, Ill have to back track to see.

Now personally I dont care IF they go F2P, even as lifetimer you still get your perks, not worth it to all but you DO get them.

This has nothing to do with lifetime subs but, imo MMO's give a rather big bang for your buck. I know that it will entertain me for a few months, when I look at singleplayer games even the ones with multiplay options, they offer a few hours of gameplay to complete, Crysis2 for instance took less then 6 hours, costs the same though. Ive completed it quite a few times but it still didnt get close to 1 single month of actual gameplay in any given mmo Ive played. The principle remains with pretty much with every single type of non mmo game.

Who knows maybe thats why I actually have fun with the (mmo) games I play.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

===============================================================================================

udon

I think back to the mess of half finished MMO's released in 2010 and 2011 and The Old Republic feels like a breath of fresh air.

================================================================================================

Can anyone really take what Udon says seriously.

Sure buddy, tag this topic, like i said i will eat my hat if TSW goes F2P in less than a year. A niche game has more chances of survival than a MMO which opens with 100 servers and falls flat on its face because of over confidence and BW's ego issues.

You are confusing TSW with a MMO like GW2 or SWTOR where companies target is to beat WOW in sales.

In all fairness, from what I remember that someone else posted a while back their prognosis for sales for this game are pretty lofty. Can't remember the exact figures but I remember when the article was posted i believed them to be nuts because I didn't see them reaching those figures. While I do think the game is going to do moderately well success wise least far as what I would consider a success not sure they will. We'll see...

EDIT: Wow, what a garbled mess that post was. Apparently I need more coffee.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

No restrictions?

Only 7 actives and 7 passives can be equipped at one time.

Only 1 "Elite" active and passive can be equipped at a time.

You can only equip 2 weapon sets at one time, meaning you can really only spec into 2 broad paths at one time (for example you can't do Blood Magic, Elementalist, AND Hammers).  You can spec into Misc trees (of which there are 3 small paths) though without needing the specific weapon.

You cannot switch out skills in combat.

You are limited by where you spent AP.  Though it's possible to unlock everything it will take a while.  Generally a new character will only be able to go down one or two paths and probably won't branch into their second weapon set (much less a widely adaptable skill set) until at least 20 hours into the game.

Comparisons to Rift (or any other game) is fine, but let's avoid talking in absolutes here.  These are obvious restrictions.

Prepretuum is a niche game, Mech Warrior Online is a niche game, TSW is a AAA title and is being marketed as one.

This is the first time I have made this kind of prediction btw but after watching the last few years of AAA titles being released and spending a few months in TSW CB I feel pretty confident about it.  I will go as far as to say that Funcom probably already has a business plan that has taken it into account.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Didn't people say Rift would go F2P in 6-12 months?

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

People say that about every game nowadays, mostly people who never seen been in the game. To make it funny.. Ive even found some saying GW2 will go f2p in 6 months, I couldnt get myself to tell them..

Prepretuum is a niche game, Mech Warrior Online is a niche game, TSW is a AAA title and is being marketed as one.

This is the first time I have made this kind of prediction btw but after watching the last few years of AAA titles being released and spending a few months in TSW CB I feel pretty confident about it.  I will go as far as to say that Funcom probably already has a business plan that has taken it into account.

Of course they do. What company wouldn't have a business plan for that now?

Far as your prediction goes it most certainly will go f2p at some point. I highly doubt it will be within a year though.

Since when a AAA MMO can't be a niche? niche is by design and not how much money you put into it. 

AAA MMO can be a niche just as how a low budget MMO can be made for pure mass appeal.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

This game might have a good month or two of single player fun, then? A lifetime of regret (for those with the lifetime sub).

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

It will be F2P within 6 months, so no way.

Can you tell me 1 mmo that went f2p in 6 months?

Persoanlly, i'd only buy 1 LTS for a sondbox anyway. While i like the game alot, i don't feel themeparks are worth it all.

Gods and Heroes, offered a lifetime subscription for $150 and went F2P in 2 months.

Do I get a prize?

(BTW if the prize is a lifetime sub to TSW I'll take the money instead!)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

since it's funcom... never tempted to buy anything...

They'll just cross you with their F2P model soonish, not to mention they already have a cash shop.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by korent1991

since it's funcom... never tempted to buy anything...

They'll just cross you with their F2P model soonish, not to mention they already have a cash shop.

Even if they do cross us you know that those with life time sub will still retain the benefit? F2P is a gimmick anyways, in AOC F2P model i still pay 15 bucks a month because it is lot cheaper than unlocking stuff in cash shop. I sometimes wish AOC had a lifetime sub so that all i pay for is expansions.

F2P or not lifetime sub is the best deal.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Yes, people will say that about any new release.

Rift has a few things going for it that keep it from going F2P that TSW may not have (or may):

• Regular (as in monthly) major content updates.
    • Well polished content, very little bugs. (This allows the developers to focus on content)
    • Lots of finacial backing.

Though I have no clue on actual numbers I hear Rift is hemorrhaging at the moment due to TSW and GW2 on the horizon so there is a good chance they'll switch to F2P soon.  Even now I think they'd benefit from going F2P, but I have no actual data to back that up.

I don't expect TSW to go F2P in less than a year, but I do think that even if you play TSW semi-hardcore (10 hours a week) you'll only get two or three months of play out of the game before you run out of content and have to end up waiting for me, where you really should cancel your subscription.  Knowing Funcom's previous track record you might be waiting as long as a year before you get a decent amount of content to renew a subscription at that point for another month.  It will likely take 4-5 years before you see any benefit to having a lifetime sub, and at that point there is a large likelihood you quit playing the game altogether not to mention it's very likely to F2P at that point.