Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone still tempted to buy the lifetime sub?

Comments

• blackhawkzzblackhawkzz Member Posts: 53

I've lifetimed mainly because i've  been in closed beta for over 2 months and still loving the game.

All I can say is anyone saying the crap about it going f2p in 6months or whatever don't seem to realise all of funcom's other AAA games are freemium not f2p you still have to pay a subscription price for age of conan to get the full content the game has to offer.

Still making the lifetime sub a good investment choice if you like the game whether the game goes freemium or not in 6months who cares how others feel about the game if you enjoy playing.

• rrawsonrrawson Member Posts: 2

I bought a lifetime sub for mainly two reasons:

1). Funcom doesn't abandon their games

2). Even if it does go F2P, you'll still get everything for "free" that you'd have to pay money for in the F2P conversion anyway.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by bcbully

I think mmorpg should implement a system where if you post X amount of time in a game fourm an icon of that games logo should pop up next to your name.

I think that MMORPG should implement a system where if you post blatent hype about a game in a forum over and over again you get a special logo next to your name.  Can you guess what that logo would be?

I dont mind honest opinions on games but the excessive hype is just as bad as the extreme negativity.  Both sides shouting at each other accomplishes nothing.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

Got mine a long time ago. I stil kick myself for not buying LOTRO life sub.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Denambren

Also throwing my warning out there - this game will be F2P in a year or less. Let the buyer beware with this game.

Having seen beta - not impressed at all. This game is far less polished than Age of Conan was at release, so take that how you will.

Simple example of lack of quality control: click on some NPCs and they will say a line or two to you while you run around. Now if you click on this NPC while he's talking, he starts his voice audio PLAYED RIGHT OVER what he's already saying. If you keep clicking the NPC, the NPC starts the audio file over and over again, until you have this buzzing noise like being in a room filled with a hundred people talking at once. I mean.. come on, this many years of production, and they miss something as simple as limiting an NPC's audio speech to one track at a time?

The genre is cool and original, so I can respect that, but Age of Conan was also filled with huge potential in its ultra violence, nudify, and mature themes. Age of Conan failed and dropped to F2P, and I feel the Secret World will do the same, but much sooner.

Not going to happen, too much to do.

Your reason or example of why is an audio bug? You guys areally reaching now.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Originally posted by bcbully

I think mmorpg should implement a system where if you post X amount of time in a game fourm an icon of that games logo should pop up next to your name.

I think that MMORPG should implement a system where if you post blatent hype about a game in a forum over and over again you get a special logo next to your name.  Can you guess what that logo would be?

I dont mind honest opinions on games but the excessive hype is just as bad as the extreme negativity.  Both sides shouting at each other accomplishes nothing.

What's hype? You can't define it. You may consider truth hype, you know? I think my system would be easier to implement. ;)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by channel84

Bought the life time sub package

-Funcom have manage to launch quality content steadily in the pass (AO, AOC)

-Game is fun (Obviously)

-The nature of the game makes me want to not worry about sub and explore every nook and cranny in a epic slow way

-Ragnar

-Support a company that doesn't make a WoW clone....yes ToR and Rift i'm looking at you

lol wut

Linear heavily instanced themepark with a linear story shoved down your ear drums. The TSW class system is allmost exactly the same as rift's just with a wheel instead of a tree.

Please stop buying into the marketing hype, I beg of you.

Originally posted by karmath

-Game is fun (Obviously)

-The nature of the game makes me want to not worry about sub and explore every nook and cranny in a epic slow way

-Ragnar

-Support a company that doesn't make a WoW clone....yes ToR and Rift i'm looking at you

lol wut

Linear heavily instanced themepark with a linear story shoved down your ear drums. The TSW class system is allmost exactly the same as rift's just with a wheel instead of a tree.

Brrrrrrr...three strikes..you are out.

How ever the comparison with Rift really made me laugh out loud...i think i scard my cat.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I bought it, never regretted my LOTRO lifetime so figured may as well.

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93

Dont think so no

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

Originally posted by Sameer1979

-Game is fun (Obviously)

-Ragnar

lol wut

How ever the comparison with Rift really made me laugh out loud...i think i scard my cat.

Rift: You can mix and match skills/spells/buffs into a build, restricted buy a tree system.

TSW: You can mix and match skills/spells/buffs into a build, restricted buy a wheel system.

-Game is fun (Obviously)

-Ragnar

lol wut

Rift: You can mix and match skills/spells/buffs into a build, restricted buy a tree system.

TSW: You can mix and match skills/spells/buffs into a build, restricted buy a wheel system.

ROFL........ you are right it is exactly the same. lol

-Game is fun (Obviously)

-Ragnar

lol wut

SAGE

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181

Why would you buy a lifetime sub to a game that it's clearly going F2P, anyone with any kind of MMO experience can see this coming a mile away.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by 7star

I was pretty down on this game because it's Funcom,  but I've seen some of the pvp vids and it looks fun.

My question is  this:

• Knowing Funcom's past track record
    • Knowing the way the market is today with more and more games going f2p sooner or later
    • Knowing Funcom will charge a sub and still run a CS

What would the advantages be for you if you did buy a lifetime sub?

I'm considering a pre-purchase to get into the early access period. If you're not going to buy a lifetime, then what option for  pre-purchase do you think is best and why? If you're not going to pre-purchase, you can answer if you want. But mainly, I'm interested in the people who have bought or who are considering lifetime  subs.

If you really like the game and you can see yourself playing it for well over a year then you cant go wrong with a lifetime sub..

The biggest benefits to a lifetime sub to TSW is being able to freely access your characters and the game long after you have quit playing and after this game goes freemium in 2014 lifetime subbers will have full access to all the extras without the subscription carrot dangling in front of you whenever you want to return to play and or add new expansion content...

Even with funcoms reputation i believe its a pretty safe bet if you dig the game..

Playing GW2..

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Funcom know soon that game will be f2p is obvius thats why they make lifetime sub so theyc an make lot of proofit before game drop  from sub and become f2p sadly the game deserve to be f2p and stop the embarass of being sub and soon be f2p cause either way its going to happen like it or not .sub game are not worth now days ,ty god gw2 already is making that change in the genre and future style play

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

-Game is fun (Obviously)

-Ragnar

lol wut

SAGE

I don't play rift, but I assume you can't get every ability in the whole game on the same character? You can in TSW. The only restriction the wheel gives is the order in which you can buy them. (Inner wheel before outer wheel, each section in sequence)

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by LachyFTW

Why would you buy a lifetime sub to a game that it's clearly going F2P, anyone with any kind of MMO experience can see this coming a mile away.

I don't see it coming and I'll match my mmo experience with yours any day.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Not I

Nothing against the game though because I will be purchasing it. Just seems like a short term experience with me so not worth a life time sub. I'm guessing about three months for me. I'll probably sub maybe from time to time after major updates but that will probably be about it.

Can only think of one lifetime that I could kick myself for not getting and that would be LotR. Only one that would have saved me any money if I would have purchased it at the time.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Blackbrrd
    I don't play rift, but I assume you can't get every ability in the whole game on the same character? You can in TSW. The only restriction the wheel gives is the order in which you can buy them. (Inner wheel before outer wheel, each section in sequence)

Don't bother, his comparison is not even worth a  reply..yes it is that ridiculous. I mean he called TSW a HEAVILY instanced game in same post. He has no idea what he is talking about.

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

Yeah...he's really reaching with that comparison. They aren't the same. Rift does have some freedom in skill choice compared to many other mmos but it is not possible to make a character that can have every ability in the game.

Bad comparison

Silly argument really

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

-Game is fun (Obviously)

-Ragnar

lol wut

No they are not exactly alike but they do share a lot of simularities.  

Rift makes you pick amoung four classes at level one where TSW doesn't.

Both let you mix and match abilties among a list.  Rift limits what you can pick by points required to buy up a tree where TSW limits by having 7 active and 7 passive slots and limits you to one elite ablity per.

Both let you switch between builds at anytime out of combat.

TSW has a lot of built in limitations because of how the builders / spenders work and how ablities require other effects on the mob to take advantage of.  Only a handful of weapons accually mesh well together.

Both sytems have their pluses and minuses but in the end neither one feels like a true classless system to me like Morrowind.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

There are some really fun elements of this game.  The dialogue, overall story, atmosphere, and environments are fantastic.  Monsters are creative and good.  The instances are extremely well designed (probably even more so than Guild Wars 2).  However I would highly suggest (as you'd be out of your mind to do so) DO NOT BUY A LIFETIME SUB.

Aside from numerous bugs in beta a week at release from minor (graphical glitches) to major (crash bugs, missions not working) which points to Funcom's typical track record of poor programming and QA the amount of content is questionable at best.  It's going to be a great game for a month or two, but simply put you will not get your lifetime subs worth even if you participate in PvP often.  Out of about 9 major PvE areas of the game (and an equal amount of dungeons) we completed 2 in 2 days (investigation missions were unavailable last beta and I'm sure we missed a few quests, lore bites, and achievements here and there), meaning we'd probably have most of the PvE content complete (aside from maybe "lairs"/raids) within a month.  There just isn't enough content to support a purchase of a lifetime sub right now.  You'll probably be much better off paying off and on for a subscription at various content updates (Funcom's delivery is very slow), especially with no major benefit of a lifetime sub over a normal sub such as consistent cash shop points.

The game is also likely headed for F2P route before you get the full benefit of your lifetime sub.  Take a look at other Funcom games and other lifetime sub games:  Age of Conan, Anarchy Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Champions Online, etc.  Especially with the cash shop model already in place the transition won't be too bad for them.  It's not likely the game is going to maintain a lot of subscribers several months after release especially with competitors like Arenanet's Guild Wars 2.  (You can agrue it's an entirely different demographic, which it is, but upcoming MMOs will definitely have an impact on the # of the subs).

Purchase the game and play for a few months?  Absolutely!  Pay the lifetime subscription fee?  No, I wouldn't buy a lifetime sub to any MMO and TSW is an even riskier bet than most IMO.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by JuJutsu
    Originally posted by LachyFTW

I don't see it coming and I'll match my mmo experience with yours any day.

How can you not?  The game is launching rough especially the combat and animations not to mention missing social options like dungeon finder and guild options.  It's not going to get great reviews in the press and will be lucky to sell three quarters of a million copies.  Funcom is going to be buried the first 6 months just bug hunting and trying to catch up fixing the issues with the missing systems and by the time they get around to new content they will be lucky to have 10% of that number left.  One only needs to look at SW:TOR to see how that's going to go.

It will be F2P in less than a year.

Originally posted by Magnum2103

The game is also likely headed for F2P route before you get the full benefit of your lifetime sub.  Take a look at other Funcom games and other lifetime sub games:  Age of Conan, Anarchy Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Champions Online, etc.  Especially with the cash shop model already in place the transition won't be too bad for them.  It's not likely the game is going to maintain a lot of subscribers several months after release especially with competitors like Arenanet's Guild Wars 2.  (You can agrue it's an entirely different demographic, which it is, but upcoming MMOs will definitely have an impact on the # of the subs).

Purchase the game and play for a few months?  Absolutely!  Pay the lifetime subscription fee?  No, I wouldn't buy a lifetime sub to any MMO and TSW is an even riskier bet than most IMO.

I don't agree with your assessment of LotR on that list. Quite frankly it would have been worth getting a lifetime sub to that game assuming you enjoyed teh gameplay. I will agree that isn't the rule though and most times it does end up being not worth it.