Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell it to me and Tell me the truth...

13»

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Homitu
    2 and 3: it's as viable and as "self-gimping" as consciously choosing to ignore 1/3 of your class abilities in any other game.  Each class--minus ELE and ENG--is balanced around making use of 2 sets of weapon abilities (10 skills) and 5 combined heal, utility and elite skills (for a total of 15 skills), along with making effective use of your class's specific class mechanics (Ie. Guardian's Virtues or Necro's Death Shroud.)

Ok so, if you would be so kind sir: how would having a dual dagger set in conjunction with a dual pistol set effect my class make up and potential?

4. Short answer: no you wn't be able to play as a sapling :P  Long answer: while Sylvari character creation hasn't been made available during the BWEs thus far (and very well may not prior to release), we can judge from human and Norn character creation that they won't allow you to make absurdly disproportional characters.  In real life terms, for example, human females seemed to be able to range from about 4'10 to maybe 6'2".  The average Sylvari NPC I've seen seems to be slightly smaller than the average human.

A slyvari sapling does sound intriguing tho does it. :) Shame. its looking like asura for me.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Vutar
    BcBully posted on TSW forums saying that game had the best combat in any MMO. That is the type of "informed decision" you are going to get on a message board. In his opinion it may be the best but to the majority that statement would be ridiculous.

You can play the game and try it out. Anet freely gives back your money if you aren't satisfied. I am not sure why there is any moral issue involved here. This would be like test driving a car and then feeling morally obligated to buy it no matter whether you liked the car or not.

I kinda look at it like this, A company makes a promo effort to secure a number of box sales to accurately work out profits. Customers buy these said boxes and everything sounds fair.

By you re legging on your pre purchasing your jipping the company and giving them inaccurate data. positive data they could use to lure more investors or extend there teams.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Nitth

2 and 3: it's as viable and as "self-gimping" as consciously choosing to ignore 1/3 of your class abilities in any other game.  Each class--minus ELE and ENG--is balanced around making use of 2 sets of weapon abilities (10 skills) and 5 combined heal, utility and elite skills (for a total of 15 skills), along with making effective use of your class's specific class mechanics (Ie. Guardian's Virtues or Necro's Death Shroud.)

Ok so, if you would be so kind sir: how would having a dual dagger set in conjunction with a dual pistol set effect my class make up and potential?

4. Short answer: no you wn't be able to play as a sapling :P  Long answer: while Sylvari character creation hasn't been made available during the BWEs thus far (and very well may not prior to release), we can judge from human and Norn character creation that they won't allow you to make absurdly disproportional characters.  In real life terms, for example, human females seemed to be able to range from about 4'10 to maybe 6'2".  The average Sylvari NPC I've seen seems to be slightly smaller than the average human.

A slyvari sapling does sound intriguing tho does it. :) Shame. its looking like asura for me.

Actually, rather than dual dagger, might I suggest either Shortbow or pistol/dagger as a secondary set?

-Shortbow is the go-to range set for thief, and has GREAT aoe/combo power.

-Pistol main/dagger off's #3 ability is a melee strike that translates into a backward shadowstep/pistol shot. basically, if someone closes on you, fire this off. Then use the #4 ability to cripple them, keeping them out of your face. Or alternately use #5, a melee which puts you in stealth and take the time to slip away.

Dagger/Dagger, Dagger/Pistol, Sword/Dagger, and sword/anything are all melee focused. Since you sound like you want a ranged character, pistol/pistol, pistol/dagger, and shortbow are the sets that work best for you.

Also, to answer something from your inital post, there's utterly no reason to choose any race save backstory and design preference. No combat bonuses at all, unless you count the occasional racial only skiill (Norns summon an owl, the Charzooka, things like that)

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

2 and 3: it's as viable and as "self-gimping" as consciously choosing to ignore 1/3 of your class abilities in any other game.  Each class--minus ELE and ENG--is balanced around making use of 2 sets of weapon abilities (10 skills) and 5 combined heal, utility and elite skills (for a total of 15 skills), along with making effective use of your class's specific class mechanics (Ie. Guardian's Virtues or Necro's Death Shroud.

Then you would be using 100% of your potential skills for that particular build :)  Whatever your weapon choices, you should see what those skills do, and choose your traits, utility and elite skills accordingly.  Even within that one weapon set choice, you will be able to build in a variety of ways.  I don't know much about thieves, so I can't give any examples. 

It does indeed, though Sylvari mature within the Dream of Dreams and "blossom" as fully grown adults.  Unless you roleplay an Asuran physician whose proclivity for a pro-perennial-choice philosophy provokes him to perform plant pre-parturition procedures, I don't think you will be seeing any Sylvari saplings :p

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Ok so,

As some of you may have noticed i am a pretty big supporter of the The Secret World. And i'm happy with my purchase on that front. No comments or comparisons on this please.

However, it's not a sin to have several games going at once, serving different purposes much the same way you don't have to be locked into a certain type of music gene.

So Guild Wars 2 does peak my interested, but it has certain factors that just annoy the hell out of me. I've mentioned this in other threads there's no need to go over them again.

Getting to the root of the topic....

Even though im not quite fond of this: im looking for a game with a very casual jump in and go mentality as well as i can leave at any time disclaimer. (certain life events have made me persue this)

1.What is the go with gw2 on this front? whats the hard facts on whats on offer here.

I've convinced myself that i want to play a very small character type, being a duel pistol rogue.

1.What are the pros and cons of this?
    2.Is it a "gimp" in pvp?
    3.Perfectly viable if i only choose to use this weapon set?(pve)
    4.Races: can the slyvari get scaled down as small as Asura?(im not sure if ive asked on this form but ive got conflicting responses in the past)

I'm sure ill have other questions, So ill continue update and respond as needed.
    And please no sugar coated answers.

1. Dual pistol THIEF(dont think of it as a rogue because it can play very differently) is very viable.  I have a lot of fun with it, and it is what attracted me to the class.  However, I am learning that the game is designed around two weapon sets and swapping mid combat.  Definately an adjustment, but it keeps things fresh from a combat prespective.  Take them out from afar if you want, only to switch to dag/dag or dag/sword or dag/pistol to finish them off...or vice versa.  Versatile.

2. Not sure, havent tried PVP much.  I will say melee in general has issues in WvWvW.

3. Sure, its perfectly viable.  You might kite and actively dodge a bit more than the next guy but I see no reason to not use p/p otherwise.

4. They have not released the sylvari yet via BWE, so we do not know.  You can scale down your characters height.  How far? I dont know...we'll see how far the sylvari can get.

Originally posted by cesmode8
    Originally posted by Nitth Ok so, As some of you may have noticed i am a pretty big supporter of the The Secret World. And i'm happy with my purchase on that front. No comments or comparisons on this please.   However, it's not a sin to have several games going at once, serving different purposes much the same way you don't have to be locked into a certain type of music gene.   So Guild Wars 2 does peak my interested, but it has certain factors that just annoy the hell out of me. I've mentioned this in other threads there's no need to go over them again.   Getting to the root of the topic....   Even though im not quite fond of this: im looking for a game with a very casual jump in and go mentality as well as i can leave at any time disclaimer. (certain life events have made me persue this) 1.What is the go with gw2 on this front? whats the hard facts on whats on offer here.     I've convinced myself that i want to play a very small character type, being a duel pistol rogue. 1.What are the pros and cons of this? 2.Is it a "gimp" in pvp? 3.Perfectly viable if i only choose to use this weapon set?(pve) 4.Races: can the slyvari get scaled down as small as Asura?(im not sure if ive asked on this form but ive got conflicting responses in the past) I'm sure ill have other questions, So ill continue update and respond as needed. And please no sugar coated answers.          

1. Dual pistol THIEF(dont think of it as a rogue because it can play very differently) is very viable.  I have a lot of fun with it, and it is what attracted me to the class.  However, I am learning that the game is designed around two weapon sets and swapping mid combat.  Definately an adjustment, but it keeps things fresh from a combat prespective.  Take them out from afar if you want, only to switch to dag/dag or dag/sword or dag/pistol to finish them off...or vice versa.  Versatile.

2. Not sure, havent tried PVP much.  I will say melee in general has issues in WvWvW.

3. Sure, its perfectly viable.  You might kite and actively dodge a bit more than the next guy but I see no reason to not use p/p otherwise.

4. They have not released the sylvari yet via BWE, so we do not know.  You can scale down your characters height.  How far? I dont know...we'll see how far the sylvari can get.

Al right thanks man, Yeah probably wasnt helping my cause thinking thief and rogue interchangeable.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by F0rumLurker

1. I think dual pistol thief is a very viable way to play. In fact, because of the initiative mechanic which trades no cooldowns with being tied down by initiative, thieves gain less benefit from weapon swapping from most other classes besides any trait benefits or situational swapping. In other words, you don't feel like you're 'wasting' unused cooldown time from your 2nd weaponset since thieves don't have weapon cooldown.

I played a thief up to level 35, and that really can't be emphasized enough.

While you can benefit from the added flexibility of changing weapons, thief is an atypical class in that you're not wasting unspent cooldowns due to the initiative mechanic.

They're probably one of the least gimped classes if you stick to a single weapon set.

That being said, I'd totally use a shortbow offhand anyway.  If for NO other reason, simply because Infiltrator's Arrow lets you teleport, which basically functions as a speed boost while travelling.

It also gives you all the AoE that the dual pistols don't, but even if 'travel faster' was the only thing shortbow had going for it, I'd still recommend it. :D

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Al right thanks man, Yeah probably wasnt helping my cause thinking thief and rogue interchangeable.

Just a heads up.

1) (others have posted this already, but i'm just re-emphasizing) Thieves are definitely one of the least reliant on weapon swapping, with the exception of the engineer. You'll be okay if you stick to only pistol / pistol (but I would suggest unlocking your other weapon skills just incase you change your mind). Also having a shortbow offhand for traveling is pretty convenient.

2) Melee are fine in WvW, just don't expect to be running around permastealth, or like the incredible hulk. You need to be smarter about how you play melee in this game. Blinding charging, chasing, etc. will get you killed very quickly (as ranged or melee), so you have to be very mindful of your surroundings. Also, in WvW I'd suggest equipping this skill for starters. If you know how to use it, you can pull players off of keep walls and own them at the bottom, lol. Very nastly little trick in WvW.

3) P/P in general will do less damage than D/D, but you will get more more range out of it, and a couple really good CC skills (blind & daze). The bleed is only 3 seconds, so it's hard to do really viable condition damage as a P/P, but you could try it.