Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what sort of people play this game?

I got my daughter to have a go playing DAOC. She has never played a MMORPG before and was very confused about what to do. Anyway I wasn't at home to help her so she asked the guild. They were very helpful and one guy whispered her and said that he would help her out. He joined her and the first thing he asked was are you a real girl. She said yes. He than wanted to know her age. He then gave her some armour and some money and took her on some tasks. But before too long he began to say things like how huge the breasts on her toon were. And how he loved watching her toon's arse. He then wanted to know if she wanted their toons to get wed. He then asked her if she ever did cyber sex. Did she have any photos she could email him. Did she have a microphone. She is too shy to go tell this guy to f*** off. Anyway she just wants to be able to play the game without having some sex starved weirdo bothering her. I just want to let you know that this might be one of the reasons girls are put off playing games like this.

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Ok so let me get this straight.  Your daughter finds one creep and you damn the entire game/community?  I would not say that is the reason why girls are put off playing the game.  The fact is single, group, or mmorpg games of this style always have females in the minority.

I will say that DAOC has a more 'adult' community at least if you are not playing in alb.  What I mean by that are most players are over 18, usually early 20s- early 40's.

Understand that such behavior she will find it almost any mmorpg (Sims online is by far the worst).  Things she can do to protect herself are simply to not talk to such a person again.  If he sends a /send she can use the /ignore command.  If he still bothers her report the harrassment and the player will be dealt with. 

Some people play girls just to get extra attention and items (very common in EQ).  Some women not wanting to deal with men will play male toons.  I have to say I have never heard of a male toon being asked if the person playing was a girl (or a real guy). 

My GF plays this game and never has had anyone bother her at all.  I have known many females that have played this game and never got anything like that before.  I am not saying it does not exist, but the only times I have ever seen it in DAOC have actually been from females!  When the game first came out I ended up being Co-Gm of this guild with a girl.  That girl could be down want pervy (and yes I have proff she was a girl).  I have a real life friend who I tried getting to play DAOC and she played EQ and SWG.  Once online she became very sexual even with me. 

Just remember that a game is no different than the rest of the net, or for that fact a bar.  There will always be the sex starved 20-something virgin wanting to get off.  The best thing you can do is avoid those people and do not give out age/sex/location until you want to and are ready to.  People in an old guild of mine ended up hooking up and dating for a year. 

• Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292

Ya, the bum thing about online games is you can't reach though the monitor and strangle the guy on the other end when they deserve it.

I totally sympathize with you as I am a retired guild master and have had to remove "the dregs of human society" from my guild before to keep it fun for the rest of the decent people playing. It's usually not pretty.

There are good, decent people that play this game though. Don't let this one schmuck keep ya from having fun. image

EDIT: Woah there Julian! This guy was just venting a bit. Your making it sound like he has no freaking idea what he's doing and you do realize your talking to a father about his daughter getting preyed upon, be it online(thank goodness). I would be pissed too!

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

Originally posted by Lunar_Knight

EDIT: Woah there Julian! This guy was just venting a bit. Your making it sound like he has no freaking idea what he's doing and you do realize your talking to a father about his daughter getting preyed upon, be it online(thank goodness). I would be pissed too!

I fail to see why a parent has the right to be outraged by the actions of those on the internet if he does not supervise his childrens internet habits.  If he does not think they are ready to and capable of taking care of themselves on the internet then he should not allow his child on.  Going on to a website and suggesting that a large number of people, or at least 'enough' or sexual creeps to be the cause of why girls do not play game is what I find outragous.  Computer games, espically of the fantasy/combat genre have always been less popular with girls. 

• bukshotbukshot Member Posts: 277
    Its sad but it does happen alot in online games. As someone mentioned before defenitly keep her away from games like Sims online. That is why they make the /ignore command in most mmorpg's. Although I have no children, I understand your frustration and would probably be very upset. 

• lonelyrobotlonelyrobot Member Posts: 194

While I do have a few issues with most of DAoC's players, I've spent significant time with the game since release and only ran into one or two players like the one you had mentioned. There are always creeps and horny teenagers out there, but you're far less likely to run into one on DAoC than World of Warcraft (at least from my experience).

• r0hnr0hn Member Posts: 185

First thing is, report the incident to Mythic.  They have logs or whatever.  Get the account banned, that behavior is unacceptable.

Second thing is, don't look for answers on internet forums.  Your words will be twisted, taken out of context, and misconstrued in any number of ways.  Most of the time this is done to get a rise out of you.

If you think DAOC or the internet in general is not for your children,  /cancel.

But /cancel's not a valid command.

• BlittzzBlittzz Member Posts: 261
    It seems your daughter has found the needle in the hay stack. The DAoC community is very mature and down-to-earth. Sure you will get the l33t idiot or the disgusting pervert your daughter stumbled upon, but it's VERY rare. Mythic takes this kind of stuff very seriously, you should report this man to Mythic so they can ban his account. I say you should give DAoC another shot, but your the parent, so thats you decision

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

• DoomsayerDoomsayer Member Posts: 344

All of these view points are correct. Just like any activity where humans interact with other humans, hehe, and grossly enough, sometimes non-humans...there will be perverts. No matter what their reasons for acting in such a manner are, it is easily dealt with in a number of ways previously stated. The easiest is /ignore (player name). Thats my favorite. I use it liberally whenever I meet a moron. That being said my /ignore list is not even 1/10th of my /friend list in DAoC. And don't fool yourself, there are people like this in EVERY game. So jumping ship wont help. Now secondly, if you believe your daughter is not mature enough to handle these situations, cancel the account. Or you could limit her play times to when you are available to help her should a situation like this rise again. Thirdly, you could /report the individual, but I personally have not seen this work well. Most people reported that I know to be complete idiots rarely get disciplined. But that could just be in my experience.

I applaud your outrage at this kind of behavior and honestly, in my opinion, you should do all three! But in the end, your daughter will have to learn to deal with people like this because they are everywhere, not just in online games. If she is still to young or underdeveloped to handle this task, then perhaps waiting a few years for her to age and gain experience is warrented.

Whatever you decide, I wish you and your daughter the best of luck and only good gaming times.image

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

• r0hnr0hn Member Posts: 185

Lonelyrobot - go back and re-read my post.  You will know what i'm saying.  If you don't understand what I wrote, stopping reading /all internet forums immediately.  If you understand what I wrote, then grow-up. /end

/all are valid commands in my world.

Lonely - on the other hand, you are an idiot and should go back to grade school, because you are too stupid to hit power on a computer.

Originally posted by r0hn

First thing is, report the incident to Mythic.  They have logs or whatever.  Get the account banned, that behavior is unacceptable.
    Second thing is, don't look for answers on internet forums.  Your words will be twisted, taken out of context, and misconstrued in any number of ways.  Most of the time this is done to get a rise out of you.
    If you think DAOC or the internet in general is not for your children,  /cancel.

From the EULA:

"While Mythic has established Rules of Conduct for players accessing the Service, Mythic cannot ensure that other players will not provide User Content or access to Content that parents or guardians may find inappropriate or that any user may find objectionable. Mythic does not as a matter of policy prescreen the content of the materials or communications transmitted by each player."

You can further read in the EULA and the Rules of Conduct about how it does not monitor or record private conversations.  I am sure they can if they need to monitor someone for harassment, but my point is that they would not have any logs of it now. 

While it might be interpreted as a violation of rule #4 in transmitting rude or vulgar language, as a policy Mythic does not interfere.  They will tell you to use the /filter, ask the person to stop the language, with /ignore, etc.  I have never heard of them getting involved in cases of language unless it also involved harassment.  However, the girl in question did not voice any objections.  As such the other party cannot be considered to be harassing the girl.  Further, since Mythic has said rude, vulgar, and the like are up to each person's taste and the girl did not voice any objections then there is no reason to conclude that the girl was offended.

In short, it is highly unlikely Mythic could find such a person, and even if they did I am 99.9999999995 certain they would not even send a warning email. 

Originally posted by r0hn
    Lonelyrobot - go back and re-read my post. You will know what i'm saying. If you don't understand what I wrote, stopping reading /all internet forums immediately. If you understand what I wrote, then grow-up. /end
    /all are valid commands in my world.
    Lonely - on the other hand, you are an idiot and should go back to grade school, because you are too stupid to hit power on a computer.

I hope you have a better sense of humor than that in real life.

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303

::::06:: omfg and i thought cyber sex only happened on wow rp servers ...woot i`ve seen such things... (spanking gnomes lmao etc etc you don't wanna know ).... hmm i don't remember meeting such people in daoc.... ::::05::

• zimquatszimquats Member Posts: 301

My brother was a sick DAOC player, he was all over the cyberz thing, and even went to meet some woman that he met in the game for a one night stand.  He Didnt tell me this, but he lies alot and I could figure it out.  Actually, he dossent lie alot, Hes cronic.  The kind of person who feels the need to lie all the time about everything. 

Honestly I could see him behaving like this guy did, and actually I would have thought it was him except I cancled his account because He was soo adicted.  He Quit his job and played DAoC for 15-18 hours a day for 7 months untill I cancled his account.

So, are there sick people in the world? Yes.

Do they Play DAoC, other online games as well as do everything else the world has to offer? Yes.

Should your Child be prepaired to deal with possiable pedephiles, perverts, and much worse?  Of course.

when you look at online gammers you will have a bunch of people as diverse as humanity, you get the good and the bad.

• solesole Member Posts: 78

"swil7581" Sorry to hear that happend too your daughter but. I didnt recall your daughters age.

I got kids too playing daoc, but I have them in my guild ( my guild are bounch of total around 500 players). I make sure the members in my guild "grasp the fact it's my kids playing". She still likes daoc btw.

In general speaking that guy was as every guy your daughter will meet "IRL" too in her school out at a disco and in her friendgroup,but there we dont talk about cybersex.

That guy in General is harmless  I mean "" huge the breasts on her toon were. And how he loved watching her toon's arse ""  We are now talking about your daughters "toon/character/avatar"

your daughter who I hope are around 12 + and if she is   I think she been hearing alot of other more nasty stuff + seen too in her free time + in school.

But as Father too Father I understand how your felling 

btw daoc  and mmorpgs are full of girls in mixed ages. 

Originally posted by sole

"swil7581" Sorry to hear that happend too your daughter but. I didnt recall your daughters age.
    I got kids too playing daoc, but I have them in my guild ( my guild are bounch of total around 500 players). I make sure the members in my guild "grasp the fact it's my kids playing". She still likes daoc btw.
    In general speaking that guy was as every guy your daughter will meet "IRL" too in her school out at a disco and in her friendgroup,but there we dont talk about cybersex.
    That guy in General is harmless  I mean "" huge the breasts on her toon were. And how he loved watching her toon's arse ""  We are now talking about your daughters "toon/character/avatar"
    your daughter who I hope are around 12 + and if she is   I think she been hearing alot of other more nasty stuff + seen too in her free time + in school.
    But as Father too Father I understand how your felling 
    btw daoc  and mmorpgs are full of girls in mixed ages. 

You think that guy is harmless???  Did you see the part where he said,  "He then asked her if she ever did cyber sex. Did she have any photos she could email him. Did she have a microphone."

Sorry thats not harmless, thats potentially dangerous.  Anyone who will ask someone these questions has a problem.

• solesole Member Posts: 78

yea I doo read post

Cybersex is harmless if you compare to the other thing

Cyberz was just 1 point, what do you think happens after that.  If this guy is sic enough, he wont just leave it at that.  Theres no need to compair it with other things, only to look ahead at what could happen.  

This is a worst case scenario of course, but why tempt fate.  And Yes It happens, I have herd of it several times where Guys look for kids in online chat rooms, I think we all have herd of it.  A MMORPG is a game, but it is also has all the features of most online chat rooms.

Originally posted by zimquats

Cyberz was just 1 point, what do you think happens after that.  If this guy is sic enough, he wont just leave it at that.  Theres no need to compair it with other things, only to look ahead at what could happen.  

What is he going to do?  Is he some expert hacker that is going to break into Mythic system and find a way to trace her IP address and then use that to find her house?  That can't happen. 

The only way anything can happen is if the person on the other end gives out information.  Although we hear all the bad stories about the internet and children, children are far more likely to be abused (physically or sexually) by a family member.  From there is to friend of the family.  Then it is the child being picked out somewhere in public.  The internet is the least likely to result in any form of abuse. 

So if you want to protect a child from sicko's then by the reasoning here of what could happen, perhaps children would be better off raised by strangers because they are far less likely to commit sexual abuse than familes. 

• BlackChaosBlackChaos Member Posts: 3

Well as a girl it might be hard to say something back lol..But since she was new to game she probably didn't know how to put that guy in ignore list either. Never met such Perver in DAoC before though :S.But not all are like that ...i have made realy good friends in DAoC and i still talk with them, even though im playing WoW right now (Going back DAoC soon ;D ).Oh and peeps there can be realy helpful :P I logged in the first time and i couldn't understand a thing some time after i asked for help and a guy started helping me he talked to me about 1 hour and invited me to his guild and i have been there from the start and i like it ^^!

• iSacrificeiSacrifice Member Posts: 7

Yeah please do not judge the whole community because some 12yr with s e x on the brain felt the need to get his rocks off... There are alot of us that are actually pretty mature. But it doesn't matter where you go while on the internet. You could be in a chat room or playing a game and you will still find the perverts. So using the what type of people play this game title is kinda outta place. But if you feel the need to stop playing the game that is up to you and your daughter. But I will tell you this you will find it were ever you move to as well.

Good Luck in where and what ever you decide to do. :)

• TreamosTreamos Member Posts: 16

I think evrybody play this game, personally I'm 13 but there are also peeps around 60

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    In my experience, most people are older in DAoC. Yes, you do get that 13 year old ranger or vampiir that just won't shut up, or the 20something that thinks all the frontiers revolve around him. I don't play female toons, since the first time I tried in EQ it seemed every other dude was trying to cyber me. So, I can't say anything about that.