Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wakfu the sandbox game we have waited for so long !

2»

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Dark_HUmar

Its the same with the Minecraft art style you hate it or like it. Same with this if you can't see further then the art style then you are missing out.

No, I'm not missing out.  They are missing out from having me be a customer for their game because for me, they should have taken all of those sandbox elements and put them into a game that plays like Vanguard/WoW/Lotro/Tera whichever suits your favorite character feedback 3rd person viewpoint.  Having it in old school isometric view is the first problem.  I can't play Minecraft either due to graphics.  It's not that the gameplay is bad or that I'm missing out.  I need to have the full package.  This is why ArcheAge looks FANTASTIC, same with GW2.  They have kept the graphic style I like, the 3rd person viewpoint, the character feedback and are tacking on the sandbox, pvp and dynamic elements I've been craving in an MMORPG for years.

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by elocke

Its the same with the Minecraft art style you hate it or like it. Same with this if you can't see further then the art style then you are missing out.

No, I'm not missing out.  They are missing out from having me be a customer for their game because for me, they should have taken all of those sandbox elements and put them into a game that plays like Vanguard/WoW/Lotro/Tera whichever suits your favorite character feedback 3rd person viewpoint.  Having it in old school isometric view is the first problem.  I can't play Minecraft either due to graphics.  It's not that the gameplay is bad or that I'm missing out.  I need to have the full package.  This is why ArcheAge looks FANTASTIC, same with GW2.  They have kept the graphic style I like, the 3rd person viewpoint, the character feedback and are tacking on the sandbox, pvp and dynamic elements I've been craving in an MMORPG for years.

I dissagree, if they would change the way Minecraft and Wakfu look like you kind of ruin the fun for the people that do like the game. at first I tought the grafix of Minecraft where really weird looking and didn't play it till like 6-7 months ago. Now I've played Wakfu and Minecraft I would not wan't it to change to the standard MMO grafix and view because its a part of the game. Would we like for example Donkey Kong if they made nearly foto realistic monkey?

• ZwonkieZwonkie Member Posts: 10

I have to go with the others on this one. The cute style is simply not me, all the mechanics is really good, i like the combat as it makes you think abit, at least compared to WoW. 

What i dont like is that land seems small and kinda "rigid", also, it seems you can be everything you want, cook-warrier-farmer-fisher as long as you grind enough - and it felt to me like the grind time was not longer than most ppl could have these multiple proffesions. 

Make the same game less browser like and set in the realm of fantasy/mediaval and i whould subscribe..

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I am kinda interested in Wakfu, but for some reason the files I download are in French? Even their official web site feels.. shady. Maybe I have the wrong web site, idk :P

Originally posted by causs

I am kinda interested in Wakfu, but for some reason the files I download are in French? Even their official web site feels.. shady. Maybe I have the wrong web site, idk :P

The installer was French for me too, even I downloaded it from the English website. After the install you can choose what language you want the launcher too be in(in my case English) and then there are different servers German,French,Italian,Spanish and ofcourse English(international one) and an English US one wich is hosted by Square Enix

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I tried the game and though it was quite stupid tbh. Gameplay wasn't too bad but the whole georama crap and such just was an annoyence to me.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I hate minecraft but it has nothing to do with the graphics, I just suck hard at creating things, so I couldn't really enjoy the game, However I LOVE terraria since its more about item collecting and killing things than just building stuff. Its like I can imagine a city etc, but to actually get the idea down on paper or in minecraft for example I just like lock up and am unable to do it. I honestly can't bring myself to subscribe to a game that barely has snes graphics. Even if the gameplay is good.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I remember playing during the closed beta and really like the game. I am going to download now and probaly play this till TERA is released. Anybody want to hook up in game let me know. 

Originally posted by Mannish

I remember playing during the closed beta and really like the game. I am going to download now and probaly play this till TERA is released. Anybody want to hook up in game let me know. 

I think OB ends on the 22nd, then the game releases 29th

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    That's cool. Are they going to wipe?

Originally posted by Mannish

That's cool. Are they going to wipe?

Not sure, but I do think they are going to

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136

Hmm, so many dislike the graphical style.  Too cutesy.  Seems like some form of preconception, such as if their friends saw them playing it they would be embarassed, somthing like machismo.  This does not bother me at all.  I find a lot of the animated characters very detailed and unique.  My girl friend very much likes the graphical style.  I think it looks very smooth.

Regarding gameplay, I enjoy it possibly because it's very different from anything else out there that I know about.  Instead of copying these supposed successful systems, it's a completely new system, unique classes, sandboxy, political system.  Once you master that traditional mmo system that is so prevalent, how much fun is it to play it again, and again, and again... I like challenge and learning new things.  That type of stuff, that generic gameplay, doesn't offer anything new to learn at all.  That's extraordinarily boring, and also why people MMO jump to the new thing so quickly.  Seriously, play something with a completely new set of rules to learn and be interested.  From what I've seen so far, this has that.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

I played for a few hours yesterday and not bad after all. It is smthg I can play with my kids (its like a more strategic/tactical hello kitty online) but the monthly sub is not really worth it. I would rather pay like $20-30 or so to get unlimited access. I am not planning to pay 3 subs for this. It is not worth playing for free because it is very limited. You cannot enjoy any of the sandbox features on free accounts. Also the game is super buggy and so many exploits going on. It is a bad sign 10 days before release. I will just wait for a few months and see what happens. If GW2 stil didnt release and they changed their sub model I might give it a try.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I tried Wakfu, and I can say it has almost no sandbox features whatsoever. The ONLY appealing aspect is that it has "FF:Tactics" combat.

Other than that the title of this thread is highly misleading.

Wakfu = NOT a Sandbox title.

Please don't misrepresent what a Sandbox MMO is.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I tried Wakfu, and I can say it has almost no sandbox features whatsoever. The ONLY appealing aspect is that it has "FF:Tactics" combat.

I haven't delved that far into the game, my attention span and that drive to say "hey look I'm lvl 50" from EQ days isn't there anymore.  Or maybe it's a product of the industry that has lost it.  I'm not sure.  But from having a political system where a governor can set laws and is voted in by players every 2 weeks, start wars with other nations, set taxes.  Having semi open pvp, moving towards being a criminal if wanted, jail time.  Wiping out species in nation zones I assume?

Mm, I admit, I have not experienced a lot of this content.  All that hooked me is the promise of it and the uniqueness of the system in place, hence new territory and something to set the mind on learning.  I really don't know.  Maybe people like the familiar.  I just... it's boring.  I already know it.  Why continue?  I really feel this is the underlying reason, even though people don't logically deduce this information, just emotion, jump so quickly from game to game.  Those that eat up the same systems, easily amused?  Sorry but how else.

However, if these aspects don't exist, I'd like to know.  From what I've seen,  now I'm new to it and haven't delved far due to a wipe for release, I ask myself what I feel like doing.  So I'm not on quest hub to hub.  Maybe just not having that hub and having more subtle direction, is what it is.  Still, I feel even with such a model, it gives the appearance of freedom, without actually being free to do whatever.  And this could just be offbase and your reasons for this statement are bs.  I dunno.  Please give examples of how it purports itself as a sandbox/is seen by the user as a sandbox, yet, is not.

No aggression here.  I would like to have some good valid statements to base an opinion off of.  But there need to be reasons set out.  Not just heresy.

Stream of thought, but please give examples or comparisons.

If this is no sandbox title then most other games are not either. This game has just as much maybe even more Sandbox gameplay as Mortal online and Darkfall. Unless ofcourse you only count games like Minecraft and Wurm online as Sandbox titels.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Please don't misuse the word sandbox and jump to wrong conclusions based on short tests.

Wakfu allows players to alter the world around them to great extend, and choose their own paths and positions in the world instead of forcing them to follow routes strictly defined by developers. That's what a sandbox is, it's not any feature it's freedom, and if you only take a quick look you're going to miss it.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

It's not really a sandbox but you can make monster spawns and wipe out other spawns if you wish as well as plant stuff and harvest, chop stuff etc and efeect the eco system.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• XenogosXenogos Member Posts: 8

After reading this probably dead thread i have come to a conclusion about MMO players in general. There is two camps.

One camp says they want a sandbox mmo and does not care about graphics as long as their is good game play. (but they actualy want the best graphics of thier individual choice and basicly would suggest another wow clone over anything different.)

Another camp that actualy wants a sandbox in any form.

Wakfu is not for everyone. If you ever played fft and liked the combat its worth a shot. 

ten things i like about wakfu

1. There seems to be rewards for higher level players to still come back and play with there friends. (the level 8 dudgeon drops rewards for level 16 players etc.)

2. the grouping in dudgeons for pve is fun.

3. The island pvp is structured and worth something 6v6.

4. the ability to random pk.

5.  the level cap is so high its unlikly people will hit it in 3 days. (for many this is bad but because of 1 it means you can still play with you friends in pve.)

6. random loot = fun

7. wars with nations general politics.

8. newbie fealing ( there is so many things that I still get the fealing of missing something. like for me being on asherons call and killing rats on a hill. when there is a lugian dudgeon 1 click away that would be 10 times better to farm at.) This is fun not because of being ineffiectiant but of being able to learn something explore somewhere.

9. The haven bag. the trailer of the housing systems of mmos.

10.  I started playing 3 weeks before 22nd closed. a week before alot of the class imbalances were addressed and everyones spec changed. So no. 10 goes to their team who seems to be able to make changes and fix things that go wrong. the game does not seem balanced pvp wise around 1v1 but the islands 6v6 and taking that into account.

ITS A GAME TO PLAY WITH FRIENDS LONE WOLVES GO BACK TO MW3. (and call each other homosexuals while you tell them to felate each other.)

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89

I would try this game out if I could find the damn download button.. oh well. Mess of a website ftl.

Originally posted by Crazylike

I would try this game out if I could find the damn download button.. oh well. Mess of a website ftl.

If you did a bit of research you would have known that open Beta ended and there is no download button till game releases on the 29th.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by Zwonkie

im currently downloading it, ill post what i think afterwards. Although like many, i dont really like the "anima"/cute style..

Originally posted by Arawnite

Now...if they redo the game in a graphical style that isn't aimed at 8 year olds, and make it a true 3d and not a top-down 2d iso view, I would consider it.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Tried quite hard to get into it, just couldn't do it. Same thing happenned with Dofus, believe the engine really detracts from my experience. 

Originally posted by snoocky

When I first read the post i thought...YESSS...

Then I saw its just another childish Anime mmorpg.......

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by Arawnite

Now...if they redo the game in a graphical style that isn't aimed at 8 year olds, and make it a true 3d and not a top-down 2d iso view, I would consider it.

^^This.  Played it for about an hour, love the game mechanics, HATE the viewpoint, style, cutesie sounds, etc.  and the massive grind for everything on top of it.

Originally posted by Zwonkie

I have to go with the others on this one. The cute style is simply not me, all the mechanics is really good, i like the combat as it makes you think abit, at least compared to WoW. 

What i dont like is that land seems small and kinda "rigid", also, it seems you can be everything you want, cook-warrier-farmer-fisher as long as you grind enough - and it felt to me like the grind time was not longer than most ppl could have these multiple proffesions. 

Make the same game less browser like and set in the realm of fantasy/mediaval and i whould subscribe..

Etc. I'm boggled by the fact that there are that many people in this thread alone who give the game a pass just because of the graphical style. I remember seeing a lot of people who had similar reactions to Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker when it was released. I just don't get it - not only does the style in both games age extremely well, it also adds a plethora of character to both titles.

It goes without saying that I absolutely adore the style, but it's disheartening to see so many people dismiss it out of hand at a glance because of it.

<3