Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Save Gaming, Only We Can!

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

People should support companies like Runic Games, not the money hungry garbage companies like Blizzard (Activision).

Torchlight 2 - You buy it for $20 dollars you own it! Wow what a concept! You get your game, you can play offline singleplayer or with your friends on a LAN, you can play multiplayer online, great! No scummy RMT in this game ... what more can you ask for?

Diablo 3 - You buy it for $60 dollars you don't own it ... you rent it basically. You can't even play the game you paid for off of the internet .... you can't set up a LAN with your friends .. you MUST play online because you don't own the game! Scummy real life money auctions ... There is no contest? Why pay for this abuse?

The fact is simple: Pay the $60 dollars for Diablo 3 if you want to encourage this greedy behaviour or vote with your wallet and pay Runic Games for Torchlight 2 to show the game world what us gamers want for our money. It is your choice, your games at stake.

Comments

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118

Agree 100%.

Blizzard is just running on hype right now, and the sad thing is that its working. As a game, d3 is crap. Yet it is one of the best selling game ever, because blizzard hype / PR / marketing is top-notch.

I prefer supporting smaller companies too. Torchlight and Path of exile both sound pretty good.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by Silverchild

Agree 100%.

Blizzard is just running on hype right now, and the sad thing is that its working. As a game, d3 is crap. Yet it is one of the best selling game ever, because blizzard hype / PR / marketing is top-notch.

I prefer supporting smaller companies too. Torchlight and Path of exile both sound pretty good.

I will have to take a look at Path of Exile

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

What about those of us that are passionate enough to purchase both Diablo III AND Torchlight II?

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

*Puts on helmet* 

Ok I am here for the forum PvP

and you have atleast 12 years for nostalgia going by D2

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by qombi

People should support companies like Runic Games, not the money hungry garbage companies like Blizzard (Activision).

Torchlight 2 - You buy it for $20 dollars you own it! Wow what a concept! You get your game, you can play offline singleplayer or with your friends on a LAN, you can play multiplayer online, great! No scummy RMT in this game ... what more can you ask for?

Diablo 3 - You buy it for $60 dollars you don't own it ... you rent it basically. You can't even play the game you paid for off of the internet .... you can't set up a LAN with your friends .. you MUST play online because you don't own the game! Scummy real life money auctions ... There is no contest? Why pay for this abuse?

The fact is simple: Pay the $60 dollars for Diablo 3 if you want to encourage this greedy behaviour or vote with your wallet and pay Runic Games for Torchlight 2 to show the game world what us gamers want for our money. It is your choice, your games at stake.

I bought Diablo3 but I dont support Blizzard

What can you do...

I really wanted to play it and Torchlight is still 2 months away

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Silverchild

Agree 100%.

I will have to take a look at Path of Exile

The game's beta was actually really, really fun, I look forward to it, I bookmarked it. Thinking back I remember wanting to play that after D3 came out.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Who's really going to be playing d3 in ten years. It already looks ten years old. In ten years games will be way beyond what they are now. I dont thinking gaming needs saving. The economy is a better concern if you want to save something or how about the music business. No need to start a video game rebellion just dont buy what you dont like for whatever reason and everyone else will do the same.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I'm not one to support a company JUST because it's indie. Make a good product and I'll buy it.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Great post OP. People still do not realize what power they have over the gaming industry. Just don't buy crap.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• sindraodsindraod Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by DaezAster

Who's really going to be playing d3 in ten years. It already looks ten years old. In ten years games will be way beyond what they are now. I dont thinking gaming needs saving. The economy is a better concern if you want to save something or how about the music business. No need to start a video game rebellion just dont buy what you dont like for whatever reason and everyone else will do the same.

No one will be because the servers may be offline by then even if they wanted to.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

People should support companies like Runic Games, not the money hungry garbage companies like Blizzard (Activision).Torchlight 2 - You buy it for $20 dollars you own it! Wow what a concept! You get your game, you can play offline singleplayer or with your friends on a LAN, you can play multiplayer online, great! No scummy RMT in this game ... what more can you ask for? Diablo 3 - You buy it for $60 dollars you don't own it ... you rent it basically. You can't even play the game you paid for off of the internet .... you can't set up a LAN with your friends .. you MUST play online because you don't own the game! Scummy real life money auctions ... There is no contest? Why pay for this abuse? The fact is simple: Pay the $60 dollars for Diablo 3 if you want to encourage this greedy behaviour or vote with your wallet and pay Runic Games for Torchlight 2 to show the game world what us gamers want for our money. It is your choice, your games at stake. 

People should just pre-buy Torchlight 2, Path of Exile, and Grim Dawn... that way you get 4 games for $60 and you own them all.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70

You're about a month too late to be warning buyers off, they've already made millions and even if you were to sway 1,000 people from buying at this point it would make little difference in the end.

Originally posted by DaezAster

Diablo 2 came out in 2000, 12 years later and people are still playing.

Diablo is too well a known name to ever be dis-continued, even if this latest iteration pisses some people off with some questionable choices. I'll be willing to bet my house/car/leftnut that Diablo 4 will sell just as much, if not more than Diablo 3 on it's name alone. I appreciate what you're trying to do but it's all too futile at this point.

If it makes you feel any better though I haven't bought an activistion game in years. Though that's more out of boredom of what they churn out rather than to make a point.

We can only hope that people will realize they can have more for their gaming money if they refuse to pay for these abusive models. Players have the ultimate say what the model will be. Everyone is upset with the corporate greed recently that has gotten our country into a mess. Corporate greed is what is turning our gaming choices into garbage as well.

For what? They are already rich, they just want more and more. If they are making 100000 billion this year, they feel they fail if they are still making 100000 billion the next. That mindset isn't sustainable. This is the reason they have to screw you the gamer harder every year.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

We can only hope that people will realize they can have more for their gaming money if they refuse to pay for these abusive models. Players have the ultimate say what the model will be. Everyone is upset with the corporate greed recently that has gotten our country into a mess. Corporate greed is what is turning our gaming choices into garbage as well.

For what? They are already rich, they just want more and more. If they are making 100000 billion this year, they feel they fail if they are still making 100000 billion the next. That mindset isn't sustainable. This is the reason they have to screw you the gamer harder every year.

+1 Also these same comanies flood the market with redundency and the plethora of choices leads to less satisfaction.Still have my iphone 3g  people tell me I need to upgrade, I say why it still works just fine. A friend of mine saw my new mackbook pro and said I need to get me one of those when they have a perfectly good mac book, my respones was for what facebook? I'm an audio engineer and use my labtop for protools. Point being they should be perfectly satisfied with a tool that does the job but want a ferrari for grocery shopping and feel they need it.

• trillgodtrillgod Member Posts: 52

OCCUPY ACTIVISION ..TAKIN AWAY ARR GAMINGGG RIGHTS LMAO

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

It doesn't help when games like CoD, WoW and D3 all break game sales. Meanwhile games like the Battlefield series do well, Planetside will do well, but you won't see the #'s these games put out likely. Which just really blows my mind. I was hoping people really weren't this shallow and just "duh" when it came to games.

It wouldn't suprise me if Activision made a CoD, stuck someone in front of you, one level, and you just shoot..that's all. It would break records somehow.

Blizzard and Activision kind of follow the same route. Make it cheap, make it playable (D3 was hardly that). How D3 took 7+ years to make boggles me.

Originally posted by UOvet

It doesn't help when games like CoD, WoW and D3 all break game sales. Meanwhile games like the Battlefield series do well, Planetside will do well, but you won't see the #'s these games put out likely. Which just really blows my mind. I was hoping people really weren't this shallow and just "duh" when it came to games.

It wouldn't suprise me if Activision made a CoD, stuck someone in front of you, one level, and you just shoot..that's all. It would break records somehow.

Blizzard and Activision kind of follow the same route. Make it cheap, make it playable (D3 was hardly that). How D3 took 7+ years to make boggles me.

I don't understand it either. These big garbage piles of game companies have money to push their games down the player's throats with advertisments. They have a lot of money to shove the advertisments in our faces, pay off game sites like these to shove them in our faces to the point that we the gamers feel this is the must have game of the year.

The garbage games are pushed so hard that people see them so much they think if they don't buy them some how they will be the only ones not buying them. They pay big dollars to make sure people buy their abusive models. There is pyschology envolved, people are really easy and gullible in masses and very predictable. Open your eyes people, your gaming experience doesn't have to be like this.

Most of these games that sell these huges numbers are not because the game is great, it is only because of the advertisment, brand name, and sequel name. Only we have to power to not buy the garbage. Think for yourselves, is this really what you want your games to be like?

Originally posted by trillgod

OCCUPY ACTIVISION ..TAKIN AWAY ARR GAMINGGG RIGHTS LMAO

It is very funny and convenient that most of the post trying to dismiss these arguments as something silly are accounts made this year. Not going to accuse, but would easily be possible to mistake these as phony accounts by game companies to try to discredit reasonable arguments against what they are doing.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

I said it before an ill say it again, you own TL2 just as much as you own diablo 3, the only thing you get when you buy a game is a liscense to use said game, thats it, whether you can play it offline or not has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether you own it or not.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Every big games company started as just a small team in a single room of an office block.

We should pay attention to the smaller teams out their, they are the ones with the real inovation without the shackles, deadlines or the single minded though of $$ signs holding them down.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I do agree that we should support good smaller companies just like I rather buy a CD from a smaller group than a superstar as long as they are equally good.

I will not buy some indie crap just because it is indie, that would not save anything, quite the opposite.

Only buying good games and if you are considering 2 games that seems equally good then getting the indie game works fine for me.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Mephster

Great post OP. People still do not realize what power they have over the gaming industry. Just don't buy crap.

But..that's not what he said.

He said "Brand X is legit and wholesome, and Brand Y is evil and insidious."  Still encouraging people to buy games based solely on company logos and brand loyalty.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

First read this.

Now realize Diablo 3 went on to be the most preordered PC game in history. The fastest selling PC game in history. Don't waste people's time with your bullshit until you're serious.

I'm sorry, but preorders and first weeks sales don't mean dick about how good the game is. It just proves good marketing and clones who follow anything Blizzard. Just like CoD, just like music today, just like movies.

I remember SWTOR sold a bunch, yet you I'd bet there are more active EVE players.