Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people actually ROLEPLAY anymore?

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Yep, but I certainly don't RP with the newer breed of MMO's. They're simply not conducive to an environment that promotes creativity, which is what role playing is all about, so I still rely on UO for the times that I want to be in character. There are plenty of great options out there for MUD'ers, IRC RP, various emulators: just about everywhere outside the last ten years of video gaming.

No, role-playing is not necessarely about being creative, which you seem to have implied. It is about playing a role and that's it. Creative people can indeed have fun by trying to be creative through role-playing, but the creativity is not a necessary condition.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    With the current casual single player gamers infesting MMOs, it's hard enough getting people to talk to each other, never mind pretending to br someone else while talking to them.

Oh wait, 90% of female avatar players are doing just that. ??
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect
    With the current casual single player gamers infesting MMOs, it's hard enough getting people to talk to each other, never mind pretending to br someone else while talking to them.

Oh wait, 90% of female avatar players are doing just that. ??

I refuse to RP on female characters... thusly, I can't RP on the vast majority of mine.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

(ok, this appears to have been a thread worthy of necromancy)

It doesn't take many encounters with random spammers/scammers/trolls to make me start isolating myself from the rest of the community.  Also, there just isn't a lot I bring to a conversation - the emphasis of games is very material and efficiency-driven.  You don't get experience, achievements or gold for role-playing and every minute someone spends role-playing with me is a minuite they are not gathering resources.

A few things that I feel encourage role-playing:

- polls: have mechanics that periodically ask players questions and make them think about the lore and where they stand on certain lore issues in game.  No rewards, except perhaps some slight attitude shifts amongst factions.

- passive income: give players some strategic gameplay that lead to passive income (setting up farms, mines, etc).  If active play (going off and manually clicking on each mining patch) is only a bonus on top of a passive income source, not the sole method of gaining resources, then you remove the need to be constantly in motion and makes puttering around not feel like a complete waste of time.

- viral buffs: design mechanics for buffs or quests that can only be spread virally from player-to-player, emphasizing that interacting with other players and creating networks of contacts is a positive resource.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Roleplaying is best done in PnP games where there's a GM playing the game with you creating and modifying the game for the players. MMORPGs are best left to what they're doing right now.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Quirhid

MMORPGs are best left to what they're doing right now.

Goodness ... this entire forum would go *poof* if people took that attitude.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Roleplaying is best done in PnP games where there's a GM playing the game with you creating and modifying the game for the players. MMORPGs are best left to what they're doing right now.

MMO's used to be a beautiful thing... now its like crop intentionally grown for the purpose of feeding locust

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

If you look carefully at Eve online, it has a HUGE rp community:

If they hold your ship hostage or ransom, they are RP'ing as a pirate.

If they are mining, and only ever wish to mine, they are RP'ing as a miner.

If they say their corp is an investment and marketting corp, they are RP'ing as an investment banker.

To differentiate from everyone else, notice that these RP'ers aren't necessarily interested in better or more fun ways to make money, because that would be outside their role...  Regular players will dabble in everything, and do what is fun for them at the moment.  RP'ers in Eve will only do these 1 or 2 specific things, and nothing else.

EDIT: the only reason you don't recognize these RP'ers is because in that particular game, it's merely a more advanced version of our own society, so you don't need to talk differently, or act differently.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by kirak2009

The other day  i went over to my girlfriend house pretending to be the landlord  collecting rent,  but she didn't have any money,  so she offered to pay in other ways

bowchiccabowwow

cleanest shirt's on the block now ;)

...she washed your clothes?

People don't RP anymore because the games don't really allow it. It's not fun jumping into a Themepark and tying to roleplay because I don't think you can. There isn't anything you can do...except quest. 

People need to be given the tools to assist with their roleplaying. Housing, spots where people can just relax and hangout, an actual community helps, but the games they make today aren't helping out the RPers. The Repopulation may be a good start. There were tons of roleplayers back in the UO, EQ, AC days - even one of the RP - lite guilds on our server was one of the better PvP guilds.

I got bored around 99 and roleplayed an Orc for ShadowClan Orcs on Catskills for about a year. Had a blast, but they really did it right back then. Outfits for ranks, seperate language (broken english kinda, but def had some unique words). I dunno..I found it really fun especially since we had our OWN Orc Fort that GMs tweaked for them because they had such on impact on the server.

The pic gives you an idea. Although that is a low showing, just googled the pic.

^^ Crafter.

^^ Just some regular ol' players attacking the poor Roleplayers ;). Always held their own though.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Originally posted by Truelevel

MMO's used to be a beautiful thing... now its like crop intentionally grown for the purpose of feeding locust

Oh man this is PERFECT! I will quote you forever using this sentence. +10! :)

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Flute
    Originally posted by Onigod

i know many people that roleplay in Darkfall atleast in the europe server about NA server i dont know

There is a wide range, from Dwarf Only clans, Alfar Only clans, and Orc only clans, through to the anti-roleplayers who seek to war declare all roleplayers and kill them, in character of course as the vile and evil villian with no sense of humour and no mercy.  ;p

I have had ship crews who play pirate music over ventrillo every time we took a ship to sea, too, and didn't break character much  :)

yoho ho ho ho.....

no seriously, that sounds like fun jajajajaj.

Roleplaying must be part of the inmersion, but the playerbase is more adapted to compete, and grind and pull dungeons than just getting into their character shoes. the average joe mmo player just makes a fancy character (mostly female ones) and starts to kill x rats in order to get to the last lvl and then start to grind dungeons in order to become the motherf*fcker with over 9000 stats so he/she can start pwning other players in PvP. like if this was some sort of Call of Duty or Battlefield or another generic FPS or Action game.

ladies and gentlemen, MMORPGS became games for the average sellfish, consumist and capitalistic player, Roleplay is for the player who actually can enjoy the simplest parts of the game, not the LFR GOGOGO!!!.......

• WolfthalWolfthal Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by Wolfthal
    Originally posted by KeepInGates

I know what you're talking about. I remember not but a few years ago, I was an Imperial Stormtrooper, searching cantina patrons for contraband on mos eiesly. (Starsider, btw.)

I think it's Kids these days, bro. Their minds have been boggled down by the crap Tv shows, movies, and video games that seem to qualify as "Good writing".  Because of this, they don't know how to come up with a good story.

That's just my opinion. But it also could be that people are too lazy nowadays. Or find it "Uncool".

I tend to disagree. I am 13 and the lack of roleplay bothers me the most in MMO(RPG)s. Generalizing is not a cool thing, man. But, again, I am different - I like reading and writing, good music and playing the drums- unlike most kids these days. Roleplaying is expressing your feeling just like a writer would, but in a interactive and responsive world - which is what made it and makes it attractive. The problem is that people ruin it, like they ruin a lot of good things. Off topic, just like some are forgetting good music - Rock and Blues and Jazz - The Beatles, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix and a ton more. They are comercializing a good part of the games industry, and they are doing the same with other things such as music - which is bad. As for those who ruin Roleplay and think it's '"uncool" - well, to me, art is expressing your feelings, so Roleplay is an art. If you think art is uncool, then that is a whole different level and you are not worth my time. 

P.S: Sorry for any minor spelling mistakes, English is not my native language. 

The force be with you. 

image *Reads the post again*

BULLFU**INGSH**! image

:). Age is a concept that shouldn't be used as a  meter. I can be just as mature as someone who is 18 or even older. Age is just one thing - who you are is completely different and doesn't really have anything to do with it. Generalizing really saddens me, but, afterall, the world did have a ton of bad changes in the last 50 years. Just because I wasn't born back then, I can see that some things worked better then than it does now. People change, industries change, the world changes - but sometimes to worse. Let's just hope it will change to something better in the future. As for Roleplaying, I am still seeking refugees where people still do this - being just multiplayer games or RPGs, I do not really care. Roleplaying is beyond the mechanics of a game, Roleplaying is art - Roleplaying is creativity - Roleplaying is living beyond your world, trying to escape - trying to do something that is not possible, and yet make it real. Roleplaying is not winning, as some said, there is NO WINNING. Roleplaying is beyond having a loser or not. It's art. And that's why some, these days, can't do it. It's too hard for them to process. It's what ruins the world. Power? Religion? Maybe. But the fact that people lower they're principles and aim lower is what really destroys important parts of history. Let's just hope it changes to better, as I said. 

[quote]ladies and gentlemen, MMORPGS became games for the average sellfish, consumist and capitalistic player, Roleplay is for the player who actually can enjoy the simplest parts of the game, not the LFR GOGOGO!!!.......    [/quote]

Roleplaying is not simple. That's what makes it so great. Roleplaying is creating, expressing, enhancing, acting and writing. Roleplaying is trying to become someone else and expand a universe in a way, apprently only text, yet so much more persistent. Those who see it as "uncool", they see it so because they either see people who are not good at it, or they cannot understand it. If you cannot see the reason behind a thing, or why the thing doesn't need a reason, they you shouldn't really do it - that's just my opinion, of course.

P.S: I didn't know how to quote another post inside my message, so I thought some regular BB code would work. 

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Most of the time, I roleplay an asshole.

Age is a concept that shouldn't be used as a  meter. I can be just as mature as someone who is 18 or even older. Age is just one thing - who you are is completely different and doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Erm. If maturity can't be measured by age, why do you say you can be as mature as an 18 year old? Your logic skills haven't developed quite to the end yet.

Also, age isn't a "concept". Your age is part of who you are. It has something to do with it. Maturity on the other hand is indeed a "concept" made by man and has nothing to do with your absolute properties (that means who you are), as it can't be measured.

Mind blown? I hope so.

• WolfthalWolfthal Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by FastSloth

Most of the time, I roleplay an asshole.

Age is a concept that shouldn't be used as a  meter. I can be just as mature as someone who is 18 or even older. Age is just one thing - who you are is completely different and doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Erm. If maturity can't be measured by age, why do you say you can be as mature as an 18 year old? Your logic skills haven't developed quite to the end yet.

Also, age isn't a "concept". Your age is part of who you are. It has something to do with it. Maturity on the other hand is indeed a "concept" made by man and has nothing to do with your absolute properties (that means who you are), as it can't be measured.

Mind blown? I hope so.

You win on that one. Indeed, that was a paradox. Instead of that, let's just say that age cannot masure maturity. As for age, yes, it may not be a concept - and it may be a part of who you are - but to a certain point. It changes. Things who change cannot permanently characterize you. 

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I think so. The other day I was driving by a park and saw them with capes and foam swords. Not long ago I came across a couple of guys cybering in a tavern in an mmorpg. I also saw this video online of this guy and his wife Role Playing as well.... It was hot!

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

The mindset is kind of dieing off. Most new/upcoming games don't really have good features for roleplayers as well anymore. I do occasionally see RP-only guilds recruiting in older/niche games. I imagine if your into it you would need to find a guild like that.

On the flip side cybering seems to be alive and well.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I personally don't enjoy the whole 'hail thou shalt blah blah blah' so I don't participate in them.

I can RP and 'pretend' or I can hang out with friends on vent, go kill this big dragon and get 'phat lewt'.

For me, if there is little fun in RP why RP?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I RP only in games that are built and intended specifically for that purpose.  That is not what MMOs are built for.  They are intended for combat and character progression, not roleplaying.

So no.  Nor should they.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by maplestone

MMORPGs are best left to what they're doing right now.

Goodness ... this entire forum would go *poof* if people took that attitude.

And that's a bad thing how?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I have never role played in any mmo. The closest I ever came to it was climbing a mountain in FFXI because I thought a view would be cool. (Attowha Chasm, of course).

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Suilebhain

I recall the good old days of DAOC where, on the roleplay servers, nearly everyone roleplayed to some degree

Even on roleplay servers, in MMOs the participation rate rarely ran higher than a trickle.

When the game companies ceased providing anything but lip-service, not even enforcing their own policies, we were officialy on our own.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

I kinda miss RPing in MMOs. I remember a few years ago I played on WoW private servers for their RP. It was actually fun cause there were RP cross faction alliances between guilds and etc. I always loved it but people think it's childish and look at you funny when you do that in MMOs so it died down and made me sad. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Roleplaying is for D&D, chatrooms and the bedroom.

In all places, I am Vin Diesel.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Sure do RP, but I usually save that for P&P nowadays.

RP is not something you can do by yourself and finding a good and fun gang for it is harder and harder nowadays.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Suilebhain

I recall the good old days of DAOC where, on the roleplay servers, nearly everyone roleplayed to some degree

Even on roleplay servers, in MMOs the participation rate rarely ran higher than a trickle.

When the game companies ceased providing anything but lip-service, not even enforcing their own policies, we were officialy on our own.

Do you have any idea how many man-hours would go into policing those servers for every little thing that an RPer could call foul on?

For every regular server being left unnoticed, I just can't see that much of a paid presence going into appeasing the vocal minority. RPers will cry on global chat about names that don't suit *their* specific standards, people not talkig in-character, etc - and then when you tell them that crying on global like this is breaking their own rules, they just pull out the capslock.

I have no probs with RPers, in fact, I tend to join their servers just tosee how they function... but the ones that tend to speak out the most are just attention-seeking hypocrites.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture