Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

changed my mind on Rift

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

well sort of... while i still maintain that GW2 has kinda put a damper on my other gaming i do feel differently about Rift as of late.

my current guild had a small group decide to return and play till GW2. i went along with it half heartedly, but since starting over again, i have to say i've been pleasantly surprised at how this typical themepark game has some nice twists, albeit small, and has won me over again.

the puzzles and achievements are fun. the questing is of course pretty much the same, but i do enjoy being able to level solely off the game's namesake. it's certainly added to my ease of leveling in that by the time i change zones i am just enough ahead that i can solo easily, yet not so far that the xp is too low.

also, i am looking forward to the next 1.9 patch and possibly even the xpac at this point.

details as to why this sudden change for me are unclear, but it's a pleasant game. oh, and i don't bother trying to pvp ;)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

did they bring xp/loot from rifting back up to snuff? I remember in Beta I was completely sold on the game .. then for release, they nerfed the crap out of loot and xp from rifting. I played 2 toons to endgame and was so thourougly bored half way through hms that I had to quit.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by azmundai

did they bring xp/loot from rifting back up to snuff? I remember in Beta I was completely sold on the game .. then for release, they nerfed the crap out of loot and xp from rifting. I played 2 toons to endgame and was so thourougly bored half way through hms that I had to quit.

new Instant Adventure for leveling with Dynamic Events as well as Zone invasions. so you should have plenty to do in events for leveling now, expecially with high levels mentoring down.

even mid level players can mentor down to the zone they enjoy leveling in most.

awesome....

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

new Instant Adventure for leveling with Dynamic Events as well as Zone invasions. so you should have plenty to do in events for leveling now, expecially with high levels mentoring down.

even mid level players can mentor down to the zone they enjoy leveling in most.

awesome....

Did you even read what you quoted?  Your response is an advertisement for Rift that has nothing to do with what you quoted.

xp from rifting is fine.  not the most efficient means though, but coupled with the mobs youll kill from going rift to rift its ok.  You wont really gear up from it though.  Can get a few nice pieces from the invasion sourcestones, but they dont happen all that frequently in the mid level zones since not many play there.

To the (free or paid) advertiser, IAs in the 10-30 game arent ging to do much for those bored with leveling, IAs become mindless grinding once you do a couple of them, and the scenery is the same old places that people are used to.  Its a nice addition, but it will be of more benefit for those not tired of the zones already.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i had the same problems. i remember a group of us in the cbt telling them they could not base an entire game off of just static rifts. i actually never made it to cap, so perhaps that is part of the appeal.

i will say that i have geared myself through planarite and puzzles. odd perhaps, but it works and has kept me interested.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse