Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW in decline on MMORPG.com

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Seems WoW is really in decline on these boards...

last year these boards had an average view of way over 300k each month, but that has gradually dropped to bout 70k over the last month. I think Blizzard should hurry with their next MMO, or the investors migth get stressed...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

last year these boards had an average view of way over 300k each month, but that has gradually dropped to bout 70k over the last month. I think Blizzard should hurry with their next MMO, or the investors migth get stressed...

You know what the sad part is? I don't like WoW, so don't take it that way.   I'm sure, as junk as Cataclysm was, D3 was, and MoP will be, that MoP will still sell more copies than GW2 =/

Just the nature of the beast, that is Blizzard.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Over the years many ingame friends and guildies have quit.  Slane Baanrit, one of those long time top guilds on Silver Hand finally called it quits in January.  There guys had been raiding since vanilla.  Raperty, one of the three original Silver Hand Scarab Lords, isn't playing anymore.  They may be getting replacements for people, but my friends are long gone.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Sooner or later people will get tired of playing the same game year in and year out.

Player interest declines in every game. We can't expect one game to rule forever.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

Blizzard is making more profit from WOW with less subscribers than they did at the height of 12m. Cataclysm had no where near the content compared to the previous expansions. Each expansion the dungeons and raids are fewer. Throw on top of it rehashed content. There hasn't been a major content patch in over 6 months. Add to it being summer which is always a lull for MMOs.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Over the years many ingame friends and guildies have quit.  Slane Baanrit, one of those long time top guilds on Silver Hand finally called it quits in January.  There guys had been raiding since vanilla.  Raperty, one of the three original Silver Hand Scarab Lords, isn't playing anymore.  They may be getting replacements for people, but my friends are long gone.

I dont think anyone is still playing since vanilla, maybe some have returned after long breaks, people like repetition, but there allways are those moments of a necessary change.

Anyway, people growing tired of games proves to me that its not an addiction but compulsive behaviour

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, there's just nothing really "new" about WOW.

Panda's have met with lukewarm reception, meanwhile there's a lot of buzz being created by titles such as TSW and GW2. (and a host of others).

Still lots of people playing WOW apparently, but there just isn't much to say I guess.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by MeTed

Blizzard is making more profit from WOW with less subscribers than they did at the height of 12m. Cataclysm had no where near the content compared to the previous expansions. Each expansion the dungeons and raids are fewer. Throw on top of it rehashed content. There hasn't been a major content patch in over 6 months. Add to it being summer which is always a lull for MMOs.

I dont think that's fair tbh. 

Cata revamped the entire 1-60 questing experience,  added 7 new zones,  6  raids ,14 dungeons and more.

You can complain that Blizzard sold out to the newbs and nerfed the challenge out of the game, You can say they made the 80-85 leveling too fast but you can't say Cata didnt have enough content. 

However, I do share your feelings on the way they patched the game. They should have planned another content patch to fall within these last 6 months.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

My hope would be that people are finally starting to see how little they get for that $15 sub fee. Kind of depressing when you recall the reason's we were given for a sub fee. WoW is the very definition of a cash cow.

We Been Milked.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by laserit

My hope would be that people are finally starting to see how little they get for that $15 sub fee. Kind of depressing when you recall the reason's we were given for a sub fee. WoW is the very definition of a cash cow.

We Been Milked.

That's bs. Cata wasn't the greatest expansion, but I don't feel I get too little for the sub. If you're not satisfied with the price tag, try some of those "free" to play games, and then see how much you need to fork out just to get the basics, like bag/bank slots, all the content unlocked, etc. You'll soon see that the $15 per month is actually dirt cheap.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Netspook

We Been Milked.

That's bs. Cata wasn't the greatest expansion, but I don't feel I get too little for the sub. If you're not satisfied with the price tag, try some of those "free" to play games, and then see how much you need to fork out just to get the basics, like bag/bank slots, all the content unlocked, etc. You'll soon see that the $15 per month is actually dirt cheap.

What does a $40 expansion have to do with a sub fee? We all have different idea's of value for money, some people are happy spending $25 for a sparkly pixel pony... power to them.

$15 a month for a new dungeon and some dalies every 6 months or $90 worth of subs, sure sounds like milking to me.

It's really too bad they were so greedy with this game.

It's not about the sub fee, It's about what they do with the money. There is nothing wrong with profit, but I do have a problem with obseen profit.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Sooner or later people will get tired of playing the same game year in and year out.

Player interest declines in every game. We can't expect one game to rule forever.

I agree and disagree..  I think it is possible for games to last for years, BUT much of that depends on the game play and mechanics..  Currently so many games are linear themepark rides, YES you can't add and change the content fast enough.. However.. I do believe if a game was more sandbox then themepark with the right dev team, you can easily keep up with the players demand for more.. However, the devs need to think outside the box completely and honestly, I don't see the talent out there to do so.. 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I've noticed a decline in game also, especially when D3 came out.  Most of those players probably came back to WoW by now.  

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Netspook

We Been Milked.

$15 a month for a new dungeon and some dalies every 6 months or $90 worth of subs, sure sounds like milking to me.

ye sounds incredible when you put it that way. 

RE netspook, in the last year and a half ive played lotr, aion, Guild wars 1 and Eve and only paid for the eve sub and not a penny extra for the others. So much content there is no way ill get through it all in the near future. 

TBC had a huge amount of content when that was released, lich king had thinned out world content, Cata even less.  Expensive to develop World content became 'streamlined' while raiding content remained constant.  Ask yourself, Why would Cata have less content than TBC when the customer base and investment is actually much greater, should it not be the reverse?  You have tbc with lower profits and greater content, and cata with lower content and higher profits - could it be those profits are getting channeled elsewhere?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Well, that's at least as relevant as xfire numbers......................

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Wow was never a great game it just had tons of people to group with. the only reason it survives now is people to group with. if you gave it swtors sad sub numbers all the flaws would be harped about to no end.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I would think with all thr WoW hate on these boards that the action the WoW section gets is indicative of nothing really. As for people thinking WoW is "milking" them for money how could they possibly? I used to play, I got bored, I quit. I'm not sure how Blizzard sneaks into anyone's house and steals their money, last time I checked people pay by choice.

Originally posted by Oberholzer

I would think with all thr WoW hate on these boards that the action the WoW section gets is indicative of nothing really. As for people thinking WoW is "milking" them for money how could they possibly? I used to play, I got bored, I quit. I'm not sure how Blizzard sneaks into anyone's house and steals their money, last time I checked people pay by choice.

oooook.  Your position is that $15 a month for a new dungeon and some dalies every 6 months or $90 worth of subs  is not milking profits in comparison to what other games offer for that kind of money - really?

Hers a sum for you:

WOW for 7 years and 3 expansions - aprox £1000 per person.  that £1000 gives you couple raids that is refreshed periodically and some dailies.

GW2 for 7 years and 3 expansions aprox £190 per person.

Milking it, oh just a teeny weeny bit maybe considering Blizzard has 10 MILLION +  subs per month.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

oooook.  Your position is that $15 a month for a new dungeon and some dalies every 6 months or $90 worth of subs  is not milking profits in comparison to what other games offer for that kind of money - really?

Hers a sum for you:

WOW for 7 years and 3 expansions - aprox £1000 per person.  that £1000 gives you couple raids that is refreshed periodically and some dailies.

Milking it, oh just a teeny weeny bit maybe considering Blizzard has 10 MILLION +  subs per month.

If only that was true but I am afraid you're wrong. WoW introduced a lot more than a couple of raids during those 3 expacs and all these patches.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth

Hers a sum for you:

If only that was true but I am afraid you're wrong. WoW introduced a lot more than a couple of raids during those 3 expacs and all these patches.

both games introduce content with the expansions that why i factored it out.  Ignore the first month after every expansion - what are you left with.

To make it simple, lets just look at subs and ignore expansion price.

WOW for 7 years of game play = about £800ish. 

GW2 for 7 years of game play, price £0.

Obviously blizzard have take a huge amount of profit that they have not re-invested in the game - you should expect that wow would have content almost immeasurably larger than any game.  But they dont, people play pvp, dailies and the latest level of raids.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Hers a sum for you:

Very dramatic, congratulations for that.  The point is you're not milked if you choose to pay. If people enjoy WoW and pay to play it how are they milked? I'm not arguing the math but the math isn't the point. If people (like myself) felt they were tired of the sameness of the game or bored or whatever they quit. Obviously I didn't think it was worht it anymore, I stopped paying. If other people enjoy the game they pay. Why is that hard for you to grasp?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Hers a sum for you:

both games introduce content with the expansions that why i factored it out.  Ignore the first month after every expansion - what are you left with.

To make it simple, lets just look at subs and ignore expansion price.

WOW for 7 years of game play = about £800ish. 

GW2 for 7 years of game play, price £0.

Obviously blizzard have take a huge amount of profit that they have not re-invested in the game - you should expect that wow would have content almost immeasurably larger than any game.  But they dont, people play pvp, dailies and the latest level of raids.

Well, true WoW costs a lot more. But they had a lot more content patches than GW. Before TBC there were 13 major content patch. In TBC they had fewer patches but they were huge. 

What they always seem to mess up is that they don't time their expansions properly. In Wotlk they released the last patch with the Lich King and then Cata was delayed for tooo long so there was no content. Cata seems to be heading the same way. The mistake they keep doing is that they have one big baddie in each xpac. Then he gets killed and bam no more patches. It's kinda silly. IF they didn't focus their last two expansions on the two main protagonists then they would have been able to come up with new stuff to bridge the gap till the expansion.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Hers a sum for you:

Very dramatic, congratulations for that.  The point is you're not milked if you choose to pay. If people enjoy WoW and pay to play it how are they milked? I'm not arguing the math but the math isn't the point. If people (like myself) felt they were tired of the sameness of the game or bored or whatever they quit. If other people enjoy the game they pay. Why is that hard for you to grasp?

Its not dramatic, its bare facts. Your points may be fair for many, but for many it is not.  Many dont play the game because of the richness of the content, they play because they are addicted.  Milking is where Blizzard very deliberatly focus on game elements that feed the addictive cycles,  They invest the minimum to feed that addiction to maintain the subscription base. 

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Haven't read the rest of the thread but does this actually say anything about wow or does it say more about these boards. I still play wow, in beta at the moment as well but as for these boards, i used to be here every day but now probably once a week.

Just get tired of the same threads over and over and over again;

1 - Wow numbers are wrong

2 - Blizzard hacking accounts

3 - Vanilla server threads

4 - Haven't played in a while, what's new

...and finally

5 - Threads telling everyone what a disaster the next expansion will be

Once you have been through these threads a few dozen times and you see no end to it, there is little to come back for time and again.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by jason_webb

Haven't read the rest of the thread but does this actually say anything about wow or does it say more about these boards. I still play wow, in beta at the moment as well but as for these boards, i used to be here every day but now probably once a week.

Just get tired of the same threads over and over and over again;

1 - Wow numbers are wrong

2 - Blizzard hacking accounts

3 - Vanilla server threads

4 - Haven't played in a while, what's new

...and finally

5 - Threads telling everyone what a disaster the next expansion will be

Once you have been through these threads a few dozen times and you see no end to it, there is little to come back for time and again.

Agree.

I still play WoW,but not as much even though I'm in the beta.Rarely do I visit forums for the game as it's always the same threads over and over and over.Not just here but other forums.The only sites I go to here and there are petopia and mmo champion,just to get info once in awhile.

Another reason I could see for the decline is because of other games recent releases and ones on the horizon.D3,Tera,TSW,GW2 and so on.Last year didn't have that much going on unless you were a TOR junkie.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

You know what the sad part is? I don't like WoW, so don't take it that way.   I'm sure, as junk as Cataclysm was, D3 was, and MoP will be, that MoP will still sell more copies than GW2 =/

Just the nature of the beast, that is Blizzard.

Cannot stand people like you.

I liked Cataclysm, D3 and will probably like Mists of Pandaria, none of them were junk. That is your opinion, stop spewing it as fact.

Millions more like Blizzard and it's games than those who do not, therefore if opinion should ever be made fact then it should be that Blizzard games are actually great shouldn't it? 

Also of course MoP will outsell GW2 by a clear mile, it has a massive audience, whereas GW2 has a small one (up to 3million maybe? Which is small compared to WoW's 10+mil.)

I don't think WoW is in a massive decline like a lot of people like to believe, it always goes down in subs a few months after an expansion, but gains them rapidly when the next expansion is released. It's always been like this.