Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death?

Im wonder how they the "death system" will work out. When Conan killed someone in the books/comic you didnt see him return 5min later so Conan could kill him again.

I havent seen any info about "death" on the AoC site, so i wonder if anyone know how FC will fix this?

Personally i dont want to kill somone in PvP, and then kill the same guy 5-10sec later :cough: WoW :cough:

What kind of "death system" would you like to see?

You are all noobs!

Comments

• PfexPfex Member Posts: 21

The only related thing that I have seen on the AoC forums is that there will be no dismembering in PvP. ::::26::

• futbolfeverfutbolfever Member Posts: 3
    The only thing I've read is that after death you respawn in a city. That's all I know. However I REALLY REALLY wish that this game let you dismember in PvP!!! Even blood squirting I don't care how graphic it is. This game looks like real life, why can't we apply the same rules?
  • DoomsayerDoomsayer Member Posts: 344
    I guess maybe cause all the blood splattering and limbs flying during a massive battle would cause some SERIOUS lag!

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

• milumilu Member Posts: 37

" guess maybe cause all the blood splattering and limbs flying during a massive battle would cause some SERIOUS lag!"

bla bla lag lag.always the same..

blood splattering is surely a client affect so why should that couse lag?

bad framerate isnt lag...

• HajenHajen Member Posts: 50

I dont care if there is some lag, as long i can chop the head of that stupid enemy! nah, but seriously, i would really like to see arms, legs and heads fly trough the air in the PvP area. Makes killing more fun

• HajenHajen Member Posts: 50

I dont care if there is some lag, as long i can chop the head of that stupid enemy! nah, but seriously, i would really like to see arms, legs and heads fly trough the air in the PvP area. Makes killing more fun ... srry about the double-posting, dunno what happened

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Here is a link that deserves a sticky thread... http://www.conan.ch/conanonline/interview_quotes.htm

It contains all the quotes from the AoC devs, sorted by subject.

On Death:

There is a special form of "death" in PvP - with less "downtime" as a result of dying. Details will be given closer to launch.

Gamespy, 17th May 2005 (Gaute Godager)

The way we handle death is that you will never lose any items or experience, but there is a detrimental effect on some items and on certain skills. None of these effects are permanent. The intention is that you should be somewhat "afraid" to die, but the result shouldn't be serious enough that you stop playing from irritation. On the other side, you shouldn't be blasé about your death, treating it as a means of travel or whatnot. Balance testing will show if we differentiate between PvP and PvE. Getting it all right will take some time, but we are working on different versions. The tools we play with are temporarily losing some skills, and making items deteriorate on death - basically what you see in most other online RPGs, but with our own twists...

IGN, 22th July 2005 (Gaute Godager)

Well, imagine working for months, maybe a year on your character, getting it up to a high level with the best equpiment etc etc.. And you are going out on a raid.. Just as the raid start, something happens, you get a mega lag.. The mobs don't realize that, and hack on you as normal.. You die, you loose your character and all the work you have put in it permanently.

We also have the risk of griefers sending you offline for good this way.. Say you are in the fields hunting rabbits, and some dude come with a full train of mobs who decide to have a taste of you instead (yeah I know.. bad AI, but it is just an example)..Would you say 'oh well' and make a new character? I have a feeling that in most cases, we would have lost a player there.

Permadeath is a great option in some games as it makes the gameplay more exiting and risky, but I think there are to many factors against it, to have a pure permadeath system in an MMO.

Forums, 12th August 2005 (Mjoellnir)

All monsters, humans and whatnot have several types of fatality moves enabled. This means, basically, that you can die in several horrible, graphic ways. This also means that you can do this to others. Depending on which monster it is, and how they get killed, different types of fatalities will be used including dismemberments and beheadings.

Ogaming, 20th January 2006 (Gaute Godager)

• CaniguaCanigua Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by futbolfever
    The only thing I've read is that after death you respawn in a city. That's all I know. However I REALLY REALLY wish that this game let you dismember in PvP!!! Even blood squirting I don't care how graphic it is. This game looks like real life, why can't we apply the same rules?

Because this isn't real life,but a game?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Pfex
    The only related thing that I have seen on the AoC forums is that there will be no dismembering in PvP. ::::26::

wow what a bummer, i was looking forward to that aspect of AOC above any other....allthought it is not enough to stop me from trying the game when it is released.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    You can still dismember in PvE :)

And I think if the community pushed for it enough the devs might change it to possible beheadings in PvP.. with say a crit at the end of a attack chain.

Even still it'll be bloody, you know that. Hehe.

• Lumus243Lumus243 Member Posts: 38

@baphamet

Oh dear god no, please go back to vanguard you wannabe omg 1m so 1337 hawtcore gamer.

DP's are fine right now, they support tactic combat and huge battles, meaningful pvp. Of course you could never understand that because you are a:

wannabe omg 1m so 1337 hawtcore gamer

And now go back to vanguard.

• spherisspheris Member Posts: 5
    No possibilities of losing items on your inventory or already equipped, there will be another kind of punishments.

Enough for me :)

Knowledge is the weapon

Originally posted by Lumus243
    @baphamet

Oh dear god no, please go back to vanguard you wannabe omg 1m so 1337 hawtcore gamer.

DP's are fine right now, they support tactic combat and huge battles, meaningful pvp. Of course you could never understand that because you are a:

wannabe omg 1m so 1337 hawtcore gamer

And now go back to vanguard.

excuse me? do i know you? and what does this have to do with my post? do i need your permission to be a fan of AOC? no i don't think so.

• whodixonwhodixon Member Posts: 28

Didn't I tell you to go back to vanguard where people like you belong to?

Vanguard is made by losers for losers, and now good bye.

man i hope your mammy doesn't buy this game for ya or let you use her credit card for it.

seriously though i hope the "M" rating will keep people like this guy away, although killing them (in game of course ) could be fun....sometimes.

on the death issue i just hope constantly meeting the same person on the battleground doesn't happen, although if you don't i'd imagine battles might be over too quickly

either way i trust FunCom to do age of conan right.

• Lumus243Lumus243 Member Posts: 38

Don't you worry about that, I've got my own cc.
    Or is this game 21+ ?

I'm usually a reasonable guy, but I just hate baphamet so much.

Calling others carebear and stuff, he (especially his attidude) just makes me sick.

• CaniguaCanigua Member Posts: 233

Or is this game 21+ ?
    I'm usually a reasonable guy, but I just hate baphamet so much.
    Calling others carebear and stuff, he (especially his attidude) just makes me sick.

Maybe you should go to those tread's then,and bash him there.

cause here you don't make sense at all,as it look from your post and his post,you're the one with bad attitude

While that flame did seem a little unprovoked, and random at the time... I can certainly understand the frustration with the 1337 kiddies always going on about "carebears".  Every time i see one of them post that word i want to reach through the screen and choke them... but I think the fact that they spend their time online discussing the carebears is punishment enough. 

Or is this game 21+ ?I'm usually a reasonable guy, but I just hate baphamet so much.Calling others carebear and stuff, he (especially his attidude) just makes me sick.

dude.... what are you talking about? seriously! i have not once in my entire life referred to anyone as a "carebear" in fact i despise that term.

you are either mistaking me for someone els or you are just flat out lying, my original screen name isn't even baphamet...it used to be angerr.

either way you need to chillax dude, if you want to know what i am about read angerr's old posts....i might be referred as a troll from time to time but i sure as hell don't go around thinking I'm "1337" calling people carebears and what not.

Originally posted by Salvatoris
    While that flame did seem a little unprovoked, and random at the time... I can certainly understand the frustration with the 1337 kiddies always going on about "carebears".  Every time i see one of them post that word i want to reach through the screen and choke them... but I think the fact that they spend their time online discussing the carebears is punishment enough. 

the funny thing is i totally understand this point and i too hate the "1337 kiddies" its the main reason why i quit playing wow two different times lol.

I'm sure this guy is just mistaking me for someone els, but if not i could care less really.

yeah.. I think the confusion may be with a couple of different people in the vanguard forum using the same avatar.... The recent "carebear" discussion over there definitely shows that you you are arguing against that kind of attitude. The other possibility is that this kid is mad at you for not hating vanguard...

yeah that other person using my avatar is my old account (unless there is someone els that i am unaware of using my avatar) and i never went around calling people carebear or acting like a 1337 dood or anything.

oddly enough, this isn't the first time i have been flamed for being a fan of vanguard and then coming over to this forum and contributing to the AOC discussions, apparently some people cant grasp the concept that i like mmorpg's in general not just vanguard.

and yeah, i have been anticipating AOC for a long time as well.....anyways i have derailed this topic enough, i still think it would be awsome to decapitate your enemies in pvp, i don't See why they don't implement it. ::::16::