Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matrix Online

Plus_OnePlus_One Member Posts: 47

Ok, 

I know, it's a totally dead game.

My question is what did they do wrong?

I wanted to play it but it was gone before I got the chance to try it.

I assume it sucked or else it would still be around, but I wondered if anyone who actually played it was around that could tell me what happened?  Why was it a failure?

Comments

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

To be honest, I liked the game despite the fact that it wasn't the most well-built game.  I played it after SWG's NGE fiasco, thinking I might've found my new home.  The SOE took over and well, I had to say goodbye to that idea.  The game could've been fun with more love put into it, just barely any resources to help it along killed it.  SOE wasn't the best choice to sell to.

• sirsammy33sirsammy33 Member Posts: 64

for me i loved the spy class .. sneck and hit in the balls is a classic ")

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by Plus_One

Ok, 

I know, it's a totally dead game.

My question is what did they do wrong?

I wanted to play it but it was gone before I got the chance to try it.

I assume it sucked or else it would still be around, but I wondered if anyone who actually played it was around that could tell me what happened?  Why was it a failure?

Launch was horrendous.  They really played up the community aspect,  and had some good ideas on paper,  but the real killer was the early combat system. 

The entire system was based around a "locked" combat system,  and while the moves and animations were pretty good considering (though highly repeated)  on launch the system was not ideal for taking out multiple opponents,  and that was often the case.   The system was clunky and it led to a very lackluster launch for a title that could have been amazing.

The community events I liked quite a bit,  but it always ended up with just standing around wherever morpheus or whoever was standing. 

The class system was pretty cool,  kind of like a mix of class an skill based,  and you could pretty much respec at any time.

I played the game on launch for a month or two,  I really can't remember much because I only logged in ever week or so to see if they changed anything.

Eventually I hear they got the combat system revamped and working so it wasn't so cumbersome,  but I never came back to try it.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

As someone who beta'd this game,

It didn't help that they completely SEVERELY changed what was in the last day of beta to the first day of launch.  They had an avid community, their own radio stations, and a HUGE following. One thing you don't do is mess with something that works.

This is the reason NGE was so poorly recieved, the recent EvE updates, and the like.

Game died shortly after launch popularity-wise and NEVER gained... at all.

• MindsweepMindsweep Member Posts: 8
    SOE did there work to kill this game, would have been more fair if they made it F2P imo. I played the game until SOE finally closed it down. Most of the factions are still around today and we are right now planning on playing on the same TOR serves.

I think the game community had a lot to do with players staying to the end, as it was unique.if you ask me. I played as i really like the sci-fi story and the whole Matrix World, and i have never met so many friends in a MMO before.
  • Dward127Dward127 Member Posts: 46

man i wish they would bring this back as a free to play game or a pay/free hybrid. 

• btallasbtallas Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Dward127

man i wish they would bring this back as a free to play game or a pay/free hybrid. 

Wholeheartedly 100% agree with you.  I would love to play the game again.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

The game had potential but it was far from anything like the movies. At least it didn't seem so to me. I played it for about a month or so but could not get into it. It is the danger of trying to model an MMO (or any game) after an existing storyline that many people already know. LOTRO can suffer from this as does many others. Next one that may go through this is probably Elder Scrolls Online. I would hope not but what I have heard the lead designer say just makes me think it will be Elder Scrolls in name and only with some nod towards the graphics style but without substance.

Let's party like it is 1863!